Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Shot these a few months ago, quite happy with them (and the band loved them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crimson Falls

In-Quest

Not really my kind of stuff, but was shooting a friend's band and figured I'd hand around.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just finished running a concert set through DxO Optic Pro and I have to say that I think it's a great tool for concert photographers. The noise reduction is top notch, at least on par with Noise Ninja and automatic handling of highlights and lighting takes a lot of the manual grunt work out of post-processing. Unfortunately you'll still want to hang on to Lightroom for picking selects and finalizing them after processing with metadata, renaming and all that.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I have been pretty drat busy lately. Thrown in some NFL, college football and an airshow, and I am loving beat. These all link to galleries. Yes, I broke the 3 image rule, but these are all small.

Justin Moore

Randy Houser

Jamey Johnson

Zac Brown Band & Friends

Planetfest- Papa Roach, Chevelle, Jet, Framing Hanley, Skindred, Halestorm and Adelitas Way. There were a bunch of other local bands, but that's who I got. And thank you Papa Roach for not letting us do our job.

edit: spelling

Eeek fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 15, 2009

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Grizzly Bear

Faust

(more on My Flickr)

Recently done a festival (FON Festival in Cumbria), and got asked to shoot Grizzly Bear at the Anson Rooms in Bristol. Grizzly Bear was my first one where I've had a specific area to be in, and the 3 song, no flash limit! Was fun though.

Edit: tables

Super! Especially like that Faust. Did you do that with a short lens?

neospec
Nov 10, 2004
The Joe

one hundred flowers @ west fest in houston last night.

i need advice..in the future..how do i get rid of the glare on the left?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

neospec posted:

Are you using a filter on your lens? And do you have a lens hood for it?

neospec
Nov 10, 2004
The Joe
im not using a filter, but i do have a hood but did not use it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

neospec posted:

one hundred flowers @ west fest in houston last night.

Hey fellow Houstonian, or Texan at least. I missed the Block Party due to business in NYC. Not sure about that glare.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

spritely posted:

Super! Especially like that Faust. Did you do that with a short lens?

I believe it was the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for both. Either that or the 50 1.8

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Alrighty, I'm just waiting on my promoter confirmation for Lightning Bolt this Sunday...however, having only seen them live once before and not worrying about photos that time, I'm running myself around in circles because they never play on the stage; they set up on the floor and have the crowd around them. How in the hell am I going to shoot this?

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BDZ7KyNRE&feature=PlayList&p=928ACF8F50FB6A9E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rent a 10-22 or something?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

HPL posted:

I just finished running a concert set through DxO Optic Pro and I have to say that I think it's a great tool for concert photographers. The noise reduction is top notch, at least on par with Noise Ninja and automatic handling of highlights and lighting takes a lot of the manual grunt work out of post-processing. Unfortunately you'll still want to hang on to Lightroom for picking selects and finalizing them after processing with metadata, renaming and all that.

Does it still come in component form? ie buy only what you need?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyberbob posted:

Does it still come in component form? ie buy only what you need?

It seems like the standard version is good for regular DSLRs like the 40D or D300 or whatever but the Elite version is for the pro bodies like the Mark 1s or D3s of the world. Right now the standard version is on sale for ~$100, so that's pretty good in my books.

HPL fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 16, 2009

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Rent a 10-22 or something?

I've got a 17-55 F/2.8, I'm not worried about lenses; I was worried more about the actual physical shooting. How the hell am I going to get any good photos in a crowd that close to the musicians? Taking my gear into the middle of a mosh pit never makes me feel at ease :(

I was thinking of ditching my 7D and going with my Panasonic LX-3, a nice compact camera with RAW capabilites/ f2.0 lens, if I can snag a front row spot, or trying to find a chair, stand on that, and hire a 70-200 F4 or something.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I meant that if you have an extreme wideangle, you can get right into the thick of it and get some awesome closeups. :)
Just take the bare minimum, your gear should be fine.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

How the hell am I going to get any good photos in a crowd that close to the musicians? Taking my gear into the middle of a mosh pit never makes me feel at ease :(
30D + 18-55.

Not necessarily rugged, but the lens is so poo poo/cheap it doesn't really matter if it gets beer thrown over it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is a godsend for tiny venues and cramped quarters.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

I, Butthole posted:

I've got a 17-55 F/2.8, I'm not worried about lenses; I was worried more about the actual physical shooting. How the hell am I going to get any good photos in a crowd that close to the musicians? Taking my gear into the middle of a mosh pit never makes me feel at ease :(

My approach to that pretty quickly became to use gear that I was afraid would hurt people rather than the other way around.

edit: or gear you're not worried about hurting, consider a disposable camera with a flash for close up. Nobody is going to complain that your Lightning Bolt photos are too grainy...

dunno fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 16, 2009

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I've worked these kind of shows many a time. When I do: I stand behind the drummer since he don't move as much and I'll generally be a little less exposed. Or I wedge myself between the band and a speaker cabinet. I shoot with the shortest lens I have. And I always remember the best/safest place in a circle pit is IN THE MIDDLE. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Drop Dead

Insect Warfare

Crowd

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
My favorite shot from shooting the AP Fall Ball tour. The Academy Is:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Lightning Bolt didn't go too badly at all, the venue didn't give a flying gently caress about flash so I used that. Ended up with the best picture I've taken, ever

Click here for the full 1500x1302 image.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Wanted to see what you guys think of this. This is from a Mute Math show (second best show of my entire life) last night. Do you think there is potential in a collage/pano of this type when all you have is a point and shoot and no photo pass? So often its just spray and pray, but if I can use that to my advantage to create one cool piece from each show, I'd be pretty happy. Just thinking of how to make something different.

