Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I think you could safely tone down the high pass filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One I missed from my road trip.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I guess this is a landscape?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
You guessed right, it's a landscape! :bravo:

I think the processing is a little heavy-handed. Looks like the kind of image you would see today in terms of the "look" based on how you processed it. It's not timeless, which I think would make it look better. Essentially, it looks like you used too many ACR effects like clarify, recovery, vignettes, or whatever, and the "essence" of the shot has been compromised. Maybe I'm just cynical. I love the picture though, it's pretty, I just think you could do better with less of the effect.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm happy with it either. Coming back to it I've done this, which is much closer to what I'm after.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With just a wee bit less vignette you'd really be on to something.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Split-toning look to this, less vignetting, similar structure look.

This is going to be printed and hung in a particular place, and the selenium look was going to be too cold.

Pretty happy with this.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 17, 2009

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Interrupting Moss posted:

Split-toning look to this, less vignetting, similar structure look.

This is going to be printed and hung in a particular place, and the selenium look was going to be too cold.

Pretty happy with this.

The vignetting looks the same.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Love it.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 20, 2009

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Posted this in PAD a while back, but I really liked this setting. It is a supposedly haunted hotel so I tried a new technique to process it for a 'haunted' look while trying to not make it too dark.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
Wow, your pictures are simply stunning!

Mine aren't too good in comparison :P

All of these were taken in Iceland, I plan on getting a better camera soon :)

KFJ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 22, 2009

Wubble
Dec 29, 2008
Three more recent ones.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Wubble posted:

Very nice sky in this, I like the composition as well.

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER

torgeaux posted:

What I love about this picture is the texture of the stone stairs, like my hand will get scraped up by rubbing the picture or something it's great

Mine:

Deserts can be landscapes too!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dass Niemand posted:

What I love about this picture is the texture of the stone stairs, like my hand will get scraped up by rubbing the picture or something it's great

Mine:

Deserts can be landscapes too!

I need more or less of the asphalt surface. It has the potential to give a "leading lines" look into the picture, and give some nice contrast, but right now there's just enough in the shot to be distracting. Beautiful sky. Can you correct some of the distortion in photoshop? I actually kind of like the bending up at the edges, but I think you could correct it pretty easily, too.

edit: After reading your comment on my shot, I looked at it again, and think it could use a little fill light to bring out the textures even more. You're right, it's the stronger part of the shot.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Not sure if the foreground is too dark, or if that helps create an interesting contrast.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really like this, but start over in post-processing. Too dark, and has a bad HDR feel to it.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Dread Head posted:

Nice smooth water! It's especially pleasing with the little warm spots in a sea of cool tones. The only issue is that your GND filter is pretty noticeable with the dark trees in the upper-right. But I still want to go walking through there.. We don't get those kinds of beach scenes here in Oklahoma.

The closest I can get is a dry creek bed:

(I developed it a couple days ago in front of about 50 people.)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

quazi posted:

(I developed it a couple days ago in front of about 50 people.)

You forgot to add the lens flare and motivational poster border with lolcat quote at the bottom.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

quazi posted:

Nice smooth water! It's especially pleasing with the little warm spots in a sea of cool tones. The only issue is that your GND filter is pretty noticeable with the dark trees in the upper-right. But I still want to go walking through there.. We don't get those kinds of beach scenes here in Oklahoma.

Yeah, I try to minimize the visibility of GND filters but the trees had very little colour to begin with so I just gave up and went with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Yeah, I try to minimize the visibility of GND filters but the trees had very little colour to begin with so I just gave up and went with it.
Did you GND the shot or layered multiple exposures?

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1

Demon_Corsair posted:

This is incredible. I love the sense of depth and the layering that you've got going on here.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SKULE123 posted:

Not sure if the foreground is too dark, or if that helps create an interesting contrast.

