Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Ok, I'll end this now but i want to say that these words really can't express how much I loving hated Jeff Jarrett on my screen all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

He screwed with Vince. His contract ran out before a PPV and he had a match as the IC champ. He held Vince up for allegedly 150,000 to do the job and then jetted to WCW where he was pushed to the top.

This is Vince's fault entirely, and from what I understand was no-where near this much money. I don't remember if any exact figure was thrown out the last time I remember this coming up in the forums, but while Jeff and the WWE may not get along, the amount of bad blood is vastly overstated.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

FishBulb posted:

(a sport where one of the biggest legends ever was killed by a urine soaked knife etc. etc.)

Can anyone elaborate on this?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is Vince's fault entirely, and from what I understand was no-where near this much money. I don't remember if any exact figure was thrown out the last time I remember this coming up in the forums, but while Jeff and the WWE may not get along, the amount of bad blood is vastly overstated.

I think it the book The Death of WCW that listed 150,000. Maybe they don't hate each other then, but I was going off of the book and the fact that the WCW DVD seems to go out of its way to bash Jarrett. And didn't Vince insult Jeff the night he bought WCW on tv?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Wojtek posted:

Supposedly the knife with which Bruiser Brody was stabbed had been dipped in urine so that if the stabbing itself didn't kill him an infection would.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Wojtek posted:

Maybe he means Bruiser Brody getting stabbed to death?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karmine posted:

Supposedly the knife with which Bruiser Brody was stabbed with had been dipped in urine so that if the stabbing itself didn't kill him an infection would.

Tony Atlas wasn't laughing that day :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No I meant this guy

He pretty much made Japanese wrestling what it is, and you can play as him in almost all the Fire Pro games!

Brody was also stabbed to death though yeah

Karmine posted:

Supposedly the knife with which Bruiser Brody was stabbed had been dipped in urine so that if the stabbing itself didn't kill him an infection would.

You've got your stories mixed up.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 19, 2009

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!

Karmine posted:

if so, then they were pretty stupid because urine is generally pretty close to sterile, almost any other substance would be more effective

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rockfish posted:

if so, then they were pretty stupid because urine is generally pretty close to sterile, almost any other substance would be more effective

Like jelly?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

FishBulb posted:

You've got your stories mixed up.

gently caress, you're right.

You know a business is sleazy when you get your stabbings mixed up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

didn't Vince insult Jeff the night he bought WCW on tv?

I think he did, but he also insulted several WCW wrestlers that he then worked with/employed. He was being "Heel Vince McMahon" the character rather than expressing his opinon as "Businessman Vince McMahon" the real person.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SiKboy posted:

I think he did, but he also insulted several WCW wrestlers that he then worked with/employed. He was being "Heel Vince McMahon" the character rather than expressing his opinon as "Businessman Vince McMahon" the real person.

Besides don't you think Vince routinely insults his wrestlers to their faces?

I imagine he does.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rockfish posted:

Urine is pretty close to sterile when it comes out of the bladder.

Not so much immediately after that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FishBulb posted:

I imagine he does.

I dont know... I think hes a dick in real life, but I just cant picture him insulting people to their faces. I think he'd be more likely to just cut someone dead and tell them to shut up than to insult them.

Its been a while, but I always thought the "insulting WCW wrestlers" thing was a way of checking crowd reaction to various names in WCW to get a better idea of what contracts to pick up/who to try pushing.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

I dont know... I think hes a dick in real life, but I just cant picture him insulting people to their faces. I think he'd be more likely to just cut someone dead and tell them to shut up than to insult them.

Reminder: This is a guy who supposedly asked one of his workers to "spic it up a bit" so at the very least we know that tact is not his strong point.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Karmine posted:

Reminder: This is a guy who supposedly asked one of his workers to "spic it up a bit" so at the very least we know that tact is not his strong point.

Who did he ask?

And Vince seems to be a dick and a saint at different times. Austin always praises him and lots of people say he will give people their jobs back over and over. Foley praised Vince non-stop in his first two books but quit as an announcer and didnt like Vince after that. So like any person, it is all viewpoint. And people will probably also base their whole opinion on their last dealing with him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Who did he ask?

Carlito.

He's also 60+ and a rich white man, so while I'm not making excuses, I'm also not surprised that he has archaic viewpoints and says things that people used to throw around without thinking years ago. My parents are younger than Vince and I'm still surprised by their odd moments of casual racism which they insist "isn't racist! We're just making observations about the unusual amount of asian people in this neighborhood!"

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

oldpainless posted:

Who did he ask?

And Vince seems to be a dick and a saint at different times. Austin always praises him and lots of people say he will give people their jobs back over and over. Foley praised Vince non-stop in his first two books but quit as an announcer and didnt like Vince after that. So like any person, it is all viewpoint. And people will probably also base their whole opinion on their last dealing with him.

I've heard that Vince treats the wrestlers good but shits on the personnel - do you think this may have led to the change in attitude Foley had for Vince?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Carlito.

He's also 60+ and a rich white man, so while I'm not making excuses, I'm also not surprised that he has archaic viewpoints and says things that people used to throw around without thinking years ago. My parents are younger than Vince and I'm still surprised by their odd moments of casual racism which they insist "isn't racist! We're just making observations about the unusual amount of asian people in this neighborhood!"

