Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

I'd rather have constant freaking out and high-fiving than another "Well, the car exploded exactly as we predicted it would beforehand on paper, because we can't improvise or allow any uncertainty when we use this much C4 :geno:" from Jamie.

Jaime usually reacts though, and that makes it all the better because of how :geno: he is most of the time.

The build team are just annoying scripted cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Jaime should always be in the fire suit. ALWAYS.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DurosKlav posted:

Wow this season of Storm Cashers. Who the gently caress pissed in everyones coffee? Everyone is at each others throats this year.

Less drama, more drop-dead-scary clouds and bad weather please

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

DurosKlav posted:

Wow this season of Storm Cashers. Who the gently caress pissed in everyones coffee? Everyone is at each others throats this year.

It's starting to turn me off to the show, because I tune in for...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

...drop-dead-scary clouds and bad weather

Everyone is being a total rear end in a top hat beside Chris Chittick (the pudgy guy with Reed).

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 2, 2009

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I am not digging this heavy focus on Reed and his crew and their drama. It was much better when it was balanced between the two groups (TIV/DOW and Reed). TIV would be so much more successful if they had someone like Reed navigating for them though. I just hate how he is always loving YELLING. Joel hit it right on the head last night about being loud and over exaggerating everything.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Yeah the focus on personalities has been a drag. Hopefully the show will improve now that they have the VORTEX2 armada to cover.

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 2, 2009

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Having a wife that works in reality TV (and some of the people who work on her current project worked on Storm Chasers in previous seasons) I can tell you this:

99.99999% of the drama on any reality TV show is completely forced by the producers. They don't feed the talent the lines, per se, but they do sure as poo poo put them in situations that they know will result in some fire. And if the drama isn't big enough or last long enough they will keep re-shooting and prompting the talent until they do get the reaction their story notes are calling for.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm just wondering where the tension between DOW and TIV came from. There was a little last season because DOW was being a little timid but this year head guy in DOW is just being a cock and its way over the top. I can understand everyone being annoyed at Reed since he doesnt really seem to be doing any of this for any other reason then to make money off his website, plus he's an annoying turd.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

I'm just wondering where the tension between DOW and TIV came from. There was a little last season because DOW was being a little timid but this year head guy in DOW is just being a cock and its way over the top. I can understand everyone being annoyed at Reed since he doesnt really seem to be doing any of this for any other reason then to make money off his website, plus he's an annoying turd.

I think Josh realized, especially thanks to this massive government grant and his position as one of the leaders of VORTEX2, that Sean needs him infinitely more than he needs Sean. Probably after watching last season, he now knew he had complete power over TIV and he would never have to put up with Sean's attitude/behavior since he was running the show.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Anyone catch South Park this week?

Click here for the full 800x451 image.

They weren't mentioned by name, but it looks like that's the Northwestern.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DurosKlav posted:

From what I saw last year, Josh is the ultimate :smug: because "He's not doing it for the science, but I am. HOW DARE a mere plebe try to privately research the same thing I am; doesn't he know that I'm from the government, which means I know better than he does?" It pissed me off so much I fast forwarded through their little "conversation" when I watched it last night. I guess I'll watch it again later to see exactly what Josh threatened.

Reed is no better, though; between his screaming all the time, being a douchebag fratboy, and "no we don't have to go no we're staying no no WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU LOLLYGAGGERS DOING WE GOTTA GO :argh: " So from a LOLbertarian standpoint I want him to shove his work up Dr. Dickbag's rear end, I don't want to see him anymore.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I'm just wondering where the tension between DOW and TIV came from. There was a little last season because DOW was being a little timid but this year head guy in DOW is just being a cock and its way over the top.

Basically because Sean is like a dude who shows up to a corporate board meeting in a smudged t-shirt and jeans, and then gets all butt-hurt when no one takes him seriously. To be perfectly honest, he comes across as enough of a cock that I don't mind seeing him being taken down a peg. He's that guy that shows up when you're meeting with a potential new client and tells them an unsolicited dick joke.

That being said, the *only* part of this season I've truly liked so far are the flashbacks to last year's scary clouds and evil weather. This show makes me feel like my HDTV wasn't a waste of money at all.

DurosKlav posted:

I can understand everyone being annoyed at Reed since he doesnt really seem to be doing any of this for any other reason then to make money off his website, plus he's an annoying turd.

nmfree posted:

From what I saw last year, Josh is the ultimate :smug: because "He's not doing it for the science, but I am.

