Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

podcast comment leavers are the new callers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

radiatinglines posted:

podcast comment leavers are the new callers

Nobody who can read or write can possibly be as bad as a Loveline caller. Except that one chick from page the first 50 pages.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
This is completely off topic, but does Drew ever do appearances or book signings? I can never find any info about this and it'd be great to meet him.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I like how the first 30 minutes was Adam yelling about someone who annoyed him in the traffic. Brilliant stuff!

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.
How long was Adam Carolla studying at the Groundlings before he broke through? His comedy was way too developed to be an outlier without some substantial time spent doing improv. His friends he hung out with have cool stories, but Adam has always seemed to gloss over whatever gently caress ton of ours he spent on his craft.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jyrka posted:

I like how the first 30 minutes was Adam yelling about someone who annoyed him in the traffic. Brilliant stuff!
That person was a tremendous oval office, though. I would have been even more livid.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

spirited posted:

How long was Adam Carolla studying at the Groundlings before he broke through? His comedy was way too developed to be an outlier without some substantial time spent doing improv. His friends he hung out with have cool stories, but Adam has always seemed to gloss over whatever gently caress ton of ours he spent on his craft.

I think he's said he made it through their program but wasn't brought along as a full member after "graduating" or whatever. I think a lot of it is a natural talent he has to make good references and connections to things no matter what's being talked about. A kind of "conversational intelligence" I guess. It's too bad he has that sperg-like tendency to repeatedly harp on the same topics over and over again as well as the whole forgetting his roots and not understanding that a lot of people just aren't as gifted and driven as he was to bootstrap himself out of a poo poo lifestyle back in the day.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

Punch Card posted:

I think he's said he made it through their program but wasn't brought along as a full member after "graduating" or whatever. I think a lot of it is a natural talent he has to make good references and connections to things no matter what's being talked about. A kind of "conversational intelligence" I guess. It's too bad he has that sperg-like tendency to repeatedly harp on the same topics over and over again as well as the whole forgetting his roots and not understanding that a lot of people just aren't as gifted and driven as he was to bootstrap himself out of a poo poo lifestyle back in the day.

Bruce talked about this a few weeks ago, he's spergy in that he's able to read people and hone in on nuances about people and their behavior (which is why Loveline was such a great show with him), but even spergier in his complete inability to understand how other people perceive him and the things he says/does.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
"Hmm, I guess I'll check out who's on the podcast today."

*opens up iTunes*

"Okay let's see...Teresa and Bald Bryan...Larry Miller, eh, I'll take it or leave it...Junior Seau- what"

Well now I've got to hear this if only to see if it's gonna be an hour long discussion about the Pats/Colts game.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jyrka posted:

I actually thought that story was totally worth it because of the part where he was trying to guess if the person would turn based on the model of car. I totally do that type of poo poo when I'm in traffic.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Instrumedley posted:

This is completely off topic, but does Drew ever do appearances or book signings? I can never find any info about this and it'd be great to meet him.

A few pages back I detailed him coming to my school and signing a mason jar for me so yes, he does signings and appearances

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

You have to drop a nickel first though. Drew will hear it from California and take the next flight to you.

The Sender
May 31, 2008

The lines in the road, are just decoration!
$$ Internet Prick $$

Solarin posted:

You have to drop a nickel first though. Drew will hear it from California and take the next flight to you.

Ironic how he would spend many nickels on a flight in order to pick one nickel from the ground.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

The Sender posted:

Ironic how he would spend many nickels on a flight in order to pick one nickel from the ground.

He's a passionate, passionate man.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

Punch Card posted:

I completely agree and understand about forgetting his roots. Carolla rails against Hollywood for all the narcissists and people that could never make a living in the real world had the ludicrous nature of the entertainment industry not been available to them. Though if he had been raised in Pittsburgh instead of in North Hollywood his chances at radio would have been nilch, he'd just be a chatty blue collar worker whose boss would despise the prick. So in a way he's in the same boat as much of the people he constantly complains about. Location and culture plays a huge role in your future success even if his parents were uninvolved new age whackos.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know offhand which episode "The world is your oyster..." came from? Pretty sure it was in 2001

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

roffle posted:

Does anyone know offhand which episode "The world is your oyster..." came from? Pretty sure it was in 2001

It's one of the nights where he does the show from Vegas while Drew is back in the studio, and calls in obviously buzzed.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you know the month by any chance

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Today's Carolla podcast is actually mostly Loveline talk. If you can get around the whole "super fan drooling over Adam", the Loveline chat and confrontation of Dr Bruce make it worth a listen.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheDingo posted:

If you can get around the whole "super fan drooling over Adam",

Adam baby all your stuff is gold, the reason why people don't love your podcast is that you post them too late thats all. But you have the most original material out of anyone I've ever heard. It's gold baby GOLD!

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag

roffle posted:

I'm pretty sure no one has actually found this one's origin. Also it might be 2000 or earlier even.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I just noticed that Drew was on the podcast and got my hopes up, then the political crap started in and well

You had a shot at still being funny, Adam.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
Refuse to listen. That guy hates me becuase I posted a Film Vault podast 3 days after it was uploaded

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rushmore posted:

Refuse to listen. That guy hates me becuase I posted a Film Vault podast 3 days after it was uploaded

Come again?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

raditts posted:

Come again?

