Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Triple post, hell yes.

I just switched from Rotosounds to D'Addario half-wounds and holy loving poo poo these things rule. I ain't ne'r gon' back. They're probably twice as growly and fat as the Rotos I was using.

Rotos make some good flat and tapewound strings, but their roundwounds ALWAYS leave something to be desired. And they DIE within a VERY short time-frame.

If you like the half-wound type of sound/feel, next time you're ready to change out, look into some Ken Smith Slickrounds. http://www.juststrings.com/ksb-aa-srm.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Rotos make some good flat and tapewound strings, but their roundwounds ALWAYS leave something to be desired. And they DIE within a VERY short time-frame.

If you like the half-wound type of sound/feel, next time you're ready to change out, look into some Ken Smith Slickrounds. http://www.juststrings.com/ksb-aa-srm.html
I will have to look into that! I'm really digging the sound I'm getting from these, and I know you've recommended the slickrounds in the past; the store I was at just had the D'Addarios.

Also I found out last night that I can not only sing, but sing and play bass at the same time! :neckbeard: I'm irrationally happy about this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

Doubling your wattage has the same effect as doubling your speakers, so if you get a 3-500 watt head you could always get a second cab if you start running into situations that it can't handle.
I wanted some clarity on this, but it was late last night when I typed up that setup guide and didn't manage to stay awake to ask.

When you say "doubling your speakers", are you also talking about halving the impedence, or are you talking about maintaining impedence while doubling the number of drivers? For example, replacing a single 4-ohm 2x12 with 1 4-ohm 4x12 (doubling the number of drivers) versus adding an 8-ohm 2x12 to an existing 8-ohm 2x12 (halving impedence AND doubling drivers).

The reason I ask is because I'm a big fan of my existing 4-ohm 2x12, but I was thinking of re-wiring it to become an 8-ohm and getting another one to put on top of it (doubling the drivers but maintaining the impedence) and I was wondering if it would be a substantial improvement.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

scuz posted:

I wanted some clarity on this, but it was late last night when I typed up that setup guide and didn't manage to stay awake to ask.

When you say "doubling your speakers", are you also talking about halving the impedence, or are you talking about maintaining impedence while doubling the number of drivers? For example, replacing a single 4-ohm 2x12 with 1 4-ohm 4x12 (doubling the number of drivers) versus adding an 8-ohm 2x12 to an existing 8-ohm 2x12 (halving impedence AND doubling drivers).

The reason I ask is because I'm a big fan of my existing 4-ohm 2x12, but I was thinking of re-wiring it to become an 8-ohm and getting another one to put on top of it (doubling the drivers but maintaining the impedence) and I was wondering if it would be a substantial improvement.

When you change the impedance of your head, you change the wattage it's putting out (unless it's a tube head) so I'm only talking about one thing changing while the other stays constant.

For any fixed speaker, doubling the wattage will result in a 3dB increase in volume.
For any fixed wattage, doubling the speaker will result in a 3dB increase in volume.

So in your case making the 2x12 you have 8ohm and adding another 8ohm 2x12 would be the same as you putting 600 watts into your existing 4 ohm 2x12. Your example of either replacing a 4ohm 2x12 with a 4ohm 4x12, or replacing the 4ohm 2x12 with a pair of 8ohm 2x12's are identical - a pair of 8ohm 2x12's equals a 4ohm 4x12 (unless we're wiring the whole thing in series or something.)

Make sense?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 24, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

Make sense?
Yup! Awesome, that's what I was wondering. My current setup is 300w into a 4-ohm 2x12 and I'm toying around with the idea of a 4-ohm 4x12 setup of some kind (probably adding a 2x12 to my existing one).

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Does anyone have any amp recommendations for playing small gigs? I have played with my 75watt combo amp and it does NOT cut it at all. The lows are just not there.

It's perfectly fine for practicing and all but it barely has presence over the drums and the drums aren't even mic'd.

I don't know much about heads and cabs, but I do know you either need a combo amp or a head/cab. What is the main difference between the two setups? I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but want to have my bass heard! I'm gonna say my range is $500 max, but I also have a guitar center credit card which I'd be willing to dig out of my wallet for this :)

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For small to medium sized venues, go with 300 watts. That's my recommendation. As far as head/cab or combo is concerned - go with what sounds best to you and is most portable so it doesn't kill your back.

Personally, I use a Markbass CMD 102P. It is a Little Mark II amp and a 2x10 wrapped up in a 42 lb. combo.

Where do you live?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

I r Pat posted:

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys.
I'm gonna recommend the same thing that I recommend to nearly anyone: buy used! Keep that GC credit card in your wallet; those things hurt if you don't get everything paid-off in time.

My stack was $600; used GK 800RB and a used Avatar B212N. I can easily overpower the other two halfstacks in my band and have no problem in the clubs we've played in.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

I'm gonna recommend the same thing that I recommend to nearly anyone: buy used! Keep that GC credit card in your wallet; those things hurt if you don't get everything paid-off in time.

