Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CM Junk posted:

WM23: Best match of the card

WM21: Arguably the best match of the card

The Batista match at WrestleMania was shockingly good, but I think Cena vs. Michaels was a better match. Also, the Orton match at 21 as NOTHING compared to Angle vs. Michaels.

I agree with you, I love the Undertaker and I'm surprised how quickly a lot of people decided to start making GBS threads on him, but those two points I have a hard time agreeing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

tigerdriver82 posted:

OK this is a long shot but,

I remember watching a wrestling match when i was a kid, say about late eighties, where Mr. T and somebody else were wrestling the killer bees. The end of the match was the Bees going under the ring and coming out in their black hoods and whips then whipping Mr. T, who then got taken away in an ambulance.

Now did this is happen.
I am confusing details.
It may have not been Mr. T but another black wrestler.
It was the killer Bees though, who else wore black and yellow trunks back then.

I remember piper whipping Mr. T with his belt, so it wasn't that.

Its been driving me crazy for while now because i swear this happened

I doubt it was Mr. T because the Killer Bees and Mr. T were faces. Also, I don't recall Mr. T wrestling on a card except for the first 2 WrestleManias.

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
yeah I'm begining to doubt it was Mr. T

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Strange posted:

I'm basically saying Punk (especially heel Punk) proves Storm had a bad break, because they're really the same candy in different wrapper.

No, they aren't. Punk is much more versatile on the mic than Storm, who can only cut scathing heel promos well (Candido used to joke that Storm made up for working light by stiffing people in promos).

Hell, one of the reasons Punk made it out of the indies is because he can actually talk.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I faintly recall that the McMahons used to pay themselves a performer salary, but that they stopped a few years ago. I want to say that the Wellness Policy had something to do with this decision, but that could just have been idle speculation.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just saw a bit on the new Botchamania where Shane Douglas throws down a wrestler wearing a back and neck mechanism (no idea what its called, looks to be some sort of brace for a broken back/neck) and the entire place goes ballistic with fans jumping into the ring and whatnot - I'm assuming that was a work?

Was the guy legit injured or was the whole brace thing part of the work? Its hard for me to tell how much of it was fake and if any of it was real by the insane reaction of everyone in the building and I wasn't really around during the ECW era.

FoodStampBrown
Jul 18, 2002

"You go get your gun! And pack a lunch, you're gonna be here a while!"
Iirc it was one of the Pitbulls and yes, he was legit injured with the neckbrace on.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just saw a bit on the new Botchamania where Shane Douglas throws down a wrestler wearing a back and neck mechanism (no idea what its called, looks to be some sort of brace for a broken back/neck) and the entire place goes ballistic with fans jumping into the ring and whatnot - I'm assuming that was a work?

Was the guy legit injured or was the whole brace thing part of the work? Its hard for me to tell how much of it was fake and if any of it was real by the insane reaction of everyone in the building and I wasn't really around during the ECW era.

Pitbull #1 (Gary Wolfe) was the the guy in the halo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JpaM5rKkA

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Iskanderson posted:

I faintly recall that the McMahons used to pay themselves a performer salary, but that they stopped a few years ago. I want to say that the Wellness Policy had something to do with this decision, but that could just have been idle speculation.

I thought that was stopped when Shane McMahon's salary was turned into the beer budget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vuSiYe9i-A#t=69s

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I thought that was stopped when Shane McMahon's salary was turned into the beer budget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vuSiYe9i-A#t=69s

No wonder he resigned.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Now when you say performers salary, are we talking HBK/Orton level, or Yoshi Tatsu '18k and a carton of smokes a year' level?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Was the ring collapse at the end of Lesnar/Big Show on Smackdown back in like '03-'04 planned?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It would have to be. Think of how much weight and impact takes place in a WWE ring on a regular basis.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Wazzu posted:

I think he was referring to the entrances. My god do they give you ample time.

Everyones so quick to assume the worst. Taker might suck now but drat WM25 I think by the time Shawn got into the ring, then Taker, I coulda taken a poo poo and ordered Pizza.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jackie D posted:

Was the ring collapse at the end of Lesnar/Big Show on Smackdown back in like '03-'04 planned?

Yes.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

Pneub posted:

Now when you say performers salary, are we talking HBK/Orton level, or Yoshi Tatsu '18k and a carton of smokes a year' level?

This was answered on todays Wrestling Observer Radio. Meltzer basically said Vince used to pay himself top salary in comparison to other performers on the show as he believed regardless of which match he was in, he was drawing the buy rate. Shane slightly less so but still a good amount.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

gibsonisacripple posted:

This was answered on todays Wrestling Observer Radio. Meltzer basically said Vince used to pay himself top salary in comparison to other performers on the show as he believed regardless of which match he was in, he was drawing the buy rate. Shane slightly less so but still a good amount.

He's probably right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

gibsonisacripple posted:

This kind of makes sense, if you imagine Vince trying to justify to people. When Vince wrestled, it was usually against one of the top-stars in a storyline that had lots of TV time and build-up so he could make the claim that he was one of the head-liners and thus responsible for drawing the buy rate.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

WM21: Arguably the best match of the card

I have never seen anyone argue that. Angle-Michaels and MITB1 were much better.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

FoodStampBrown posted:

Iirc it was one of the Pitbulls and yes, he was legit injured with the neckbrace on.

