Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I'm just impressed if the suspension can actually handle that kind of load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
You'd need a new shock every oil change.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Right. If you want to ride a ninja, you have to be a ninja.

also, nature's airbag is the best protection:

Well, all I meant was that it takes practice to overcome your natural reflexes. Not that you have to be a ninja.

PS: :psypop:

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Today, a friend and I went for a ride down some gravel roads. He rides a 2008 KLR650 and I have a 2009 F800GS, so we're both on large dual-sports and we take it pretty easy. We covered just under 100km (60 miles) total.

I went wide on a slightly off-camber turn (the second last turn of the trip) that had lots of loose gravel on it. I quite simply entered the corner too fast for my ability. I went a foot wide, hit a large bump on the shoulder, went airborne for a few feet, landed, rode for another 10 feet, hit some soft stuff and the front washed out. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 40km/h (25 mph) into the corner and 20km/h (13 mph) by the time I fell.

Anyhow, the result is a slight crack in some plastic and a crack in one mirror. Also, I need to readjust my handlebars because the mounts shifted. Nothing is bent.

I'm fine but the ego is bruised pretty hard. I'm actually quite pissed off at myself at the time being and not because the damage to the bike. I think that once I saw I was going wide I should have leaned a bit more and gave it more gas, but I chickened out and went wide as a result. Also, I target fixated on the shoulder instead of looking into the turn. That really pisses me off because it's something I've been really working on.

After I picked the bike up (it's good to know I can easily pick it up myself from completely horizontal), I turned around and did the corner again, this time with the proper speed. I figured it would be good idea to show myself that I can do it safely and that my mistake was easily avoidable.

I really hate making such rookie mistakes. I have so much to learn.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

I had my first crash today.

Me and a co-worker + his dad and a few friends went on a ride today, it was basically geared towards a newbie ride since 2 of us were on our first new bikes (with less than 1000 miles experience and odometer readings combined) and it was our first ride. so we took things pretty slow, my co-worker and another buddy of his were riding behind me the whole time to keep an eye on me but unfortunately on one turn I didn't tighten up enough and hit gravel.

Cue worst feeling in the world. (knowing your going to gently caress up your brand new bike with 500 miles on it).

I went down on my left side and busted my mirror, and both signaling stalks. upper fairing is busted, peices of left fairing are taken out. Shift lever is bent and rear cowl is busted on the left side. dirt and dead grass now inhabit my chain, and my left portion of the handle bar is bent up (hit the ground and bent down to crack my fairing). Current condition is unridable but mechanically sound, started it up for a couple seconds to make sure it isn't going to puke oil or anything and it sounded just as good as it did this morning.

I was wearing all leather gear with armor and yet I still managed to get a little roadrash on my knee (my jeans under the leather rubbing on impact...?) my back side a little bit where my jacket rode a little and my wrist has a nice bruise developing.

And my forehead got a little banged up but I have no idea how as it does not hurt.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And now for me.

God damnit, and to think I just gave it it's second oil change this morning.

After the crash my co-workers buddy caught up to the group and turned them around(after checking up on me), then his dad went and got his truck and we got it home that way.

Edit:

Pics of my gear coming later, I'm going to chow down and rest for a little bit.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 15, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Man, that sucks rear end, I'm sorry.

To those reading this thread, though, this is a good example of why you shouldn't ever buy a brand new bike as your first bike. Crashing sucks, but messing up a shiny new bike makes it so much worse.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Ouch man. Glad you're alright, and at least the damage to the bike is just cosmetic. You should be able to get new clipons and replace all the other damage for a few hundred bucks. Check out the various kawasaki forums for new fairings. Kawiforms and Ninja250.org Classifieds would be good places to start. You can usually find people who are making trackbikes and want to sell their stock fairings. Or you could run that poo poo streetfighter :colbert:

Were you wearing leather pants? If so, you shouldn't have jeans on underneath. It would also be a good idea to zip your pants to your jacket in the future. Both of them should have come with 2 zipper halves, if they're different brands you can take one of the zipper halves to a tailor and have them sew it onto the jacket/pants so they zip together. If your pants and jacket are the same brand they should zip together without any tailoring.

edit: I'm a retard and can't spell kawiforums correctly

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 15, 2009

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Now that's it's been a few hours since the crash I'm not really torn about crashing my new bike, it's purely cosmetic damage that can be repaired.

