Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I was wondering what people though of Hogan's super, omega world title reign in WCW? You know, where he held for like 3 years straight while dropping it only a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

bradzilla posted:

Here's a thought. Do most people consider Wrestlemania X7 to be the pinnacle, as well as the death of the Attitude Era? It seemed like a perfect storm of a show, and with WCW being purchased a week before, the Monday Night Wars were effectively ended. All of the matches on the undercard were pure Attitude Era poo poo, and then the main event with Austin's heel turn seemingly nailing the coffin shut in that one night.

Most people do, but I don't agree.

Would you consider this the Attitude Era?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5cwmw_the-rock-stone-cold-11122001_fun
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5cwqb_the-rock-stone-cold-11122001-part-2_fun

It's hard to watch that and say that it isn't. Austin's heel turn is gone and forgotten about like it never happened. Austin and Rock are still the two most popular guys in company. Here, they're cutting the defining promo of both of their characters.

If you go back and watch shows from 2001, a lot of them still feel very attitude era-ish.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ColeM posted:

I was wondering what people though of Hogan's super, omega world title reign in WCW? You know, where he held for like 3 years straight while dropping it only a few times.

I think it's safe to say that most of us hated it; Hogan's reign was symptomatic of WCW's good undercard/lovely main event problem, not to mention the backstage pull Hogan had and freely abused.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm one of those who feels that the Attitude Era "ended" with Wrestlemania 17, but that it wasn't an ending full stop, but the beginning of the transitory period between the Attitude Era and whatever followed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I'm one of those who feels that the Attitude Era "ended" with Wrestlemania 17, but that it wasn't an ending full stop, but the beginning of the transitory period between the Attitude Era and whatever followed.

Degeneration Next.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, it was still pretty awesome up until about after Wrestlemania 19 or so.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Is it pronounced DEgeneration X or deGENeration X?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
The way they say it on TV.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Captain Strange posted:

Is it pronounced DEgeneration X or deGENeration X?

The emphasis is on the D in DX.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Graic posted:

The way they say it on TV.

Is JR pronounced Jay Are or Jur?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Jerusalem posted:

Is JR pronounced Jay Are or Jur?

Junior

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

apsouthern posted:

Junior

Is Jay Are Fatu ever going to return to WWE? (pronounced wah-wee)

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
DX is pronounced Di Ks.

It all makes sense now.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Is Jay Are Fatu ever going to return to WWE? (pronounced wah-wee)

Lookit Jayru Salum over here.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Gannon like Cannon

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Was there any explanation as to why during the early part of the 2000s, the WWE shifted the Raw announce table into a semi-orchestra pit up on the entrance ramp? Just trying something new? Wanted it to be more like a press box at a baseball game? More room for the Bikertaker to do donuts around the ring?

I wasn't watching continuously then and I understand there's precedent (it always felt like Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were up in the nosebleeds when they'd show them during Royal Rumbles), but it always looks weird when I catch clips that have the table back there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I recall that it was kayfabe a Bischoff directive, I don't know if it was REALLY one of his ideas or if they decided they wanted a point of difference from Smackdown and used Bischoff as GM to explain it on television. I hated it, personally, it just felt wrong.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
When did Vince start doing the whole "YOU'RE FIRRRED!" thing? I know he's been doing it for awhile but I'm curious when he first used it.

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!
Can anybody explain briefly what the hell happened with Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan in Sydney earlier today? As someone new to wrestling (only got into it this year)... what is the history between the two? Is Ric Flair actually insane? Are they still both involved in the story-telling side of wrestling?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

061469 posted:

Can anybody explain briefly what the hell happened with Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan in Sydney earlier today? As someone new to wrestling (only got into it this year)... what is the history between the two? Is Ric Flair actually insane? Are they still both involved in the story-telling side of wrestling?

Hogan is running his own promotion in Australia, where he is fighting Flair in the main event. Everything else was them building hype for that match.

Flair might be a little insane though.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Shitty_Wok posted:

When did Vince start doing the whole "YOU'RE FIRRRED!" thing? I know he's been doing it for awhile but I'm curious when he first used it.

During the Austin feud in 1998. I think Austin was special guest referee for a match between Taker and Kane for the vacant world championship and he attacked them both. Then Vince gave him the YEEERRRRR FIRRREEEEDD!

At least, that's what I think happened.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

Was there any explanation as to why during the early part of the 2000s, the WWE shifted the Raw announce table into a semi-orchestra pit up on the entrance ramp? Just trying something new? Wanted it to be more like a press box at a baseball game? More room for the Bikertaker to do donuts around the ring?

I wasn't watching continuously then and I understand there's precedent (it always felt like Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were up in the nosebleeds when they'd show them during Royal Rumbles), but it always looks weird when I catch clips that have the table back there.

Since they are watching the monitors anyway, it was probably done so there would be more room around the ring for out of ring action and for editing purposes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

AKA Driver posted:

That was where the announce table was on Nitro. Bischoff was trying to make Raw more like Nitro. I liked it. I kinda wish they'd move the announcers up to the press box like the old days.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

During the Austin feud in 1998. I think Austin was special guest referee for a match between Taker and Kane for the vacant world championship and he attacked them both. Then Vince gave him the YEEERRRRR FIRRREEEEDD!

