Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

supercooey! posted:

kitty is all :xd: irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

deviant. posted:

mine does too and i can't imagine why. it's not like the cats will gently caress up anything of theirs

This lil demon has torn up any carpet in front of any doorway that is closed. The roommates keep reinforcing this by eventually opening the door for him. It's their cat and their pet deposit I guess but god drat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well if the cat fucks something up then sure, you're liable for the cost of repairs. i'm not going to mutilate any animal to save a few dollars on very replaceable home depot special carpet (or whatever)

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
totally. I'm not for declawing at all. My roommates need to learn how positive and negative reinforcement works.

e: and requiring declawing is really loving stupid, damage caused is exactly what a pet deposit is supposed to pay for.

MindSet fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 17, 2009

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because i am a poor my main monitor is a 20" apple cinema display crt and it dissipates like 457 watts and tonight my kitty is chilling on top of it and letting her tail cover my browser window :3:

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

two of my cats came declawed. we took a stray in as our third cat who took immediately to beating the hell out of the other two as he still had claws. we had those removed to level the playing field.

really, you get spoiled constantly, fed twice daily, and i scoop your poo poo multiple times a day. fair trade for fingernails.

haters are invited to the island.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

luma posted:

really, you get spoiled constantly, fed twice daily, and i scoop your poo poo multiple times a day. fair trade for fingernails.

not fair trade for fingertips tho. gj

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

you want to pamper my rear end for the rest of my natural life, you can have my fingertips.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

because i am a poor my main monitor is a 20" apple cinema display crt and it dissipates like 457 watts and tonight my kitty is chilling on top of it and letting her tail cover my browser window :3:

take a screenshot

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
get that cat ssscat that is rippin up carpet it will be so scared of doors it won't know what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlCzIr-_0GI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0ciR_k8ck

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

can verify that ssscat works, also that it's hilarious. it's loving expensive though, like $30 a can.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

can verify that ssscat works, also that it's hilarious. it's loving expensive though, like $30 a can.

what is it exactly? looks like a spray can of that poo poo cats hate w/ a motion sensor trigger.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

what is it exactly? looks like a spray can of that poo poo cats hate w/ a motion sensor trigger.

that's it. it's just canned air with a motion sensor. replicating it with cheap canned air was the first of many of my half-completed arduino projects.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Another satisfied ssscat user. Have 2 of them to guard the kitchen counter perimeter against ninja cat assaults.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that's awesome. Will have to figure out how to rig up one on the toilet.
I wonder if you could accomplish the same with a beeper and a motion sensor.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

coconono posted:

that's awesome. Will have to figure out how to rig up one on the toilet.
I wonder if you could accomplish the same with a beeper and a motion sensor.

I'd guess no. You can scare a cat with a beeper once or twice but after a few times they realize it's all bark and no bite. The compressed air actually feels like something and makes this hissing sound so it's a good solution.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you can already discipline cats by blowing in their face yourself, this just automates it. they really hate the feeling

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

you can already discipline cats by blowing in their face yourself, this just automates it. they really hate the feeling

babies don't like it either, they'll make some really hilarious faces if you do it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i know dogs don't like it because it's actually really loud for them when you blow on their ears

maybe it's the same for cats :ohdear:

nail
Jul 15, 2005

clockwork sundial posted:

maybe it's the same for cats :ohdear:
they do have crazy sensitive hearing, i watched a pbs special all about it. i dont think a human brain could handle all the poo poo they hear

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

what's the best and most humane way to keep kittens from clawing curtains? He's already torn them down and dropped the bar on my head once, I'd like to prevent that.

hyperborean posted:

they do have crazy sensitive hearing, i watched a pbs special all about it. i dont think a human brain could handle all the poo poo they hear

if i pick up one of the jingly toys, CB will come running from the other side of the house to play with it, so cute :3:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Casao posted:

what's the best and most humane way to keep kittens from clawing curtains? He's already torn them down and dropped the bar on my head once, I'd like to prevent that.

