Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Exelsior posted:

Sapphires used to be the traditional engagement stone before diamonds! Sapphires are very hard wearing, and will last the rest of her life and then some. Personally, I LOVE the diamond sapphire combination, my own engagement ring was three large, dark sapphires with diamond dust on the band. Good luck!

Really? I had no idea, thanks! That's great to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aidrocsid
Jan 15, 2006

We're out of mustard.

maso posted:

Sounds like a keeper.

You'd be surprised. :)

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores

Aidrocsid posted:

You'd be surprised. :)

I think we all would.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Does anyone have any experiences with http://eweddingbands.com ? My fiancee finally arrived from the UK and we went to the local jewelers to shop for wedding rings and started comparison shopping online, and found that the local jewelers (surprise, surprise) charges a hell of a lot more for what appear to be roughly equivalent rings. We're probably looking for plain domed comfort fit palladium bands, and $250 for the 5mm looks great to me (she'd be buying the 3mm most likely).

If not http://eweddingbands.com then what would you recommend?

Ambidextranata
Jul 22, 2007
"Luck is like the Tour de France. You wait, and it flashes past you. You have to catch it while you can."

crazyfish posted:

Does anyone have any experiences with http://eweddingbands.com ? My fiancee finally arrived from the UK and we went to the local jewelers to shop for wedding rings and started comparison shopping online, and found that the local jewelers (surprise, surprise) charges a hell of a lot more for what appear to be roughly equivalent rings. We're probably looking for plain domed comfort fit palladium bands, and $250 for the 5mm looks great to me (she'd be buying the 3mm most likely).

My husband and I got our wedding bands there 3 1/2 years ago and they're still great. The service was very prompt, the rings are pretty inexpensive, and the rings themselves are quality and have held up very well.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.
A few weeks back I posted the design for my wedding invitations. One sided postcards basically saying "This is who we are and this is when we're getting married. Come join us." Last week, I saw an ad on google's sponsered links for 100 free postcards (aside from shipping costs). Reviews of the place looked good, and I decided what the heck, let's order away. I got them today, they look nice, just as they were designed. However, the back is plain white, while the front is a light yellow/brown. There's no texture while it's designed to look like it has some. I feel like I need to do something to spiff these up. Any suggestions on crafty things I could do to make these cards stand out a little more?

For a refresher, this is almost the front of the card, with a few text changes and a resizing to widen it to 4 by 6.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Gonna say thanks for this site! I just started scanning it and found a ring that matches my engagement ring perfectly for a good price :)

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Sneaky Monkey posted:

A few weeks back I posted the design for my wedding invitations. One sided postcards basically saying "This is who we are and this is when we're getting married. Come join us." Last week, I saw an ad on google's sponsered links for 100 free postcards (aside from shipping costs). Reviews of the place looked good, and I decided what the heck, let's order away. I got them today, they look nice, just as they were designed. However, the back is plain white, while the front is a light yellow/brown. There's no texture while it's designed to look like it has some. I feel like I need to do something to spiff these up. Any suggestions on crafty things I could do to make these cards stand out a little more?

For a refresher, this is almost the front of the card, with a few text changes and a resizing to widen it to 4 by 6.

You might try glueing the card to another, slightly larger piece of cardstock. Since they're postcards this would mean that the address side would be a different color, so you'd want something that's not terribly dark (unless you're doing labels). It would add a nice frame to the edge, add some texture, and give it a bit more contrast. Just make sure that the cardstock you buy is the same color on both sides, some metallic ones come with white on the back.

Also, you could play with adding some color to the picnic basket. Maybe use watercolor pens to color just the blanket red and the ribbon around the basket a different color.

Just a couple of ideas. I really like them, though, and that's a great deal you got. Would you mind posting where you got them from? I'm sending out save the dates around the first of the year and this might be perfect.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Nione posted:

You might try glueing the card to another, slightly larger piece of cardstock. Since they're postcards this would mean that the address side would be a different color, so you'd want something that's not terribly dark (unless you're doing labels). It would add a nice frame to the edge, add some texture, and give it a bit more contrast. Just make sure that the cardstock you buy is the same color on both sides, some metallic ones come with white on the back.

