Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm just gonna go for it, one step at a time.

I'm also excited cause I'm going home for the holidays, 3 weeks in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. My mom, who sews, assured me we'll be able to find gorgeous yarn really, really cheap in DR. I get the feeling I'm gonna have to buy a separate suitcase just for all the yarn I plan to buy.

Has anyone traveled recently? Are they letting knitting needles on the plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Hobo Camp posted:

Has anyone traveled recently? Are they letting knitting needles on the plane?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm says yes. Though if you want to take scissors they need to be less than 4 inches in length. I find it weird that you can take scissors but not the little circular thread cutter things that look like a necklace pendant.

http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-G-4C-Curved-Blade-Embroidery-Scissors/dp/B000UU4O20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258434788&sr=1-1 is a go.

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-clover-thread-cutter-pendant is a no go. :iiam:

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 17, 2009

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
How stupid is that? I could do a lot more damage with my nice sharp KnitPicks needles than I could with either scissors or the cutter thingy. Oh well, at least we can defend ourselves if a hijacker ever acts up on our plane, I guess.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

A tip I've heard is to only bring wood or plastic needles, and to put them in a pencil case with pens and stuff, that way they won't stand out on the x-ray. Also, bring needles that you're not afraid of losing.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Another tip is to have a padded, self-addressed envelope in your bag in case the agents are grouchy that day. Even if an item is on the safe to fly list, the agents are allowed to use their discretion and ban anything they want.

And yep. I'd totally be shoving my knitting needles into eye sockets during a hijack.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

ThreeFish posted:

Another tip is to have a padded, self-addressed envelope in your bag in case the agents are grouchy that day. Even if an item is on the safe to fly list, the agents are allowed to use their discretion and ban anything they want.

And yep. I'd totally be shoving my knitting needles into eye sockets during a hijack.
Not to mention garotting the hijackers with the yarn. :P

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Does anyone know of a pattern for knit dog booties? The only one I could find on Ravelry was from a book that got lovely reviews on Amazon for being geared towards tiny dogs only...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I wouldn't even really use a pattern for that...dogs don't have ankles like we do so you don't even have to turn a heel. Well, they HAVE ankles but they aren't set up the way ours are. :)

I would just cast on like you would for toe up socks, and increase until the diameter fits around the dog's foot, then knit straight for a while, then maybe decrease a little where the leg gets smaller, and probably I would switch to working flat at some point and cast on some extra stitches to make a flap. You could put velcro on it to get a good fit around the ankle. (I just made some booties for myself that work this way, only mine have buttons).

EDIT: Was it these? http://www.ravelry.com/projects/EllenOhio/doggy-mukluks-muttluks-instructions--quamut-the-go-to-how-to If not maybe these would work? :)

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 19, 2009

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Hmmm, I've never done toe up. But how hard could it be (famous last words)? :v:

Ooh I wonder about making *felted* ones now.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Longpig posted:

Hmmm, I've never done toe up. But how hard could it be (famous last words)? :v:

Ooh I wonder about making *felted* ones now.

Toe up's not hard! I say this about everything, but really. It's a touch awkward because when you start you have like four stitches on the needles and it's difficult to juggle everything. Techknitter had a post about starting from small diameters that might work though - basically you make some i-cord in waste yarn and then once you've got it going you switch to regular yarn and knit whatever you're going to knit, then you pull out the waste yarn and thread your tail through the exposed loops of regular yarn and pull it tight.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

For my toe ups I use the figure 8 cast on and it's amazingly simple. But that's if you use 2 circulars to knit in the round. And if you don't use 2 circulars to knit in the round, I suggest you try that, too! It's awesome :)

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm

Figure 8 cast on is a little bit down that page. I'm sure there are other tutorials/videos on it, though. I just have a girl hard-on for Silver's sock class :shlick:

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

But I like DPNs... :( And I generally only have 1 of each size of circs. :/

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I'm trying out intarsia for the first time, and for some reason, the stitches in the contrasting color are ending up backwards on the needle. Is this normal, or am I just doing it wrong? I'm getting really annoyed at having to fix the stitches on the needle every time I come around to the different color.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ma_NiC posted:

I'm trying out intarsia for the first time, and for some reason, the stitches in the contrasting color are ending up backwards on the needle. Is this normal, or am I just doing it wrong? I'm getting really annoyed at having to fix the stitches on the needle every time I come around to the different color.

Are you wrapping them the other way? That's the only thing I can think of. I was thinking it might make sense to accidentally wrap them the other way if you were knitting with one color in each hand but intarsia is just dropping one and picking up the other. So that's weird.

