Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
When I looked at the kittens it didn't say who the parents were. I couldn't find anything that said how often the moms had kittens, much less who they were. They seem willing to sell any one a cat with no checks what so ever. The sight may have had this info and I just couldn't navigate it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helvetica Neue
Sep 1, 2004

Ok. I posted here a couple of weeks ago about my 7 month old kitten. I got him from a coworker who, at the time, said all her kittens had been vaccinated, then a month ago told me she never said that. Whatever.

Last night I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep, when we heard this... scratching on the outside wall. We had heard it about 3 nights ago, but it didn't last long and when we went to investigate there was nothing there. But this time, when my boyfriend went upstairs to check it out, he found six loving raccoons on our porch eating the cat's food. SIX. The porch is on the second floor, I had no idea that raccoons could scale walls. He took a broom and stuck it out the door and banged it around to scare them. They all hopped up on the railing around the porch and he proceeded to knock them off with the broom (it was pretty epic).

Anyway. Raccoons can carry rabies. My cat hasn't had a rabies shot. He was absolutely terrified to go outside and I know that he did not come in contact with the raccoons, but they WERE in his food. Is there any chance that their rabies infected spit could transfer to my cat through his food?

Also I'm taking him to get vaccinated ASAP. :(

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Helvetica Neue posted:

Ok. I posted here a couple of weeks ago about my 7 month old kitten. I got him from a coworker who, at the time, said all her kittens had been vaccinated, then a month ago told me she never said that. Whatever.

Last night I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep, when we heard this... scratching on the outside wall. We had heard it about 3 nights ago, but it didn't last long and when we went to investigate there was nothing there. But this time, when my boyfriend went upstairs to check it out, he found six loving raccoons on our porch eating the cat's food. SIX. The porch is on the second floor, I had no idea that raccoons could scale walls. He took a broom and stuck it out the door and banged it around to scare them. They all hopped up on the railing around the porch and he proceeded to knock them off with the broom (it was pretty epic).

Anyway. Raccoons can carry rabies. My cat hasn't had a rabies shot. He was absolutely terrified to go outside and I know that he did not come in contact with the raccoons, but they WERE in his food. Is there any chance that their rabies infected spit could transfer to my cat through his food?

Also I'm taking him to get vaccinated ASAP. :(

I looked around on Google . . . While rabies can be transmitted through saliva, it has to be pretty fresh and it needs to get into the body pretty fast (hence why almost all rabies cases come from bites). It would probably not survive very long sitting on food that's out in the wind and sun. So unless the cat ate immediately after the raccoons got into it, I wouldn't worry that much.

More importantly, why is your cat's food outside? Raccoons (and possums, and probably every mean or stinky animal you don't want in your poo poo) loving love cat food and are great climbers so don't leave it out there anymore or they'll keep coming back.

Yes, get the poor guy all his shots as soon as you can, why make him wait any longer?

Helvetica Neue
Sep 1, 2004

Well, I made a huge play area for him and my other cat out on the back porch. It's high up and about eye level with the trees, so they can bird watch on the porch railing. They have a cat tree and other various furniture items they can climb on, they love being out there. Their litter box is also out there and.. it just made sense to put their food and water outside too. It never occurred to me that raccoons could scale walls.

Thank you for the rabies information, that helps ease my panic a little. I've already made him a vet appointment for next week. :)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Helvetica Neue posted:

Well, I made a huge play area for him and my other cat out on the back porch. It's high up and about eye level with the trees, so they can bird watch on the porch railing. They have a cat tree and other various furniture items they can climb on, they love being out there. Their litter box is also out there and.. it just made sense to put their food and water outside too. It never occurred to me that raccoons could scale walls.

Thank you for the rabies information, that helps ease my panic a little. I've already made him a vet appointment for next week. :)

I'd have to see a picture of the whole area to judge how they probably got up there but raccoons are very good climbers. They've got the whole night to get that food and they'll find a way, even if it means jumping down from your roof. Leaving food outside is always a bad idea unless you want to meet your wild neighbors up close.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fire In The Disco posted:

If it is food adjustment, it should get better in another week or so. You can make it a little better by mixing some canned pumpkin (make sure it's plain and not pie filling) in with some wet food. Pumpkin is basically pure fiber and will bind those poops together nicely.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your advice has made life worth living again. No more farts, no more poop tracked all over the house, no more being terrified the cat is going to die from dehydration . What a difference. Thank you!

