Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

colonp posted:

I'm still contemplating getting Live. What are your biggest annoyances with Live? Ie. what is it bad at compared to, say, Reaper.

Well, Reaper is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

colonp posted:

I'm still contemplating getting Live.
And you've used the fully functional demo?

quote:

What are your biggest annoyances with Live?
MIDI editing in clips. It'd be nice if it'd jump to fullscreen for just that.

Pencil tool instead of automation envelopes per clip. (I don't even know why, I'm just used to that from Cubase).

Higher quality timestretching when rendering, I liked Cubase's MPEX (but they licensed that from Prosoniq).

A Cubase style arpeggiator/chorder, but I'm going to build that with Max for Live anyway.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 8, 2014

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

colonp posted:

Smartarse! I have tried it a couple of times, but got burnt out on the tutorials every time (I'm poo poo at focusing on stuff like that). I wasn't as good at the technical poo poo back then though, so maybe another try is in order.

Thanks.

There's a video linked a few posts back that is pretty amazing. There's no flashing lights or shiny things in it, but he goes fast enough that it probably won't bore you if that's been the problem in the past.

I'm not super technical either, and I got a lot of of it insofar as making the arcane stuff seem rather simple.

http://bit.ly/w1Bl8

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

colonp posted:

Smartarse!

If tutorials aren't going to do the job of teaching you you have to find someone nearby who can show you the ropes. It really helps with DAWs which are all weird kinds of applications anyway.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

chief touching you posted:

Well, Reaper is free.

cockos.com posted:

Purchase a license directly from Cockos by sending a check or money order in US dollars drawn on a US bank.

$225: full commercial license

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Reaper is $60 for a personal use license, which is probably adequate for 95% of the user base. Considering the quality of the program, the reasonable price, and the generous evaluation policy, people should support the poo poo out of Cockos.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

colonp posted:

What are your biggest annoyances with Live?

- Can't directly edit automation mappings outside of the "learn" function. This is a huge pain if you ever want to set up automation with, say, a rackmount synth that doesn't have any onboard controls to "learn" from.

- Can't record automation data into clips (Ableton claims this would require a pretty fundamental redesign of the program and is unlikely to happen anytime soon)

- No curves in automation envelopes

- Can't change the scale of VU meters

also it's not an annoyance per se, but the MIDI editing in Live is pretty basic compared to the likes of Sonar or Cubase.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

h_double posted:

- Can't record automation data into clips (Ableton claims this would require a pretty fundamental redesign of the program and is unlikely to happen anytime soon)

Wait what?
Must be confusing my terminology cause I swear you can do that.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm just messing around with one of the videos posted, and I have this random frequency filter on a clip which I've been drawing random points with. Everything was fine and dandy, I could hear the filter going in and out with the points I drew, but now suddenly I can't hear it.

Is there a mute function I'm unaware of? I can hear the notes just fine, just not the automation I drew in with the filter.

edit : I thought the automation bar was red or something before too ...

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 13, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

mezzir posted:

Wait what?
Must be confusing my terminology cause I swear you can do that.

Nope, you can draw automation into a clip, but you can't map a knob on a control surface and record the knob movements at the clip level, only into tracks in Arrange mode.

The thing that's a little wacky is that clip-level automation envelopes are an offset, not an absolute value. If you add clip automation for a MIDI CC (say, for a filter's cutoff frequency), it is not sending an absolute value from 0-127, it's sending a percentage from 0-100. So if you have a synth preset where that cutoff frequency is initially 0, drawing an automation envelope into a clip for that parameter isn't going to have any effect, since X% of 0 is always 0.

