Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Could someone give me a rundown of what happened to Lance Storm? Like, I vaguely remember the guy in WCW, and looking back he was a good technical wrestler, but I'd assume he was working somewhere today, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Could someone give me a rundown of what happened to Lance Storm? Like, I vaguely remember the guy in WCW, and looking back he was a good technical wrestler, but I'd assume he was working somewhere today, no?

After the WCW buyout, he became a regular in WWF for about 4 years, mainly in the midcard kind of floating around, still putting out good to great matches. He ended up retiring as a full time wrestler at the first ECW One Night Stand, but still did the occasional indy date here and there, most notably of which was his latest stint in ROH at Death Before Dishonor weekend. He's a regular guest on Bryan Alvarez's podcast Figure Four Daily, and posts commentaries every so often on his own website. He's a pretty insightful/witty dude who has a great mind for the business, so I suggest reading some of his articles.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 20, 2009

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LividLiquid posted:

Did RJ Reynolds call Vince McMahon and ask him, then? Don't believe everything you read. The story most people tell is that Jarrett didn't want any ties with the company. The money he made that night was money he was owed by WWE and just wanted it in a lump sum.

Who is most people? Don't shoot down the source I based it off of, even if wrong, and then use "most people" to back up your claim.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

oldpainless posted:

Who is most people? Don't shoot down the source I based it off of, even if wrong, and then use "most people" to back up your claim.
This was mentioned in Death of WCW, which was co-written by Bryan Alvarez, which gives the claim a bit of weight and would also partially explain why WWE takes great pleasure in burying Jarrett.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
From Storm's website:

Q: Do you ever wish you could have wrestled a Best-Of-5 series against Steve "Mongo" McMichael, with the 5th match of the series being an Iron Man match? How would you have prepared for such an opponent?

A: I’d have probably just quit the business.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

dusty udder smoker posted:

After the WCW buyout, he became a regular in WWF for about 4 years, mainly in the midcard kind of floating around, still putting out good to great matches.

For "good-to-great" read "heatless, idetentical-to-anonymous-New-Japan-rookie-".

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
Can anyone tell me if/where I can buy the shirt Hulk Hogan was shown wearing during the Impact videos? The shirt where it is his sunglasses and mustache scribbled on a black shirt.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Theshby posted:

For "good-to-great" read "heatless, identical-to-anonymous-New-Japan-rookie."

Lance Storm is a pretty easy guy to book, provided you don't shoehorn every midcarder into a comedy gimmick the way WWE does. His UnAmericans phase got heat, as did the initial phase of his "Boring" gimmick, but then the writers had no idea what his strengths were and he floundered.

Not saying he would have been World champion or anything, but he was certainly a step above guys like Lance Cade and Big Daddy V.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

The most recent Smackdown rating to come out was a 2.1 if anyone is wondering.

I have to wonder if WWE is thinking of taking SmackDown somewhere else when their deal with MyNetwork is up. From what I hear, SmackDown can be tough to find in some markets. Problem is, I don't see who else would take it, aside from WGN, which gets even less clearance.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

TL posted:

I have to wonder if WWE is thinking of taking SmackDown somewhere else when their deal with MyNetwork is up. From what I hear, SmackDown can be tough to find in some markets. Problem is, I don't see who else would take it, aside from WGN, which gets even less clearance.

Smackdown would probably be an improvement over many of NBC's ratings :haw:

(But seriously, I'd say Smackdown would probably end up on USA or something.)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

CombineThresher posted:

Lance Storm is a pretty easy guy to book, provided you don't shoehorn every midcarder into a comedy gimmick the way WWE does. His UnAmericans phase got heat, as did the initial phase of his "Boring" gimmick, but then the writers had no idea what his strengths were and he floundered.

Not saying he would have been World champion or anything, but he was certainly a step above guys like Lance Cade and Big Daddy V.

That weren't a drat gimmick

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

The UnAmericans were going to be booked stronger, but two things derailed them. At MSG they were going to (not) burn the American flag and due to the parking situation they'd have to leave the arena surrounded by the public, so a guy backstage offered to pull their cars up to the building instead. They said sure as this would save them a lot of time as the garages were a pain, but when word got out, and the angle failed to get heat they got a reputation of being afraid to get heat.

And around the same time Evolution started coming together and the heel stable of mostly mid carders lost the interest of the bookers.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

The UnAmericans were going to be booked stronger, but two things derailed them. At MSG they were going to (not) burn the American flag and due to the parking situation they'd have to leave the arena surrounded by the public, so a guy backstage offered to pull their cars up to the building instead. They said sure as this would save them a lot of time as the garages were a pain, but when word got out, and the angle failed to get heat they got a reputation of being afraid to get heat.