Was this at the synagogue in DC?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Shot The Magic Numbers last night for the university I work for (in the student union venue)
Full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622866972692/

Very happy indeed. I'm shooting Dragonforce on the 28th :rock:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Anti_Social posted:

Was this at the synagogue in DC?

no, i wish i had gone to that show as well. My shot was from the night before at the Norva, in Norfolk, VA.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thehustler posted:

Very happy indeed. I'm shooting Dragonforce on the 28th :rock:

Nice, enjoy, Drangonforce is a blast to shoot.

Here's a few photos from my recent shows.

Mastodon (their lighting was pretty terrible)

Dethklok

Lamb of God

Metallica

Nonpoint

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
How was the Metallica show, were you on the stage behind them or was it in the middle of stadium?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

How was the Metallica show, were you on the stage behind them or was it in the middle of stadium?

That show was awesome to shoot. It's a 360 degree stage, so you can shoot from every angle you want. There were 10 mics all around the stage so the band could run to everywhere and still sing. Tons of lights, moving coffin light racks, it was a good time. The only bad thing was they had these can lights right next to the mic stands which overpowered the other lights and were blowing out their faces really bad.

Full set can be found here

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Rockcity your stuff is insanely good. I love that Dethklok one.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thehustler posted:

Rockcity your stuff is insanely good. I love that Dethklok one.

Thanks, much appreciated. I've been doing this for about 6 years now, so I've had some practice. For a while there I was shooting a couple shows a week. I've really slowed down since I moved to Orlando though, I need to get back into shooting more shows. I think my next one isn't for about 3 weeks. That needs to get fixed.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just shot a band in a small club where the lighting was static dim red and purple lights :suicide:

Made images coming from my 7D look like they came from a loving cell phone:

Had a friend of mine hold the flash while I shot the band, it didn't work out like I wanted, but it looked better than the other poo poo I got:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

Just shot a band in a small club where the lighting was static dim red and purple lights :suicide:

I'm in a hurry here so I'll state this real quick:

a) Stop shooting at f/4 in low light unless it's genuinely warranted.

b) Learn to control strong red lighting in post-processing by adjusting the red channel.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll respond later.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
To be honest, it's the first gig I've shot with my 7D and I was experimenting to see how high I could push the ISO with lenses that aren't quite so fast.

My "standard" lenses for shooting bands are my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I thought I might be able to use my ultra wide Sigma by pushing the ISO up to 4000-6400, but obviously the light was a bit too poo poo for that.

I'll play around with the red channel tonight when I get home and post the results, but from my experiences in the past it just kind makes things a bit purple. Obviously I need to experiment more with it!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

To be honest, it's the first gig I've shot with my 7D and I was experimenting to see how high I could push the ISO with lenses that aren't quite so fast.

My "standard" lenses for shooting bands are my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I thought I might be able to use my ultra wide Sigma by pushing the ISO up to 4000-6400, but obviously the light was a bit too poo poo for that.

I'll play around with the red channel tonight when I get home and post the results, but from my experiences in the past it just kind makes things a bit purple. Obviously I need to experiment more with it!

Using my 17-55 f/2.8 at 5000ISO results in awesome shots with hardly any grain; I did use a 70-200 f/4L to shoot The Primitive Calculators, this is what I got -

edit: I too am wondering whats the best way to reduce the red lighting effect that bands love to bits

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

psylent posted:

...Stuff...

I never shoot above f2.8 actually, but it really depends where you are.
I CANNOT shoot in some places (like the Norfolk Basement) at f2.8 (but the 40D only goes to ISO1600, so that's why). But yeah, lighting is so different wherever you go. But usually, the smaller the place the worse the lighting will be.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

What are you using for post-processing?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
edit: blah blah fine

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 26, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're shooting in a venue with LED stage lights, you're going to have to learn to deal with colour balance issues. LED lights and camera sensors don't seem to play well together, resulting in wildly oversaturated colours and highlights. Doesn't seem to be the problem in your photos, but just giving a heads-up to adjust exposure accordingly or you'll get these awful, blown-out, blocky highlights when you shouldn't be.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Arinel posted:

I never shoot above f2.8 actually, but it really depends where you are.
I CANNOT shoot in some places (like the Norfolk Basement) at f2.8 (but the 40D only goes to ISO1600, so that's why). But yeah, lighting is so different wherever you go. But usually, the smaller the place the worse the lighting will be.

Are you saying if effectively goes to 1600? Because it does go to 3200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

No. 9 posted:

Try to cut the reds, it looks like he had a green light to his back which now makes things a little too green in places.

Just an example:

Balancing the whites makes it look bad, so I'm torn on that.

This looks horrible compared to his edit. Look at the line on his head, why would you want that? And if he had a red light shining on him, why are you trying to make it look like it wasn't a red light? I think that's the big problem people have when they edit a red light photo. They either over-edit it to poo poo, or don't edit it at all and it has no contrast and the skin had no texture. Either just do some minor tweaking or go black and white. Please do not do this.