Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

TL posted:

Except he really didn't, though. He won it at Unforgiven, from Triple H. He defended it at Surivor Series, against Triple H. He lost it at Armageddon, to Triple H. He has it for three months and did nothing but wrestle Triple H with it. It was extremely frustrating.

To be fair, triple h won it in a triple threat with kane, by pinning kane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wazzu posted:

To be fair, triple h won it in a triple threat with kane, by pinning kane.

no he won it pinning goldberg.

after kane chokeslammed him.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dusty udder smoker posted:

no he won it pinning goldberg.

after kane chokeslammed him.

Either way, it was a terrible match. Won by the most boring, terrible, lazy wrestler in the WWE currently.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
*Benoit comes down to the ring to "Girls in Cars"*

*References to Benoit are replaced by a large man yelling "THE CHAMPION" over the existing track

*Benoit's face and trunks are blurred, and a scroll across the bottom says "The WWE Universe does not advocate killing your family and yourself"

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What were the WWF's ratings like around '97-98, around the time of the first D-X incarnation? I was watching youtubes of HBK's documentary and JR speculated that D-X v.2006 was probably as big as they were when they first appeared - which I suspect might be rubbish, but I guess that depends on how many people were watching when they were first hot - especially as it's around the time when the Monday Night Wars were finally turning around a bit for the WWF.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jetfire posted:

What were the WWF's ratings like around '97-98, around the time of the first D-X incarnation? I was watching youtubes of HBK's documentary and JR speculated that D-X v.2006 was probably as big as they were when they first appeared - which I suspect might be rubbish, but I guess that depends on how many people were watching when they were first hot - especially as it's around the time when the Monday Night Wars were finally turning around a bit for the WWF.

IIRC they were pulling 7-8's weekly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The A-Team Van posted:

IIRC they were pulling 7-8's weekly.

Nah they only got above 8 once, and very rarely got above a 7.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

DX has probably made WWE far more money this time than they did 10 years ago.

Dewwy
Jun 9, 2005

by Ozma
On October 13th when they officially became DX Raw got a 2.3 to Nitro's 3.8. The night after the IYH: DX PPV Raw scored a 3.0 to Nitro's 4.3. The night after Wrestlemania 14 when Shawn Michaels left the WWE Raw got a 3.8 to Nitro's 4.2 and the next week the WWE beat WCW for the first time since the NWO. So there are some pretty good benchmarks for what they did ratings wise.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

DX has probably made WWE far more money this time than they did 10 years ago.
With more viewers then than now, how do you figure? Because there's a lot more merch now/easier access?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I imagine there are more kids watching now, and with that come more parents willing to buy them lots and lots of D-X branded nonsense. Now whether that weighs more heavily than the greater number of tickets sold (?), and advertising money from higher ratings - solely from D-X's drawing power - is harder to quantify, I think.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Atticus Finch posted:

With more viewers then than now, how do you figure? Because there's a lot more merch now/easier access?

Higher proffit margin on DX glowsticks/DVDs/books than anything they were selling back then.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
At the peak in 99-00, Raw would get high 4s and 5s, but consider that it counted less people than now so the drop in viewership is greater than what appears on the surface.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Captain Charisma posted:

At the peak in 99-00, Raw would get high 4s and 5s, but consider that it counted less people than now so the drop in viewership is greater than what appears on the surface.

If that is the case, won't the drop be lesser? If the had the same viewers as they had in 99/00, the rating would be smaller now due to more people being tracked as cable viewers, no?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Higher proffit margin on DX glowsticks/DVDs/books than anything they were selling back then.

DX is one of the few household names WWE has left and they have a pretty decent-sized mainstream following. Their merch sells fairly well from non-WWE sellers.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CM Junk posted:

DX is one of the few household names WWE has left and they have a pretty decent-sized mainstream following. Their merch sells fairly well from non-WWE sellers.

Yes and?

?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I was adding to your point. Not everyone here wants to argue with you, Bulb. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raeg posted:

If that is the case, won't the drop be lesser? If the had the same viewers as they had in 99/00, the rating would be smaller now due to more people being tracked as cable viewers, no?

Yes, the drop is uch less than it appears. But overall there is still a drop with less kids, and less 18-35s watching now than then.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Yes, the drop is uch less than it appears. But overall there is still a drop with less kids, and less 18-35s watching now than then.