Ableton's argument is that if clips + arrange mode tracks BOTH sent absolute values for automation data, there would be no way for the program to know which automation takes priority. With the current arrangement you CAN do some neat things like draw a wild zig-zaggy filter sweep into the clip automation, and then put a gradual fade in/out of the same control at the track/arrange level. But the other 90% of the time I wish I could just directly record the automation into the clip. It seems like there ought to be a setting where you could declare a clip (or even individual envelope) as either "relative" or "absolute", people have been clamoring for this for several years but so far no go.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

pennywisdom posted:

I'm just messing around with one of the videos posted, and I have this random frequency filter on a clip which I've been drawing random points with. Everything was fine and dandy, I could hear the filter going in and out with the points I drew, but now suddenly I can't hear it.

Is there a mute function I'm unaware of? I can hear the notes just fine, just not the automation I drew in with the filter.

edit : I thought the automation bar was red or something before too ...

You need to return to arrangement (button at the top with three horizontal lines, red when you've made changes that differ from your arrangement view), or maybe you deleted the Auto Filter you had automated.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

rustyw posted:

You need to return to arrangement (button at the top with three horizontal lines, red when you've made changes that differ from your arrangement view), or maybe you deleted the Auto Filter you had automated.

If you touch a knob at all it'll basically go into manual override mode and ignore automation you've scripted in favor of what you're doing with it. Hit f10 to stop everything playing in session view and only play stuff dictated in Arrangement view mode (individual clips etc will stop as well in favor of whats on the timeline for that channel).

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

h_double posted:

This is seriously my biggest complaint with Live. I love it to pieces but this limitation can be infuriating at times.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I can't find the groove or swing settings anywhere. Shouldn't it be here?

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

pennywisdom posted:

I can't find the groove or swing settings anywhere. Shouldn't it be here?

Groove is applied on a clip by clip basis, it's in the clip view.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Ah there we go.

I seem to have run into another snag. I can hear this track when it soloed, but when it's put back into the mix I can't hear it at all.

edit: loving hell same issue as before, got it.

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 15, 2009

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

rustyw posted:

Groove is applied on a clip by clip basis, it's in the clip view.

I'm not 100% on this, but it's also in the Arrange View underneath the File browser window. Looks like a bunch of sideways wavy lines.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 8, 2014

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

colonp posted:

Thanks again dudes.

Which controllers are available specifically for Live? I know there's the Akai one and a Novation one. Any others? Of those, the novation one seems to be the best value for the money.
I perform with both and I'd way, yeah, the Launchpad is the back bang for your buck, but sometimes those knobs on the APC40 are awesome. It depends on what you want to do. I'm not aware of any other controllers that have the same kind of functionality as these two devices.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I perform with both and I'd way, yeah, the Launchpad is the back bang for your buck, but sometimes those knobs on the APC40 are awesome. It depends on what you want to do. I'm not aware of any other controllers that have the same kind of functionality as these two devices.

How easy was it to pick up adjusting levels (and not just volume) with the Launchpad?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

rustyw posted:

How easy was it to pick up adjusting levels (and not just volume) with the Launchpad?

It's a breeze. While the levels are discreet, you can still get a continuous sounding gradual effect for your sends or pans, etc...
The only thing I don't like is not having everything available to me at once, like with an APC40. Having to switch views to mix or to play my drum rack limits me if i want to launch a new clip at the same time. Additional Launchpads would help, but by then I'd have spent the money to get an APC40...

I do have a NanoKontrol that does help with it, but my MIDI control messages get jumbled often. Is it just cheap or am I doing something wrong? My process seems fine but it doesn't always pick it up correctly or drops the MIDI connection and I have to ride the fader for a bit before it picks up again to the corresponding fader. Could it be a cheap USB cable too?

colonp posted:

How re-programmable are they? Like, could I use the buttons on the Launchpad as keys for synths etc? Also are either pressure sensitive? I've already got an Axiom 25 for keys and knobs, but need something with faders. I guess I could go with the Launchpad and a Korg Nanokontrol.