Thanks!

apsouthern posted:

Pitbull #1 (Gary Wolfe) was the the guy in the halo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JpaM5rKkA

drat. I guess they really didn't have a choice other than to turn it into an angle, as tasteless as it was. Its still crazy that they'd have him thrown down while wearing one of those drilled-in neck braces though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This might be a dumb question, but did The Undertaker and The Rock ever have a really big one-on-one match?

I can't recall one but I feel like it had to have happened at some point. I know there was a triple threat with them and Angle (I think), but I was just wondering if they ever had a heavily hyped one-on-one.

The only reason I bring this up is that Rock said something about being open to working with the WWE and a short program between the two of them would be a huge money match for Wrestlemania or something.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sportsgenius86 posted:

This might be a dumb question, but did The Undertaker and The Rock ever have a really big one-on-one match?

I can't recall one but I feel like it had to have happened at some point. I know there was a triple threat with them and Angle (I think), but I was just wondering if they ever had a heavily hyped one-on-one.

The only reason I bring this up is that Rock said something about being open to working with the WWE and a short program between the two of them would be a huge money match for Wrestlemania or something.

They fought in a singles match at NWO 2002. Not sure how the match was though. Oh and at KOTR 99 and I remember it being pretty good. I'll have to pull out my Tombstone DVD and find out.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 24, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I have never seen anyone argue that. Angle-Michaels and MITB1 were much better.

I hear so many people gushing over it that you'd think it was up there. I don't disagree with you though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

sportsgenius86 posted:

They had at least one in the 90's. It was I believe Takers last championship match before Bikertaker.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The best part of that whole angle was the whole scene was during a title match between ECW Television Champion Douglas and Pitbull #2. If I remember correctly, he gets the pin on Pitbull 2. He does the whole halo-waggle thing and the whole locker room empties to kick Douglas' rear end. Douglas loving bolts and the locker room and EMTs and Heyman and everyone are in the ring, pissed off and attending to Pitbull 1.

Then Joel Gertner walks into the ring and announces proudly: "Your winner... and STILL ECW Television Champion!"

And he gets clobbered by Tod Gordon, I think. The locker room pulls Gordon off of Gertner and things calm down.

And then Gertner regains his composure and announces... "...and STILL ECW TELEVISION CHAMPION-!" And Heyman decks him and the arena goes nuts for Gertner's blood. It was great and was what made me like Joel Gertner.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Carlisle posted:

drat. I guess they really didn't have a choice other than to turn it into an angle, as tasteless as it was. Its still crazy that they'd have him thrown down while wearing one of those drilled-in neck braces though.

Gare Wolfe was pretty well healed by the time that happened. The halo was probably a prop by that point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

:hfive:

He even made "Calgary... Alberta, Canada!" into a pretty entertaining phrase. I'd like to think that if WCW lasted another 2-3 years, Storm would've been a former World champion.
Storm had a credible shot at the belt. He won three championships in three weeks, then challenged for the world belt in one of the best loving matches I've ever seen. Ever. The whole crowd actually believed he could beat Booker T. It was probably the best Nitro post '98.

I'll never be able to totally hate Johnny Ace because he and Ferrarra were covering for Russo those couple months when Lance Storm was awesome. Then Russo came back and booked New Blood Rising and neutered Storm.

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
Hi, I have a few questions. I recently stumbled across this collection of interviews with the McMahons by what I believe is congress (I'm not from the US) after the whole Benoit affair:

http://oversight.house.gov/index.ph...:investigations

If that website does not come up correctly, just search for "stephanie mcmahon" on that website.

Apart from the very amusing Vince McMahon interview, which in part reads like he's cutting a promo to congress (verbatim "I'm the chairman. Do we have to go through this rigamarole? Why don't you just get to the meat of it? You know who I am, you know what my position is. Why don't we just get to it?") there is an interview with Stephanie McMahon where she doesn't look too good in my opinion. The court reporter also believes there is a wrestler called "The Great Collie" but I digress.

From the interview (file 20081231140942.pdf, page 9):

quote:

Q Do the talent typically care about, you know, which division they are featured in?
A No. There was only one issue that we had, and that was with a top star who had on Tuesday was his religious day with his family. He is a born‐again, and I am not sure of the right words. Those are my words.
Q Sure.
A So he is very, very religious, and he felt that he could not do the Tuesday show because he needed to be at home with his family. So we did not make that switch, even though it would have really helped our product.

Is that Shawn Michaels?

quote:

But the basic touring schedule when we are domestic is Raw tours Friday, Saturday, Sunday, with the live show on Monday. SmackDown and ECW tour together. They tour Saturday, Sunday, Monday, with the live show on Tuesday.

Does this mean there are, if I'm reading this correct, 2 or 3 identical RAWs per week of which only one is filmed? Or are the house shows not billed as RAW shows?

quote:

A No, not necessarily. I mean we have a guy right now that is a really big, fat, bloppy guy. I mean, that's the only, really, way to describe him; and I shouldn't say his name now because it's going to be on record.
He is a spectacle. He is an attraction.