I'm sure she'd thank you, too.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Awesome!!! Also, she's amazingly adorable. :3:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My cat has never had an accident before but just right now as I was cleaning her litter box she peed all over my bathmat. Could it be possible that she just needed to pee as I was cleaning it or could it be something else?

IDemandSatisfaction
Feb 20, 2007

Glove slap baby!
Additional pee question: Newman peed on my blanket for the first time. Whats the best way to get the pee smell out?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

Additional pee question: Newman peed on my blanket for the first time. Whats the best way to get the pee smell out?

Stuff you might already have at home: white vinegar. Make a diluted solution and dunk the blanket in. But it isn't enzymatic and it won't keep him from peeing there again. It will keep it from stinking while you go get something that will.

Stuff to get at the pet store (also available at some grocery stores): Nature's Miracle. It takes a while to dry out completely, but the enzymes break everything down and make it so that it won't smell like pee to Newman.

Tiko
May 27, 2008
so my I've been thinking about getting a kitten for a while now, and after discussing it with my girlfriend, she's pretty excited about the idea as well. I've read the OP and know that its better to get 2 kittens, but unfortunately due to apartment pet fees and space, we can only get 1. We'd be adopting one from the Humane Society, and i'll probably take a couple days off work to spend time with the kitten as it gets used to its new home.

We were discussing where we could put a litter box in relation to the food, and my idea was the litterbox on one side of our kitchen, and the food/water on the opposite side, about 20 feet away, is that far enough? There'd be a kitchen bar separating the areas.

At most, the kitten will be alone for about 8 hours if we both work mornings, but if she works night, it'll be alone for about 5 hours until i get home, is there anything i should be worried about here? I was thinking of closing off the kitchen area for the kitten to wander about until i get home and can watch it and play with it, and just leaving some toys along with its food and litter box for the times we are both away. Hopefully this way it just gets used to having no furniture to attack and just leaves our couch alone once i'm comfortable letting it roam the entire apartment when its alone.

I know kittens can be nightmares and i've learned alot from this thread/other resources, and it hasn't put me off from wanting one, but i still have some minor concerns about owning one. I just want whats best for the kitten, and our Humane Society is almost at capacity for kittens so i'd be helping them out too. I'll definately try and find one that seems like it be ok from the other kittens, i don't want to make the kittens sad when i take one of them away :ohdear:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Tiko posted:

I know kittens can be nightmares and i've learned alot from this thread/other resources, and it hasn't put me off from wanting one, but i still have some minor concerns about owning one. I just want whats best for the kitten, and our Humane Society is almost at capacity for kittens so i'd be helping them out too. I'll definately try and find one that seems like it be ok from the other kittens, i don't want to make the kittens sad when i take one of them away :ohdear:

Why do you want a kitten specifically? How old of a kitten do you want?

I've had great experiences with adopting young adult (1 year) and fully adult (7 years) cats, and would highly recommend it for your first cat, particularly if you don't want to get a pair. Adults are also less adoptable, so you might want to keep an open mind if you meet an older cat who just clicks with you.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Have you considered an older cat (over 8 mo or so)? Your situation doesn't sound ideal for a single kitten, and if the kitten is going to be alone for 5-8 hours, the kitten is going to be bored and cause hell (or get him/herself into lots of trouble). A slightly older cat will still have lots of energy but be able to handle themselves for long periods of time a day. And that way you can adopt a cat that is most comfortable in a single cat household, too.

