Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Throatwarbler posted:

if you are willing to drive a 5 year old car 5 years from now, why aren't you willing to drive a 5 year old car RIGHT NOW?

I drive a 12-year old car right now :(

Thanks for the layout on the benefits of leasing though. There are aspects there I didn't realize. Also, if you are a business you can depreciate the asset on the lease over the years and somehow that helps you in a way I don't loving understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

trouser chili posted:

Also, if you are a business you can depreciate the asset on the lease over the years

No. You can only apply depreciation calculations to assets you own. If you lease then you only have a recurring expense every month.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

trouser chili posted:

Thanks for the layout on the benefits of leasing though. There are aspects there I didn't realize. Also, if you are a business you can depreciate the asset on the lease over the years and somehow that helps you in a way I don't loving understand.

It Accounting Magic. If you want an asset on your books that you can depreciate, you buy. If you want the use of something that you want to count as an expense (and theortically lower your tax burden) you lease.

Throatwarbler, what you are wrong about is assuming a lease is the best option in every case, and that's simply not true. It depends heavily on what your values and financial goals are.

Anyway, derail over.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 20, 2009

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

trouser chili posted:

You lease because then you expense the lease and can use it to lower your taxable income.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ah, ok thanks guys. I'm pretty much on the buying side of the house here. The accountants tell me when I should lease and when I should buy. I tried to understand and got it wrong.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I certainly did not intend to kick off a page-and-a-half debate on the merits of leasing versus purchasing a car. I think most of us can agree that barring some unusual circumstance, paying 485$ a month for a Scion is fairly exorbitant no matter the financial arrangement.

Here is some actual Craigslist gold:
http://ocala.craigslist.org/ctd/1474342208.html

1958 Mercedes-Benz 220SE 220 SE PONTON Convertible - $149000

Cpaka fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Oh man, I thought that thing was actually in Ocala. Too bad it's all the way over in Pompano Beach, I would have gone to ogle it.

You would think there are better places to advertise an immaculate 50 year old Benz than the lowly craigslist.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cpaka posted:

Why would someone try and sell a vintage car like that on Craigslist? :psyduck:

Edit: on review, what ^^^ said.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Not a car, but wow. Who buys into this crap?

Click here for the full 1034x514 image.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ElehemEare posted:

The same people that buy juice that they think makes their dick bigger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cpaka posted:

Holy poo poo.

I certainly did not intend to kick off a page-and-a-half debate on the merits of leasing versus purchasing a car. I think most of us can agree that barring some unusual circumstance, paying 485$ a month for a Scion is fairly exorbitant no matter the financial arrangement.

I know nothing about that car but I think it is gorgeous.

ElehemEare posted:

The same people that buy slick 50 and other snake oil in-a-can.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cpaka posted:

Cars like this are the only reason I wish I lived in the States instead of Canada.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ElehemEare posted:

The same people who buy into that "power your car with electrolyzed hydrogen" nonsense, or try and organize one-day gas boycotts.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

el topo posted:

The same people who buy into that "power your car with electrolyzed hydrogen" nonsense, or try and organize one-day gas boycotts.

But it said in the email fwd that we could STICK IT TO THE MAN

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

ab0z posted:

Here I'll trade some guns without proper papers for your car without proper papers.

"And then let's rob a bank!"

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
This seems a little sus to me. Does this seem sus to you?

1991 BMW 750il V-12 - $500 (reno)

This is the final price no deals

Engine in great condition
I have the whole car, but no title. Lost keys, but the car does run
you would have to file for lost title and find out who last owners were
This car is for someone who has the time and money to put into it or has the same car and can use as parts.

105,000 miles on it.

And just to annoy someone who thinks they might have been able to rehab it:

86' BMW 325es For Sale ASAP-CHEAP!!! - $400

Must get rid of my car ASAP!!!!! 1986' BMW 325es 2door, power windows, and sunroof, white. Ill be having it towed in for parts by noon on Sat....it DOES run and its a good car that has been in my family only. It DOES need work: hose's and suspension work is needed as well as some small cosmetic repair to crack in windshield and interior. Please if seriously interested call me first thing in the morning!! By noon ill just have the car picked up and delt with that way. ITs a good deal for someone just needing a car, and a fixer-uper!!! Please call first thing in the morning if interested!!

