Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

nm posted:

It means the rotor hats are coated so they don't rust.
It is a cosmetic thing.

When I have gotten zinc plated rotors (assuming this is the same thing?) the entire rotor was covered / plated. The plating wears off of the friction surface within the first few miles of driving (by design), leaving the entire unswept portion of the rotor with the anti-corrosion treatment still in place. The rotors still look great after a couple years. Well worth the extra cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Just Another XY posted:

thanks ja\mal! you are the best. it's like talking to a walking, breathing nasioc. (without the assholery and with all the awesome)

Yeah, you're welcome too.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

dayman posted:

Yeah, you're welcome too.

poo poo, you too. Thanks for all the advice. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How "sporty" is the Outback XT? There's one very close by in nice condition with an attractive mileage for a decent price, and so far I've not had great luck with used WRX wagons.

I assume the suspension is going to be designed for offroading, and so the handling will be much less responsive than that of the WRX - can I swap in the Legacy GT upgrades when I decide I want a sportier ride?

It's a 2005 2.5XT, so I'm assuming it has the same EJ255 as the 2005+ WRX or the Forester XT.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the problem with lowering an outback or forester is that the whole body is lifted off the subframes with spacers. What that means is that when you lower one down to even stock legacy height, you severely gently caress up the suspension geometry.

The steering ratio on an outback is also much slower than that on a legacy. LGT is something like 16:1, which is slow. An outback is 19:1. An sti is about 15:1, and evos are 13:1.

As a side note, I'm going to attempt to remove all the spacers on a friend's forester in order to use some of them on a race car build. we're modifying/replacing the subframes anyway so this lets us lower the drivetrain and center of gravity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How "sporty" is the Outback XT? There's one very close by in nice condition with an attractive mileage for a decent price, and so far I've not had great luck with used WRX wagons.

I assume the suspension is going to be designed for offroading, and so the handling will be much less responsive than that of the WRX - can I swap in the Legacy GT upgrades when I decide I want a sportier ride?

It's a 2005 2.5XT, so I'm assuming it has the same EJ255 as the 2005+ WRX or the Forester XT.

Why not just buy a legacy?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It has certainly been done with some success, but for the reasons Jamal mentioned, I'd hold out of an LGT wagon.
OBXT v. LGT
LGT has a faster and better feeling steering rack
LGT has much bigger brakes
Different final drive
Suspension stuff
Far fewer bolt on cans, but if you can swap some tips, you're golden

legacygt.com will have more info on removing spacers and correcting geometry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'll just hold out for a WRX, then - although I might take a test drive to see how stiff the clutch is. Thanks, chaps. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Quick question about oil filters. I've recently read that most Subarus don't need an oil filter with an anti drain-back valve because its mounted upside down. This makes sense to me, but Subaru itself has an article bragging about its new oil filter where it talks about having a sophisticated anti drain-back valve. I'm not sure what it right here or if it even matters.

What brought this on is that I just found out that the Motomaster oil filters I've been using for my Subaru are just rebranded Fram filters, and the crappy cardboard endcap ones at that. The model is not even really specifically for a Subaru, its just a Honda filter that happens to meet most of the specs for a Subaru. It has an anti drain-back valve.

Any recommendations on a good filter? I was thinking of tracking down a Purolator filter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
wix/napa gold

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've always used purolator pure one. PL14460 is the big one. There are other good ones but that's what they have at pep-boys.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I just replaced my air filter with a Purolator and now I can hear the turbo spinning up. I've never been able to hear this before so I checked everything out to make sure I didn't leave something leaking after closing everything up. It looks like everything is closed up properly. Is this normal with a non Subaru filter?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One of the wrxes I test drove had a K&N panel filter and I could easily hear the turbo spinning up and down. I'm guessing Subaru puts some noise baffling in the stock unit, if that's really the case.

It also had a new aftermarket exhaust header, so I can't say for sure it was the filter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can hear my turbo spooling up pretty easily with a stock filter.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

got my Blackstone oil analysis back today. I'm using shell rotella 5-40 synthetic, and went something like 7000-7500 very abusive miles. They said to try 9000 miles next time:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

jamal posted:

got my Blackstone oil analysis back today. I'm using shell rotella 5-40 synthetic, and went something like 7000-7500 very abusive miles. They said to try 9000 miles next time:

Heh and here I was about to go change my oil at 3k miles. (Also using Rotella 5w40) I know that different cars can warrant different change intervals, but I'll bet my car can go another 500 miles or so for sure.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

dayman posted:

Heh and here I was about to go change my oil at 3k miles. (Also using Rotella 5w40) I know that different cars can warrant different change intervals, but I'll bet my car can go another 500 miles or so for sure.

Why not spend a small amount of $ to find out?

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
I think it might have been mentioned earlier by a couple people a few pages back, but I'm curious as if it is still an issue (at least on the 2010s)...

