Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

IceNiner posted:

A Scanner Darkly

And from the same director: Waking Life, which I prefer slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I've been watching some minor gems from the '70s, including Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Shivers, Ms. .45 and Badlands. Any other recommendations for overlooked/underrated/flawed-but-good horror/thriller/sci-fi flicks from that decade?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

bad movie knight posted:

I've been watching some minor gems from the '70s, including Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Shivers, Ms. .45 and Badlands. Any other recommendations for overlooked/underrated/flawed-but-good horror/thriller/sci-fi flicks from that decade?

Good lord - you can spend a lifetime watching those -

Galaxy of Terror (Cameron's first unofficial film), Star Crash, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Glove, Hausu, Poor Pretty Eddie AKA Redneck County Rape, No Way Out, etc.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm looking for good ghost story movies, preferably quite gothic. This is for Halloween with my girlfriend. I'd prefer a ghost story over a horror film that wasn't a ghost film, but that could work too, especially if it's a period piece (because I love those).

Honestly, I'm thinking of something along the lines of A Christmas Carol. Off the top of my head, I've seen Sleep Hollow, Sweeney Todd, Corpse Bride, Ghost, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, The Sixth Sense, Field of Dreams, probably more.

I guess I'm looking for a ghost or gothic tale that's more drama than horror (but still creepy or ominous). I'm thinking of possibly the original Frankenstein, which isn't a ghost story I guess but it could work.

teabagged
Jul 6, 2007

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

Primer doesn't take place in a single room but it's relatively confined to a small area, and the focus is entirely on dialogue. In fact, the story relies entirely on dialogue and editing, which is such an awesome and unusual approach to scifi. One of my favorites of all time, the less you know about it going in, the better.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Journalism/Newsroom movies? Stuff like All the President's Men, Zodiac, Shattered Glass, and season five of 'The Wire.'

State of Play is quite good as well. Not on the level of the ones you mention, but an enjoyable and relatively thoughtful drama.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

Good lord - you can spend a lifetime watching those -

Galaxy of Terror (Cameron's first unofficial film), Star Crash, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Glove, Hausu, Poor Pretty Eddie AKA Redneck County Rape, No Way Out, etc.
Thanks! I'm stocking up my Netflix queue with those I can find.

Next up are the other early Cronenbergs I haven't seen -- namely, Rabid and The Brood.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

bad movie knight posted:

Thanks! I'm stocking up my Netflix queue with those I can find.

Next up are the other early Cronenbergs I haven't seen -- namely, Rabid and The Brood.

While you're at it - grab The Losers AKA Nam's Angels - it's not a sci-fi/thriller but it's a hell of a flick.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm looking for good ghost story movies, preferably quite gothic. This is for Halloween with my girlfriend. I'd prefer a ghost story over a horror film that wasn't a ghost film, but that could work too, especially if it's a period piece (because I love those).

The movie you're looking for is called Kill Baby, Kill by Mario Bava (1966).

Ghost story? Check.
Gothic? Check. Regarded as one of the best gothic horrors of all time.
Period? Check.

You could also go with Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960) which is my personal favourite in gothic horror, though it's about Vampires rather than Ghosts.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Starscream posted:

The movie you're looking for is called Kill Baby, Kill by Mario Bava (1966).

Ghost story? Check.
Gothic? Check. Regarded as one of the best gothic horrors of all time.
Period? Check.

You could also go with Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960) which is my personal favourite in gothic horror, though it's about Vampires rather than Ghosts.

Thank you!

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Please recommend movies that improve drastically when viewed with commentary. I saw Superman IV on Saturday and the person doing the voice-over opened with an apology that continued through the entire ordeal.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

eatenmyeyes posted:

Please recommend movies that improve drastically when viewed with commentary. I saw Superman IV on Saturday and the person doing the voice-over opened with an apology that continued through the entire ordeal.

C.H.U.D.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

eatenmyeyes posted:

Big Trouble in Little China

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

eatenmyeyes posted:

Miami Vice, and that's no lie.

quote:

Prime Cut. It's got great performances from Gene Hackman, Lee Marvin and a criminally young Sissy Spacek.

Oddio
Apr 3, 2009
Recommend me a movie that was well reviewed, but went under the mainstream audience's radar within the last decade. I recently watched The Limey and couldn't believe that it took me 10 years to realize it existed. I loved the style. And yes, I've seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

*edit* Tried to be a little more specific. Best of Youth looks great, thanks.

Oddio fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 9, 2009

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Oddio posted:

Recommend me a movie that was well reviewed, but went under my radar. I recently watched The Limey and couldn't believe that it took me 10 years to realize it existed. I loved the style. And yes, I've seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

We're not sure what your radar is. Are you looking for a film that was critically acclaimed but not widely released? There are plenty of films like this. Any genre specifics?

Try Best of Youth.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The recent spate of overly hysterical documentaries has put me off the genre somewhat but I recently watched Grizzly Man and The Cove and was blown away by their to-the-point and simplistic nature, can anyone recommend me some other really good documentaries for me to look into?

eatenmyeyes posted:

Saw II - IV

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Adrianics posted:

The recent spate of overly hysterical documentaries has put me off the genre somewhat but I recently watched Grizzly Man and The Cove and was blown away by their to-the-point and simplistic nature, can anyone recommend me some other really good documentaries for me to look into?

Try this thread.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the posted:

Try this thread.