Yeah, I forgot to elaborate. The big drop was in 18-35 males, which is essentially the golden goose for advertisers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Matt Cruea posted:

In fact, to ask a semi-related question, has anyone else really fallen from main event to jobber status? Jeff Hardy WWE Champion to TNA Champion doesn't count, but has someone gone from WWE Main Eventer to WCW Jobber like Orndorff did? Hacksaw might count for this, too.

King Kong Bundy main-evented with Hogan at WM 2 and beat up a midget in the undercard at WM 3. That's...quite a tumble from grace.

Iron Sheik also did jobs for WCW for a while - he even got an extra $100k from them because they were too stupid to release him before his contract rolled over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Matt Cruea posted:

Agreed. Orndorff was probably my favorite character of the 80s, and his turn from face to heel to face again was awesome. He was a pretty good wrestler, too. It was sad to see him go from main eventing Wrestlemania to jobbing on WCW Saturday Night. I was really happy to see him get into the Hall of Fame awhile back and liked when 24/7 did a month focusing on him.

In fact, to ask a semi-related question, has anyone else really fallen from main event to jobber status? Jeff Hardy WWE Champion to TNA Champion doesn't count, but has someone gone from WWE Main Eventer to WCW Jobber like Orndorff did? Hacksaw might count for this, too.

I think Lex Luger fell from grace quite a ways in WWF. He wrestled for the title at WM 10 and by next Wrestlemania he was in a crap tag-team and on his way out.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

I think Lex Luger fell from grace quite a ways in WWF. He wrestled for the title at WM 10 and by next Wrestlemania he was in a crap tag-team and on his way out.

I was a mark for the Allied Powers, god save me.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

oldpainless posted:

He was still on the card at Wrestlemania though, so it's not a real fall from grace.

Edit: I don't know if this counts for much, but I remember around 98-99ish, Mankind would be around the top of the card and in title matches, while Cactus Jack would appear on the same episode in unannounced, non-issue midcard matches :psyduck:

Another Edit: Big Boss Man. Main eventing with Hogan in the early 90s, to wrestling mostly on Jakked and Heat by the end of his 2002-2003ish run.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 16, 2009

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Since WM19 happened during my 2 year hiatus from wrestling, what was the build for Austin/Rock like? Was it hinted that it would probably be Austin's last match? Or was it just about how Austin always beat the Rock at WM and the Rock wanted revenge?

Just wondering because I watched some clip on Youtube with behind the scene stuff leading up to Austin's last match and realized I had no idea what the story was since I wasn't watching for a while.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Carlton Banks posted:

Since WM19 happened during my 2 year hiatus from wrestling, what was the build for Austin/Rock like? Was it hinted that it would probably be Austin's last match? Or was it just about how Austin always beat the Rock at WM and the Rock wanted revenge?

Just wondering because I watched some clip on Youtube with behind the scene stuff leading up to Austin's last match and realized I had no idea what the story was since I wasn't watching for a while.

It was kinda weird to me. Rock was in his Hollywood heel mode and spent some time playing his guitar and messing with the Hurricane. He seemed like more of a comedy heel than anything else. He gave Rock concerts and insulted towns while playing guitar. Austin broke his Willie Nelson guitar at one concert. Austin had come back from walking out in 2002 and a retirement angle was never really played up on TV, but looking back years later i can pick up on small things that I missed watching the first time. At the time, I certainly had no idea it was his last. But I guess it meant alot to him to come back for one more and put over Rocky.

It was based mostly on Rock's revenge after he finally got serious about it. His best line was at WM19 when he said something like "All people ever remember is the final act" referring to movies and his trilogy with Austin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After Austin lost, on Raw Bischoff (who had brought him back as part of a "Eric Bischoff doesn't want to get his rear end fired" storyline) mocked him because he had discovered doctors warnings to Austin that his back was hosed and he SHOULDN'T have had the match at Mania and should never have a match again. Bischoff took great delight in then revealing that as GM it was his responsibility to "look out" for Austin and prevent him from having matches.... and if he couldn't have matches, he might as well just leave WWE.

Shortly after that, Linda McMahon rehired Austin on as Co-GM of Raw and we had these wonderful opening segments where the screen would flash Bischoff's face to boos from the crowd, then flash Austin's to cheers from the crowd before the opening theme.