Also, you could play with adding some color to the picnic basket. Maybe use watercolor pens to color just the blanket red and the ribbon around the basket a different color.

Just a couple of ideas. I really like them, though, and that's a great deal you got. Would you mind posting where you got them from? I'm sending out save the dates around the first of the year and this might be perfect.

I got the postcards here. It says it's this week only, but it's been running at least 2 now. Dunno when/if they'll end the deal.

It's about $10 shipping, and there isn't the postcard format on the back, it's just blank, so that makes the larger cardstock idea great! I'm not planning on using them to mail, though, they'll be mailed like a normal card (in envelope) and I'm gonna try and design a separate RSVP actual postcard. There's a Michaels down the road from me. I'll take a look at what they have this weekend.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Did anyone not wear a wedding dress in lily-white? I have always had sallow toned skin so white makes me look kind of sickly. :( I must have glanced in the wrong store because it seemed like the only other options they had came in baby pink, which I dislike even more than white.

I found this in a google image search. I think it's beautiful, unique, and non-traditional. Too wacky tacky?

You know I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but the site where I bought my dress, lilywedding.com, offers to make your dress in any color they carry, look: http://www.lilywedding.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=55

I've been trying to recommend them to everyone since they're legit, did quality work, and pretty much every dress on there is under $600. Very worth a look.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I have a question about wedding programs. I'm getting married in late February, and while my fiance's parents will be there, mine will not. In templates that I've seen, the wedding program always mentions the "wedding party" and I'm not really sure how to go about listing his parents while having 'bride's parents' being completely blank.

Basically, I'm estranged from my entire family - haven't seen nor heard from any of them for several years. My male best friend is going to walk me down the isle, and though we're both only children, we consider each other brother and sister.

Are there any recommendations on how to address something like that? Should I not bother with a Wedding Party section of the program or would it appear rude?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Well, for one, wedding party typically refers to your bridesmaids and MOH, and his groomsmen and best man, as well as flower girl(s)/ring bearer(s). But as for how to show the parents, that's going to really be up to you guys. What we did was we put a "thank you" page at the end of our programs and that's the only place that mentions family outside of who was in the wedding (my sister was my MOH, and my two nieces and two nephews were the flower girls and ring bearers). It says:

"We would like to thank all the friends and family members here today, as well as those who could not attend. You've all helped us become who we are and nurtured us through the years. Your love and support has shaped us and enabled us to find happiness in each other. Again, thank you, from the bottom of our hearts."

Our goal was not to single anyone out-- it would be totally weird, and in my eyes, pretty mean, to be like, "Hey, special thanks to my sister and best friend because you guys did the lion's share of the work helping me plan this shindig."

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

Our goal was not to single anyone out-- it would be totally weird, and in my eyes, pretty mean, to be like, "Hey, special thanks to my sister and best friend because you guys did the lion's share of the work helping me plan this shindig."

That's exactly how I was feeling about it. Good to know it's not just me, thanks :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Heh, yeah, it's totally not just you. I wanted my wedding to be a happy time for all the people involved, and really didn't care if I had to sacrifice things that I wanted for the greater peace (complete opposite of a bridezilla). It ended up being a joyous event that people still compliment me on now, over a year later. :)

Non-Player
Oct 27, 2007
I have a similar sort of question. Something like this might have been asked at some point in the thread, but i don't remember.

We aren't engaged yet, but we are talking about it very seriously. I... don't like my family. At all. They are not very good people. the only person I talk to is my paternal Grandmother who raised me, and she's very backward and very controlling. She will cause almighty hell if i don't have the wedding she wants me to have, including the big poofy dress and lots of tradition (neither of which we are into) and inviting the entire family. you can NOT compromise with her. I have been trying for over 20 years.

I really do not want any of them there. I can deal with my grandmother, but even that is pushing it.

