Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

junior all the way, and yours is particularly awesome. Just quit getting rid of guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Carbohydrates posted:

When I read this post, I went and pulled out the Jr, which has been sitting in its case for about a month now. It still sounds rad as gently caress, and I haven't even plugged it in. Ugggghhhh decisions

edit: Okay internet strangers, which would you rather have

In my experience, really good vintage Juniors are rare as gently caress and sound amazing. I've owned a few Jazzmasters, but I've always had to make little changes, screw with the pickups, and generally do stuff to them that kind of invalidates the vintage vibe. If this particular Jazzmaster sounds amazing, go for it if you really want to, but I'd rather have a nonvintage Jazzmaster and a vintage Junior than the reverse.

Plus Juniors are loving rock and roll in physical form.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
A guitar store around the corner from my house has a 50-something jr for like 6 grand. It looks pretty much just like that; loving AWESOME.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Jazzmaster, but you knew I was gonna say that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

warwick5s posted:

the jazzmaster but i'm definitely not a gibson guy and i think the jr's are dumb as hell, so
why's that? If it's the 'only one pickup' thing, there's a good reason for that. Check this poo poo:

Giant neck tenon, no wood removed to fit a neck pickup. It's part of why these things are absolute monsters, and why the new ones suck compared to the old ones (new ones have a short tenon joint).

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Carbohydrates posted:

When I read this post, I went and pulled out the Jr, which has been sitting in its case for about a month now. It still sounds rad as gently caress, and I haven't even plugged it in. Ugggghhhh decisions

edit: Okay internet strangers, which would you rather have

See, I would personally get this:

Agile AL2000 with P90s. Only $220 brand new and built better than cheap Gibsons or Fenders. It won't be as nice as some custom shop guitar for sure but I'd rather have one of them than a major manufacturer's low-end guitar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Carbohydrates posted:

why's that? If it's the 'only one pickup' thing, there's a good reason for that. Check this poo poo:

Giant neck tenon, no wood removed to fit a neck pickup. It's part of why these things are absolute monsters, and why the new ones suck compared to the old ones (new ones have a short tenon joint).

Nah, I love guitars that have just one back pickup, but they're typically humbucker / floyd type deals.

The Jr. is just kind of a combination of a bunch of guitar traits I don't like, that's all. :)

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Catastrophe posted:

Agile AL2000 with P90s. Only $220 brand new and built better than cheap Gibsons or Fenders. It won't be as nice as some custom shop guitar for sure but I'd rather have one of them than a major manufacturer's low-end guitar.

Oh yeah I would much rather have an Agile than a 1961 Les Paul Junior or a 1959 Jazzmaster :doh:

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Catastrophe posted:

Haha great user name / post combination.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
That has GOT to be a fakepost, good christ.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Catastrophe posted:

Ummmm

warwick5s posted:

Nah, I love guitars that have just one back pickup, but they're typically humbucker / floyd type deals.

The Jr. is just kind of a combination of a bunch of guitar traits I don't like, that's all. :)
Oh, gotcha. That's cool!

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Catastrophe posted:

:lol:, what the hell.
I love Agiles but jesus christ we're talking about a whole different echelon of guitars here.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure Catastrophe's post was a joke... (Edit: Or not, wow.)

Anyway, I think if I were you I'd just be worried about regretting the trade somewhere down the line. But you've got more experience getting rid of beautiful guitars than I do, so maybe you're just not the sort to regret these things ('79 Jazzmasters notwithstanding).

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 24, 2009

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.
Uh I'm pretty sure that '59 Jazzmaster is one of the hottest loving things I have ever seen

maybe you should get it

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

answersyouseek posted:

Oh yeah I would much rather have an Agile than a 1961 Les Paul Junior or a 1959 Jazzmaster :doh:

Oh I thought those were cheap reissues or something. Not really paying attention today. haha

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I've honestly been thinking about what I would do for the last 10 minutes. At first I was going to say go with the Jazzmaster, but there's something to be said for simplicity and sticking with what you know you love. I'd say keep the LP and stay on the lookout for a newer, cheaper Jazzmaster maybe? You already know you could love a 70's JM, but there's not really a substitute for the LP unless you go the custom shop route.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm casting my meaningless vote for the Junior, which leaves me conflicted because I'm usually a Fender fanboy. The Junior has just got this undeniable rock vibe to it, where I just want to plug it in and riff out on it all day.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I appreciate the input. You guys are giving me a lot to think about. I just don't want to end up regretting this down the road like I do the 79 JM, since this is undeniably a great example of an old Jr, and if I trade it now, I probably won't have the opportunity to get another for a looooong time.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

shuriken posted:

What's the area with the grating in between the pickups?

It's just decoration. The entire front of this guitar is molded plastic and the rest of the body is covered in latex. Upholstered would actually be a more accurate description. It's really, really strange. This guitar also has the thinnest neck I've ever seen. Sound wise though it's a lot closer to sounding like a Jazzmaster than say, a strat.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Carbohydrates, I was pissed when you got rid of that white gibson of the week one, let alone this. Casting myself for jr.

But must the decision be made now? Is that jazzmaster going anywhere soon? That looks like a photo from a shop, and guitar shops don't exactly fly through 59 JMs.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Since we're still on this subject, I'd like to throw my vote for the LP Jr. in. I don't like LP Jrs in general, but that thing is in WAY better shape than the Jazzmaster, which definitely adds to it's future value, wouldn't you say? Hold on to that thing, rent a safe for it. Let your grandchildren sell it for millions of whatever currency they use in the future and retire to their Jetson-like condos.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Since we're still on this subject, I'd like to throw my vote for the LP Jr. in. I don't like LP Jrs in general, but that thing is in WAY better shape than the Jazzmaster, which definitely adds to it's future value, wouldn't you say? Hold on to that thing, rent a safe for it. Let your grandchildren sell it for millions of whatever currency they use in the future and retire to their Jetson-like condos.