He's not in it for the science. He's got a lot of fancy gadgets, but no instinct :smug: He's gonna rue the day he went up against The Extreme.

god someone please stop me

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Holy poo poo dirty jobs was funny as hell tonight when Mike was trying to talk to the asian guy who didn't really speak english. Mike's absolute confusion was the best.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

nmfree posted:

From what I saw last year, Josh is the ultimate :smug: because "He's not doing it for the science, but I am. HOW DARE a mere plebe try to privately research the same thing I am; doesn't he know that I'm from the government, which means I know better than he does?" It pissed me off so much I fast forwarded through their little "conversation" when I watched it last night. I guess I'll watch it again later to see exactly what Josh threatened.

Reed is no better, though; between his screaming all the time, being a douchebag fratboy, and "no we don't have to go no we're staying no no WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU LOLLYGAGGERS DOING WE GOTTA GO :argh: " So from a LOLbertarian standpoint I want him to shove his work up Dr. Dickbag's rear end, I don't want to see him anymore.

Or maybe Discovery just edited out something Sean said to paint their protagonist in a positive light? It wouldn't be the first time they've "creatively edited" a segment.

And as much as I hate the drama Discovery forces, it did turn the topic away from Mythbusters: Build Team Chat. I think half of this thread is filled with that poo poo.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

For any Storm Chasers fan who wants some nasty green clouds without fake drama, give this a rent. It's basically a prequel with less of Sean's usually douchebaggery and no Reed.

It does, however, feature the redneck version of Reed :banjo:

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
I just want to call Bullshit on the discovery channel for not letting us see the non-frozen pigs head get smashed. I was to see hi-speed footage of that.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

burmart posted:

I just want to call Bullshit on the discovery channel for not letting us see the non-frozen pigs head get smashed. I was to see hi-speed footage of that.

I think they tried playing the "too graphic for home viewers" card before, but I don't remember for which myth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They were happy to show a pig getting torn in half by a steel cable a few years ago, I wonder what changed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think it was just because it was something smacking into a 'face' that made them censor themselves.

Sure, the face belonged to a pig and had already been cut off the skull, but it was still recognisable as a face.

Also, did anyone else notice the cool omniwheels on the forklift Grant was using? I've seen them on prototype robots before, but never on anything in the real world.

EDIT - Cool, the company website, Airtrax.com also lists omni-directional scissor lifts. I would have killed for one of those when I was a teenager working painting houses.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 6, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT - Cool, the company website, Airtrax.com also lists omni-directional scissor lifts. I would have killed for one of those when I was a teenager working painting houses.

This needs to be a Modern Marvels episode or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, did anyone else notice the cool omniwheels on the forklift Grant was using? I've seen them on prototype robots before, but never on anything in the real world.

Hell yes and they were badass. It went by so quick that I did a double take on it and had to rewind and watch again. It was a "wait, what the hell, did that forklift just move diagonally?" moment.

Also, I'd be willing to bet blood splattered everywhere in the 5 second pig as opposed to the 15 minute one when the blood was frozen solid and that's probably what they didn't show.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Gorilla Salad posted:

Prototype This did an episode with those wheels- they put them on a truck, and not the way you think:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/prototype-this-traffic-busting-truck.html

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For any Storm Chasers fan who wants some nasty green clouds without fake drama, give this a rent. It's basically a prequel with less of Sean's usually douchebaggery and no Reed.

It does, however, feature the redneck version of Reed :banjo:

Storm Chasers is at its best when Sean is perpetually at the verge of tears. The last couple of years were very full of this. I don't like super douche Sean as much.

I have my DVR set to copy Lobstermen and I'm too lazy to take it off and I gotta reiterate, goddamn this did not need to be a full series. Should have just let Storm Chaser fill the DC gap.

I wish there was a proper replacement for Everest. I liked the show, but it got pretty grim after a while. Expedition: Africa on History was pretty neat but ehhhh.

What the hell happened to that show Discovery had years back. It was like a huge race across all kinds of terrain on foot or something. I want to say it had "challenge" in the title. That would be cool. Alaska Experiment tends to run along side DC so it doesn't really help fill the void.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish there was a proper replacement for Everest. I liked the show, but it got pretty grim after a while.

It was interesting but I don't know that grim is the word I would have used. I thought it was more repetitive than anything. I guess there's only so many ways you can build up towards the actual summit attempts of the 'main' cast members.