Here is the link for the 'starting from the center' idea from Techknitter : http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2009/09/knitting-from-center-belly-buttons-and.html (This is probably my favorite knitting blog).

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 19, 2009

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Longpig posted:

But I like DPNs... :( And I generally only have 1 of each size of circs. :/

More power to you! I am bad with DPNs. I only know how to do toe up the way I mentioned, though.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I'm trying to make one of these little guys;

and I'm working on the feet right now. The pattern says to three-needle bind off, but I don't know how to do that with the stitches I have. Anyone got any tips?

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Are you wrapping them the other way? That's the only thing I can think of. I was thinking it might make sense to accidentally wrap them the other way if you were knitting with one color in each hand but intarsia is just dropping one and picking up the other. So that's weird.

poo poo. That is totally what I was doing. It's really awkward handling two strands of yarn, so I guess I just got confused and was wrapping the yarn clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. Thanks.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm trying to make one of these little guys;

and I'm working on the feet right now. The pattern says to three-needle bind off, but I don't know how to do that with the stitches I have. Anyone got any tips?

I would rearrange the stitches so you have two needles with five stitches each, then do the bind-off.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

hollaback grandma posted:

I would rearrange the stitches so you have two needles with five stitches each, then do the bind-off.

..Doh.
Thanks :D I'll go try it, haha. I hope to finish my Monster Chunk by tonight, so I can post him!

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Robin Sparkles posted:

..Doh.
Thanks :D I'll go try it, haha. I hope to finish my Monster Chunk by tonight, so I can post him!

YOU BETTER. That is one adorable critter.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Okay! Done :D

So, he's not as round as I'd like, and it was my first time using DPN's, so he has some holes. And I had to sew on paper for the mouth, haha. I still think he's cute as heck though.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Toe up's not hard! I say this about everything, but really. It's a touch awkward because when you start you have like four stitches on the needles and it's difficult to juggle everything. Techknitter had a post about starting from small diameters that might work though - basically you make some i-cord in waste yarn and then once you've got it going you switch to regular yarn and knit whatever you're going to knit, then you pull out the waste yarn and thread your tail through the exposed loops of regular yarn and pull it tight.
This is the best tip I've ever heard! I always struggle with this, so thanks! :D

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Ohmygod we got the nicest yarn in yesterday. Diamond Luxury Cashmere Silk. It looks and feels just like a cloud and I couldn't stop fondling it. It's pretty affordable too given the fiber content and meterage. I got a ball to play with/make a Branching Out for my mom. If I like it enough and since it only comes in white I may try my hand at dyeing it as well, though it would be my first time and I't hate to waste a ball of this stuff.

If you find this yarn at your LYS I highly recommend giving it a squeeze!

VV
Congrats, it looks great! Casting off HP style scarves gives you one of the biggest senses of accomplishment cause it's just so drat long!

Drei fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2009

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I finally finished my Hogwarts style scarf! Well, it's blocking so the joins are on the side, and the fringe will be easy, but yeeeees! I mostly had it done last month on my trip down to SC, but it threw my pain into over drive and took me forever to get the gumption to tear myself away from the comp to finish it. And I will not be leaving weaving in the ends until the end. It was such a pain in the rear end trying to navigate with all that in the way.

Some photos uploaded to my flickr here. The only place I could set it out so I could keep an eye on it and the cat that loves to try to tear my knitting bag apart every chance he gets.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
So I JUST sat down to cast on for a christmas present for my brand new sister in law (who I haven't even met because my brother lives in Eastern Europe and I...don't) (and yeah, I know - it's already practically Thanksgiving why didn't I start a month ago?!) and...

I forgot how to cast on. Somehow. I just sat here for about fifteen minutes going "WTF!". I've been knitting six years now and probably cast on a hundred times in the last few months.

I remembered, evnentually but...man, that was weird.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

So I JUST sat down to cast on for a christmas present for my brand new sister in law (who I haven't even met because my brother lives in Eastern Europe and I...don't) (and yeah, I know - it's already practically Thanksgiving why didn't I start a month ago?!) and...

I forgot how to cast on. Somehow. I just sat here for about fifteen minutes going "WTF!". I've been knitting six years now and probably cast on a hundred times in the last few months.

I remembered, evnentually but...man, that was weird.

Haha, it happens. I forgot how to knit on straight needles for a few minutes when I started a baby cardigan. I just prefer to do as much as I can in the round and have literally not knit straight for about a year.