And I did have a matching brand jacket and leather pants but they didn't zip together for some reason.

And no I am not a fan of the street fighter look, that said I will be purchasing replacement plastics when I can. :colbert:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Hey Cabledude if you want to wear something under leather pants you might think of sweats or long johns instead of jeans, which as you found can act as sand paper.

Also what kind of helmet were you wearing that you got those kinds of scratches? Was the helmet properly sized or maybe too loose?

Glad you are okay and already planning on repairing the bike.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Thanks for the advice on wearing stuff under leathers, I've been wearing jeans under my leathers so when I arrive to work I can just take them off and leave the leathers under my desk so I don't look awkward walking around in them.

As for the helmet it is a Scorpion EXO 400. It was sized correctly and is in fact nice and snug, Still not sure where I got those marks on my forehead from as they do not hurt and I did not feel or notice them until I got home about 45 minutes after and my brother pointed it out to me.
I already plan on buying a new 400 since they are rather cheap and did a good job of saving my noggin, I still need to take pictures of my gear, should be up tomorrow night.

Yeah as soon as I saw it was all cosmetic damage and nothing major (lever and handlebar, $100 total for both I was told) I planned on repairing it. It was my first bike and I do not plan on getting rid of it because of something minor like cosmetic damage. :D

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 15, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sorry about your crash. :(

You may want to replace your helmet. They're only good for one decent impact, and if your forehead looks like that, it (the helmet) might have taken one and you didn't even realize it. Better safe than sorry.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
An update from another thread:

Methusulah posted:

poo poo like that happens man. How did the bike fair?
It washed out to the left, landed me on my right hip, which hurt like hell, but nothing broken - it took 4 days to raise a visible bruise. The bike got a little minor scuffing to the RH Cylinder Head Guard, and something that I didn't think was possible (but is probably a result of the Telelever).

The front wheel was turned to the right when it contacted the curb, and it pulled/popped the LH fork tube out of the top of the triple clamp. At first, I thought that I was going to have to call a tow truck to get the bike less than a mile back home. Wrestling with it some, we managed to get it back into the top clamp "enough" (a little more than 1/2 way) - which was enough for me to ride/duckwalk it back home via various parking lots and apartment complex driveways (that route, in reverse, going through the dark-gray apartments, not along 120th. Also cutting through the grass to the parking lot by China2000, for those what care.)

Haven't been back out on it since - we've had crummy weather, or have been packing for a move next week. A permanent fix looks super simple, since the end of the upper triple clamp is attached with 2x 6 or 8mm hex bolts. Unbolt/loosen the endcap, slide the tube back up where it belongs, tighten.

No other damage that I've been able to find.

My only wish is that I could point to a reasonably clear cut cause, instead of a lot of little things that *might* have contributed. I'm a little sketchy about getting back on, now that I have this impression that you might be flung off it without warning for the tiniest of stupid poo poo. I mean, now I look at something like this and wonder what the magic is that keeps the drat thing upright, when I went down in *way*, *way* less water...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you absolutely sure that the bike doesn't have front end damage, either from the previous accident or from this one?

I wadded my poo poo at 100+ mph, and the forks only moved about 5mm in the tubes. Something's wrong there, either the front end pinch bolts weren't tight enough or something is seriously out of wack. You need to get that measured or looked at.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Are you absolutely sure that the bike doesn't have front end damage, either from the previous accident or from this one?

I wadded my poo poo at 100+ mph, and the forks only moved about 5mm in the tubes. Something's wrong there, either the front end pinch bolts weren't tight enough or something is seriously out of wack. You need to get that measured or looked at.
The way it came out makes a lot of sense, given the geometry. I can see where a regular 'double triple' would likely have suffered different damage, or bent something serious due to the way it's assembled.

