Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Doc Spratley posted:

hey all,

I've been looking at picking up an xj or zj and have been doing some mpg research.

Many owners seem to indicate that the 6 gets the same mpg numbers in both the xj and zj. I also keep reading posts that indicate the 5.2l will get essentially the same numbers as the 4l in the zj.

If that is the case, I would probably lean towards the 8 if I went for a zj, just wanted to know if anyone else has first hand experience with mpg numbers on xj6 vs zj6 and 4l vs 5.2l zjs?

I don't have numbers but I had a '94 GC with a 4.0(Command-Trac 2wd/4wd) in college and my roomate had a '94 GC with the 5.2 (full-time 4wd). I got about 2mpg better than him. Also the 4.0 is generally regarded as a better quality engine. I'd get 15-20 with the GC and get the same in my XJ. I have no idea how this carries over to a ZJ.

If gas mileage is that important to you though, you might be buying the wrong vehicle. They both are really going to eat gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The '96+ ZJ's also tacked on about 350+ lbs of curb weight over the '93-'95 models, which are in turn a few hundred lbs more than an XJ. When I bought my XJ used it got 13-14 MPG but after redoing the entire exhaust and replacing all of the sensors and electrical, I'm getting around 21-23 MPG.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The 5.2 litre is a Chrysler design. This is why you should stick with the 4.0. It also has a non-Chrysler transmission which is also a huge bonus.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Doc Spratley posted:

If that is the case, I would probably lean towards the 8 if I went for a zj, just wanted to know if anyone else has first hand experience with mpg numbers on xj6 vs zj6 and 4l vs 5.2l zjs?
Several 4.0 XJs ('96-'01 models) and a '98 4.0 ZJ always result in the ZJ getting better mileage under similar conditions. It has probably averaged 21MPG over the past 200k miles (as good as 26 on the highway) with the XJs doing a drat good job to hit 19MPG going 60MPH unladen. The ZJ's aerodynamics certainly come into play on the highway, but the trans probably makes the advantage around town.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

jonathan posted:

The 5.2 litre is a Chrysler design. This is why you should stick with the 4.0. It also has a non-Chrysler transmission which is also a huge bonus.

Most of the '93s and all the rest of the Grand Cherokee 4.0s have a Chrysler tranny. And it's a shittier one than the 5.2 got.

Edit: And speaking as someone who owned an AW4 Grand Cherokee, buying one now is a horrible idea.

None of the third-party data sources acknowledge they exist, which means every mechanic or parts store you go to and every service manual you read will try to do something wrong. And because Chrysler swapped it out so quickly, parts availability for anything specific to the AW4s (which is a fair amount) is pretty much nil now. Some parts can be borrowed from a '92 XJ, but a lot of parts can't, and you end up boned.

4.0, 5.2, any year... just avoid the ones with 1-2 on the gearshift and no overdrive button. The Chrysler transmissions aren't that horrible if they've been treated well and you treat them well.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 27, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've noticed my 99 Grand Cherokee doing an odd thing lately. When accelerating and it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it kind of ... studders. It's like it shifts to 2nd then back into 1st for a half second then back into 2nd. It doesn't do it with any kind of regularity - maybe every couple days randomly - but it could be when I'm not accelerating very fast.

Am I just being too easy on the gas, or is something starting to slip? I changed the tranny fluid about a month and a half ago and I re-checked the the level and it's fine.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Doctor Zero posted:

I've noticed my 99 Grand Cherokee doing an odd thing lately. When accelerating and it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it kind of ... studders. It's like it shifts to 2nd then back into 1st for a half second then back into 2nd. It doesn't do it with any kind of regularity - maybe every couple days randomly - but it could be when I'm not accelerating very fast.

Am I just being too easy on the gas, or is something starting to slip? I changed the tranny fluid about a month and a half ago and I re-checked the the level and it's fine.

How many miles on it, and how often was the tranny fluid changed before that?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

fordham posted:

How many miles on it, and how often was the tranny fluid changed before that?

180k, and I don't know, since I just bought it a few months ago. It seems fairly well kept, but I wouldn't make any bets on proper maintenance schedules.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Doctor Zero posted:

180k, and I don't know, since I just bought it a few months ago. It seems fairly well kept, but I wouldn't make any bets on proper maintenance schedules.

180k isn't bad out of a Chrysler tranny if it wasn't properly maintained. Did you change the fluid yourself? How did it look coming out?

Once you get past a certain point of not changing the fluid, it's generally recommend to just never change it, since half the transmission comes out in the fluid at that point. Also the new fluid has fresh detergent and cleans out all the poo poo that was holding everything together.

