Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bought a MIG welder, so now i can REALLY make a god awful mess of things on the truck! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I pulled my gauge cluster to fix my slightly bouncy tach and wonky OBC pixels (e34). Worked great, but in the process of trying to unlock the steering wheel lock, I accidentally keyed the car on with the cluster removed, which trips the SRS system. I sighed and started to call around for a reset and the first place I called (shameless plug) AnT Automotive in Phoenix AZ, offered to do it for free as long as I come in the morning when they're not busy tomorrow! Awesome!

EDIT: Went there. Great bunch of guys.

The second I walked in the door the owner Yuriy invited me right into his shop area to give me a tour, and then I brought my car into the bay and he hooked it up to his GT1 and reset everything while we chatted about cars and such. While under the hood he noticed the temporary bolt I had in my radiator bleed screw hole until the new one I ordered came in, so he walked away for a second and came back with a brand new one for me.

He refused to take any money, "All I did was plug into car. No big deal." Now that I'm home I noticed they even have an awesome website, where you can check their appointment book, check your service history, get TSBs and recalls and all sorts of stuff. This place is fuckin' amazing and if there's ever something I can't fix by myself on my car, it's going there.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 6, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

GODDAMN HEATER CORE

My vents suddenly started puking an evil mist again after my Dad, little brother and probably 10 other people tried to do it about 3 years ago while I was away at college. Parts suck, so I get to do it again.

They disassembled the entire dash and seemed to lose about 1 nut for every 5 that was holding the dash together (and probably every clip in the car). So this time I'm doing it the less insane way. I just dropped the column and pulled enough off the dash to bring it out a little ways.
After fighting with the weather I got the core out amidst driving back and forth from my parents house to school to work and having no time to work on it. I had to pull off both door panels so I could shut the doors because I have to keep leaving the car in a state of disassembly.

I replaced the blend door actuator too. It'll be nice to actually have varying degrees of air instead of REALLY HOT ALL THE TIME, and later in the process of broken heating equipment, REALLY HOT AIR ALL THE TIME THAT IS FULL OF ANTIFREEZE MIST.

e: Also panther body dashes are heavy as all hell.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Not my car, a Mates, but i dont think a CA20 powered ford corsair should ever sound like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyd6fxXISmo

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last weekend I jumped a friends car and checked the battery/alternator. Yesterday I ordered new ignition coil for the Volvo. $128 was the cheapest I could find. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I changed the tyres on my car, un-froze all 4 brakes (clutch drop :laugh: ) & sent it for the MOT, meaning I'll have a huge list of things to do next week :v:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Adjusted the stupid forge diverter valve on my car. Seemed to be too loose and leaking boost, it's much better now. Also ordered some parts, including a new drivers side mirror, reading light switches, power mirror switch, and memory seat switch. Oh, and an MTM stage 1 ECU. Anybody want to buy some 3 bar eproms for an Audi urS4/6? I decided I don't really want to mess around pressing them in and got a great deal on the ECU with my stock one as a partial trade.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Cleaned the AFE K&N style filter on the M3 - 6000 miles and it was covered. I can't believe how much dirt the intake system on this car takes in.

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON
Nov 30, 2006
Just got done putting my brand spankin new Injen RSI in. I never thought I'd hear that kind of idle purr from my car before.

Edit, Picture (yes I know about the radiator spray, I haven't cleaned it after fixing it):

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 7, 2009

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Pried out the old SID to repair it. Now the car doesn't make noise. No dongs, no simulated blinker click, nothing. Not sure if I want to put it back.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

82Daion posted:

I installed power mirrors from another '81 240 to replace the crappy, deglazing manual mirrors that came with my 245. Since the mirrors run off their own harness, incorporating it/them into the existing wiring was as easy as connecting a spade connector to the fuse panel and finding a ground. The worst part of the whole process was removing the front seats so that the wiring harness could run under the front-seat carpeting. All in all, a worthwhile modification, since visibility to the rear is increased, I can adjust both mirrors from the driver's seat, and the passenger mirror holds its position instead of slipping towards the ground at speed.

Are the mirrors the small terrible ones or the better, larger ones?

I've actually come to like the manual mirrors. I'm downgrading sometime this weekend to a newer pair of 88+ manual mirrors I picked up for $40 because I've found them loads more convenient than the power ones in both my current and past car. Less poo poo To Break™. Also, they're almost twice as big as the stock '84 ones.

Then the weekend after that, I'm gonna be ordering transmission mounts and heading to a friend's house who has a usable garage to install them. That will fix the horrible rattling, hopefully.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Are the mirrors the small terrible ones or the better, larger ones?