my parents got this spray that's like cat-b-gone or something

basically you spray it on a thing and it makes them not want to touch it for some reason or another

i don't remember much about it

nail
Jul 15, 2005

basically you spray it on a thing and it makes them not want to touch it for some reason or another

you can accomplish this with hot sauce. not that you want to put hot sauce on your curtains casao. more helpful:

quote:

Plants That Are Cat Repellents
5. Some plants give off smells that cats dislike. One such plant, Coleus canina, goes by the common name, "scaredy cat plant." As the second term in the Latin name indicates (think "canine"), it is also effective if you have trouble landscaping with dogs. Other plants often recommended for keeping cats away from yards are:
    * rue,
    * lavender, which deer pests also dislike
    * pennyroyal
Other Substances That Double as Cat Repellents
6. Try sprinkling "stinky" substances around the problem area, including:
    * dried-blood fertilizer
    * mothballs (drop them into a can or jar, cover, and make a few holes in the cover).
    * cayenne pepper flakes (but see below)
    * ammonia
i dont mind the smell of mothballs, but youd probably rather use one of the plants. lavender is nice.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yea my parents had that too. It worked really well cause they hate the smell. Problem is didn't last long and it smelled enough that you wouldn't want to spray your furnature or something with it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

hyperborean posted:

you can accomplish this with hot sauce. not that you want to put hot sauce on your curtains casao. more helpful:
i dont mind the smell of mothballs, but youd probably rather use one of the plants. lavender is nice.

lavender sounds like the best bet, thanks i will try that tonight

here's a picture of CB figuring out the top of LCDs aren't the best place to hang out

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
you could try a ssscat mat it's this electrical mat that shocks the unsuspecting idiot

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

rotor posted:

I'd guess no. You can scare a cat with a beeper once or twice but after a few times they realize it's all bark and no bite. The compressed air actually feels like something and makes this hissing sound so it's a good solution.

The ssscat has a setting to disable the air spray. The idea that you leave it on until they figure out that the sound == evil blast of air, then disable the air (to save on refill canisters) and they wind up leaping off my counter as soon as they hear the sound.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
rotor what the gently caress is wrong with you

all that is required to use cheap canned air instead of the $30 ssssscat cans is that you rip the plastic nozzle top off the cheap canned air

there, now they're exactly the same

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
also we have a long hair that decided he didn't care about the air

so i turned the whole apparatus up-side-down

apparently he cares about having his face frozen off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graham posted:

rotor what the gently caress is wrong with you

all that is required to use cheap canned air instead of the $30 ssssscat cans is that you rip the plastic nozzle top off the cheap canned air

there, now they're exactly the same

iunno, maybe it wasn't the same brand or whatever it was a long time ago, but I remember trying to get a regular bottle of canned air on there and it wouldn't work. I could just be stupid, that's certainly always a possibility.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
yeah but making your own w/ an arduino is 10x as baller

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i've actually made some cool progress with my current engineering design project using an arduino mega, but the embedded thread seems to have drifted to page infinity and i'm far too lazy to make a decent op for a new one

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
basically i've got an array of solar panels at angles used as analog inputs, with a servo for traverse and a linear actuator (old airpax design that's a stepper motor + worm gear and lead screw) for elevation. the controller rotates in each axis toward whichever panels are reading the highest output, and it multiplexes a signal indicating the sun's angle to n slave solar cells to optimize their output. i've got a table of the sun's angular movement stored in eeprom in case of sensor washout, too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not sure if my winter project should be getting into basic stamps/arduinos/whatever or studying for a win7 MCITP cert test rigth after new year's help me yospos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sounds sweet as hell, post a thread about it. seriously, i love that poo poo.

also, substitute a sulfur detector and make it a stank detector array instead.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not sure if my winter project should be getting into basic stamps/arduinos/whatever or studying for a win7 MCITP cert test rigth after new year's help me yospos

arduino is way cooler than whatever gay poo poo an micpt or whatever is

nail
Jul 15, 2005

rotor posted:

arduino is way cooler than whatever gay poo poo an micpt or whatever is

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/108489/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-kitten-mittens-commercial

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

work wnats me to get mcitp certified or mcse certified so idk what to do because they made way too many choices for mcitp