And this one.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

eatenmyeyes posted:

Step Brothers, last years' Will Ferrel/John C. Reilly comedy, has an improvised musical as the commentary where they sing about what's happening during the movie. Maybe not the most informative commentary but it was pretty amusing.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Can anyone recommend some action/thriller type films in the vein of the "Bourne" films that are set in European cities? Preferably where the character has to travel to multiple countries while being pursued and is trying to avoid the authorities or an antagonist. "The Saint" came to mind when I was typing that but that's not that great of a movie.

EDIT: \/ Other than the Bond films. \/

Butthole Prince fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 12, 2009

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Butthole Prince posted:

Can anyone recommend some action/thriller type films in the vein of the "Bourne" films that are set in European cities? Preferably where the character has to travel to multiple countries while being pursued and is trying to avoid the authorities or an antagonist. "The Saint" came to mind when I was typing that but that's not that great of a movie.

James Bond

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Butthole Prince posted:

Although it isn't high cinema Hitman could fill that void. Ronin and Shining Through would work for intrigue and Taken for a pure action view. If you want a fun movie try Formula 51 (The Fifty First State if you're a Brit). If you want to include American cities The Paralax View or North By Northwest.

For movies that I might be interested in I'm looking for dark comedies, something in lieu of The Weather Man would be preferable.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so I've just finished watching 24 Hour Party People and Control, and now I'm I'm looking for more films that are about Punk Rock, or feature Punk heavily as a motif. Ideally I'm looking for British 70's Punk, though I'll settle for American in a pinch. No documentaries either please!

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
I want something that will gently caress my mind so hard that my brain will pour out of my ear, like F for Fake or anything by Charlie Kaufman.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I want something that will gently caress my mind so hard that my brain will pour out of my ear, like F for Fake or anything by Charlie Kaufman.

Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and the short films of David Lynch might fit your needs.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Jean Luc Godard's Weekend

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the posted:

Um, upon further research, I must say, HOLY gently caress.

howthedevil
Nov 3, 2002

by Fistgrrl
Be warned with Cannibal Holocaust - if animal cruelty upsets you then don't watch it. There are a load of very graphic animal killings in the film that are all real. The same goes for its "sister movie" Cannibal Ferox, only more so.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
I wouldn't recommend Cannibal Holocaust, it is not a good movie at all and the only reason that people watch it is because of the animal killings and gore.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

The Cameo posted:

Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and the short films of David Lynch might fit your needs.
Love The Holy Mountain and David Lynch :)

Also I've seen Cannibal Holocaust and it's really only worth watching for its reputation.

howthedevil
Nov 3, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Also I've seen Cannibal Holocaust and it's really only worth watching for its reputation.

I'd agree with that and say it's true of most of the genre. They're interesting in the sense that anyone interested in cinema likes to be a completist and see where certain influences come from.

The "found footage" idea of Holocaust obviously led to Blair Witch Project and many others. Even putting the animal cruelty aside it's sort of effective in what it tries to achieve, but I would never call it entertaining.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Butthole Prince posted:

The 39 Steps, if you haven't seen it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm looking for movies with strong sexual themes that create uncomfortable atmospheres. Think Happiness, Mysterious Skin, and Kids.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

caiman posted:

I'm looking for movies with strong sexual themes that create uncomfortable atmospheres. Think Happiness, Mysterious Skin, and Kids.
Hard Candy and The Quiet were two excellent thrillers, and Hallam Foe was an excellent drama. All of them deal in some sort of hosed-up -philia. Also I can't really recommend Destricted, but it's a series of avant-garde films by some notable directors (Gaspar Noe and Larry Clark come to mind), all of which are pretty uncomfortable.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Ok, so I've just finished watching 24 Hour Party People and Control, and now I'm I'm looking for more films that are about Punk Rock, or feature Punk heavily as a motif. Ideally I'm looking for British 70's Punk, though I'll settle for American in a pinch. No documentaries either please!
Sid & Nancy or Repo Man. Possibly anything else by Alex Cox (I haven't seen anything else by him).

I know you said no documentaries, but The Decline of Western Civilization I-III are all very good docs about the punk scene in different iterations through 20 or so years.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

caiman posted:

Funny Games, or at least parts of it. It really has more violence than sexual themes, but they're there.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

caiman posted:

Dead Ringers and The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

caiman posted:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

howthedevil posted:

I'd agree with that and say it's true of most of the genre. They're interesting in the sense that anyone interested in cinema likes to be a completist and see where certain influences come from.

The "found footage" idea of Holocaust obviously led to Blair Witch Project and many others. Even putting the animal cruelty aside it's sort of effective in what it tries to achieve, but I would never call it entertaining.

Yeah, it was really one of those "I have to watch it just to say I watched it" films. And, I really wish I hadn't, but goddamn that movie was powerful.

Sergio Leone said it best: "Dear Ruggero, what a movie! The second part is a masterpiece of cinematographic realism, but everything seems so real that I think you will get in trouble with all the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

caiman posted:

Binowru mentioned Funny Games. Can't go wrong with anything my Michael Haneke, all of his films probably satisfy what you're looking for. The one that is probably most up your alley would be The Piano Teacher, though. Very strong sexual themes, very uncomfortable vibes.

Other films that might be up your alley: The Dreamers, Last Tango in Paris, Crash (Cronenberg), Razor: Sword of Justice.

• Locked thread