It seems Rushmore and Giovanni had a spat.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TheDingo posted:

Today's Carolla podcast is actually mostly Loveline talk. If you can get around the whole "super fan drooling over Adam", the Loveline chat and confrontation of Dr Bruce make it worth a listen.

Yeah, the Dr. Bruce "Where's my money?!" stuff was pretty loving hilarious, actually. Bruce is funniest when he's angry.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
That dude gave off some serious Mark Chapman vibes.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

roffle posted:

It's in the earlier half of 2001, I just listened to this one not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it again when I get back from work.

edit: still looking, it is part of the large torrent floating around. Drew had a lot of gas in 2001...

Here we go: March 31, 2001

http://rapidshare.com/files/310354816/Loveline_-_2001-03-21__Guest_-_Samantha_Mathis__Ken_Marino____James_Roday_.mp3

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 22, 2009

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag

AuntBuck posted:

Do you know around what time the quote is?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

AuntBuck posted:

It's in the earlier half of 2001, I just listened to this one not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it again when I get back from work.

edit: still looking, it is part of the large torrent floating around. Drew had a lot of gas in 2001...

http://rapidshare.com/files/310354816/Loveline_-_2001-03-21__Guest_-_Samantha_Mathis__Ken_Marino____James_Roday_.mp3

Is that the episode where he tells a story of how someone left their poo poo in a one of the station's toilets so he pissed on it, "ripping into it like a couple of Zeros strafing a US carrier"?

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

My favorite part of that Giovanni super-fan podcast is right at the end where Giovanni says something like, "I'll come back and do a part two" and Adam goes "okay buddy..."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This Giovanni guy definitely sounds like ... what I would expect a guy obsessed with collecting Loveline episodes would sound like. It's kind of painful to listen to him talk, but I guess it's hard when you've got your tongue buried that deeply in Adam's rear end.

Mq posted:

Anyone watching Sex Rehab with Dr Drew? I didn't catch the previous rehab series with Drew so I don't know how it compares but the first episode was pretty interesting. Classic loveline poo poo with abuse and issues and drugs etc. Kinda weird seeing people admitting to such problems on tv. But overall I have slightly mixed feelings about the show. I'm not sure how much of the show is about actually helping these people and educating viewers versus being another reality show. I couldn't help but feel that locking a bunch of generally attractive sex addicts of both sexes with each other isn't the optimal treatment. I know that Drew generally means well but he also really loves being on telly...

I tried watching it, but pretty much all the people on there act like insufferable children. Maybe I'm just not compassionate enough or something, I dunno.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 23, 2009

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

raditts posted:

I tried watching it, but pretty much all the people on there act like insufferable children. Maybe I'm just not compassionate enough or something, I dunno.

It's amazing watching that show and seeing the unbelievable amount of patience that Drew shows with these people. Drew will baby an obnoxious, high-as-gently caress 19 year old model with a ridiculous sense of entitlement, think about how much he must truly hate the callers he snaps at.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Bamm Bamm posted:

It's amazing watching that show and seeing the unbelievable amount of patience that Drew shows with these people. Drew will baby an obnoxious, high-as-gently caress 19 year old model with a ridiculous sense of entitlement, think about how much he must truly hate the callers he snaps at.

listen...listen...LISTEN...LISTEN

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Paul Kersey posted:

My favorite part of that Giovanni super-fan podcast is right at the end where Giovanni says something like, "I'll come back and do a part two" and Adam goes "okay buddy..."

They have already recorded a 2nd podcast, and I actually quite liked the first one except for the part where he suggested guests and stuff.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Giovanni sounds like a pretty scrubby guy in his private life.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

UltraRed posted:

Giovanni sounds like a pretty scrubby guy in his private life.

He spends his spare time poring over Loveline cassette recordings and memorizing who was on what episode 10 years ago, I think that goes without saying.

Today's Seth Green one is pretty good, but they've seriously got to do something about those Skype calls, every single one sounds like they're underwater. I still don't know how you gently caress up Skype that badly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TomSellek posted:

They have already recorded a 2nd podcast, and I actually quite liked the first one except for the part where he suggested guests and stuff.
That annoyed me until he recommended James Roday, who is awesome and would be a perfect guest.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
This is going to make me sound like a total dick but is a benefit concert really necessary for someone who just made over $100k on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I can totally understand if it's for cancer research or something but the event description says that it's just for his medical bills. From what I understand, he has medical insurance too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Holland Oats posted:

This is going to make me sound like a total dick but is a benefit concert really necessary for someone who just made over $100k on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I can totally understand if it's for cancer research or something but the event description says that it's just for his medical bills. From what I understand, he has medical insurance too.

That money won't even begin to cover all of his medical expenses, let alone provide an income when neither of them have been able to work for months.

Most Americans are one medical crisis away from bankruptcy and losing everything. Medical insurance doesn't mean poo poo when the company denies coverage for "experimental" treatment (which is what's been happening to them).

• Locked thread