Also, wasn't there a fair number of deaths on one expedition this year? I thought I read that. It might have been on K2.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

I just need to say how terrible ghost lab is. It comes down to the klinge brothers trying to be scientific about the whole thing and sounding like god drat retards. Yes, that sound you recorded sure does sound like a voice when its been manipulated to hell. That grainy picture of a window sure does look like a face! HAUNTED MOTHER FUCKER

edit: Dont get me started on the god drat AURA MACHINE. What the gently caress is this poo poo

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cotato posted:

I just need to say how terrible ghost lab is. It comes down to the klinge brothers trying to be scientific about the whole thing and sounding like god drat retards. Yes, that sound you recorded sure does sound like a voice when its been manipulated to hell. That grainy picture of a window sure does look like a face! HAUNTED MOTHER FUCKER

edit: Dont get me started on the god drat AURA MACHINE. What the gently caress is this poo poo

The sad part is, people look at that and don't think bullshit, they think it's real science.

Keep in mind, when they were on Wife Swap, the Heene family was the science family in the advertising. People hear big words and sciency sounding ideas like "vibrational energy" and think "well, that sounds about right".

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm watching Ghost Lab right now. What the hell, they're yelling at a ghost.

"John Wilkes Booth! You do not kill a president! Come out NOW!"

This may be the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've ever seen.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Cotato posted:

This is true but Mike Rowe narrates it so...

Seriously I would probably tune in to listen to him read the yellow pages out loud.

Also, random-does anyone else think it's dumb that they blur out vomit on Dirty Jobs? I mean, christ-we've seen far, far worse on that show.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

spixxor posted:

Also, random-does anyone else think it's dumb that they blur out vomit on Dirty Jobs? I mean, christ-we've seen far, far worse on that show.
Standards & Practicies is a strange, strange beast. Like ABC's Standard's & Practices won't let people say the word 'vagina'. Even on a goddamn medical show (Grey's Anatomy). Discovery's is probably all like "Oh Vomit is vulgar blur that out! What, a toilet that exploded and flooded a basement with poo poo and sewage? Oh, I see nothing wrong with that!"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm pretty sure they showed grant throw up in the drinking myth episode from 3 weeks ago or so didn't they? It wasn't like a spray of chunks or anything but still.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Gazaar posted:

I'm pretty sure they showed grant throw up in the drinking myth episode from 3 weeks ago or so didn't they? It wasn't like a spray of chunks or anything but still.
Mythbusters blurred out the meatier vomiting before, like Adam's seasickness vomits.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, seems like anything that doesn't resemble just liquid is blurred. However, that's pretty much all of what Grant's vomit was that day.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Looks like they're getting a new Kari, probably a fill in during her maternity leave. Well, at least that's what it seemed like to me with the chick who went to the rocket launch in tonights episode.

I think new Kari is hotter than old Kari.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was a little disappointed that they didn't go into what exactly failed on the rocket at all. It didn't just spin out of control it burned through somewhere because there was a big hole burned through the side of the rocket.

Has Kari actually had her baby yet? She certainly seems ready to pop on tonight's episode especially since she's so far along they didn't want her to go that far out into the middle of nowhere to do the test.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

I was a little disappointed that they didn't go into what exactly failed on the rocket at all. It didn't just spin out of control it burned through somewhere because there was a big hole burned through the side of the rocket.

It looked like Grant's combustion chamber sprung a leak. You can see a second flame coming out the side during the slow-motion replay.

quote:

Has Kari actually had her baby yet? She certainly seems ready to pop on tonight's episode especially since she's so far along they didn't want her to go that far out into the middle of nowhere to do the test.

Well, how serious do we think they were when they saw her off at the warehouse? "Is that my water?" :gonk:

(Of course, in the real world, she had it months ago.)

And is it just me or was it a huge procedural lapse to not use the Lexan panels for the model rocket test? Especially with a pregnant woman there.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 12, 2009

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think her baby is almost 5 months old now. She had it sometime during June, I think.

From what wiki says, there's only 1 episode left this season anyways so I imagine she'll be back for the start of next season.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I think her baby is almost 5 months old now. She had it sometime during June, I think.

From what wiki says, there's only 1 episode left this season anyways so I imagine she'll be back for the start of next season.
I think for the spring batch of episodes they'll have a temporary replacement for Kari, as she's probably going to have maternity leave. But yeah, next fall she'll likely be back.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
She's already back filming:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah, there was a temporary replacement, Jessi Combs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Same here. They just glossed over the giant flame that shut up through the top of the rocket and burned the poo poo out of the dummy.

• Locked thread