I think that Jazzmaster is in perfect shape, personally. Beat-up JMs are the best kind of JMs, in my opinion, because I can imagine that Sonic Youth or Nels Cline beat the hell out of them and made incredible sounds come out.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
you will never see another LP Jr. like that but there's a lot of jazzmasters... I'd ideally take a 90s Jap jazzmaster anyway.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
If you sell the Jr you're out of the club. You didn't know you were in a club? Well you are, and you'll be out my friend, out I tell you!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
The pic I posted isn't the exact guitar, this is:

http://i33.tinypic.com/30ndoo3.jpg

I just posted that pic because the pic I have for the JM isn't a very good quality one and I didn't want that affecting peoples' opinions. The one I'm being offered is in better condition and is bone stock.

My current thought is to keep the Jr and just save some money up so that I can buy this later down the road:

http://davesguitar.com/fender/59-thin-skin-jazzmaster-6723.asp#00576B

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
That certainly seems like the safest option. Hold on to what you've got and, if necessary, plan on buying something else down the line. At least that way you can't regret giving something up. Unless, of course, you end up regretting passing on the JM...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Another vote for the Jr.

Jazzmasters come and go, that Jr. is something you'll pass down to your kids

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Next purchase found! ThinkGeek BlipTronic 8x8 $49 mononome, http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/c4e1/, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCfhF-fNb4

Going to sound less terrible when put through a good effects chain or synthesizer filter, and it's $49! I just need to find some more people around my parts (Sweden) for a group-purchase because I can't do paypal and they don't take my bank's mastercard app.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Jazzmaster all the way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm seriously considering getting this http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100silverburst.html since you guys recommend rondo so highly. My only other electric guitar is a mexi strat, are these comparable to mexi fenders in terms of build quality?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

cat doter posted:

I'm seriously considering getting this http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100silverburst.html since you guys recommend rondo so highly. My only other electric guitar is a mexi strat, are these comparable to mexi fenders in terms of build quality?

Yeah, except they stay in tune better than bog-standard Mexican Fenders (the fancier ones have better tuners and more attention to little details). Although of the two of them, my Agile Ghost III has intensely better fit and finish than my mexi-strat from '01. In fact it has better fit and finish than any of my guitars except the three Japanese-made instruments from the mid '80s (a Charvel, a Fender and a weird, cool Electra Phoenix). They do a really nice job on all of the cuts and routs, never seen a cleaner control cavity on a guitar. And it was $199 (on sale from $299 because apparently no one else liked Natural Mahogany but me).

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Next purchase found! ThinkGeek BlipTronic 8x8 $49 mononome, http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/c4e1/, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCfhF-fNb4

Pity it doesn't have MIDI.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Computer Jones posted:

Or a whammy bar.

----
edit: Catastrophe, please keep that Jr. They get better with time.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
Hey enablers, I'm about to buy a G&L Comanche. I'm hesitating though because I'm unsure of how it will sound through my Mesa Mk III. Do you guys think it will sound as good as / better than the 50 watt rocktron I played through?

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Crosspost from rear end MEGATHREAD, but I just bought a new amp, (the pedals are pretty new too)

My rig as it stands;
Ibanez Soundgear bass
Ashdown Mag 300 combo
Bass Big Muff Pi
Ibanez SB7
Digitech BP50

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Computer Jones posted:

$49.

Even if it'll cost me another $100 to ardunio it up and hack it for midi output, all worth it.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

MrLonghair posted:

$49.

Even if it'll cost me another $100 to ardunio it up and hack it for midi output, all worth it.

Don't forget a Keytar strap. It's to hang shawls from.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Last purchase was this for my cherryburst Harmony Rocket.

Original tailpiece with screws, purchased from the guy I bought the body and neck from. Came off that guitar, too. I can even prove it.

See the red paint? Now look at the body.

Then this Tuesday I swapped the electronics and other hardware in from my brown sunburst Rocket. Added a smoked plexi pickguard that was on the sunburst one, need to get a repro of the original.

And let me say, transferring the electronics SUCKS. Everything has to come out of a hole under the selector switch, then be fed into the other body through the same hole. It was easy enough to get the volume and tone pots back in place(45 years in one place, sort of permanently shaped), but the output jack had to be shaken close to the hole, then grabbed with a screwdriver and sort of wedged into the hole until I could get the nut threaded on.

Surprisingly, this one plays better than the sunburst which was already very nice. Action can be set ridiculously low before I get any buzzing. Using the spots in the paint on the body, the bridge placement is almost dead on for intonation. I have a set of 10s on it right now, and only the G is off by any noticeable amount. Should have a wrapped G, not a plain, which I will remedy soon enough.

Kind of sad that these are now falling into the collectible category, if only because these should be played rather than sitting in someone's "vault" waiting for a payoff. Of course, I'm not going to say a damned word if someone wants to pay me too much for mine. Here's hoping these have hit the Pre-CBS Fender levels when I want to retire.

RailFan92
Nov 4, 2007
Been sleeping on a Rickenbacker 330 for about 2 years now. Finally bit the bullet just now when someone put one up for an even $1,000.

Can't loving wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Kawaii Five-O posted:

Been sleeping on a Rickenbacker 330 for about 2 years now. Finally bit the bullet just now when someone put one up for an even $1,000.

Can't loving wait.

I hate you. I have a 620, but it just doesn't compare.