My stack was $600; used GK 800RB and a used Avatar B212N. I can easily overpower the other two halfstacks in my band and have no problem in the clubs we've played in.

Ditto. And the GK and 2x12 is a great setup.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Added scuz's excellent post to the OP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

scuz posted:

Yup! Awesome, that's what I was wondering. My current setup is 300w into a 4-ohm 2x12 and I'm toying around with the idea of a 4-ohm 4x12 setup of some kind (probably adding a 2x12 to my existing one).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

:fap:

How did you like yours? Whydja dump it?
edit:

thegloaming posted:

Added scuz's excellent post to the OP.
awww thanks :3:

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 24, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

scuz posted:

:fap:

How did you like yours? Whydja dump it?

I still have it. It owns. Loud, deep, punchy, loud, easy to move around (seriously, it's only 110lbs with tilt back casters - you just have to be able to tilt it into your car) and loud. As all hell.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

I still have it. It owns. Loud, deep, punchy, loud, easy to move around (seriously, it's only 110lbs with tilt back casters - you just have to be able to tilt it into your car) and loud. As all hell.
Right on. I thought you'd gotten rid of it for some reason v:shobon:v

The only thing I would have a problem with is portability; I don't wanna be "that guy" with the huge friggin' cabinet without a car to haul it around in. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to haul this around? All I have is a honda accord and I don't think it would fit. 2 2x12 cabinets would, however; I can load one in the rear seat and one in the passenger's seat.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I have a WRX wagon, but it fits in the back seat of my wife's '99 Protege sedan too. (It's a pain in the rear end to do, but it fits.) For a "fridge" it's really not that big: 45 x 23 x 17

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I was actually eye-balling that cabinet the other night. I really really like my 410+115 setup, but 2 separate cabs can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. And I'm honestly not the biggest fan of the 810 fridges. 412 seems like a good middle ground...

I'm also really wanting to try an Aggie head.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, scuz et al. I ended up finding a Hartke LH500 that should suit my needs. It's pretty simple (volume knob and 3 band eq) and the word is it's got a pretty warm old-school tone. It's got more than enough power and I got $100 off for buying a scratch and dent. I've got 45 days to make up my mind, but I think this will do nicely. Now to watch craigslist for a cab.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Narwhale posted:

Thanks for the advice, scuz et al. I ended up finding a Hartke LH500 that should suit my needs. It's pretty simple (volume knob and 3 band eq) and the word is it's got a pretty warm old-school tone. It's got more than enough power and I got $100 off for buying a scratch and dent. I've got 45 days to make up my mind, but I think this will do nicely. Now to watch craigslist for a cab.

Neat!

Check TalkBass's classifieds; there's probably a bunch of stuff on there that you'd like.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

I have a WRX wagon, but it fits in the back seat of my wife's '99 Protege sedan too. (It's a pain in the rear end to do, but it fits.) For a "fridge" it's really not that big: 45 x 23 x 17
Phew :) If I can haul the stuff around on my own, I have no qualms about hauling around huge poo poo as long as I'm not burdening my bandmates. They don't deserve such treatment :ohdear:

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 23, 2013

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 23, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Peavey stuff is great. It will live long past the point where you want it to die to justify a new purchase.

We used to joke that the keyboard player in a band I used to be in would get a signature Peavey amp, and the advertisement would be him chucking it down a staircase while some dudes in labcoats and clipboards watched and took notes. His fell down stairs, out of trucks, off stages, looked like trash, but worked perfectly for twenty years.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

combee posted:

welp;

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

+ the rest of the stuff (went with the Peavey Max 110 amp)

Nice choice!

I'm driving 60kms tonight to go pick up an Ashdown Mag 300 4x10 combo that I snagged on ebay the other day, will post some pictures tommorrow.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So in an effort to make my wee rig sound like a big wall of speakers, I've decided to go with a distortion pedal. I cannot afford a new one, however, so I traded my Danelectro Wasabi distortion to my guitarist (he gets way more use out of that thing than I ever would) for his old DS-1. In an effort to make it more bass-friendly, I have acquired a list of capacitors, diodes and resistors to replace and will be working on it soon. I'll have a change-log and photos of my progress when I finally get all the parts.

warwick5s posted:

Peavey stuff is great. It will live long past the point where you want it to die to justify a new purchase.
This is the best way to describe Peavey stuff.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

warwick5s posted:

I agree. I've never heard such an honest summary of Peavy in one sentence.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Terrible photo I know, but my room doesn't get natural light and I just lugged this loving thing up a couple flights of stairs in lovely Queensland summer weather, so it'll do for now.