A lot of people didn't like Austin's run as Co-GM/Sheriff of Raw, but I really enjoyed it, especially when it was ruled he couldn't fight wrestlers unless he was provoked (cue Austin going out and BEGGING people to punch him in the face) or how Mr. DTA was forced into a position where he HAD to trust a team to fight for him at Survivor Series (I think).

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

A lot of people didn't like Austin's run as Co-GM/Sheriff of Raw, but I really enjoyed it, especially when it was ruled he couldn't fight wrestlers unless he was provoked (cue Austin going out and BEGGING people to punch him in the face) or how Mr. DTA was forced into a position where he HAD to trust a team to fight for him at Survivor Series (I think).

And then they lost and Austin was forced to leave the WWE.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

And he was never seen again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Yep, and that was great. He put his trust in them, they tried their hardest but they failed.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah, but there was a great story told where Austin had to trust a team led by Shawn Michaels of all people to beat Team Bischoff and Shawn had to try and fight off a 3 on 1 handicap.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

As a matter of fact, here's the match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnfkb_team-bischoff-vs-team-austin_sport

EDIT: It was the Dudleys, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, and Michaels vs. Christian, Jericho, Mark Henry, Scott Steiner, and Randy Orton.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 16, 2009

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The Cameo posted:

As a matter of fact, here's the match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnfkb_team-bischoff-vs-team-austin_sport

EDIT: It was the Dudleys, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, and Michaels vs. Christian, Jericho, Mark Henry, Scott Steiner, and Randy Orton.

And Batista. At least from my memory Batista was managing Orton.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

KungFu Grip posted:

And Batista. At least from my memory Batista was managing Orton.

Batista only showed up during the WHC match and backstage.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

For some reason I remember Batista actually helping Orton win by Batista Bombing HBK.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

KungFu Grip posted:

For some reason I remember Batista actually helping Orton win by Batista Bombing HBK.

gently caress, you are probably right. I just watched that PPV again last week too.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He comes in at the end of the match, powerbombs HBK so Orton can crawl over him for the win.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Okay dumb question here but bear with me.

Do wrestlers "practice?" Not in the traditional sense, like training, but go over moves and such? Do they have rings backstage to practice bumps/moves/spots etc? Or do the house shows serve this function since they are not televised?

Just curious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ToiletLaw posted:

Okay dumb question here but bear with me.

Do wrestlers "practice?" Not in the traditional sense, like training, but go over moves and such? Do they have rings backstage to practice bumps/moves/spots etc? Or do the house shows serve this function since they are not televised?

Just curious.

I remember seeing segments on some of the old home video releases where they'd be doing an on-camera interview in an empty arena and a wrestler would be in the ring running the ropes and doing elbow drops/knee drops etc by himself in the background. I'm guessing it varies between individual wrestlers, but Triple H mentioned in an interview that he was disappointed more young guys didn't take advantage of going to the ring before a show to run through some stuff with the backstage veterans who act as agents now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Here's a thought. Do most people consider Wrestlemania X7 to be the pinnacle, as well as the death of the Attitude Era? It seemed like a perfect storm of a show, and with WCW being purchased a week before, the Monday Night Wars were effectively ended. All of the matches on the undercard were pure Attitude Era poo poo, and then the main event with Austin's heel turn seemingly nailing the coffin shut in that one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Here's a thought. Do most people consider Wrestlemania X7 to be the pinnacle, as well as the death of the Attitude Era? It seemed like a perfect storm of a show, and with WCW being purchased a week before, the Monday Night Wars were effectively ended. All of the matches on the undercard were pure Attitude Era poo poo, and then the main event with Austin's heel turn seemingly nailing the coffin shut in that one night.

I think WM X7 is generally seen as the end of the Attitude Era. Austin was seen as the foremost representative of the Attitude Era and his heel turn ended that, even though he turned back a few months later. Plus, it was also the last time the Rock was really a full-time wrestler and he was a major leader during Attiude while Austin was out injured. That, and your abovve mentioned reasons seem to end that part of the WWE. Also, I remember JD Dunn over on 411 reviewing it and the tagline was "THe end of Ausitn, the end of attitude." So at least to some it was the end.