After all, what do you want from a kitten? If it's because of the cuteness, kittens become cats very quickly. If it's because of the energy, young cats still have plenty of kitten-energy without being nearly as destructive/needy. If it's because you're afraid of problems with bonding, know that that's a dumb thing to think, because many of us here know that a cat will bond just as much as a kitten will.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I've seen Feliway recommended here a lot and I would like to give it a shot to see if it can chill out my older cat around the younger one. However I'm in Canada and can't seem to find a place to order it online - Petsmart won't ship to Canada, distributors through Amazon won't ship to Canada - can I only get it through the vet here, as some sites seem to suggest?

If there's a way to order it online that would be preferred.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

even worse username posted:

I've seen Feliway recommended here a lot and I would like to give it a shot to see if it can chill out my older cat around the younger one. However I'm in Canada and can't seem to find a place to order it online - Petsmart won't ship to Canada, distributors through Amazon won't ship to Canada - can I only get it through the vet here, as some sites seem to suggest?

If there's a way to order it online that would be preferred.

Looks like there is plenty on Canadian eBay.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

nonanone posted:

Have you considered an older cat (over 8 mo or so)? Your situation doesn't sound ideal for a single kitten, and if the kitten is going to be alone for 5-8 hours, the kitten is going to be bored and cause hell (or get him/herself into lots of trouble)

...and also stalk and attack you every single time you walk anywhere. My wife was adamant about not getting a second cat, until I told her it would mean no more scratches covering her legs from knee to toe.

Tiko
May 27, 2008
Those are all great points, thanks. I honestly wasn't sure why I wanted a kitten specifically, and having never owned a pet didn't really think about it all that much. I did have doubts about my apartment being good for only 1 kitten, i'll probably end up adopting an older one. We were planning on visiting the humane society for more info and all that, and honestly, if one takes a liking to us, age won't matter at all.

Any tips on preparing for bringing home a new cat? I want it to be him/her to be as comfortable as possible while getting used to new surroundings

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

Tiko posted:

Any tips on preparing for bringing home a new cat? I want it to be him/her to be as comfortable as possible while getting used to new surroundings

Go read the pet nutrition thread to learn about good food and be sure to find out what the humane society is feeding their cats and buy a bag of that too. You need to transition a cat off of one food and on to the other in a two week period of time or so. Look at the lists of poison for cats and look at aspca's list and cross check to see if you have anything in your house that the cat can get into.

There is a lot more advice that I'm not an expert on, but I was a first time pet owner and thought the shinny super expensive bags of food at the store were the best because the vet was so adamant about it. I was so wrong :(

Cats can jump really high too. My kitten was able to hop up on my table and knock a lot of expensive electronics off. I didn't get mad at him, I just made sure nothing is on the edge of the tables anymore. At 7 months he can jump on every table in the house and halfway across the rooms so remember that.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Meow Cadet posted:

Looks like there is plenty on Canadian eBay.

I looked at that, although not exhaustively, and all the sellers I saw are in the States. I suspect there must be some kind of customs restriction on shipping the stuff across the border otherwise Petsmart would do it, so I'm hesitant to roll the dice with an eBay transaction.

I'll have a longer look I guess though.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My kitty just peed again, looks like it might be time to take her to the vet.:smith:

Bexx
Sep 26, 2002

pandafan posted:

What did I do wrong? Why doesn't she like me? What can I do?

Notes:
She is 10 months old.
She has been to the vet in the past few weeks (getting spayed, vaccinated, tested), and nothing was wrong.
I feed her Solid Gold with occasional wet food from Wellness. She was recently on Eukanuba.

This might sound silly but, do you use lotion? Does your friend? Most lotions have scent in them. And that scent get distributed to all your clothes. I have a crazy good sense of smell and I know that the smell stays on your clothes for a long damned time. If the cat prefers someone else to you all the time your scent might be chasing her away. Having an alcohol based fragrance near the eyes is incredibly annoying. Does your cat allow you to pet her back/rump more then her face neck? I would try this if everything else has been ruled out.

Dr. Needleman
Jan 26, 2004

we been livin' through your internet
Took a weekly trip to the cat shelter with my kids this past weekend and.. got roped into a kitten. It all happened so fast, like my children and the shelter workers had it out for my wallet. We don’t have a name yet, although my 9 year old has dubbed her “Smash-face” for the time being. She doesn’t do any tricks.