My rig as it stands;
Ibanez Soundgear bass
Ashdown Mag 300 combo
Bass Big Muff Pi
Ibanez SB7
Digitech BP50

Bobby_Wokkerfella fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 26, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I threw up a couple of reviews in the review megathread; my GK 800RB and Avatar B212N. You guys should go review some stuff in there since it could use more reviews.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is cool enough for a double-post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1JGyhGKMw

It's a german dude demoing a Fender pedal known as the Sub-Lime. The fuzz tones on that monster are amazing and I've just found my new fuzz pedal. Holy poo poo, that tone! :fap:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone got any advice for singing while playing bass? I find it almost impossible to play even the simplest rhythm while singing a melody with a slightly different rhythm. I guess it just takes time to do both independently...

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

scuz posted:

This is cool enough for a double-post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1JGyhGKMw

It's a german dude demoing a Fender pedal known as the Sub-Lime. The fuzz tones on that monster are amazing and I've just found my new fuzz pedal. Holy poo poo, that tone! :fap:

Indeed, I really want to try that out, it had some good crunch at the beginning of the clip. The only thing I know I definitely don't like about that pedal is how big it is, you can see when he picks it up just how ridiculously massive it is.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
why would anyone want a 2-string bass?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Doomy posted:

The only thing I know I definitely don't like about that pedal is how big it is, you can see when he picks it up just how ridiculously massive it is.
I agree with this, I don't know what they where thinking with the design of that case. Its oversized, then there's a big dial for the fuzz control that looks like it has less than 90 degrees of movement, and every other control is buried on the sides or back. It sounded ok in that demo, so hopefully it sounds decent in real life.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

So my friend wants to learn how to play the bass, but there is only one problem: He wants to play left handed and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing righty because his right hand is partially paralyzed. He asked me what to get and, having only seen maybe one or two left-handed basses in a guitar shop, I'm left wondering what are the options for a left handed bassist that are affordable. Are the basses listed in the OP also available in lefty?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

thegloaming posted:

Anyone got any advice for singing while playing bass? I find it almost impossible to play even the simplest rhythm while singing a melody with a slightly different rhythm. I guess it just takes time to do both independently...

Bingo. It's easiest to start with songs that have a very steady single quarter-/eighth-note bass line, because it doesn't take much brain power to process that. There really is no gimmick besides practice, except maybe cutting out all but the first note until you learn both parts well. Melodic basslines can be incredibly hard for a long time.

Note that it might be easier to practice with an acoustic guitar, if you have access to one. The skill is essentially the same, but singing with strum patterns can be easier and more fun (not because acoustic guitar is easier, but because there are more songs that are conducive to practicing singing while playing).

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Side Effects posted:

So my friend wants to learn how to play the bass, but there is only one problem: He wants to play left handed and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing righty because his right hand is partially paralyzed. He asked me what to get and, having only seen maybe one or two left-handed basses in a guitar shop, I'm left wondering what are the options for a left handed bassist that are affordable. Are the basses listed in the OP also available in lefty?

Pretty much any extremely popular model of bass will be available in a left-handed version. Fender's P and Jazz Bass (or Squier facsimilies) or some kind of Ibanez are usually what you'll find in stores. It's not unusual to see only "maybe one or two left-handed basses in a guitar shop" though, that's just all they bother to carry because there isn't much demand.

Sucks for people like me who play lefty, but I was lucky enough to get a Jazz Bass and I wouldn't trade it for any other model if I had to start over again right-handed.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Side Effects posted:

So he wants the hand that is partially paralyzed to do the fretting? It would seem playing right-handed would be easier for the guy.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DrChu posted:

So he wants the hand that is partially paralyzed to do the fretting? It would seem playing right-handed would be easier for the guy.

He has a lot of trouble grasping and maintaining a grip on small objects like picks with his right hand, so I'm assuming that's what he was considering when he decided he wanted to play lefty.

Harvest Goon posted:

Pretty much any extremely popular model of bass will be available in a left-handed version. Fender's P and Jazz Bass (or Squier facsimilies) or some kind of Ibanez are usually what you'll find in stores. It's not unusual to see only "maybe one or two left-handed basses in a guitar shop" though, that's just all they bother to carry because there isn't much demand.

Thanks for the info :). Does Peavey make good basses as well? I ask because one of the left-handed models I saw was a Peavey.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

NarkyBark posted:

why would anyone want a 2-string bass?

Hahahah, same thing I was thinking as I watched that.

Awesome pedal though, it is fuzzy and funky.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That pedal could be the size of my refrigerator and I would still use it.

Also the oversized knob on the front is clearly meant for pedal tweakers who could use their foot to change the amount of fuzz they want while playing live. I love the design and can't wait to own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

scuz posted:

Also the oversized knob on the front is clearly meant for pedal tweakers who could use their foot to change the amount of fuzz they want while playing live. I love the design and can't wait to own one.

I understand that, but having such a huge dial with such a small range of travel means its gonna be hard to be precise, and considering they expect you to twist your foot to use it its gonna be awkward.