The small, lone figure near the bottom really elevates this from an interesting landscape photo into so much more. The scale of the place hits home hard once there's a comparison. (Or it's just a reflection of somebody, and the place isn't quite as grand as I thought.) Iceland sounds (and looks) really interesting, but how was the weather there? According to Wikipedia Reykjavik only gets about 1300 hours of sunlight a year, and I was ready to book tickets there until I found that out.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
We went early July for our honeymoon and did a self-driven tour of the ring road around the coast, which we'd recommend as the best time and way to see the country. The warmest day was probably around 20-25 degrees celsius, and the coldest day was around 8 degrees celsius. That doesn't count it being a bit chillier when we were hanging around the glacier or the area with the icebergs you see in that shot. A bit of information about that Jökulsárlón spot for anyone who cares (especially James Bond/Batman movie buffs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6kuls%C3%A1rl%C3%B3n) - it really is huge and amazing.

As far as daylight goes, because of the time of year, I don't think we saw a whole lot of night. Usually, we'd start driving around 0800 and pull into our farmhouse (http://www.farmholidays.is/ -> we stayed in some interesting and affordable spots) around midnight, and it was still reasonably light out. That made it hard to shoot right at sunset and sunrise, but it's not like the sun is directly overhead for that long stretch of day - there's still a LOT of interesting light.

I strongly encourage you to book those tickets for the summer, check out the rest of that Flickr set for a sense of how varied the landscape really is. Sorry for the travel forum interlude. :)

Photo note: the hardest part of that shot was waiting for the random dude to wander into position without giving him the sense I was watching him like a hawk, or otherwise creeping him out. Thanks for the compliments BTW, I still feel like a pretty rank amateur compared to the amazing work around here.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 28, 2009

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SKULE123 posted:

As far as daylight goes, because of the time of year, I don't think we saw a whole lot of night. Usually, we'd start driving around 0800 and pull into our farmhouse (http://www.farmholidays.is/ -> we stayed in some interesting and affordable spots) around midnight, and it was still reasonably light out. That made it hard to shoot right at sunset and sunrise, but it's not like the sun is directly overhead for that long stretch of day - there's still a LOT of interesting light.

I strongly encourage you to book those tickets for the summer, check out the rest of that Flickr set for a sense of how varied the landscape really is. Sorry for the travel forum interlude. :)

Ah, I meant that according to Wikipedia it sounds like there are tons of overcast days, which aren't really that interesting, photography-wise. I have a month to spend, and I'd rather cram as many sunny days into that as possible. If it's overcast a lot, I can just book a quick two week trip instead. Off-topic or no, thanks for the tips! :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you GND the shot or layered multiple exposures?

Multi layers.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was there in early October, a bit different at that time of year!

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

DanTheFryingPan posted:

According to Wikipedia Reykjavik only gets about 1300 hours of sunlight a year, and I was ready to book tickets there until I found that out.

Unless I am missing something, that is 108 days of straight sunlight. And I am going by 24 hours here. Assuming a normal year, San Diego is 2400 hours which you would expect, but London is only 1500.

I would go to Reykjavik in the middle of winter to shoot. But then, I would also go to Hammerfest Norway.

There's always something to shoot no matter when or where you are. Overcast days are AWESOME for portraits of locals!!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

noss posted:

Unless I am missing something, that is 108 days of straight sunlight. And I am going by 24 hours here. Assuming a normal year, San Diego is 2400 hours which you would expect, but London is only 1500.

I would go to Reykjavik in the middle of winter to shoot. But then, I would also go to Hammerfest Norway.

There's always something to shoot no matter when or where you are. Overcast days are AWESOME for portraits of locals!!

That's still only an average of 9 days of sunlight per month, which would mean three weeks of overcast days. The thing is, at those latitudes the light is interesting throughout the day, provided that it's not badly overcast, and especially during the long twilight hours. Yes, I'm over-analyzing this whole thing, and there's a bunch of other stuff to do there besides photography.

Winter in Iceland means very little available light because it's so close to the Arctic circle, so you'll have to make every shot count. Of course, that's also lots of possibilities for long exposures, and some awesome aurora borealis.

And I can't really argue that last point. drat you for being reasonable. :argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Just got back from Utah. View large on black.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 2, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Resubmitted for your approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

KFJ posted:

I like both of these.

From this past weekend: