Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Your shift key broken, brah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

i am not so sure posted:

so because two movies fail at exploring this premise, that means there aren't enough movies that do it correctly? i can list so many movies that successfully raise the right questions about the human condition. i don't think surrogates is supposed to be revelatory in terms of conceptual thinking.

so many.

Would you mind sharing some of the examples so that I could check them out?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

jjack229 posted:

Would you mind sharing some of the examples so that I could check them out?

generally, a film explores themes that are part of this greater theme of the human condition. technically every movie ever made about people concerns the human condition and our strengths and weaknesses.

but to start with films directly about that greater theme, anything by tarkovsky and bergman should do the trick. also check out charlie kaufman's "synecdoche, new york."

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 30, 2014

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
This is more of a movie forum question than an actual movie question: Not too long ago, somebody on here posted a two-part youtube video deconstructing Mad Max. I was wondering if anybody knew what happened to those videos, or which thread that happened in?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

In The Thing, is it ever established who actually went and destroyed the blood supplies in the locked fridge so they couldn't do the first blood test? They said that the doctor and Garry were the only guys with access to the key, but neither of them ends up being infected. I assume it's meant to be Blair since he was the one going around loving with stuff while they thought he was locked up in the shack, but how did he get into the fridge without breaking the lock?

e: nevermind, found the discussion here http://www.outpost31.com/movie/faq.html

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 16, 2009

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot
i really want to find out the first movie or play or whatever to feature an unruly mob w/ torches or like if that trope is extremely older than film. where did it come from?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Pablo Naruto posted:

i really want to find out the first movie or play or whatever to feature an unruly mob w/ torches or like if that trope is extremely older than film. where did it come from?

Frankenstein (1931) is the earliest film I can think of that has it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Also, you can't exist at the same time as you're already existing, that's why the movie made a good move in not having him hunting in the scene where he dies. Since he died and still exists (in the book) the one that was hunting can now jump around replacing the one that was shot.
I've re-read this and I really don't know what you're getting at here. His time travelling doesn't create copies of himself.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Also, you can't exist at the same time as you're already existing, that's why the movie made a good move in not having him hunting in the scene where he dies. Since he died and still exists (in the book) the one that was hunting can now jump around replacing the one that was shot.

Do you know this from your own personal time-travelling or...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Something that always bothered me, why did Dirty Harry came back to the police after the end of the first movie? I guess it could have been a similar situation to Sherlock Holmes's death and ressurection, but the ending of the first movie makes it somewhat hard to believe he would just go back like if nothing happened. Are the sequels in fact prequels?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Honest Thief posted:

Something that always bothered me, why did Dirty Harry came back to the police after the end of the first movie? I guess it could have been a similar situation to Sherlock Holmes's death and ressurection, but the ending of the first movie makes it somewhat hard to believe he would just go back like if nothing happened. Are the sequels in fact prequels?
They're not prequels. The change is never really explained. I think the second film (Magnum Force (1973)) is a not-so-subtle commentary on the implied politics of the first film. The end of Dirty Harry (1971) seems to imply that the only way capital-J Justice can be served is by the actions of individuals who are willing to work outside of the `system' (which the film presents as inherently corrupt and feeble). Magnum Force seems to backpedal not only by having Harry retrieve his badge between films but also in presenting an overall narrative that expressly rejects the sort of vigilantism advocated by the first.

Most of the later films are just generic cops-n-robbers schtick, and are difficult to parse as presenting a political message.

SploogeDood84
Sep 1, 2008

by Ozma
edit: ignore me :)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I've seen "Yellow Submarine" and "A Hard Day's Night." Are any of the other Beatles movies worth watching if you're not a huge fan?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Binowru posted:

I've seen "Yellow Submarine" and "A Hard Day's Night." Are any of the other Beatles movies worth watching if you're not a huge fan?

I remember Help! being closer in tone to Airplane! and being hilarious, but it's been a long time since I saw it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

ClydeUmney posted:

I remember Help! being closer in tone to Airplane! and being hilarious, but it's been a long time since I saw it.

Is that the one where Ringo gets the magic ring stuck on his finger? I caught part of it on TV and it seemed pretty funny.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Rake Arms posted:

Is that the one where Ringo gets the magic ring stuck on his finger? I caught part of it on TV and it seemed pretty funny.

Yep, that's the one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Binowru posted:

Help! is one of my all-time favorite movies and what got me interested in The Beatles. Great songs, extremely funny, and some awesome cinematography and editing. It's basically a Marx Brothers film with The Beatles. The supporting cast is terrific, including Leo McKern, Victor Spinetti, and Roy Kinnear. But if you don't like humor in the vein of the Marx Brothers or Monty Python, this will probably grate on your nerves.

Magical Mystery Tour was made entirely by The Beatles. They directed themselves, wrote it, and produced it. So, it doesn't have the professionalism Richard Lester's two films have. Even at under an hour, it tends to drag whenever there's not a song. But it's worth it for the musical sequences, especially Blue Jay Way, I Am the Walrus, and The Fool on the Hill.

Let It Be manages to be quite boring and unsatisfying for an 80 min. movie. You get to see loosely edited footage of rehearsals, arguments, and random stuff. It's not until the brilliant "rooftop concert" that it becomes worthwhile. You're better off watching the episodes of The Beatles Anthology.

The Compleat Beatles sucks, too. Two hours of rostrum camera and dry interviews with people who knew them. Only the material with George Martin is worth watching, but it's essentially stuff covered again in The Beatles Anthology.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Netflix question:

Is there any way to view a comprehensive list of a specific genre? For example, say I want to see all of the "Italian Horror" subgenre. When I go to Italian Horror and click see all, it shows about 3 pages of what seems to be randomly selected ones, but certainly not "all" of what Netflix has. I want a full list.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

caiman posted:

Netflix question:

Is there any way to view a comprehensive list of a specific genre? For example, say I want to see all of the "Italian Horror" subgenre. When I go to Italian Horror and click see all, it shows about 3 pages of what seems to be randomly selected ones, but certainly not "all" of what Netflix has. I want a full list.

Would they really have more than three pages of "Italian horror?" That seems like a fairly specific genre.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

When I go to "Italian Horror" I get 5 pages of titles*. When I go to "Foreign" I get 285 pages. So 5 pages of Italian Horror is probably all there is.

* if you're only getting 3 pages, try checking the "Show rated/seen titles" box

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I can't even name an Italian Horror film :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the posted:

Not even Suspiria?

Read InfiniteZero's excellent giallo thread

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.

the posted:

Lucio Fulci is coming out of his grave to remind you with Zombi 2...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Even after I check the "Show seen/rated" box, I still don't get them all. I tested it by searching for Lucio Fulci's The Beyond. It is tagged as Italian Horror, yet does not show up when browsing the genre.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Thanks to the Giallo thread, I want to see some of the good examples. My first foray in was when I rented the Suspiria DVD from netflix. I couldn't make out anything anyone was saying but it had no subtitle\hearing impared track. Would there be a good legitimate place to find subtitles for DVDs so I can rent this again and enjoy it?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Moeru posted:

Thanks to the Giallo thread, I want to see some of the good examples. My first foray in was when I rented the Suspiria DVD from netflix. I couldn't make out anything anyone was saying but it had no subtitle\hearing impared track. Would there be a good legitimate place to find subtitles for DVDs so I can rent this again and enjoy it?

If you can track down the Blue Underground 2 DVD release of Suspiria, it should have English subtitles included (at least, that's what the Blue Underground website says).

SimpleSandwiches
Apr 15, 2009
With all this talk about "The Hobbit" movies being in pre-production, I had to start watching my LOTR: EE again.

I'm at the part when Gandalf returns to Bag End after he does some research and realizes Bilbo's ring may be THE ring. He throws into the fire, drops it in Frodo's hand and asks if anything happens to the ring.

Frodo says some sort of writing appears: it's Elvish but can't read it. Gandalf says it's the language of Mordor.

So..........is Sauron some sort of evil Elf? Is Mordor the cradle of Elvish civilization?

Nabeshin_Afroman
Feb 17, 2005

he tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister

SimpleSandwiches posted:

With all this talk about "The Hobbit" movies being in pre-production, I had to start watching my LOTR: EE again.

I'm at the part when Gandalf returns to Bag End after he does some research and realizes Bilbo's ring may be THE ring. He throws into the fire, drops it in Frodo's hand and asks if anything happens to the ring.

Frodo says some sort of writing appears: it's Elvish but can't read it. Gandalf says it's the language of Mordor.

So..........is Sauron some sort of evil Elf? Is Mordor the cradle of Elvish civilization?

Ok how to answer this question first of all no Mordor is not the cradle of Elvish civilization the first elves were found by the Valar In the far eastern land of Cuiviénen, on the shores of the Inland Sea of Helcar and beneath the mountains of the Orocarni.
As for Sauron he is a maia (A Spirit that came into the world at its creation as a sort of helper to the Valar who are the gods of middle earth) He was corrupted by the first dark lord Melkor back in the first age long beore the time of the ring. Its interesting as the Wizards (Gandal, Saruman) are also Maia spirits. But because of how Sauron was corrupted, when they are sent to aid the people of middle earth their powers are capped by the high lord of middle earth so that all they can do is advise.
Now as for the origins of black speech not much is known apart from the fact that it is corrupted elvish created by Sauron for the benefit of his Minions.
I hope this is clear enough if you need anymore Tolkien questions answered feel free i am a huge nerd for this stuff.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What are good film magazines? I'm looking for something with the same quality and depth of writing as Cinefex has for special effects, but for the other parts of the movie-making process.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

dik-dik posted:

What are good film magazines? I'm looking for something with the same quality and depth of writing as Cinefex has for special effects, but for the other parts of the movie-making process.

The only real craft-focused mags I can think of are American Cinematographer and Creative Screenwriting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nabeshin_Afroman posted:

Now as for the origins of black speech not much is known apart from the fact that it is corrupted elvish created by Sauron for the benefit of his Minions.

Most likely due to the fact that orcs are corrupted elves.

OK FOLKS
Jul 24, 2009
This a movie production question:

In The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (don't worry, no spoilers), all of the scenes Heath Ledger is in take place in the real world. His contemporaries who stepped in to play his character after he died all have parts in the fantasy world of the Imaginarium, which is almost completely done in CGI. My question is, when shooting a movie, don't the scenes with a lot of CGI get filmed first, so they can be completed while other shooting is done? Why would they have done it like that? It just seems weird that they filmed it in that order.

Also, regarding Heather Ledger's death during filming, is there some kind of insurance in place should an actor die? Like if they knew he was a pill-popping train wreck, could they protect against it ahead of time? Just wondering how common that is.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

OK FOLKS posted:

Also, regarding Heather Ledger's death during filming, is there some kind of insurance in place should an actor die? Like if they knew he was a pill-popping train wreck, could they protect against it ahead of time? Just wondering how common that is.

If that sort of insurance were available, nobody would write a policy for a Terry Gilliam movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The completion guarantee is sort of like "production insurance". If a movie is suddenly unable to continue filming and has to be abandoned, this is the mechanism that would trigger to handle all the lost investments.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

OK FOLKS posted:

This a movie production question:

In The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (don't worry, no spoilers), all of the scenes Heath Ledger is in take place in the real world. His contemporaries who stepped in to play his character after he died all have parts in the fantasy world of the Imaginarium, which is almost completely done in CGI. My question is, when shooting a movie, don't the scenes with a lot of CGI get filmed first, so they can be completed while other shooting is done? Why would they have done it like that? It just seems weird that they filmed it in that order.

IIRC the having everybody "step in" for Heath was the plan for the film long before Ledger's death. It was only retconned to be the show of solidarity once they could get more publicity for the film.

SaintFu posted:

If that sort of insurance were available, nobody would write a policy for a Terry Gilliam movie.

Like haveblue said, the completion bond is pretty much the insurance. The bond company is the one that wound up with the footage for his Don Quixote movie in Lost in La Mancha.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OK FOLKS posted:

My question is, when shooting a movie, don't the scenes with a lot of CGI get filmed first, so they can be completed while other shooting is done? Why would they have done it like that? It just seems weird that they filmed it in that order.

It takes a long time to complete the CGI scenes, so it actually makes perfect sense to film the live action sequences of those scenes first so they could be shipped off to whichever studio was doing the CGI as soon as possible so they could get to work on that.

EDIT -- Reading comprehension issues (thanks Akuma)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 30, 2009

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

The completion guarantee is sort of like "production insurance". If a movie is suddenly unable to continue filming and has to be abandoned, this is the mechanism that would trigger to handle all the lost investments.

Mostly true but there is specific insurance one gets for cast, which is a specific risk that the bond excludes. If the film is not deliverable because the specified cast or director have not fully rendered their services (eg you have a deal to France which specifies Jean Rochefort in the role of Quixote, or that Terry Giliam will be the film's director - if those elements are not in the finished film, the French distributor refuses delivery and is not obliged to pay what it has agreed to) then the production has to get what is called essential elements insurance, which covers those people deemed to be essential for various (contractual) reasons. Getting that insurance for someone like Jean Rochefort will be a lot harder and pricier than for someone young and healthy. In Lost In la Mancha, it was not the completion guarantor that ended up with the rights, but Gehrling, the insurance company which had underwritten the essential elements policy and had to pay up when Rochefort fell out of the film. That said, the bond was lucky that they weren't on the hook for that disaster.

SaintFu posted:

Gilliam can get a bond without too much hassle. Tideland, for instance, was bonded by Film Finances, and it came in on time and on budget. He can also get essential elements insurance as he is fit and healthy. How insurable the actors he casts are is dependent on the actor in question.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

It takes a long time to complete the CGI scenes, so it actually makes perfect sense to film the live action sequences of those scenes first so they could be shipped off to whichever studio was doing the CGI as soon as possible so they could get to work on that.

I'm not sure what's weird about this at all.
Because OK FOLKS is saying they did it the opposite way; shot the non-CG scenes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Akuma posted:

Because OK FOLKS is saying they did it the opposite way; shot the non-CG scenes first.

Well then that makes me quite the idiot I guess.