They said she was a "Bombay" and her papers have her named as "Morticia" (good lord).

I'm looking for name suggestions, humor appreciated, if anyone has any.

IDemandSatisfaction
Feb 20, 2007

Glove slap baby!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Stuff you might already have at home: white vinegar. Make a diluted solution and dunk the blanket in. But it isn't enzymatic and it won't keep him from peeing there again. It will keep it from stinking while you go get something that will.

Stuff to get at the pet store (also available at some grocery stores): Nature's Miracle. It takes a while to dry out completely, but the enzymes break everything down and make it so that it won't smell like pee to Newman.

Forgot to come back and thank you for the help. I used Nature's Miracle, but it didn't live up to my gf's standards of pee removal (I thought it was fine), so now I have all new bedding.

Another thing though: He absolutely refuses to drink water out of a bowl. He only drinks out of a glass. We found him wandering the street, so I figure its just a habit he picked up when he was lost. But drat, I'd like to break him of it if I can.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Try a fountain. 2 of my cats prefer to drink running water and don't like the stale still water (unless of course it's in one of glasses, in which it's instantly awesome-magic-delicious water that needs to be tipped over).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Dr. Needleman posted:

Took a weekly trip to the cat shelter with my kids this past weekend and.. got roped into a kitten. It all happened so fast, like my children and the shelter workers had it out for my wallet. We don’t have a name yet, although my 9 year old has dubbed her “Smash-face” for the time being. She doesn’t do any tricks.

They said she was a "Bombay" and her papers have her named as "Morticia" (good lord).

So cute. :3: Her black fur and orange eyes remind me of Halloween so I keep thinking of witchy names like Tabitha or Sabrina.

Comedy names: Snowball, Lucky

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dr. Needleman posted:

What a beautiful little faaaaace :swoon: How about Sapphire? She can be a Bombay Sapphire.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
^^^Sapphire is the best name. :3:

My boyfriend's Russian Blue/Siamese cross, Paddy, was going to be moving in with us shortly, but he's been having trouble with his liver lately (read: for a long time, but he's taken a turn for the worse this weekend and needs more intensive treatment) and his parents would like to keep him with them - the move would be just too stressful, they have more money to throw at emergency vet bills than we do, and why shouldn't an ill, senior cat spend his twilight years in a sunny, wooded backyard with chipmunks to slaughter? :black101:

So, after talking about it with BF, we're going to look into adopting. Finally - it's been a continual back-and-forth with his folks about where Paddy should live and it only took them ~4 months to decide. He's very cat-experienced, as in, "hand-raised abandoned feral kittens and fostered them until they were completely tame" experienced. Unfortunately, I am highly allergic to cats and Paddy has been one of two cats, ever, that didn't give me sinus headaches and hives. (I can hold him and pet him and everything - it's amaaaazing! We're 100% sure on his breed, since he was the product of a neighbors' accidental litter.) Wikipedia tells me that RBs produce less allergens than most cats, which makes sense with my experience, but the source link is broken and I can't tell if it's BS or not.

The other issue is that neither of us want a kitten. They are assholes. Google is giving me nothing on RB breeders in my area (Boston) and Petfinder is showing me a bunch of gray cats that may or may not be (but most likely aren't) actual RBs. After the holidays, we're planning a tour of the local shelters and rescues so I can meet the random gray cats, but I'm trying to cut through the bullshit and hives and just adopt a less-allergenic kitty. Who knows a good RB rescue or a breeder that might be able to hook me up with an adult? I am in no rush and am the type to take my time and find the perfect fit, but would like to start looking - the house is so quiet without the rats about, and I already ran out and bought the litterbox, toys, and other supplies for Paddy's supposed arrival.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

demozthenes posted:

The other issue is that neither of us want a kitten. They are assholes. Google is giving me nothing on RB breeders in my area (Boston) and Petfinder is showing me a bunch of gray cats that may or may not be (but most likely aren't) actual RBs. After the holidays, we're planning a tour of the local shelters and rescues so I can meet the random gray cats, but I'm trying to cut through the bullshit and hives and just adopt a less-allergenic kitty. Who knows a good RB rescue or a breeder that might be able to hook me up with an adult? I am in no rush and am the type to take my time and find the perfect fit, but would like to start looking - the house is so quiet without the rats about, and I already ran out and bought the litterbox, toys, and other supplies for Paddy's supposed arrival.