Well, do they talk in a derogatory or hateful manner? If not, i'm not sure it can be called racism. Not politically correct, sure, but without intentional malice I've heard in classrooms that the remarks are not actually racist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Well, do they talk in a derogatory or hateful manner? If not, i'm not sure it can be called racism. Not politically correct, sure, but without intentional malice I've heard in classrooms that the remarks are not actually racist.

It's just a little troubling to hear my parents talking about the number of asians in an area with the implication that this is something to be worried about. My parents are fine people, they were opposed to apartheid and mock and deride open racists, but they grew up in an entirely different time to me and things they think are fine to say are not the same for me.

Same with Vince, he probably sees absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone if they can "spic" it up.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 19, 2009

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

It's just a little troubling to hear my parents talking about the number of asians in an area with the implication that this is something to be worried about. My parents are fine people, they were opposed to apartheid and mock and deride open racists, but they grew up in an entirely different time to me and things they think are fine to say are not the same for me.

Its just confusing because Asians are so well behaved!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Its just confusing because Asians are so well behaved!

Until they Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift all over my azaleas!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Same with Vince, he probably sees absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone if they can "spic" it up.

Show them Jimmy Wang Yang. He's the best of both Asian and Anglo worlds!!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

FishBulb posted:

I imagine he does.

Vince is one of the most confrontational people on planet Earth, so yeah, I could see this happening.

oldpainless posted:

So who are the most hated wrestlers?

Not very many people like Kevin Nash, and a lot of old school guys really hate Terry Taylor for some reason.

Raven has a pretty bad reputation in the business too, probably because he wavered between being a miserable junkie and an obnoxious goof for most of his career.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Burrito posted:

Until they Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift all over my azaleas!

So you're basically Kerwin White?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

SiKboy posted:

They bury the poo poo out of Jarrett on the Horsemen DVD and the RIse & Fall of WCW DVD. The Horsemen one was hosed though because Flair and AA bury Jarrett but put Mongo over as a "real Horseman" :downs:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

They bury the poo poo out of Jarrett on the Horsemen DVD and the RIse & Fall of WCW DVD. The Horsemen one was hosed though because Flair and AA bury Jarrett but put Mongo over as a "real Horseman" :downs:

Didn't Flair like Mongo because he "lived the lifestyle"?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Flair like Mongo because he "lived the lifestyle"?

Yeah, Flair thinks Mongo was an awesome Horseman because he acted, lived and partied like one. And considering he was in a stable with Benoit, Flair and Malenko, he could suck in the ring and who really cared? Some smarks.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah, Flair thinks Mongo was an awesome Horseman because he acted, lived and partied like one. And considering he was in a stable with Benoit, Flair and Malenko, he could suck in the ring and who really cared? Some smarks.
But with WCW being WCW Mongo was booked in a shitload of singles matches which stunk up arenas all over the place. Also Mongo is still the worst commentator ever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mongo hosed Debra for several years.

Jarrett looked like an early 90's female soap opera star.

Mongo wins.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The whole "Jarrett holding Vince up" was because Jarrett was leaving, and he wanted his PPV payoff after that night, instead of six months later when everybody else would receive theirs.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Davros1 posted:

The whole "Jarrett holding Vince up" was because Jarrett was leaving, and he wanted his PPV payoff after that night, instead of six months later when everybody else would receive theirs.

Didn't he make Vince give him $150,000 just for that night, though? Or was that the normal PPV payoff in those days?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

I think it's safe to say that most of us hated it; Hogan's reign was symptomatic of WCW's good undercard/lovely main event problem, not to mention the backstage pull Hogan had and freely abused.
It was OUTSTANDING for heel heat. People hated Hogan and they wanted to see him lose the belt. They also didn't tune out in droves as people have since during HHH and JBL's reigns of terror.

It worked AND people hated it.

BigRed0427 posted:

I did hear about how he was advertised for an indy show in canada, his secduled oppenet could not go on for some reason so Storm just decided to go home without wrestling.
This sounds nothing like Lance. Where'd you hear it?

Jagtpanther posted:

I dunno, I know I asked why Austin hated Hogan - but to me this is coming entirely from a dirt sheet writer. I mean, we poo-poo "CM PUNK DOGHOUSE!" crap, but we take whatever dirt sheet writers say that anonymous insiders say from the late 90's because it's been repeated so many times it's gospel.
And anything negative about WCW or TNA.

oldpainless posted:

I think it the book The Death of WCW that listed 150,000.
Did RJ Reynolds call Vince McMahon and ask him, then? Don't believe everything you read. The story most people tell is that Jarrett didn't want any ties with the company. The money he made that night was money he was owed by WWE and just wanted it in a lump sum.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

This sounds nothing like Lance. Where'd you hear it?

I've read this same thing but I can't recall where for the life of me. It may have been in that Stampede Wrestling book but I really don't remember.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I've read this same thing but I can't recall where for the life of me. It may have been in that Stampede Wrestling book but I really don't remember.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/030308.html

straight from the horses mouth.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

http://www.stormwrestling.com/030308.html

straight from the horses mouth.

This isn't where I read it, but I'm fairly certain after reading this that it was mentioned in the Stampede Wrestling book.

mode
Jul 13, 2003

Scratch
How come in the WWE discussion threads, where it shows TV ratings, Smackdown always has question marks instead of a number?

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

mode posted:

How come in the WWE discussion threads, where it shows TV ratings, Smackdown always has question marks instead of a number?

Since MNTV is no longer a network, I believe the ratings are lumped into the syndication numbers that come out a week or two late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The most recent Smackdown rating to come out was a 2.1 if anyone is wondering.