If you picture the bike laying all the way down on its side, with the wheel turned right, then hit the tire against the curb (forcing the steering slightly past 'lock' on the right side - I discovered when I inspected it that the tab on the frame that functions as the steering lock is slightly bent - which wasn't easily done), the RH fork tube at the handlebars, the RH fork bolt at the bottom, and the center Telelever pivot point act as fulcrums for the LH fork, which was pulled out of the LH clamp at the top (because the LH bolt at the wheel wasn't going to give). Given the way the triple at the top is designed, I can see that not being all THAT hard to do. We managed to get it most of the way back in with just our bare hands, and I haven't messed with it since. It did right straight both before and after, however. Unlike this one - which sounds like it had a similar type of impact..

That said, I'm winding up a pretty hefty financial obligation today (the last payment on The Wrangler That Shouldn't Have Been), and I'll either have the funds available to start replacing stuff, or the time and space to part it out and stash the proceeds against the possibility of picking up PlasticSun's F800GS, which seems more like 'my kinda bike'.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

If you grow a slightly larger eye-mustache your forehead will be immune to impact next time you crash. Too bad about the bike though ;(

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Blaster of Justice posted:

If you grow a slightly larger eye-mustache your forehead will be immune to impact next time you crash. Too bad about the bike though ;(

If your bike grows a fork-stache...

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Sorry about your crash. :(

You may want to replace your helmet. They're only good for one decent impact, and if your forehead looks like that, it (the helmet) might have taken one and you didn't even realize it. Better safe than sorry.

Already plan on replacing it, Scorpion has a policy and all I need to do is send my old helmet to them and they'll ship me a new one for free.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cabledude posted:

Already plan on replacing it, Scorpion has a policy and all I need to do is send my old helmet to them and they'll ship me a new one for free.

What the gently caress policy is this? Do you need to register with them or something? Not that I plan on wrecking any time soon, but that would be good info to have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabledude posted:

Yes, explain this, since my EXO-700 is toast as a result of my accident.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

My buddy was explaining it to me after the crash, I'll see if I can get more details from him.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, explain this, since my EXO-700 is toast as a result of my accident.

Mine too. I demand more details on this policy.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

OrangeFurious posted:

Mine too. I demand more details on this policy.

I can't find nothing of the sort, perhaps he donked his head hard enough and it is actually being covered through his motorcycle insurance :v:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
Totally possible. Which reminds me to bug my insurance folks for a new lid.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Remember guys, I said my co-worker mentioned this to me right after the incident, I'll go ask him right now if he could please elaborate.

Edit:

Clarification received, he was talking about the quick change mechanisms on the side that will be replaced, when he mentioned shipping it back to them it was to have the helmet's integrity checked.

Sorry for any confusions.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 18, 2009

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Real glad you and your bike are healthy Cabledude, always a jarring experience. Going to vegas tomorrow on my intruder and reading this thread to keep the old brain sharp. Thanks goons for having the courage to share your experiences despite the ego check.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabledude posted:

Remember guys, I said my co-worker mentioned this to me right after the incident, I'll go ask him right now if he could please elaborate.

Edit:

Clarification received, he was talking about the quick change mechanisms on the side that will be replaced, when he mentioned shipping it back to them it was to have the helmet's integrity checked.

Sorry for any confusions.
Okay that makes sense. Would have been nice to have gotten a free replacement and cash from insurance.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Had a stupid rear end accident today right in front of my house. Coming down my street going about 35mph and letting my mind wander just for a second (since I was almost home) locked up my rear wheel and ended up putting the bike down. Ugh. I'm pretty pissed at myself...This is my first crash. I'm not super banged up or anything...Gear did it's job. But now I have to go buy a new helmet and I've got a bruise from where my knee hit the ground. It gave me enough of a jolt for lesson learned: Don't be a dumbass and stop thinking the rules don't apply about paying attention when you're almost home.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Was hoping I could go longer without adding to this thread but I guess not. Decided to take advantage of the nice weather today and took the SV on some twisty roads.

Came around a sharp left hand turn at around 40mph leaned over and was fine then I target fixated on the leaves on the side of the road. Guess where I went...slick leaves at 40mph leaned way over = low side. Damage to the bike was a scrapped frame slider, broken shift peg and a couple scratches on the mirror and handlebar. I was in full 1pc leathers with good boots, gloves and of course a helmet. Scrapped the hell out of my visor and the helmet a bit, roughed up the shoulder of my leathers and the inside of the knee. The suit shifted a bit and tore off a dime sized layer of skin on my knee...will have a bit of a bruise. Overall I'm fine and so is the bike, I just feel like a dumb rear end. Can post pics of damage if anyone is real interested but there really wasn't much.