I would start with the CFA's recommended breeders. http://secure.cfa.org/Search.aspx Many reputable breeders will ship a cat, so location isn't really an issue. Email, or better yet call them, and ask about retired breeders, or any rescue groups they know of. There are a couple of other allergy friendly breeds out there, but like most things, there's no guarantee.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I just adopted this little cutie at a Manhattan shelter this weekend, her name is Zara. She loves to just sit on people and be pet and purr like there's no tomorrow, this cat has so much love to give its ridiculous :)

lovely cell phone picture because I don't own a camera, sorry for that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dr. Needleman posted:

Robert Meowgabe or Kitti Amin

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Help!

We are having a serious flea problem. We have two cats, and are using frontline from the vet. Can anyone recommend a good spray or whatever to use on furniture/carpets? Poor kitties are miserable and we are working on getting rid of the fleas, but not sure how to get them out of carpets/furniture.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm thinking I might get my cat(s) a drinkwell. Is it worth it to get the ~platinum~ or whatever, instead of the basic model, besides capacity (16 cups vs. 6 cups)?

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I have the original one, got it at petsmart for way way cheap (like 15-20 bucks) and it works just fine and has the added benefit that Oreo can knock the top off of it when he wants to be a bigger rear end in a top hat than normal reminding me to tape it down.

Although, higher capacity is pretty important with multiple cats IMO and if they all drink from it. Oreo drinks from it exclusively and Tigger (who is about 8 years old) drinks from the normal water bowl. Oreo will run it low in a day or two and it'll start making its gurgling sound. "Low" isn't all the water, but more of what's enough to make the water level go below the drain, which doesn't seem to be a lot.

If more than one cat was going to drink from it I would get the bigger model for sure.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm thinking I might get my cat(s) a drinkwell. Is it worth it to get the ~platinum~ or whatever, instead of the basic model, besides capacity (16 cups vs. 6 cups)?

I have the regular with the reservoir, and for four cats living in the desert, I fill it once a day. I also clean it out once a week, because the water intake gets clogged with hair. I hear that they did a better job with the intake on the platinum, so for me, that would be about the only reason to get the platinum over the regular.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll take the middle road and get the basic with a 50oz tank...

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

No one has a good flea product recommendation?

Also, what is the best way to trim a kitty's claws? I've successfully talked my sister out of the pedipaw thing, so now we need to figure out what product to get to trim the claws.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

evelynevvie posted:

Also, what is the best way to trim a kitty's claws? I've successfully talked my sister out of the pedipaw thing, so now we need to figure out what product to get to trim the claws.

I've seen people recommend fleabusters powder for the house, along with frontline and a vigilant campaign of vacuuming. Unfortunately, an infestation will take a while (2 months?) to make sure it's all gone, because very few products attack one stage of the flea's life cycle where they go dormant.

I like the scissor-type clippers, I find they don't split the claws as often as other ones do.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

evelynevvie posted:

Ugh, we just got hit with fleas too. :( Call a professional to come spray for fleas, vacuum every single day and throw out the bags after. Wash all your bedding. It's probably just going to be a lot of vigilant, obsessive vacuuming. Sprinkle fleabusters on your carpets and baseboard areas; keep that cat out of the room for awhile during this. Getting your carpets steam cleaned helps too.

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...
Quick question:

I'm fostering a ~6 week old kitten, and there's just one small problem: she smells like all hell get out. Like, really really smells quite musky/I'm not sure what. We bathed her twice last night, and today she smells just like she did before the baths. It's especially bad around her face, so could it be her breath, and then it spreads as she licks herself?

Any ideas or suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSnatch
May 12, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are there any issues with giving a cat more than one rabies vaccine in a year?