Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
I somehow forget to play go for months on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Today's Go Problems from Real Life is entitled "Why you should always be paying attention"

I am black, and have just played the marked stone, which I expect to one of the last moves of the game. White proceeds to change what score est calls W+0.5 into a massacre. Can you spot the move that I didn't?

Remember to spoiler your answers so everyone can play!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
C11?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Argue posted:

C11?

thats the one. also what is your avatar from, I've always wanted to ask.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Rhythm Heaven, the GBA one. It's better than the DS one imo.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Argue posted:

C11?

Hooray; I actually solved one of these. Now I just have to actually play some Go again and I'll be all set.

Also, the source of your avatar was the first part of that game I perfected, I think.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I didn't think it could be that easy. I was looking for something more. Poor pyro.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
He actually missed it and played A9 first, and then asked for an undo. Normally I wouldn't have granted it but a few turns earlier he had let me undo when I made a dumb mistake that lost me 15 stones (again) so I pretty much had to. It was a good game until that point.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Such is go, we've all been there.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

In the spirit of my last comment and pyro's tsumego I have a tsumego from my last game for everyone.

I'm playing white and I'm a moron who just played T9. Black punishes me with T7. However, I could have saved myself and won the game if I had just done a little reading. Instead, being a moron, I played S8 and lost the game by komi.

Can you find the variation where I don't loss the game like an rear end?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
T11 before connection

Even if these are easy its a decent way to keep the topic moving during downtimes imo

EDIT edit: this was dumb and I read it wrong ignore

edit edit edit: no I didn't, D19 followed by A14 does something I think

edit prime: I did it ingame and it doesn't do anything I can;t loving read

Urban Renewal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 16, 2009

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Blendy posted:

Go problem

t6 s8 s9 t8 s7 t9 s6 seems to be a reasonable result to me. I don't know if you'd still win the game with it though.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I was going to suggest the following :
for white, D19, A14, B17,

but if black goes to b18 and a18, his (black's) group will live

so white can't force black in the upper left.
(Totally not answering your question)

I'd probably play S7 to try and cut my losses, assuming I miss T11.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2009

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
Ignore me, T11 is clearly the best play.

You are Jennifer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

here are two outcomes I found after the game:

w T11 b T12 w S7

or

w T11 b S7 w S6

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

dang double post mistake

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
A while back somebody posted a site in ITGO that had you enter in opening moves, and showed you different continuations averaged from a big database of pro games. If it was ever posted in the thread I can't find it, and nobody in the channel knows what I'm talking about. Does anyone remember this?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You probably mean http://eidogo.com/, but as far as I know, it's a joseki database, not a fuseki one.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Argue posted:

You probably mean http://eidogo.com/, but as far as I know, it's a joseki database, not a fuseki one.

I don't think this is it but this is cool anyhow

edit: it was http://kgs.fuseki.info/ , thanks hels

Urban Renewal fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 19, 2009

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if it's been posted in the thread or not, but i find breakfast's go tests pretty interesting.

http://sanrensei.info/ - Whether you would be a good san-ren-sei player

http://play.baduk.org/ - What your "real level" is

http://style.baduk.org/ - What your playing style is

Whether or not these tests are actually accurate (I disagreed with some of my results), they're still pretty fun to do.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
"Your Go style is actually the best one." :cool:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I got aggressive because I'm a suicidal jackass

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

ThePineapple posted:

I don't know if it's been posted in the thread or not, but i find breakfast's go tests pretty interesting.

http://sanrensei.info/ - Whether you would be a good san-ren-sei player

http://play.baduk.org/ - What your "real level" is

http://style.baduk.org/ - What your playing style is

Whether or not these tests are actually accurate (I disagreed with some of my results), they're still pretty fun to do.

The 'real level' test got me spot on, and now I am depressed because all the other moves looked crappy and I don't know why

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I got european 15k I'm the best

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

I got european 15k I'm the best

I got European 14k BE MY RIVAL

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Thank you! Your score is 148 from 200.
You are about European 1-dan (you can convert this grade to other ranking-systems by using this table )

sorry chumps

Fron Bolster
Apr 22, 2006
Options?
I got European 8k. Maybe I should start playing again.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
Thank you! Your score is 196 from 200.
You are about European 7-dan (you can convert this grade to other ranking-systems by using this table )

owned

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
thats a really impressively precise scale for being based on 20 5-answer questions, I was expecting it to assign like one of ten pre-described ranks

in other news Fundamentals just came in the mail, gonna be reading this over thanksgiving break

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

16k European that sounds about right

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
"You are about European 6-kyu"

I answered the first 11 or so by actually trying to get it correct and then got bored and randomly filled in the last 9

v:shobon:v

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
I got european 2 kyu Prod :( The test is rigged.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Thank you! Your score is 104 from 200.
You are about European 12-kyu

Which is apparently equivalent to KGS 7k but I was KGS 15k and have played about 5 games in the past three months so...

edit: I just selected choices randomly and got 9k :smithicide:

Cybermg fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 24, 2009

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
To hop on the bandwagon:

quote:

Thank you! Your score is 126 from 200.
You are about European 5-kyu (you can convert this grade to other ranking-systems by using this table )
Granted, I've done the test before and have seen one or two of the correct answers

Oh, also apparently I'm aggressive, but am not a good san-ren-sei player because i know how to use influence but don't like games where i must kill invasions to win.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So, I'm only about 18kyu on my best day, because I go in spurts of REALLY giving a poo poo about Go for 2 months and then not touching it for a year.
But lately, I've found a really fun way to retain interest and see things differently... teaching other people.
It feels really good to play with a 9 stone handicap and still win by 30 points. :3:
And now I have 4 people that see me as some sort of Go Savant... but of course that'll change if they keep playing for like 2 months.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Who are you on KGS? And yeah, teaching and sharing the game is a great motivator and a good feeling all around. And while playing online is invaluable in terms of exposure and experience, I find playing in real life to be much more fun, especially if you have access to a decent board.

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

Just started playing again after a couple of years of go hiatus. I moved somewhere that actually has a fairly active Go community (SF bay area), so I'm thinking of getting involved in some AGA rated tournaments and such at some point.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm DQuad on KGS, and my board is a super-awesome YMimports $100 clearance set. The stones glow green in the sunlight! :3:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Quad posted:

I'm DQuad on KGS, and my board is a super-awesome YMimports $100 clearance set. The stones glow green in the sunlight! :3:

Probably pretty similar to my set. The green-tinted black stones are Yunzi stones, which are about the next best thing to slate and shell.

Are in you ITGO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
is KGS down or did I piss off the karma police