I've actually come to like the manual mirrors. I'm downgrading sometime this weekend to a newer pair of 88+ manual mirrors I picked up for $40 because I've found them loads more convenient than the power ones in both my current and past car. Less poo poo To Break™. Also, they're almost twice as big as the stock '84 ones.

Then the weekend after that, I'm gonna be ordering transmission mounts and heading to a friend's house who has a usable garage to install them. That will fix the horrible rattling, hopefully.

Which mirrors? The manual mirrors were definitely small and terrible; the power ones are somewhat larger and much clearer. They're definitely not like the larger later-era 240 mirrors, though.

For content, I also ordered a set of Bilstein Touring Class rear shocks for the wagon. The current shocks are worthless, and in a town full of brick roads, the ride is less than pleasant, so I'm hoping that the replacements will help somewhat.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My parents bought it!

2001 A6 Quattro 4.2

Click here for the full 1023x765 image.

It needs some work, but we'll do it all here and get it set up for when I get my permit in a few months.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Took off the exhaust yesterday. Who knew a Camry could sound so mean?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

rifles posted:

My parents bought it!

2001 A6 Quattro 4.2

Click here for the full 1023x765 image.

It needs some work, but we'll do it all here and get it set up for when I get my permit in a few months.

Are you located in Springfield, Ohio by chance?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

82Daion posted:

Are you located in Springfield, Ohio by chance?

Sure am.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

rifles posted:

Sure am.

Cool. I thought I recognized the neighborhood.

(I live in Springfield as well when I'm not going to school.)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Took off the exhaust yesterday. Who knew a Camry could sound so mean?

open headers are where its at! :D

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Went out to the junkyard and pulled the license lamps for my '88 Prelude. Literally pulled: the mounts on the wreck were so rusted I just yanked them free. The corresponding bits of metal on my car are probably also absent due to rust, so I put together a mount using some 1 1/2 inch #6 bolts.

You can see the holes where I ran the bolts, through the bumper above the plate.

I couldn't get my car started from the junkyard until I fiddled with the battery terminals. So, I grabbed a new positive terminal on my way home.

The old one was utterly corroded, but the battery post is in OK shape.

Another nice weekend like this one seems rather unlikely, so this is probably the last work I'll be doing on the car for a while. But the quest for cupholders continues.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Replaced all the remaining bushings in my rear suspension and the last two ballkjoints. Noticed that my rear shocks and strut tops are blown then wept.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 8, 2009

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Kotaru posted:

Replaced all the remaining bushings in my rear suspension and the last two ballkjoints. Noticed that my rear shocks and strut tops are blown then wept.

Well at least you've unstuck 75% of the fasteners already to fix them. ;-)

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Fixed a broken windshield wiper switch in a '91 MR2:

Disassembled the steering column, removed wiper switch assembly, soldered on extension wires, reassembled.

Also, glued down the dash where it was peeling along the defrost vents. Turned out pretty well. :)

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Fixed a clutch cable that had frayed all the way through (I didn't even realise that could happen, but I guess after 27 years of use anything is possible) by buying cable of roughly the same diameter from B&Q and then thread it through the old cable sheath using eyelets and tiny u-clamps ... seems to work so far.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Made it jealous. I'm in San Francisco for the week so I rented a vette :).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tried to replace an outer tie rod on MY GIRLFRIEND's 99 grand am. Couldn't get the nut off the last turn or so, so I cut it off. Now I can't get the tie rod unthreaded from the steering arm. :suicide: Going to try and acquire a torch to heat that bastard up.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
I had an odd dream last night that I was cleaning my truck's engine and removed a pair of odd covers, only to reveal a hidden twin-turbo setup. I was horribly disappointed when I woke up. :smith: Also, Mean Green is a fantastic engine cleaner.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Cleaned up the headlights using 3M's restoration kit.

Before:

After:

hass
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma
Waxed the wifes giant SUV for the upcoming winter. It's nice and polished. She didn't notice :(.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Had the tow truck drop it at the transmission shop just a couple of blocks over from my apartment. Went in this morning, told them "that's my Honda", and now it's getting a new clutch. *sigh*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hedge posted:

Cleaned up the headlights using 3M's restoration kit.