Angela 775)770-1198

Any Reno goons, you've still got about three hours!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What's the best way to monitor multiple craigslists for good deals and get immediately alerted with an email or text message? I'm finding google reader just doesn't update RSS feeds quick enough, and manually hitting something like searchtempest.com is getting old. I've lost out on a couple deals by being an hour too late. :(

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ElehemEare posted:

I'd love to know how it "creates a ceramic coating" on the inside of the engine but doesn't fuse the pistons right to the cylinder walls. There's not exactly a lot of free space there.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

orange lime posted:

I'd love to know how it "creates a ceramic coating" on the inside of the engine but doesn't fuse the pistons right to the cylinder walls. There's not exactly a lot of free space there.

Shut up it's guaranteed to probably give you some benefits.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
This just.. I don't know.

98 Ford Taurus - $3000 (sparks)

Craigslist posted:

This is a 2wd AUTOMATIC 4door car! ive had the car since april 09 but sadly i need to go back to Mexico....
The Car runs Great in the snow, raining or for the long trips to reno,SF etc! The drivers window dosn´t work but is minor , the other three windows work perfectly!
Car is SMOGED,LISCENSED,has A/C, Heater, POWER STEERING, POWER WINDOWS, INTERIOR GREY, EXTERIOR GREY , the sterio doesn´t change station but its something that can be fix... the interior of the car is in great conditions no stains at all in the seats....

BIG DEAL DONT WAIT AND GIVE ME A CALL,CAR WONT BE HERE LONG! CONTACT!!!! obo!!!

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ssh posted:

This just.. I don't know.

98 Ford Taurus - $3000 (sparks)

It's a little steep, but I don't see what's wrong with it other than the average Craigslist IQ failures. Is there something else to be worried about besides the broken window and stereo?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

orange lime posted:

It's a little steep, but I don't see what's wrong with it other than the average Craigslist IQ failures. Is there something else to be worried about besides the broken window and stereo?

Reread it; it's not as much a thing of atrocity as it is a thing of beauty. Completely braindead beauty.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
1996 Dodge Caravan $1,500 or Make offer. (Las Vegas, NV)

quote:

I'm selling a 1996 Dodge Minivan with about 125 K Miles, Everything works great including A/C and Heater.
I'm only selling because I need a 3.7L V6 Vortech Engine with the 8th Digit "K". I would not be selling this vehicle only because I need the described engine for a 2004 Durango.

If you can get the engine for me I am willing to trade the Dodge Minivan for it.

Call me: [number removed].

I also install and replace broken windshields, windows, & side glass or back glass. Any auto glass products that you might need. I will provide it new with a lifetime warranty on Labor and Factory defects.

Call me if you have a car that needs a replacement on windshield or any glass.

Need a set of tires? rim? Come and get them at 4440 E. Tropicana & 95 FWY.
The real gold is the pictures they attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Left Ventricle posted:

1996 Dodge Caravan $1,500 or Make offer. (Las Vegas, NV)

The real gold is the pictures they attached.

Normally I'd be like "eh just his girlfriend washing the car" but that seems to be a completely different car. Not to mention neither of those are the minivan. And those are the shittiest-looking scissor doors I've ever seen. Why don't people understand that scissors only work when the doors are long and skinny, like on a real Lamborghini?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

orange lime posted:

Normally I'd be like "eh just his girlfriend washing the car" but that seems to be a completely different car. Not to mention neither of those are the minivan. And those are the shittiest-looking scissor doors I've ever seen. Why don't people understand that scissors only work when the doors are long and skinny, like on a real Lamborghini?
That's the point—he's selling his Caravan to get an engine for his Durango (which, by the way, is not a "Vortech", it's a Magnum), and the pictures are of his girlfriend or some random ho he looked up online (must be, since even Las Vegas gets cold and it'd be dumb to hand wash a car wearing that during the winter) and his lambo'd and dubbed Tahoe. Yeah, you really seem like you need money for an engine, dog. Sell the wheels.