Left Shoulder

Left Knee

Helmet/Visor are toast

Only damage I received - A bit of swelling and a little sore

Shift Lever

Very minor body work damage

Ugly mirror more scratched

Wonderful frame slider...saved the tank/body/handlebars/etc and possibly me from more damage

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 29, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

NitroSpazzz posted:

Can post pics of damage if anyone is real interested but there really wasn't much.

Yes plz. Glad that you made it out of it okay, this thread just keeps reinforcing how important gear is.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Here is what happens when a newbie tries to ride her KLR to Sibley Mansion

The hill was steep as hell and composed of large rocks loosely piled atop one another. I tried the -quick like a bandaid- approach and nearly made it. Would have been cool as hell, but I bounced off a particularly large rock and went down. Sorry no pics of the actual spill. I was geared to the gills, Fox Dakota pants, A* shortie MX boots, knee pad/shin guards, A* Stella Bionic 2 body armor, Alpinestars gloves, Zox Genisis helmet.

No idea what caused the three tiny scratches on my arm. That bruise is on my right thigh. Got off pretty easy considering.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Becktastic posted:

Here is what happens when a newbie tries to ride her KLR to

Glad you are okay Becktastic. Gear is goooood. ;o)

I've done that a couple times in the mountains around here especially when coming to a section that goes from nice hard pack to a silty soft sand where the road bends.

Damage doesn't look bad, it just sucks the new klrs are so platic covered now.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Becktastic posted:

D
No idea what caused the three tiny scratches on my arm. That bruise is on my right thigh. Got off pretty easy considering.

Does your jacket have a zipper at your wrist? I had the same scratches when I crashed my bicycle wearing a leather jacket with zippers on the wrist.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Tindjin posted:

Glad you are okay Becktastic. Gear is goooood. ;o)

I've done that a couple times in the mountains around here especially when coming to a section that goes from nice hard pack to a silty soft sand where the road bends.

Damage doesn't look bad, it just sucks the new klrs are so platic covered now.
Yeah, new shrouds are $150, I found a used one on ebay that will run me about $70 with shipping, but it's all scuffed and has a crack. :/ I can't decide which is the better deal, I feel pretty shafted either way. My dad is going to take a look at the bike and possibly fabricate metal cowls for me, not sure if there's anything that would be protective enough while staying lightweight. If not, maybe he can make me some crashbars, all the aftermarket ones are being dissed for bending in too easily and breaking the plastics anyway.

niethan posted:

Does your jacket have a zipper at your wrist? I had the same scratches when I crashed my bicycle wearing a leather jacket with zippers on the wrist.

Nope, just elastic on that one.

It's the best dirt armored women's jacket I could find:

I love the hell out of it, those little scratches are the only scrape on my upper body.

Now I'm looking into those padded under shorts. You can never have enough armor!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Age old story. Douchecock makes a left in front of you at an intersection. Wet roads/cold tires wound up with me clipping the rear end end of his car at around ten mph and going over the handlebars. Glad my head broke my fall after 5 feet, as the Arai made it like landing on air.

Broke my shifter, mirror and got matching road rash on the left side of the bike. Need to replace the helmet too

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 10, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Becktastic posted:

Yeah, new shrouds are $150, I found a used one on ebay that will run me about $70 with shipping, but it's all scuffed and has a crack. :/ I can't decide which is the better deal, I feel pretty shafted either way. My dad is going to take a look at the bike and possibly fabricate metal cowls for me, not sure if there's anything that would be protective enough while staying lightweight. If not, maybe he can make me some crashbars, all the aftermarket ones are being dissed for bending in too easily and breaking the plastics anyway.

What you should do is trade it in for an 07 or earlier that doesn't have all of those ridiculous and unnecessary plastics :)

I don't know WTF Kawasaki was thinking when designing the new KLR. "Hey guys, you know what this bike that is meant to be used off-road and will probably be dumped relatively often needs? FAIRINGS!"