Before:

After:

That looks fantastic. Link to the kit you used? My car has the same problem, and I've never been able to get them cleaned good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got the outer tie rod off MY GIRLFRIEND's car. It took 2 pipe wrenches to get the bastard off...Then I realized I was undoing a nut that was just threaded on the rod, and the actual tie rod was a separate piece. :doh: It probably would have came off a lot easier had the torque being applied to the tie rod actually been applied to the tie rod rather than through friction between the two pieces. Note to self: Look at the new part/better inspect parts before taking off the old part. At least the drat car is finished and now just needs aligned.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

CornHolio posted:

That looks fantastic. Link to the kit you used? My car has the same problem, and I've never been able to get them cleaned good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B001AIZ5HY/ref=dp_rebates_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=automotive

It's a steal at $10.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Comradephate posted:

Not my ride, but it was fun, so it counts?

Tore down a rusted rear end L30 with 300k miles on it from a '95 C/K. Next weekend I get to measure cylinders and take stock of what needs replacing/machining.

Then I get to figure out how it goes back together. :v:

It's a learning experience.

double derp. '96 was the first year for vortec, and it's a 5.7L. So, it's an LO5, I think.

Cylinders looked surprisingly good though, didn't have to cut down the ridges at the top of the piston travel (proper term?) before dropping the pistons. Enjoying this project immensely. For an engine with rock hard chunks of oil caked on under the intake, the block is in surprisingly good shape. Going to investigate economical ways to get some modest performance gains from it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

God drat, you ain't kidding! I think I'll throw that in with some Christmas stuff this month. A gift for my car, if you will.

I actually bought a second set of lights from someone ($40) because the first ones were so bad... I wonder if I can clean those and sell them.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Finally gave my Cherokee some much-needed TLC:

- SensaTrac shocks and stabalizer
- tinted the front windwos to match the factory rears/hatch
- installed a beefy trans cooler
- LED's in the dash, trans/t-case selectors and kick panels
- Viper alarm w/keyless entry + remote start (god I love this)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the ignition coil on our Volvo. Dead simple.

Old and busted (and misfire-happy) on the left, new and suave on the right.

Oh hello there! New one works great. No more CEL!

What sucks is, every online retailer had two: Bosch and OEM Volvo. The Bosch one was usually $105, while the Volvo one was $128-$150. I called and nobody had the Bosch, so I ordered the cheapest Volvo one I could find (RMeuropean). I get it, its in a nice Volvo box, but the part is Bosch because they're the supplier. So I paid $23 for a Volvo box. :argh:

I also picked up a key for myself for said Volvo, and washed and waxed my E36.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Changed the ATF again. Down to ~20% mystery fluid in there now...

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Oh what didn't I do.

On the upshot, I can now drop ship my h1 in little boxes with the exception of the body tub :v:

I keep telling myself it'll all go back together like a big lego technic set.

Except AM Generals Factory documentation is rear end, I plugged in all new chassis bolts from Mc Master Carr, 100 lbs worth of MIL spec CAD plated hardware with hard washers and rated locknuts, and all the quantities were botched up in the manual.

Why yes! #17, a 1/2" 1" bolt is totally usable for holding on a cross member bracket through a box frame onto a control arm pocket on the other side.

:ughh:

(It's actually a 3/4" 4 1/2 " long bolt)

Its time to type up a project thread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Programmed a new keyfob that I got on eBay. Now I can lock/unlock my car from more than 2 feet away.

Car computer systems are so goofy. Remove fuse, turn the key to accessory mode, wait for dings, turn key to off then back to accessory, open and shut door, wait for ding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

FogHelmut posted:

Car computer systems are so goofy. Remove fuse, turn the key to accessory mode, wait for dings, turn key to off then back to accessory, open and shut door, wait for ding.

It seems to be a completely random system for programming fobs on vehicles and model years [ie. one year will use a motorola ECU, the other year, something else]. On my 98 Hummer I have to short a spade connector [usually against the ground on the nearby cigar lighter] while the key is set to accessory. Then wait for my lights to blink 4 times then I have 30 seconds to jam the buttons on the remotes I want to sync up. Then wait 30 seconds or re short the spade connector again to turn off program mode.

Since the OEM fobs were so very lovely, and I was replacing them almost twice a year, I wired up an arcade plunger button with a terminal connector on one end and a alligator clip on another to make the process go a bit faster.

A few years later they actually spared 50 cents and wired up a switch to the receiver so you can just go PUSH BUTTAN and program.

Pulling codes from WABCO [Land rovers, some hummers, misc vans and trucks] ABS modules is a pain in the rear end. Short a few pins, and read patterns of flashing lights.

I guess it's too much to have everything talk to the OBD ports, but I guess it's a compatibility nightmare to try to get all the vendors to agree to a standard.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2009