There are some attractions that we certainly look for in our business. I mean, we have a giant, a giant colleague right now. We have a midget ‐‐ a little person, sorry.

Considering this was after the Benoit case, who is she talking about? Mark Henry?

quote:

A And talent ‐‐ there is only, as of right now, we only allow two people to do pile drivers. And they are two of the stronger guys, superstars who have done these maneuvers for a long time, really know how to do them safely. They are very rare. They have to be approved. Pile drivers, chair shots, everything has to be approved, and it is all approved by Vince.

I know the Undertaker does a piledriver, who is the second guy? Are there any other moves considered "banned" because they're too dangerous? Is the shooting star press from the top rope banned?

And, just to end my string of questions, a choice quote from the McMahon interview:

quote:

Q Mr. McMahon do you have any idea why somebody would tell us something like that?
A Yes, I do.
Q Okay. Can you share it with us?
A Insanity.
Q No other reason?
A Insanity.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Perry posted:

I know the Undertaker does a piledriver, who is the second guy? Are there any other moves considered "banned" because they're too dangerous? Is the shooting star press from the top rope banned?

My bet is Kane, since he used the Tombstone for a while, and since Evan Bourne's finisher is a SSP from the top rope, no, it's not banned.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The bloppy guy was Big Daddy V.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Perry posted:

Is that Shawn Michaels?

Does this mean there are, if I'm reading this correct, 2 or 3 identical RAWs per week of which only one is filmed? Or are the house shows not billed as RAW shows?

Considering this was after the Benoit case, who is she talking about? Mark Henry?

Yes; no—the house shows are not identical, they tend to showcase some random matches, some test matches (things we might see later on TV, but need tuning), and some cool poo poo for the fans (title changes, etc.,) they are billed as RAW Live Events; Big Daddy Five; Lawler does one, and Kane does the Tombstone too, nope—Bourne does one.

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
Thank you all. I had this thing in my head where a super heavyweight - I wanna say Brock Lesnar - launched an SSP half a rotation short and landed on his neck, ending his career, but I just googled Lesnar and he's in MMA at the moment so he's still able to use his legs. Who was I thinking of (and erroneously thinking that this made the move a banned move) then?

Edit: Wait a second Jerry Lawler, the guy who is now a commentator, can do a piledriver? Like, in a booked scenario today?! Could he even lift someone who's not cruiserweight anymore, let alone do the drop without slipping the shoulders down the knees?

Edit 2: Thank you guys posting below. I had that mixed up somehow.

Perry fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 25, 2009

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Perry posted:

Thank you all. I had this thing in my head where a super heavyweight - I wanna say Brock Lesnar - launched an SSP half a rotation short and landed on his neck, ending his career, but I just googled Lesnar and he's in MMA at the moment so he's still able to use his legs. Who was I thinking of (and erroneously thinking that this made the move a banned move) then?

Lesnar did gently caress up an SSP once, but he's fine. Just concussed.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Perry posted:

It was Brock at WM 19 but he didn't get paralyzed, just dazed.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Shawn Michaels and Tommy Dreamer have done piledrivers in the last 3 years.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

BlueArmyMan posted:

My bet is Kane, since he used the Tombstone for a while, and since Evan Bourne's finisher is a SSP from the top rope, no, it's not banned.
It was was a while after Kidman smashed in Chavo's face with it. I remember they made it into a storyline and poo poo. Also Lesnar landing on his head.
e: Was it Kidman or London? I can't remember now.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

battlemonk posted:

Lesnar did gently caress up an SSP once, but he's fine. Just concussed.

Going by what I've seen elsewhere in this forum, I wouldn't describe Lesnar's current physical condition as "fine", but you're correct in stating that the botched SSP didn't cause him any lasting damage.

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
Again, thank you. So if I ever get to the states and there just so happens to be a, say, RAW show nearby, do they charge extra for the live show as compared to the house shows? Are the house shows subsidized or something? And do people bring signs there / give a poo poo about pops knowing there are no cameras around?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Perry posted:

Again, thank you. So if I ever get to the states and there just so happens to be a, say, RAW show nearby, do they charge extra for the live show as compared to the house shows? Are the house shows subsidized or something? And do people bring signs there / give a poo poo about pops knowing there are no cameras around?

House shows are generally cheaper because they're in smaller markets, and lots of people bring signs just to support the wrestlers, knowing there aren't any cameras. And this may shock you, but Jerry Lawler still wrestles, just not in WWE. He's very fit for his age. No wrestler has been paralyzed from a botched SSP, but Japanese wrestler Hayabusa did get paralyzed botching a Quedabra (Basically a lionsault) when he landed on the back of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Perry posted:

The last couple house shows I was at were billed as Raw-brand house shows, though they weren't identical even over the course of a weekend. House shows are often used to work out the kinks in upcoming televised or PPV matches, though.

quote:

I know the Undertaker does a piledriver, who is the second guy?
Kane also has done the occasional tombstone, though I can't recall it happening recently.