In a few months I'll be in the market and I've been doing some research which pretty much made me fall in love with the current gen STi (though I could settle for a WRX, if that really is settling). For the past couple of days I've been reading around and have spotted a large bunch of people complaining about ring land failure (specifically on the NASIOC/IWSTI forums).

It seemed so bad that a lot of people are saying it's not a mater of if it will happen, but when -- some guys are apparently on their third engine. I take care of my poo poo and as far as I know it is all under warranty, but still -- I obviously don't want to roll around in a car that is a guaranteed ticking time bomb.

I talked to a friend about this and he told me that this was only on some of the engines manufactured early on in the cycle and that it has been fixed on any block built from mid 09 on.

Wondering if anyone here knows what's up.

nutnmunch fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 20, 2009

chrith
Jan 7, 2009
My new to me 98 legacy outback. Put about 50 miles on it so far and love it already

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Guyyys – Is $400 shipped for a Legacy GT downpipe with 5k miles on it a good deal? Found it on NASIOC, with comparable downpipes being $600+.

renton
May 20, 2003
Survived Plane Crash
I have a 1990 Legacy 2.2L 5 speed LS 116 000 miles ... I love it, it's basically a luxury car and tank in one, I tried putting some slightly wider tires on it but they rubbed the rear struts slightly. I have had a lot of issues with the locks though - they are really stiff to unlock and I had to replace one in the back so you could open it from the inside. The transmission is a little finicky - it doesn't like to go into first when you're going faster than 12mph, even with some applied throttle. I find when downshifting in general it likes to have about 1200 rpm rather than idle to have a smooth shift. All considered though it's a great car that I got for a steal. It's incredibly fun to drive in the snow - last winter I drove around a stuck H2 :)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Just Another XY posted:

Guyyys – Is $400 shipped for a Legacy GT downpipe with 5k miles on it a good deal? Found it on NASIOC, with comparable downpipes being $600+.

What downpipe?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

Catted or no?
brand?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

god, I really suck at posting sometimes don't I.

"Invidia 08+ WRX/STi Polished Divorced Waste Gate Downpipe with High Flow Cat" from a NASIOC vendor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

god, I really suck at posting sometimes don't I.

"Invidia 08+ WRX/STi Polished Divorced Waste Gate Downpipe with High Flow Cat" from a NASIOC vendor.
$400 is good as long as you're sure that will fit an LGT

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

I think it might have been mentioned earlier by a couple people a few pages back, but I'm curious as if it is still an issue (at least on the 2010s)...

In a few months I'll be in the market and I've been doing some research which pretty much made me fall in love with the current gen STi (though I could settle for a WRX, if that really is settling). For the past couple of days I've been reading around and have spotted a large bunch of people complaining about ring land failure (specifically on the NASIOC/IWSTI forums).

It seemed so bad that a lot of people are saying it's not a mater of if it will happen, but when -- some guys are apparently on their third engine. I take care of my poo poo and as far as I know it is all under warranty, but still -- I obviously don't want to roll around in a car that is a guaranteed ticking time bomb.

I talked to a friend about this and he told me that this was only on some of the engines manufactured early on in the cycle and that it has been fixed on any block built from mid 09 on.

Wondering if anyone here knows what's up.

Ringlands and the rod bearing issues 09s have been having are completely different.

I have never seen a stock car crack a ringland, or a stock turbo car with a good tune. Two of the cars I saw crack lands were very poorly modded and not tuned (both 07 stis). One was making 380whp (08 wrx), one was making around 350 and was tracked frequently (05sti), and another had the turbo inlet slip off (07 wrx). These are all motors that I actually did the compression check on and/or subsequently pulled apart.

Chances are, you won't have a problem, but it doesn't take a lot of detonation to crack a stock piston (for some reason it's been more likely on 07+ 2.5s). If the car is making a lot of power, gets really hot and/or has a crap tune, don't expect not to have a problem.

jamal fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 20, 2009

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

jamal posted:

Ringlands and the rod bearing issues 09s have been having are completely different.

I have never seen a stock car crack a ringland, or a stock turbo car with a good tune. Two of the cars I saw crack lands were very poorly modded and not tuned (both 07 stis). One was making 380whp (08 wrx), one was making around 350 and was tracked frequently (05sti), and another had the turbo inlet slip off (07 wrx). These are all motors that I actually did the compression check on and/or subsequently pulled apart.

Chances are, you won't have a problem, but it doesn't take a lot of detonation to crack a stock piston (for some reason it's been more likely on 07+ 2.5s). If the car is making a lot of power, gets really hot and/or has a crap tune, don't expect not to have a problem.

Thanks for the reply. This makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. Seems like a lot of people just don't bother grabbing a solid tune and that is the root of most (if not all) of the problems.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nutnmunch posted:

Thanks for the reply. This makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. Seems like a lot of people just don't bother grabbing a solid tune and that is the root of most (if not all) of the problems.