And around the same time Evolution started coming together and the heel stable of mostly mid carders lost the interest of the bookers.

A couple other things hosed up the UnAmericans booking. Vince wanted Test and Christian to get short haircuts (both had long hair at the time) and they bitched about it, so the writers were less interested in pushing two guys who weren't committed. Also, Lance and Jericho wanted Jericho to join them and change the name to C4, since they were four Canadians and they would do the 4 Horsemen gimmick. They were told "no" and then the gimmick was turned into Evolution.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

They bury the poo poo out of Jarrett on the Horsemen DVD and the RIse & Fall of WCW DVD. The Horsemen one was hosed though because Flair and AA bury Jarrett but put Mongo over as a "real Horseman" :downs:

New question: who's more lovely: Jarrett or Mongo?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ColeM posted:

New question: who's more lovely: Jarrett or Mongo?

Mongo produced 10 million shittiness units for a couple years.
Jeff Jarret has been producing 9 million shittiness units for over a decade.

Jarret wins.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lance Storm took wrestling too seriously. He was an amazing technician, but at some point, you've gotta have fun with it. He just seemed very business oriented 100000% of the time and you're never going to draw interest like that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lance Storm took wrestling too seriously. He was an amazing technician, but at some point, you've gotta have fun with it. He just seemed very business oriented 100000% of the time and you're never going to draw interest like that.

Did lance storm ever wrestle any comedy matches?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TL posted:

I don't think MyNetworkTV is going to exist by the time the WWE deal is up.

I'm pretty sure I've read before that Vince likes being able to boast that WWE has a scheduled presence on both cable and broadcast television, so I doubt we'll see SmackDown moved to USA. WGN America is not the most preferable option due to its smaller market penetration, but it might be the most practical. Heck, a lot of people were suggesting, after Superstars was announced, that WWE did the Superstars deal to secure a timeslot for SmackDown as a contingency plan in case MyNetwork went tits-up.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Timby posted:

I'd love it if FOX did want to jump in and take Smackdown. They were always rumored to watch wrestling back in the early 00s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

His catch phrase was "If I can be serious for a moment." You don't think he was having fun with it? In the end, Lance was a family man who didn't drink or do drugs, so he wasn't a big time party animal. I've seen him be an energetic babyface, but he's much more interesting as a cold and calculating heel, since it plays more naturally.

But in the end, he's a smaller guy who doesn't do drugs to make himself larger, and doesn't have a wacky personality to begin with. He knew he was never going to be a top guy, and was OK with it.

And he still found time to goof off on spot shows or house shows. He just didn't do it on TV since that is unprofessional.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Lance Storm was just another in a long line of bland but technically-proficient understized Canadians that have no charisma and can't cut a promo or sell an angle to save their mid card careers. Nothing against the guy but I don't even see anyone trying the 'HE WAS BURIED' defense, and that says something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Lance Storm was just another in a long line of bland but technically-proficient understized Canadians that have no charisma and can't cut a promo or sell an angle to save their mid card careers. Nothing against the guy but I don't even see anyone trying the 'HE WAS BURIED' defense, and that says something.

because he didn't care about becoming a main eventer. he was perfectly happy to just wrestle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Claiming Lance can't sell an angle is bullshit. The rest is pretty true.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

His catch phrase was "If I can be serious for a moment." You don't think he was having fun with it? In the end, Lance was a family man who didn't drink or do drugs, so he wasn't a big time party animal. I've seen him be an energetic babyface, but he's much more interesting as a cold and calculating heel, since it plays more naturally.

But in the end, he's a smaller guy who doesn't do drugs to make himself larger, and doesn't have a wacky personality to begin with. He knew he was never going to be a top guy, and was OK with it.

And he still found time to goof off on spot shows or house shows. He just didn't do it on TV since that is unprofessional.
The booking of Lance Storm was one of the few things WCW got right post nWo. His promos were monotonous (sp?) but worked with his "serious wrestler" gimmick combined with an anti-USA stable and he got major heat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

because he didn't care about becoming a main eventer. he was perfectly happy to just wrestle.

Right. Lance is perfect for the Tito Santana role - a guy who gets booked to have good, solid matches in the midcard and job to guys getting ready for a main event push. If you put him in simple, competitive feuds, he did fine.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read before that Vince likes being able to boast that WWE has a scheduled presence on both cable and broadcast television, so I doubt we'll see SmackDown moved to USA. WGN America is not the most preferable option due to its smaller market penetration, but it might be the most practical. Heck, a lot of people were suggesting, after Superstars was announced, that WWE did the Superstars deal to secure a timeslot for SmackDown as a contingency plan in case MyNetwork went tits-up.