What does one do in this situation? I believe a wedding should be for the couple, as much as I hear people say its not. Is it worth it to have a certain degree of misery around a very special day in my life just to keep peace in a family i don't even like? If no, how do I handle something like this?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Have a really small civil ceremony? v:shobon:v

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Don't invite them. Any of them. If you can predict misery this clearly as an all-or-nothing affair, there is absolutely no benefit to having any of them there.

Do you feel obligated to have someone sitting on the pews on your side? If so, get friends together, get friends of the family, get random acquaintances on Facebook. Don't worry about your family.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Fire In The Disco posted:

Have a really small civil ceremony? v:shobon:v

Yeah, do this. Go down to the courthouse, get a couple of friends to sign as witnesses, and then throw a party with your friends.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Nicol Bolas posted:

Don't invite them. Any of them. If you can predict misery this clearly as an all-or-nothing affair, there is absolutely no benefit to having any of them there.

Do you feel obligated to have someone sitting on the pews on your side? If so, get friends together, get friends of the family, get random acquaintances on Facebook. Don't worry about your family.

This, this, a thousand times this. As mentioned earlier none of my family will be there. Not a single blood relative. The whole thing will have about 20 guests, friends and my fiance's family (cause they're awesome), and it's being held in a beautiful bed and breakfast.

I thought of doing just a civil ceremony, but the more my friends wanted to come, the more I realized it'll be great to have them sharing in this happy day. They want to come because they're happy for me, not because it's tradition. There's no reason to have someone there if they aren't happy about the occasion, or willing to make you regret it.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Wow, I wish I'd found that lilywedding site before I bought my dress. Nice selection.

I have a bridal shower coming up, and I'm a little stuck. There are four or five people I'd like to invite, but I know they'll be out of town/they live far away. Do I send them invitations? I feel like if I do, it might seem like I'm angling for gifts, but if I don't, they might be hurt not to be invited, since all the other aunts/cousins/bridesmaids are.

I guess I could call them and say, "Hey, I'm having a shower, and I know you can't come, but I'd totally invite you if you could," but now that I write that out it sounds impossibly awkward and ill-advised. What should I do? Does anybody actually care if they get a shower invitation or not?

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot
Any other recommended locations to buy a solitary diamond besides Brilliant Earth? I already have the ring, just need to secure a center stone and Blue Nile has much better deals than the local places and I just want to know if there is another option I am overlooking.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

STAT1C_X posted:

Any other recommended locations to buy a solitary diamond besides Brilliant Earth? I already have the ring, just need to secure a center stone and Blue Nile has much better deals than the local places and I just want to know if there is another option I am overlooking.

There are lots of loose stone vendors. Winfield's and Good Old Gold were two I remember from my pricescope.com days as being excellent. Whiteflash used to be good but then they got too big and their quality and customer service went to poo poo as their prices rose. Pop onto pricescope and take a look at the loose stone vendors, you'll get online prices but with better policies than Bluenile.

Non-Player
Oct 27, 2007

Zantie posted:

This, this, a thousand times this. As mentioned earlier none of my family will be there. Not a single blood relative. The whole thing will have about 20 guests, friends and my fiance's family (cause they're awesome), and it's being held in a beautiful bed and breakfast.

I thought of doing just a civil ceremony, but the more my friends wanted to come, the more I realized it'll be great to have them sharing in this happy day. They want to come because they're happy for me, not because it's tradition. There's no reason to have someone there if they aren't happy about the occasion, or willing to make you regret it.

I would love to do something like this. She's probably still going to throw a hissy, but I think our best bet is to have a small ceremony (his parents, his brothers, my brother,and maybe my best friend), then have a big party afterward that we try to not tell her about. If she finds out... well, I'll deal with that if and when it happens.

Thanks guys, I think I was just looking for validation on something I already knew I wanted to do.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If they do find out that you're getting married, don't tell them the time or place and inform everyone (husband's family) that they are NOT to inform anyone about the ceremony for that reason. It might kind of feel lame to have super secret wedding, but that's probably easier and will make your wedding more fun than having your family crash your wedding.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

RedFish posted:

There are lots of loose stone vendors. Winfield's and Good Old Gold were two I remember from my pricescope.com days as being excellent. Whiteflash used to be good but then they got too big and their quality and customer service went to poo poo as their prices rose. Pop onto pricescope and take a look at the loose stone vendors, you'll get online prices but with better policies than Bluenile.