A friend of mine told me that one thing about Boxer engines is that they are really tolerant of a lovely conditions in the sense that you can just motor along with all sorts of problems and it'll work right up until something gives way from the abuse.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

nm posted:

$400 is good as long as you're sure that will fit an LGT

I was planning on putting it in an 09 WRX, sorry I'm horrible at clarification. Okay, thanks for the advice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Hi I have what is likely a cracked ringland (145-125-135-105) that likely happened on a stock tune but might have happened on a cobb stg 1. I is, however, tracked 10 times a year and has about a million auto-xs on it.
Stangely enough is shows no sign of it except impressive oil use. Not even oil analysises showed anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The general theme I've been seeing on my car is it will not complain and then catastrophically break.

So far, it's happened with my transmission/differential and it happened with my left front wheel bearing. The differential actually ATE A HOLE into the transfer case and the car kept driving while the wheel bearing and knuckle were completely and utterly shot and there was only a little bit of wheel play (no noise).

It is equal parts awesome, terrifying, and incredibly expensive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I've been driving on this for about a year (if not more), I think and will likely do another year.
As long as I can keep oil in it (hell, it went the last 1000mi without consuming any oil, WTF?) and the metals don't go up, i can last for a while. (I'm at 10 ppm, which is actually less than the above blackstone shows).
And yes, i will be doing Laguna Seca in 2 weeks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
nm you are a crazy crazy man. That's a time bomb to me, but more power to you. Let us know how it holds up at the track.

One side question. Had the 30k done on my 08 not too long ago, and when "cold" it's a bitch to get it into 2nd while coasting along. They changed the trans fluid as a part of the service IIRC. Short of calling and complaining, anything else worth checking?

And finally, Christmas is coming early up here. MY GIRLFRIEND ordered a set of whiteline adjustable swaybars (F+R). Also picking up some AVO RSB mounts, and I have been waiting to put the kartboy endlinks on from previous xmas. Everything should be here next week, I can't wait!

scradley
Aug 18, 2005

I am currently looking at 2006 WRX right now with 44k miles on it. Its in pretty good shape. Interior is mint, exterior needs a good wax and buff because its black and from Nevada. It has some minor mods, fartcan exhaust, blow off and intake. I plan to take off the fartcan and BOV. The only thing I'm worried about is the 5 speed MT. Obviously I don't know what kind of shape the gears are in. What can I do to prevent my tranny from exploding horribly? In the case of a transmission failure what does it cost to replace the transmission with more sturdy gear set? Am I limited to a STI 6 speed for a stronger transmission or can I rebuild the transmission with aftermarket gears that are stronger?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

scradley posted:

It has some minor mods, fartcan exhaust, blow off and intake. I plan to take off the fartcan and BOV.

Be careful if the car seems to have been treated poorly:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post353675851

That car cost ELP a lot to get right, though it seemed to be have been modded even more shittily.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scradley posted:

I am currently looking at 2006 WRX right now with 44k miles on it. Its in pretty good shape. Interior is mint, exterior needs a good wax and buff because its black and from Nevada. It has some minor mods, fartcan exhaust, blow off and intake. I plan to take off the fartcan and BOV. The only thing I'm worried about is the 5 speed MT. Obviously I don't know what kind of shape the gears are in. What can I do to prevent my tranny from exploding horribly? In the case of a transmission failure what does it cost to replace the transmission with more sturdy gear set? Am I limited to a STI 6 speed for a stronger transmission or can I rebuild the transmission with aftermarket gears that are stronger?
Do a leakdown test.
Also, don't buy it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

Hi I have what is likely a cracked ringland (145-125-135-105) that likely happened on a stock tune but might have happened on a cobb stg 1. I is, however, tracked 10 times a year and has about a million auto-xs on it.
Stangely enough is shows no sign of it except impressive oil use. Not even oil analysises showed anything.

well that blows. You'll eventually start getting cyl 4 misfires, and a chunk of ringland could work it's way out or damage a ring maybe. We've spent a lot of effort trying to keep the sti cool on the track. With a good pwr radiator, big rear end oil cooler, and some better airflow through the front it's just barely manageable. We're also making a bit more power than stock, though. Hopefully the e-85 and some better ducting in the front will take care of things for good.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 22, 2009

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
Yesterday I learned to not buy modded Subaru's from anyone, no matter how nice they seem. While having an axle boot replaced at a buddy's house we discovered that my 04 WRX has an 02-03 transmission in it. Unknown miles, and its making metallic rattle/knock noises, especially in 4th gear. Also, that new boots clamps aren't taking well, because its making GBS threads out axle grease right onto the downpipe. :mad:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no it's just that some early 04s have that transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I'm lookin at a 2002 RS that failed WA state emissions once at 50k miles. Is that something to worry about? I'm thinking maybe the PO didn't change the oil, cause he didn't clean it much. I'd hate to over-analyze a carfax, but that sticks out. halp

really slim pickins out here, and I need a car fast :/