They're not pressure sensitive.
User 1 mode allows you to control the active(record enabled) drum rack or impulse. I haven't tried it yet with Sampler or any other piano roll, but it works best with the drum rack since the grids are similar.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm in the market for a pad controller to use with Ableton's Drum Racks. I've been looking at the M Audio Trigger Finger and the Akai MPD 24. I'd like to mimic a hardware sampler, but was wondering which of these controllers integrates best with drum racks. I was also considering the launchpad, but the fact that those pads aren't velocity sensitive kind of turned me off. Any thoughts?

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

k0konutz posted:

I do have a NanoKontrol that does help with it, but my MIDI control messages get jumbled often. Is it just cheap or am I doing something wrong? My process seems fine but it doesn't always pick it up correctly or drops the MIDI connection and I have to ride the fader for a bit before it picks up again to the corresponding fader. Could it be a cheap USB cable too?

Just got a launchpad, been thinking about a nanokontrol, interested in more information regarding its potential persnicketiness.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm in the market for a pad controller to use with Ableton's Drum Racks. I've been looking at the M Audio Trigger Finger and the Akai MPD 24. I'd like to mimic a hardware sampler, but was wondering which of these controllers integrates best with drum racks. I was also considering the launchpad, but the fact that those pads aren't velocity sensitive kind of turned me off. Any thoughts?

You might want to take a look at a Korg padkontrol. I have one and it feels pretty nice.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

k0konutz posted:

It's a breeze. While the levels are discreet, you can still get a continuous sounding gradual effect for your sends or pans, etc...
The only thing I don't like is not having everything available to me at once, like with an APC40. Having to switch views to mix or to play my drum rack limits me if i want to launch a new clip at the same time. Additional Launchpads would help, but by then I'd have spent the money to get an APC40...

They're not pressure sensitive.
User 1 mode allows you to control the active(record enabled) drum rack or impulse. I haven't tried it yet with Sampler or any other piano roll, but it works best with the drum rack since the grids are similar.

I use the Nanopad live 2 times a week never had a problem with it at all and I bent a cord inside the mini-usb input dropping with and my xiosynth down 2 flights of stairs when my back pack broke.

gently caress YOU JANSPORT. One broke volume knob one bent mini usb. Everything still works perfect after I popped the knob on and used my old iriver hp-120 mini usb cable.

I never had problems with midi gettting jumbled before. I used 4 banks with one instance of drum rack. I also use 3 more tracks also with 4 banks of 12 sounds each. I switch thru these with just the f keys on my keyboard and the pads scene button.

I want a nano kontrol and launchpad combo badly.

Are you using a hub? what is on that irq in addition to that pad?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rkelly posted:

I use the Nanopad live 2 times a week never had a problem with it at all and I bent a cord inside the mini-usb input dropping with and my xiosynth down 2 flights of stairs when my back pack broke.

I've treated my Nanopad very, very gently since I got it, it's never been thrown in a bag or dropped or whatever.

Pad #7 is now "sticky" and doesn't always work properly :sigh:

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Just got a launchpad, been thinking about a nanokontrol, interested in more information regarding its potential persnicketiness.

I will try a different USB port and a different cable, perhaps using a hub also and see what my findings are.

My Launchpad freaked out yesterday, it would play the same clip over by itself and I couldn't switch out of views and even pressing stop on the transport in Ableton didn't do anything, it's like a button was stuck. Is there a "stop all midi" feature in ableton?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Computer Jones posted:

I've treated my Nanopad very, very gently since I got it, it's never been thrown in a bag or dropped or whatever.

Pad #7 is now "sticky" and doesn't always work properly :sigh:

I had a couple sticky pads out of the box and Korg was really good about replacing it...how long have you had it?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Elder posted:

I had a couple sticky pads out of the box and Korg was really good about replacing it...how long have you had it?

7 months, and the problem appeared a month ago.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

I had this kick that I really liked so I put it into a drum rack, now it sounds really filtered and has a lot of the kick drum beater sound in it too, and missing a lot of low end. I checked to make sure that there weren't any fx on the rack or in the individual drum hit, even tried putting onto a fresh brand new drum rack, same issue. All my other sounds that I've chopped up and put in there sound fine. Ideas?