Also, I think this is crochet but GAWTdamn:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Twatty Seahag posted:

Haha, it happens. I forgot how to knit on straight needles for a few minutes when I started a baby cardigan. I just prefer to do as much as I can in the round and have literally not knit straight for about a year.

It's just weird, I mean...I've obviously needed to cast on for every project I've ever done. I've even done it while drunk as a skunk. Bizarre.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Also, I think this is crochet but GAWTdamn:

AUGHHH!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Woohahahahahaa, that Pikachu mask is the stuff of nightmares! :D

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Taught myself stranded knitting/how to read a chart yesterday. I had trouble learning before, I think I just needed the right pattern:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
lol ok I need to teach myself how to do that now

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ugh, I just finished Knitty's Colonnade and it came out too small. It doesn't look horrible but it sure as hell doesn't keep you warm... :mad:

Edit: Maybe you guys can help. I bought myself a sweater that's knitted, and it's got one button and button hole. I wanted to add another button hole to make it close a bit more. Any suggestions? It's polyester if it makes a difference.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 24, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Shnooks posted:

Edit: Maybe you guys can help. I bought myself a sweater that's knitted, and it's got one button and button hole. I wanted to add another button hole to make it close a bit more. Any suggestions? It's polyester if it makes a difference.

Cut it to button size, quarterize with a soldering iron?

Or you could cut the button slot and then use zig-zag stitch on a sewing machine and go round it to seal the edge. It all depends on how chunky the yarn is- stitching might not work on large yarn.

Other than that, you could wear a brooch.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

madlilnerd posted:

Cut it to button size, quarterize with a soldering iron?

Or you could cut the button slot and then use zig-zag stitch on a sewing machine and go round it to seal the edge. It all depends on how chunky the yarn is- stitching might not work on large yarn.

Other than that, you could wear a brooch.

I was thinking of the melting thing...

I like the Brooch idea, though. The yarn is pretty chunky.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.
New finished object: Tom hoodie from Jane Ellison's Queensland Collection 9 in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted.

Front:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Back:

Detail:

Modified the pattern to do the entire thing seamlessly. If I had to do it again, though, I'd turn the drop-shoulders into set-in sleeves.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
^noice hoodie, I love Brown Sheep Worsted! the model ain't bad, either :wink:

I recently finished a February Fitted Pullover!

It's the lace pattern from the February Lady Sweater, but I think the design is superior :colbert: Yarn is Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool in lime green. It's colors like these that make me glad I'm a redhead.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

It's the lace pattern from the February Lady Sweater, but I think the design is superior :colbert: Yarn is Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool in lime green. It's colors like these that make me glad I'm a redhead.

That sweater is amazing and that is the perfect shade of green (redhead here). :golf clap: I would buy the pattern from you, you should post that on ravelry.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Twatty Seahag posted:

That sweater is amazing and that is the perfect shade of green (redhead here). :golf clap: I would buy the pattern from you, you should post that on ravelry.

Ohh, it's already a pattern! I didn't mean to imply that I designed it :blush:

scarin' up a link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/february-fitted-pullover

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Oh that is amazing. Everyone adores the February Lady Sweater, but the shaping is always incredibly unflattering -- I literally haven't seen it work well on anyone. There's a reason it was originally a baby sweater :colbert:

But the lace pattern is nice, and the shaping on this one looks like it could be really flattering. I am now officially psyched about it, partly because yours is so gorgeous, hollaback grandma.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Echoing the sentiment that this is gorgeous- beautiful shape, fantastic colour.

I need some knitting motivation. I started making a jumper for my dad and almost finished the back but I'm already sick of doing it. It's heavy and cumbersome and I just can't find the motivation to stick with it even though I know it will be awesome when it's finished and he'll love it. I think part of the problem is I was stoked to be making it when it was a secret and he didn't know he'd be getting a jumper, but now he knows all the surprise has gone and I just can't be bothered.

Help knitters, heeeelp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Ooooh, I hate that. I was going to make a shawl that was a modified version of "Mom's Sophisticated Scarf" from Stitch 'N' Bitch Nation (using worsted-weight yarn and size 10 needles), but I really got sick of looking at it and I just can't bring myself to work on it anymore. I went out and bought some super-bulky yarn and some size 13's to make something that will go quicker instead. I have ADD when it comes to knitting/crocheting projects and I have to work on smaller things or else I will either go insane or give up entirely when working on larger projects. I wish I had some hints or tips to give you, but I need them myself. I do seem to do better on larger projects if I work on smaller ones simultaneously. It keeps me from getting too bored.

Also, that modified February Lady Sweater is awesome. I love the color.