If MyNetwork went tits-up, that would leave a good amount of local stations without prime-time affiliation and in the programming marketplace, which could push the WWE back into the syndication business, like they were in the 80s with Superstars. Doubtful as the syndie business is a mess, but possible.

Yeah, I'd say the broadcast connection means the WWE will take broadcast anything over getting pushed over to cable with their product. But, in about five years, broadcast television probably won't mean anything anymore, so Smackdown! could become the WWE Channel original programming flagship. Who knows?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Am I wrong in thinking that Jarrett was okay as an upper mid-card heel during his first WCW and second WWF run or were they lovely but compared to his second WCW run and TNA they seem down right decent in comparison ?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chunky Delight posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Jarrett was okay as an upper mid-card heel during his first WCW and second WWF run or were they lovely but compared to his second WCW run and TNA they seem down right decent in comparison ?

Jarrett certainly could be OK-to-good at times. But he could also get stale very quickly. Given how he was perfectly content to coast on minimum effort when the opportunity presented itself, that was a problem.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Chunky Delight posted:

In his WWF run, he made one of his signature moves the single arm DDT, which is probably the worst possible move to pick when you've got two other much better guys doing the exact same move, but calling it the Rock Bottom and Book End, but in their moves the OTHER guy gets hurt.

It takes a special kind of shittiness to make three matches of a night, two of which Jarrett isn't even in, worse with one move.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brickhouse Betty posted:

In his WWF run, he made one of his signature moves the single arm DDT, which is probably the worst possible move to pick when you've got two other much better guys doing the exact same move, but calling it the Rock Bottom and Book End, but in their moves the OTHER guy gets hurt.

It takes a special kind of shittiness to make three matches of a night, two of which Jarrett isn't even in, worse with one move.

the rock bottom/bookend look nothing like receiving a ddt :confused:

mode
Jul 13, 2003

Scratch

Gar posted:

Can anyone tell me if/where I can buy the shirt Hulk Hogan was shown wearing during the Impact videos? The shirt where it is his sunglasses and mustache scribbled on a black shirt.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but I did just come across it so I figured I would share:

http://hirsutehistory.com/design/hulk_hogan/

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

the rock bottom/bookend look nothing like receiving a ddt :confused:

A regular DDT, no. But here's a lovely 2 minute MSPaint of the single arm DDT, the red guy is Jarrett and the black guy is the victim. The faces indicate that the victim is facing us, and Jarrett facing away.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brickhouse Betty posted:

A regular DDT, no. But here's a lovely 2 minute MSPaint of the single arm DDT, the red guy is Jarrett and the black guy is the victim. The faces indicate that the victim is facing us, and Jarrett facing away.

Yeah, but the single arm DDT looks nothing like a Rock Bottom other than the set up, kind of.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
I dunno, maybe my drawing is terrible, maybe I'm remembering it wrong, maybe you're talking about good people doing good single arm DDTs. But I swear Jarrett's version looked about 90% like him Rock Bottoming himself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brickhouse Betty posted:

I dunno, maybe my drawing is terrible, maybe I'm remembering it wrong, maybe you're talking about good people doing good single arm DDTs. But I swear Jarrett's version looked about 90% like him Rock Bottoming himself.

Whoops, I understand what you mean now. I think the lovely moves of today like Matt Morgan's Hellavator (AKA "I am going to DDT myself") make a move where the deliverer ends up on his back and his opponent goes chest first seem really legit. I just couldn't see how you thought Jarrett was getting hurt since he was landing on his back.

But yeah, I've also seen a lot of ROH guys do it, especially doing a tornado version where it looks way different from a Rock Bottom to yourself, and looks like your opponent takes the impact.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Brickhouse Betty posted:

this is why i hate shelton's finisher. i never minded the single arm ddt much.

MassRayPer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdP9RHuK84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO9alCFEsj8

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Did lance storm ever wrestle any comedy matches?

I swear he danced once, perhaps with Too Cool or something. I swear he did something goofy at some point. Not sure about matches though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I remember an old Lance Storm promo he cut on Chris Candido and Tammy Sytch during their mixed tag feud back in ECW that I thought was pretty hilarious at the time though it would NOT fly in WWE.

He did the ring announcements, introducing Candido along the lines of "Hailing from New Jersey, weighing at a steroid-enhanced 225 pounds.... Chris Candido!" For Sytch, he did "Hailing from the men's locker rooms, Tammy Lynn Sytch!" The intro got some pretty big heat from the crowd.

So there, he could cut a solid promo while in ECW. :colbert:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

CM Punk

Lance Storm

Similarities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Have they ever explained the kayfabe reason why wrestlers get certain music? Like "Hogan felt this music explained him perfectly" or something much better written.