I'll just note that I ended up picking my loose diamond from james allen, and it went very well. They also seemed cheaper than good old gold on average. The difference seemed to be that Good Old Gold was near the absolute top-quality, while james allen was a (very slight) step below. I've yet to hear any complaints though, just make sure you pick out a good one.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot
Thanks for the diamond advice, folks! James Allen is definetely a potential as its prices are slightly better than Blue Nile and you expressed the first negative opinion I have yet heard of BN.

Those other three places (Winfield's, Good Old Gold, and Whiteflash) are all much more expensive in comparison.

Edit: Not to say money is the only thing I'm looking at here, but when the difference in quality shouldn't really be much considering that all of the diamonds I looked at at each site bore the same specs, I'm going to use price as the deciding factor.

STAT1C_X fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 18, 2009

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

STAT1C_X posted:

Thanks for the diamond advice, folks! James Allen is definetely a potential as its prices are slightly better than Blue Nile and you expressed the first negative opinion I have yet heard of BN.

Those other three places (Winfield's, Good Old Gold, and Whiteflash) are all much more expensive in comparison.

Edit: Not to say money is the only thing I'm looking at here, but when the difference in quality shouldn't really be much considering that all of the diamonds I looked at at each site bore the same specs, I'm going to use price as the deciding factor.

If you're just going to buy a round brilliant, you really can let price be the determining factor as long as you have all the numbers and a trustworthy cert (aka gia or ags) available to you. If you find something of good clarity with Excellent cut, polish, and symmetry, it's next to impossible to gently caress up. Just keep an eye out for things like clouds setting the clarity grade or a lot of fluorescence, those can haze up a diamond no matter how good the cut is.

If you're getting something more complicated like a cushion, that's when you can't so much play the price game and you have to take each diamond individually.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry for the probably repeated question, but if anyone has some online sources for cheap wedding dresses, I'd love to know about them. I've browsed one site cheesily called "Shopforlover" and House of Brides as well as Lilywedding. Does anyone have any others they have used or have heard good/bad things about? Marriage is a ways away as we haven't even set a date yet, but I'd like to get started with some looking now and then begin to worry about the rest of the inevitable money crunch that weddings are after Christmas is over.

I did see one (sorry, I forgot the poster's name, was it FireintheDisco?)flower arrangment I thought was AWESOME on tables, the flower vases also have peacock feathers in them which I thought was wickedly lovely. I really want that sort of arrangement on my tables as well.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

OnceWed is great for finding used dresses if that's a route you're willing to take. JCrew often has some very simple, elegant dresses on the cheap as well. And don't underestimate white or ivory prom gowns!

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

errol _flynn posted:

Sorry for the probably repeated question, but if anyone has some online sources for cheap wedding dresses, I'd love to know about them. I've browsed one site cheesily called "Shopforlover" and House of Brides as well as Lilywedding. Does anyone have any others they have used or have heard good/bad things about? Marriage is a ways away as we haven't even set a date yet, but I'd like to get started with some looking now and then begin to worry about the rest of the inevitable money crunch that weddings are after Christmas is over.

I did see one (sorry, I forgot the poster's name, was it FireintheDisco?)flower arrangment I thought was AWESOME on tables, the flower vases also have peacock feathers in them which I thought was wickedly lovely. I really want that sort of arrangement on my tables as well.

My Bouquet had peacock feathers in them, I don't think I saw FireInTheDisco's flowers so you might mean me? Table arrangement pictures are in here (linked to the bouquet)

If it's me then I can get you a list of the flowers used.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, my flowers didn't have feathers in them. I did post them a few pages back, they were humongous deep red Asiatic lilies and humongous creamy calla lilies, but no feathers.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

My diamond came in today and it's beautiful and I'm going to take DSLR pictures tonight and now I have to wait a month to propose and every single day will be torturous.