At least, that's what I think happened.
Close. It was actually a Triple Threat match between Kane, Taker & Austin. They both pinned Austin which vacated the title and set up the Survivor Series '98 title tournament. As for the YEEERRRRR FIRRREEEEDD! You're correct there and Shane re-hired Austin a couple of weeks later. I think the "Vince pisses his pants" segment also occured as a result of this.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What current WWE and TNA roster members are future WWE Hall of Famers?

HHH, HBK, The Undertaker, Jericho & John Cena are locks. Anyone besides them?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I would think Edge would have a better shot than Cena.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sting. He'll get there sooner if he ever works for WWE, much later if he doesn't.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

In WWE, I'd say Randy Orton is well on his way. Big Show, Kane, and Rey Mysterio are guaranteed. I think that guys like Mark Henry, Tommy Dreamer, Christian, William Regal, and Goldust have been around long enough to have spots saved for them. The Hardys are absolutely going to be inducted one day, I imagine after Matt retires or Jeff dies. Whichever comes first.

In TNA I'd say the Dudleys, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner (probably the Steiners as a team) and Kurt Angle, if they reestablish ties with WWE at any point. Or after they die. Whichever.

As for people associated with neither, the Rock and Booker T are shoo-ins, and a case can be made for Rob Van Dam.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 18, 2009

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What current WWE and TNA roster members are future WWE Hall of Famers?

HHH, HBK, The Undertaker, Jericho & John Cena are locks. Anyone besides them?

Jimmy Wang Yang, Funaki, Ricky Ortiz, Festus, Braden Walker, Matt Hardy.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Shitty_Wok posted:

I would think Edge would have a better shot than Cena.

Come on. That's an uber-smark thing to say. I'm not saying Edge isn't, but to say he has a better shot than Cena is just patently ridiculous. He's been their top guy for almost five years now. Granted, one might say Edge is the "MVP" of the last five years, but you'd have to say their chances are pretty much hovering around 99.9%.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Close. It was actually a Triple Threat match between Kane, Taker & Austin. They both pinned Austin which vacated the title and set up the Survivor Series '98 title tournament. As for the YEEERRRRR FIRRREEEEDD! You're correct there and Shane re-hired Austin a couple of weeks later. I think the "Vince pisses his pants" segment also occured as a result of this.

both of you are wrong, Austin ref'd a match between taker and kane, but beat the crap out of both of them and declared himself the WWF champion.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

dusty udder smoker posted:

both of you are wrong, Austin ref'd a match between taker and kane, but beat the crap out of both of them and declared himself the WWF champion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_Day:_In_Your_House Well I'll be damned.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes, it was still pretty awesome up until about after Wrestlemania 19 or so.

We must not have watched the same TV. The rest of the PPVs in 2001 were decent, but TV sank to depths not seen since...well, 1999...and 2002 was a loving horrendous year. Awful TV and only 2-3 PPVs that were watchable. 2003 was decent, but that's only because Smackdown carried the load for Raw's poo poo year.

Nobody mentioned it, but WMX7 is considered the end, because EVERYTHING started falling off a cliff after it. TV was already going down fast since Stephanie took over as Head Writer, anyway. However, once The Rock left, HHH and Austin had to finagle something watchable out of Kane and The Undertaker, who were both absolutely wretched to watch in 2001, and the midcard started to deteriorate in quality. Then the Invasion happened and we all know how that turned out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

to be fair most of us were like 10-14 and weren't concerned about snowflakes. there's a reason road dogg always got a giant reaction despite not being able to wrestle worth a drat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was a huge fan of the Two Man Power Trip and thought their run through the Hardyz, the BoD and finally Jericho and Benoit was excellent. Austin held up his end after Triple H went out with injury, but things definitely began to fall apart after that, with the enormous potential of the Invasion not being realized and Jericho's first run as Undisputed Champion stupidly derailed into the Triple H and Stephanie story.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I was a huge fan of the Two Man Power Trip and thought their run through the Hardyz, the BoD and finally Jericho and Benoit was excellent. Austin held up his end after Triple H went out with injury, but things definitely began to fall apart after that, with the enormous potential of the Invasion not being realized and Jericho's first run as Undisputed Champion stupidly derailed into the Triple H and Stephanie story.

honestly i wonder if jericho was even supposed to get the title then. if you noticed, the set for Vengeance was extreeeeeeeeeeemely sledgehammer themed, and hhh was originally thought to be returning a little big after survivor series

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
When they make the WWE Hall of Fame an actual building, what will they name the concourses?

Elevator from Subbasement A to Subbasement B: "Sawyer Lift"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

dusty udder smoker posted:

honestly i wonder if jericho was even supposed to get the title then. if you noticed, the set for Vengeance was extreeeeeeeeeeemely sledgehammer themed, and hhh was originally thought to be returning a little big after survivor series

I hope he wasn't the original choice. I can't believe the writing team sat down, chose Jericho as champ, wrote out his storyline, and then everyone agreed this was good for both Jericho and the WWE.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

oldpainless posted:

I hope he wasn't the original choice. I can't believe the writing team sat down, chose Jericho as champ, wrote out his storyline, and then everyone agreed this was good for both Jericho and the WWE.

I thought that Austin and Rock were the original choices, but they both felt that Jericho deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Justice Grieves posted:

When they make the WWE Hall of Fame an actual building, what will they name the concourses?

Elevator from Subbasement A to Subbasement B: "Sawyer Lift"

There will be a doghouse in the back yard featuring Junkyard Dog's plaque. And eventually CM Punk's.