You could be in some trouble :smith:. The other guys in this thread could probably give better advice on how to proceed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

fordham posted:

180k isn't bad out of a Chrysler tranny if it wasn't properly maintained. Did you change the fluid yourself? How did it look coming out?

Once you get past a certain point of not changing the fluid, it's generally recommend to just never change it, since half the transmission comes out in the fluid at that point. Also the new fluid has fresh detergent and cleans out all the poo poo that was holding everything together.

You could be in some trouble :smith:. The other guys in this thread could probably give better advice on how to proceed.

Gah. Well, it seemed that the OP might have changed the trans fluid since it looked pretty clean. But he also hosed up the gasket and pinched it when he put the pan back on, so I had to replace that. It's not like I had much choice. Ah well.

Hasn't done it in a few days. I may have just been holding the accelerator in a bad spot. Right? Right? :smith:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Doctor Zero posted:

Hasn't done it in a few days. I may have just been holding the accelerator in a bad spot. Right? Right? :smith:

It's certainly possible. I would try a light acceleration and a light stop, and a hard acceleration and a hard stop and see if you feel anything with it shifting up or down. If those go ok then maybe you confused it or something and it ended up searching.

I change my AW4's tranny fluid every 30k and it comes out as bright red as what I put back in. I just had the filter and gasket changed at just over 90k about 6 months ago. My understanding is if tranny fluid looks worn out, you waited too long. But my experience is very limited.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How easy is it to do a flush with the AW4 in a cherokee ? The hardlines look like it would be tough to hook up to the flushing machine. Anyone have this done ?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

fordham posted:

My understanding is if tranny fluid looks worn out, you waited too long. But my experience is very limited.

Correct. Also if it smells like anything besides how it smelled out of the bottle its time to go...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Hmm...I wonder how much these are going to cost? The 4.6L Golen strokers give about the same performance for $3500. Nevertheless, it's nice to see them even offer this.

Reuters posted:

Mopar will also introduce a new 4.7-liter I-6 Stroker long block, a powerful upgrade for the 4.0-liter I-6 made famous in Jeep vehicles built from 1991-2006. Because off-road enthusiasts appreciated the dependability and performance of the previous 4.0-liter engine, Mopar developed a more powerful engine that delivers an expected 265 hp and 290 lb.-ft of torque. The engine will fit in any Jeep vehicle previously equipped with the 4.0-liter I-6 engine.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does anyone know if there's a PDF owner's manual for later model '97-01 XJ Cherokees around? I'm really just curious to see the factory maintenance schedule. I'm looking for a nice XJ but want to understand what maintenance owners should have been keeping up on.

Also I'm kinda curious, how accurately do you think KBB, Edmunds, and other prices guides reflect the value of XJ Cherokees?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I've got a full FSM in .pdf, the maintenance section is only five pages (A & B versions for types of use).

KBB is pretty accurate; it's within a few hundred for what I got my '99 Sport for.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
edit: Err where did you get the full service manual and was it expensive?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

$50 on ebay; it came with a .pdf copy on a CD which is nice so I can just print off what I need and take out to the garage with me, so I don't have to worry about getting it all wrinkled and dirty.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Philip J Fry posted:

$50 on ebay; it came with a .pdf copy on a CD which is nice so I can just print off what I need and take out to the garage with me, so I don't have to worry about getting it all wrinkled and dirty.

I'm not sure if this is :filez: territory, but greatlakesxj.com has a resource page where all the FSM's are posted in PDF form. I'm pretty sure those ebay service manuals are just some dude burning the files to a CD and anyways. Some guy in my state spams craigs list with factory service manuals in PDF form only 15 dollars all kinds buy now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Cool, thanks for the link!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Any one here have an Or-Fab sport sport cage or heard anything about them? I'm really considering one. I found them for sale at autopartswarehouse.com and I can get a cage and a dash bar for less than the price of the cage only from 4wd.com and free shipping.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 4, 2009

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
My dad's '84 CJ rebuild:

Those are 35" tires on it, this one shows off his 37" military muddin' tires:

No idea how he drove it in there:

He flipped it in '95 while going to midnight sale at The Bay, hit a pile of snow in front of a Tim Hortons and rolled 5 or 6 times. After some of the guys in Timmies came out to help, he got it right side up again and drove it home. Then he took it off the road till '06, stripped it down and custom built a frame for it, put in a bigger engine/transmission/axles/pretty much everything. There's a bus heater under the back seat, the horn is a propane tank filled with compressed air attached to a horn from an 18 wheeler, full roll cage, most of the body is reinforced with 3/8" steel plate, it's just ridiculous. oh and it gets 4-6 mpg lol
Now it's sitting in a storage locker while he's out in Calgary. I really need to learn to drive stick so I can take it out for a run.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Dirty Dish posted:

He flipped it in '95 while going to midnight sale at The Bay, hit a pile of snow in front of a Tim Hortons and rolled 5 or 6 times. After some of the guys in Timmies came out to help, he got it right side up again and drove it home.