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

k0konutz posted:

I had this kick that I really liked so I put it into a drum rack, now it sounds really filtered and has a lot of the kick drum beater sound in it too, and missing a lot of low end. I checked to make sure that there weren't any fx on the rack or in the individual drum hit, even tried putting onto a fresh brand new drum rack, same issue. All my other sounds that I've chopped up and put in there sound fine. Ideas?

Check your ADSR settings and your volume? Drum Rack defaults to -12dB and a 50ms release time when you add a new sound (regardless of changing the default settings).

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

k0konutz posted:

If it's just the kick, you could try putting it into an Impulse. Otherwise, you could compress the kick and put a limiter on the end of the chain to beef it up, although it may sound a little...off.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

colonp posted:

How re-programmable are they? Like, could I use the buttons on the Launchpad as keys for synths etc? Also are either pressure sensitive? I've already got an Axiom 25 for keys and knobs, but need something with faders. I guess I could go with the Launchpad and a Korg Nanokontrol.

You can use user mode 1 to play synthesizers and other virtual instruments. It's designed for controlling Drum Rack but you could use it for other things. It will take a while to get used to the layout of the notes though, and as was said, they are not velocity sensitive. It has a range of 72 notes (the 64 buttons in the grid, plus the scene launch buttons on the side).

User mode 2 is for continuous control commands - in other words, you can assign it to control buttons and knobs in Ableton. You can assign a single button to turn something on or off, or a series of buttons (length is up to you) to control a continuous parameter of some effect or instrument (or, as I've discovered, the tempo of the whole project). You can also send MIDI data to the Launchpad to make the buttons in user mode 2 light up. You can make little animations this way. It's pretty cool.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I'll take a look at the MIDI documentation later, but do you know offhand why you can't assign useful continuous controller messages from User 1? I wanted to set the Beat Repeat parameters along the top of User 1 so I could use the drum rack at the same time. It 'works', but instead of being evenly spaced like in User 2, it's got one huge leap and a bunch of useless tiny ones. I imagine it's just the sent notes themselves being unevenly spaced, but it's going to get annoying. I don't have a 64 space drum rack, let me use the rest for something else. :(

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I'll take a look at the MIDI documentation later, but do you know offhand why you can't assign useful continuous controller messages from User 1? I wanted to set the Beat Repeat parameters along the top of User 1 so I could use the drum rack at the same time. It 'works', but instead of being evenly spaced like in User 2, it's got one huge leap and a bunch of useless tiny ones. I imagine it's just the sent notes themselves being unevenly spaced, but it's going to get annoying. I don't have a 64 space drum rack, let me use the rest for something else. :(

It's because the note layout isn't the same as in user 2. The top row in user 1 goes E3, F3, F#3, G3, C6, C#6, D6, D#6 (if my math is correct). So if you're in MIDI learn mode in Live and you press the first and last buttons of that row, you're assigning something to the range of notes E3 to D#6, which is a lot of notes, only a small amount of which are on the top row (the rest are on the right side of the Launchpad, below C6-D#6). If you want even spacing, you'll have to assign it to just, e.g., E3 to G3. Or if that is not enough values for you, you could use, e.g., the first halves of the top two rows, which would be C3 to G3. Or hell, you could set the whole grid to control just one parameter, very finely.

It is possible. This caused me a lot of grief at first too until I figured it out.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

I keep thinking about the APC40. I really need that control over my tracks and plug-ins without having to switch pages. And buying a 2nd launchpad would have meant I spent the money I could have on a single APC40.
I love my Launchpad since it's so compact and bus-powered and but I've found that in my short time using Live, my needs have evolved.
Any cons about the APC40 in comparison the the Launchpad?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Computer Jones posted:

7 months, and the problem appeared a month ago.

You should contact them and at least see about getting a replacement. I think it's sort of a common issue and the Nanos are so cheap anyway I think they will send you a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!