In a good way!

Silver String
Jun 15, 2005

errol _flynn posted:

Marriage is a ways away as we haven't even set a date yet, but I'd like to get started with some looking now and then begin to worry about the rest of the inevitable money crunch that weddings are after Christmas is over.

I've always heard that it's a good idea to choose your venue before you go dress shopping to make sure your dress is appropriate. You don't want to buy some big ol dress with corset and underskirts and then decide you're having a simple wedding on the beach, for instance.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Silver String posted:

I've always heard that it's a good idea to choose your venue before you go dress shopping to make sure your dress is appropriate. You don't want to buy some big ol dress with corset and underskirts and then decide you're having a simple wedding on the beach, for instance.

Hiya! I am planning on getting married right here, at my mum and dad's house on the water. (It's the big gray low building with white trim on the right side of the photo. It's an old crab processing plant they converted into a house. Hey presto, my dad's lobster boat is gone, he must have been hauling when this photo was taken.) Be right on the wharf, if the weather is ok that day.

So... I guess sometime this summer is my hoped-for time. Early fall is ok, too.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/06/16/travel/havens.600.jpg

If the weather is poo poo, there's the Union Church, which is just up the street. (For any curious folks, I'm from Vinalhaven, Me. It's a safe bet a seashell cake topper is a pretty easy pick.)

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

maso posted:

My Bouquet had peacock feathers in them, I don't think I saw FireInTheDisco's flowers so you might mean me? Table arrangement pictures are in here (linked to the bouquet)

If it's me then I can get you a list of the flowers used.

List please!!! I love peacock feathers in any arrangement, it's a wickedly creative way to play up color and texture in (to me) an unexpected way. I really, really like this whole megathread--there's such an upbeat feel to everything!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

http://www.skychrono.net/secretDirectory/

My ring from Amazon.com is beautiful. :)

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Friendly Geek posted:

We're going to use "I Saw Her Standing There" as our first dance. We're both Beatles fans, and went to the McCartney concert in July at the New Shea (CitiField or whatever the hell they're calling it). In fact, we're probably going to have a bunch of Beatles music going on during our wedding day. There's a lot of really sweet and romantic music from them, so we'll have a bunch to play with.

I keep pondering what to do about the walking down the aisle stuff. I've kind of been pondering having the organist do some sort of classical, and weave in some more contemporary music in for his mom, my mom, each of the girls, and me. Who knows. We'll see what we actually come up with.

Apparently at my uncle's wedding, they had some classical something with the Beer Barrel Polka underneath. (We're Polish.) I was a few years from existence still, so I didn't get to hear it, but they still talk about it.

We are big Beatles fans, too. We're kicking the idea around of having Here Comes the Sun and Two of Us for aisle tunes and for the reception where they have the traditional dancing stuff, we're likely having the kids join us for a family dance off to Los Colorados' polka cover of Hot N Cold. The band's Ukrainian, my Lovvie is Polish and it all fits us fine. Plus, the kids always compete to bust their best moves every Friday night (Family Dance Night) in the kitchen while we cook. Can't imagine leaving a fun tradition like that out of a wedding.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Just keep an eye out for things like clouds setting the clarity grade or a lot of fluorescence, those can haze up a diamond no matter how good the cut is.

I'll disagree with Rootbeer Baron on this one. GIA certificates only hit a few of the pieces that make a diamond good. Case in point - The GIA does not define the clarity of material or the source of a diamond's color. Both of those are big factors in assessing the quality of a stone. There are many more criteria that help determine the quality and price of a diamond than just the cert.

The GIA has also released a statement clarifying the effect of fluorescence on diamonds. They are all on a case by case basis since the Fluor simply isn't visible in some diamonds.

And the fluorescence can often make a diamond better. I have a very unusual diamond that will fluoresce yellow when exposed to ultraviolet light. How cool is it to have a diamond that turns into a discoball under a blacklight?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Skychrono, that is a great looking ring. Go into photoshop and reset the white balance. The photo isn't doing it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Skychrono, your ring is very pretty!