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

redscare posted:

What you should do is trade it in for an 07 or earlier that doesn't have all of those ridiculous and unnecessary plastics :)

I don't know WTF Kawasaki was thinking when designing the new KLR. "Hey guys, you know what this bike that is meant to be used off-road and will probably be dumped relatively often needs? FAIRINGS!"
But it's -pretty-! :swoon:

I found a cheap replacement on ebay but they shipped me the wrong side! Let me keep it though, so now I have an extra...which is extremely good because I fall a lot and yeah, they break easily.

My dad and uncle are welders though and they are going to try and make some shroud/crash bars to replace the plastic with lightweight but strong metal. We shall see!

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Becktastic posted:

But it's -pretty-! :swoon:

I found a cheap replacement on ebay but they shipped me the wrong side! Let me keep it though, so now I have an extra...which is extremely good because I fall a lot and yeah, they break easily.

My dad and uncle are welders though and they are going to try and make some shroud/crash bars to replace the plastic with lightweight but strong metal. We shall see!

The logic of this was also lost on me... I guess they are marketing to the crowd that wants to do more dualsport touring?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

redscare posted:

Becktastic posted:

Yeah, new shrouds are $150

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Crash numero two. Cold tires can go gently caress themselves. Bike had been running for about 45 seconds, took a right turn out of a shopping center onto the main road. Gave it too much lean and I knew as soon as I took the turn that tightly that it wasn't going to hold traction. Not only were my tires cold but it was around 1am so the roads were ice cold too. I'm lucky my buddy who was following behind me in his car didn't run me the gently caress over. I was seriously expecting to get hit by him as I was lowsiding.

I won't bother posting pictures because it's just standard crash affair. Didn't have frame sliders so my right fairings/levers/pipe are hosed up cosmetically. Gear pretty much looks untouched but I know it saved the poo poo out of me. My jeans got lacerated and my knee is pretty hosed up. As z3n has iterated before, wear overpants or knee guards at the very least. If I had been going any faster than about 10mph I wouldn't be walking right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Woot first crash of 2010?

We had a fairly quiet new years, so come Friday morning we decided to ride across the city to a cafe for some breakfast on such a fine morning. I wanted to take the bike as it was such a nice morning, after all this rain and clouds we have been having in Brisbane. So the missus and I jump on the SV, head across the story bridge and down Ann St towards southbank. What should have been a 5 minute ride turned into a 7 hour saga.

The roads were really dead, but thats no reason to speed, i was doing the limit (60km/hr) down Ann St coming up to the Creek Rd intersection outside Central Station. Up ahead was a white Astra, he was in the 3rd lane from the right, i was in the second lane from the right. Ideally this would mean we were both going straight ahead. The Astra slowed down as it entered the intersection, which made me a bit suspicious, i was only 3 car lengths behind so when he put his indicator on to turn right, alarm bells went off. All i had time to do was hit the horn and start to swerve, i dont even remember if i hit the brakes. The Astra turned right across in front of me to cut across the intersection, i hit it on a 45 degree angle on the front door, traveling at around 50km/hr.

The poor lady on the back was thrown off the bike and landed on her back, sliding down the street to end up in the gutter. I was crushed up against the car, wiped their side mirror off with my fist and arm, yet somehow managed to bounce off and keep the bike upright. I remember the impact and looking down and seeing the bars whipping back and forth, but it was over in a second and it was still up. I dont even think i did anything to save it, just lucky i suppose.

We had the paramedics there, fire and two police cars, and the pedestrians that were there were awesome helping keep my partner still until the ambos arrived.

We were taken to the RBH emergency where after 6 hours of x-rays and CT scans the worst we have is some scrapes, bruises and whiplash.

In all the excitement i only took a quick look at the bike before it was towed, i couldn't really see any damage, but im sure its there. The side of their car was caved in all along the drivers door and front quarter panel. From what i understand they were in a hire car, so goodbye bond! He told the police he did look in his mirror and a shoulder check, but we all know that doesn't mean much when your looking for cars, not bikes.

All in all, a very fortunate result. It could have been MUCH worse for both of us, especially at that speed. Even though we feel like we went through a tumble drier this morning we are glad to be ok.

Remember, those cages ARE out to kill us!

edit - oh, and the dingus is going to be charged for improper lane change or something.

• Locked thread