vvvvvv exactly.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 24, 2009

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
TL;DR: I want to sell my Dodge minivan so I can buy a GM engine to put into my Dodge truck so here are some pictures of a GM truck with rimz and lambo doors together with an unrelated picture of a scantily clad woman and a completely different vehicle.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
How does this person remember to breathe?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/1479555669.html

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
I just found my mother's old car on craigslist (It's custom enough to tell). :haw:

They cracked the block and now they're selling it for parts. :smith:

RIP, Altima.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

TheFonz posted:

How does this person remember to breathe?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/1479555669.html

He makes up more words than Walt Whitman!
:eng101:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1474852699.html

Car near perfect, check out these accessories that total more than the asking price, NO PICTURES.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1474852699.html

Car near perfect, check out these accessories that total more than the asking price, NO PICTURES.

HA HA HA HA HA.

I'd buy it with cash on the spot if that were in the slightest bit plausible, and I don't even like BMWs. A 2002 sure is nice though.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Dammit dammit dammit I don't have any money.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1475930312.html

quote:

I hate to sell this car, as it's a great, rare piece of Swedish automotive history, but I don't have the time or the health to get it where it needs to be. The 242 is the "sporty" version of the original turbo brick, and this car is really advanced for a nearly 30 year old car.

It has a very straight body, with no rust on the underbody. These cars typically suffer from "cancer" all over the under side, and especially on the rear fenders. This car has none of that. It was running until I pulled the stock seized turbo off to swap it for a replacement TD05-12B turbo. The transmission (an M46 manual 4-speed with electronic overdrive) shifted fine, the clutch was in good shape, and the car handles like nothing else. Something about a turbocharged Rear Wheel Drive car with a basic suspension makes it a lot of fun to go around corners. I have the replacement turbo mounted on the manifold ready to go into the car. I also have the stock manifold that will go with the car. Additionally, I have an intercooler out of a 740 Turbo that will be sold with the car, so if you want to intercool the car and run 14psi, you'll have the biggest piece of the puzzle already.

The wheels (Virgos) are in excellent condition, tires are at about 80% remaining life. Tread looks good and no dry rotting. The interior is not great, but not torn up. One big crack in the dash, and the front seats are not good, but are covered and work fine. The rear seat of the car is in great shape. All lights work, sunroof does not currently work for me. The current head unit is not working, but I have a replacement MP3 head unit that I will sell with the car.

I'd really like to see this car go to someone who appreciates older Volvos. I'm a Swedish car fan (we also have a Saab SPG and a Volvo XC70) and know the blast that these cars can be.

If you'd like to see the car, please call 615.852.5275. You can also text that number if you'd like. If you're looking to scam, look elsewhere. Unless you're a collector and can prove it, don't even bother contacting me if you're not local.

Price is relatively firm, as I know the condition of the car. Thanks for looking, and I hope this car will give someone the joy it gave me.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Click here for the full 1024x1280 image.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Eh, could be worse...nice to see some honesty in Craigslist ads for once ("only seen off road once").

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Forum Hussy posted:

Dammit dammit dammit I don't have any money.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1475930312.html

Augh gently caress why would you post this? I have the money and this is a car I've been looking for. How far is Nashville from DC anyway?

Too far, that's how far! I hate you. :sigh:

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
OK, can we pool up $12,500 and buy this as the communal AI tow-truck please?

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Augh gently caress why would you post this? I have the money and this is a car I've been looking for. How far is Nashville from DC anyway?

Too far, that's how far! I hate you. :sigh:

Too far? what kind of cop-out is that? Mate I think you're in the wrong forum.

fake edit: go here -> https://www.automotive-sanity.com

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

sacre posted:

In his defense, that car was probably sold before he and I could have gotten halfway there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sacre posted:

fake edit: go here -> https://www.automotive-sanity.com

:science:
When I buy a car it's assumed I'm going to need X tools per mile to get it home. Age, mileage, manufacturer, and condition are all unfortunate multipliers.
When (X[A+Mi+Ma+C]* miles) would be an amount of tools over the weight or volume capacity of my main vehicle, the purchase car is then considered to be "out of range".

man, I need a loving trailer

then it would totally be ([X{A+Mi+Ma+C}* miles]/2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
Well when you put it like that I think you have a point; I can only agree.