Hahahahaha the plight of the Canadian Man's Man. These sentences solidify all Canadian stereotypes.

Cool jeep though, I just hate big "All Terrain" type tires. Those mudders will look much better on it. Also, those all terrains are pretty much useless in Alberta gumbo mud (so I've heard).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

I really need to learn to drive stick so I can take it out for a run.

Dude, seriously, this would the be awesomest car to learn stick in. DO IT. (I learned stick in a Toyota Tacoma, one of the ones that sadly got recalled due to the frames magically becoming rust in like 8 years...).

In review. Learn on that beast. You'll be able to drive anything with a clutch then!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I think I have axle wrap. Revamped springs may be in my future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uVq8_3JUps

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Well my WJ hasn't done the stuttering thing since I posted about it, so I guess I'll assume a conjunction of Mercury and Venus in Libra*.

*Or that I kept holding the accelerator right on the edge of the gear band.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
Hey all,

I'm checking this guy out on Wednesday, aside from having a mechanic look at it, what should I keep in mind when looking over the car/engine? It comes with a spare too, just isn't shown.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/1457155229.html

My family had a 93 Sahara for about 10 years, so I have no doubts as to the reliability of the I6. Does it have the same potential issues with dodgy electrical systems that seem to be the only thing that plague most Jeeps?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I posted this on vancouvermustangs.com, and I'll cross post it over here and the other 4x4 pictures thread.

quote:

Squidz, Nate, Myself and some others were supposed to go wheeling this morning, but at 4:30am my head was still spinning from alcohol so I bitched out. Around 2pm The Champ called and started calling me names, so, fighting the urge to vomit I dragged myself out of bed, fueled up on a Tim Horton's poo poo sandwhich, and stumbled over to Vedder mtn to make our way up to the lookout.

Me

My friend Kelly

The view

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Greetings my Jeep Brethren. I have come once more to seek your wisdom...

Help me with tires!

For this...

I know its a 7.00 or 7.50 by 16 LT tire, but if I'm just grubbing around for cheap rubber, what kind of stuff in P-metric will fit on here? 205/75 16? 215? 195 190? Sidewall ratio more than 75? Less?

See, there's not much in the used tire market in a LT 7.00 or 7.50... But I'll bet there's a ton of stuff off of dodge trucks that will fit...

I'm just looking to get 4 hunks of rubber with enough tread to pass a road inspection for now(or at least one hunk that doesn't blow a $18 tube every other week! :bang::suicide::bang: ) but advice on what to put on it when I "finish" it is also appreciated.

Should I just go out and pull some dodge 5x5.5" rims for P-metrics or will p-Metrics fit on these rims?

Maybe some day we'll meet and argue who gets to climb the tree first...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Anyone ever replaced the factory stereo in a Grand Cherokee (or whatever) that has steering wheel controls? I'd like to get a radio with a USB jack, but I don't want to lose the in-wheel controls. When I look at Crutchfield, they say the only thing they have that fits is some cockamamie IR thing. is there really no company that makes a decent adapter?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Doctor Zero posted:

Anyone ever replaced the factory stereo in a Grand Cherokee (or whatever) that has steering wheel controls? I'd like to get a radio with a USB jack, but I don't want to lose the in-wheel controls. When I look at Crutchfield, they say the only thing they have that fits is some cockamamie IR thing. is there really no company that makes a decent adapter?

PAC makes an adapter, only works with radios that allow for hardwire remotes though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-78XrR5gbtM4/p_127SWIPS/PAC-SWI-PS.html

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

I don't really have anything to contribute but this car totally reminded me of American Gods. Though the paint job is way better than the one I assume Gaiman envisioned.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Just picked up my Jeep from getting some body work done after I was hit by a delivery truck on Halloween. The actual body work looks incredible, but they dripped a small amount of paint on the fender flare. I'm probably just being overly picky, but it's going to bug me. Typically, I'd just buy a new fender flare and be done with it, but this is a limited edition model (2005 TJ Willys Edition) that has "body color fender flares", so that could be difficult.

Are there any ways I could get that paint off without having to take it back to the shop and say "hey, you screwed it up, fix it", then having to wait for weeks while they track down a replacement fender flare?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

grnberet2b posted:

Just picked up my Jeep from getting some body work done after I was hit by a delivery truck on Halloween. The actual body work looks incredible, but they dripped a small amount of paint on the fender flare. I'm probably just being overly picky, but it's going to bug me. Typically, I'd just buy a new fender flare and be done with it, but this is a limited edition model (2005 TJ Willys Edition) that has "body color fender flares", so that could be difficult.

Are there any ways I could get that paint off without having to take it back to the shop and say "hey, you screwed it up, fix it", then having to wait for weeks while they track down a replacement fender flare?

If its a drip, those can be removed with a skilled of a straight razor. It happens all the time with paint and bodywork. They can probably put some solvent on it it to help remove it provided it doesn't discolor or melt the fender flare plastic.

Is the fender flare smooth or textured? Either way I'd point it out to them since it's a sure fire way to know that the Jeep had paint and body work done to it [not that there's other ways to tell, eg. comparing orange peel or looking for overspray or mask lines].

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Veeb0rg posted:

PAC makes an adapter, only works with radios that allow for hardwire remotes though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-78XrR5gbtM4/p_127SWIPS/PAC-SWI-PS.html

Huh. I could have sworn that the last time I looked, it said that didn't fit my Jeep, but now it does. Maybe I had an incompatible radio selected or something. Ah well, thanks!

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

BigKOfJustice posted:

If its a drip, those can be removed with a skilled of a straight razor. It happens all the time with paint and bodywork. They can probably put some solvent on it it to help remove it provided it doesn't discolor or melt the fender flare plastic.

Is the fender flare smooth or textured? Either way I'd point it out to them since it's a sure fire way to know that the Jeep had paint and body work done to it [not that there's other ways to tell, eg. comparing orange peel or looking for overspray or mask lines].

It's like a few drips that slightly dried, got noticed, then rubbed off with a towel or something, leaving mainly the outline. The fender flare is mostly smooth, but has some light texture. I'll probably take it back by there later on and see what they can do for it.

Completely unrelated question: Does anyone have a CB in a Wrangler w/ a soft top? If so, what's the best way to secure it? At this point, I'm thinking remove it from the Jeep entirely every time I get out, namely because I don't lock the doors because I don't want someone slashing the soft top (part of that whole limited edition thing) just to get a small amount of stuff out.

grnberet2b fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

grnberet2b posted:

Completely unrelated question: Does anyone have a CB in a Wrangler w/ a soft top? If so, what's the best way to secure it? At this point, I'm thinking remove it from the Jeep entirely every time I get out, namely because I don't lock the doors because I don't want someone slashing the soft top (part of that whole limited edition thing) just to get a small amount of stuff out.

I have one in a soft top humvee. I take it out all the time, CB and a Ham/VHF radio. It sucks but I really only need to install it 2 times a month or so, and it's not a big deal.

The idea with a soft top is not to leave anything of value sitting around inside, so I replaced the factory radio with one with a removable faceplate.

Tuffy security products makes a replacement center console where it's a steel unit that allows you to install a VB radio and have it tucked out of view.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

So basically you can get a center console replacement, install the CB inside the console with the faceplate facing up and when not in use you can flip down and lock the unit.

I know a few people who has done this.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

BigKOfJustice posted:

I have one in a soft top humvee. I take it out all the time, CB and a Ham/VHF radio. It sucks but I really only need to install it 2 times a month or so, and it's not a big deal.

The idea with a soft top is not to leave anything of value sitting around inside, so I replaced the factory radio with one with a removable faceplate.

Tuffy security products makes a replacement center console where it's a steel unit that allows you to install a VB radio and have it tucked out of view.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

So basically you can get a center console replacement, install the CB inside the console with the faceplate facing up and when not in use you can flip down and lock the unit.

I know a few people who has done this.

I'm not sure how well the replacement center console would come off as I have a sub-woofer mounted under the console and that might cause issues in the installation.

This seems intriguing though...

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

grnberet2b posted:

I do... and I found the perfect way to keep it secure.

It is mounted low, so it is not in direct line of sight for passersbye and it costs $20 (Cobra 19) so if it DOES get stolen, no big loss. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
I have the Cobra remote mount CB with the display and controls built into the mic. It fits nicely under the drivers seat...

Edit: Oh crap. How do I delete the image??

Only registered members can see post attachments!