Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
Okay, I am astonished.

One last thing: I recently bought the Smackdown 1999-2009 DVD and about half of the top 100 seem to be about Kurt Angle.

Does the WWE have an axe to grind with Kurt Angle because he's in TNA? I mean some of these clips - although this might be subjective perception - seemed to not portray him in a good light. Or did Kurt Angle basically main event Smackdown for half a decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Shawn Michaels and Tommy Dreamer have done piledrivers in the last 3 years.

Yeah, Michaels is the second guy they trust with piledrivers.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Perry posted:

Okay, I am astonished.

One last thing: I recently bought the Smackdown 1999-2009 DVD and about half of the top 100 seem to be about Kurt Angle.

Does the WWE have an axe to grind with Kurt Angle because he's in TNA? I mean some of these clips - although this might be subjective perception - seemed to not portray him in a good light. Or did Kurt Angle basically main event Smackdown for half a decade?

Kurt Angle basically main evented SD.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Perry posted:

Okay, I am astonished.

Kurt Angle main-evented SD, and also left the company because of a painkiller addiction. The WWE wanted him to take time off for rehab and rest, and he refused. So, for his own well-being, he was fired. Naturally, he almost immediately went to work for TNA.

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
Thank you all, that cleared a lot of things up. Here's Vince McMahon to play me out.

quote:

Mr. Leviss. What about ‐‐ some of his work received coverage in a number of other more mainstream outlets, for example, Sports Illustrated. I believe Frank Deford did a story on the Meltzer numbers. Are you familiar with that?
Mr. McMahon. Look, I've borrowed one of Frank Deford's shoes one night. He doesn't like me.
Mr. Leviss. Are you familiar with his story?
Mr. McMahon. No. Other than Frank Deford wrote something derogatory. But, you know, he has no sense of humor and he doesn't like me. We were bowling one night and I borrowed one of his shoes and he never found it. And so he had to walk home in a bowling shoe and one of his others, and he was upset about that I understand.
Mr. Leviss. I'm going to have to note that would be upsetting too.
Mr. O'Neil. Now we know the rest of the story.
Mr. McDevitt. You're hearing something for the first time, too. I never heard that one.
Mr. McMahon. Well, actually I also borrowed one of his wife's shoes, too.
Mr. McDevitt. That's a whole different story.
Mr. McMahon. I left that part out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McMahon you glorious bastard.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

In an interview with wrestlecast radio for the sun, Mr. Kennedy said Vince told him the only guys allowed to do piledrivers were Taker and Kane.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Perry posted:

Thank you all, that cleared a lot of things up. Here's Vince McMahon to play me out.

I imagine Vince powerstrutting out of Frank Deford's house with the biggest poo poo eating grin ever.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Kane tombstoned Miz either this year or last year during that thing with Kelly Kelly.

CaptainRapesAlot
Jul 25, 2007

Drivin' down the road,
lookin' for a Waffle House,
and drinkin' lots of Wild Turkey
So this is a short, stupid little question, but I was watching some old Smokey Mountain Wrestling tapes and they had a match where Jim Cornette interfered and hit some old, fat guy with a tennis racket.

Was there any explanation WHY he used a tennis racket? Because that seems like such a weird choice for a weapon :iiam:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

So this is a short, stupid little question, but I was watching some old Smokey Mountain Wrestling tapes and they had a match where Jim Cornette interfered and hit some old, fat guy with a tennis racket.

Was there any explanation WHY he used a tennis racket? Because that seems like such a weird choice for a weapon :iiam:

From Yahoo answers, so take with a grain of salt,
"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If I remember correctly, his original purpose for the tennis racket was to protect himself from rowdy and unruly fans. This was back in the "old days" when heels often had to fight their way through the crowds back to the locker room to escape their wrath. Cornette was especially effective at riling up the fans and used the tennis racket to keep their hands off of him and the Midnight Express.
6 months ago "

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

McMahon you glorious bastard.
i would kill for a devitt interview.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

battlemonk posted:

Lesnar did gently caress up an SSP once, but he's fine. Just concussed.

Unless you consider that concussion damage can be permanent, and the leading cause of major surgery for wrestlers is sustained damage to the neck, rivaled only by their knees. I wouldn't be surprised if this incident and the work schedule contributed greatly to Brock's decision to leave WWE.

After the WM 19 match in which this happened he was legitimately hosed up and really didn't know where he was or what he was doing. That isn't "dazed."

(Lesnar's current physical ailments have nothing to do with wrestling).

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Unless you consider that concussion damage can be permanent, and the leading cause of major surgery for wrestlers is sustained damage to the neck, rivaled only by their knees. I wouldn't be surprised if this incident and the work schedule contributed greatly to Brock's decision to leave WWE.

After the WM 19 match in which this happened he was legitimately hosed up and really didn't know where he was or what he was doing. That isn't "dazed."

(Lesnar's current physical ailments have nothing to do with wrestling).

Yeah, I mean, he certainly wasn't in good shape—I recall him saying that he had no idea that he finished the match or anything, just a gap from the SSP to being looked at in the back or something like that.

However, he's not paralyzed, brain-dead, or anything catastrophic.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Perry posted:

That McMahon quote only raises further questions about that meeting:

- Can you imagine going bowling with Vince McMahon? I'd like to imagine the power walk being used after ever spare pickup and strike.

- What if Deford really did grind an axe in Sports Illustrated because Vince lost/stole one of his and his wife's shoes? "That McMahon prick. I'll show HIM!"

- I'd really like to think that Vince is like a high-profile version of Creed Bratton from "The Office," and steals one thing from every place he visits. I've interviewed Vince before, and now that I think about it, I did get a Creed vibe from him. Friendly, out of touch but really shady. He told me that he didn't watch or follow any news about MMA on CBS when all that hoopla was occurring. I thought he was full of poo poo on that one.

Here's an actual question: Whose fault is it when a wrestler misses a run-in? Take for example Wrestlemania 8, where Papa Shango was supposed to interrupt Hogan/Justice. Nobody interrupts Hogan's big boot/leg drop/pin, Justice half-heartedly kicks out, knowing someone missed their mark, Whippleman is the actual cause of the DQ just by standing on the ring apron, and Shango slinks out to the ring while this is unfolding.

Is this Shango's fault, or was the person in the Gorilla position supposed to tell him when to go and failed to do that properly? I imagine wrestlers don't just go out when they feel like they are supposed, but there's a stage manager working traffic in the back, right?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

AKA Driver posted:

That McMahon quote only raises further questions about that meeting:

- Can you imagine going bowling with Vince McMahon? I'd like to imagine the power walk being used after ever spare pickup and strike.

- What if Deford really did grind an axe in Sports Illustrated because Vince lost/stole one of his and his wife's shoes? "That McMahon prick. I'll show HIM!"

- I'd really like to think that Vince is like a high-profile version of Creed Bratton from "The Office," and steals one thing from every place he visits. I've interviewed Vince before, and now that I think about it, I did get a Creed vibe from him. Friendly, out of touch but really shady. He told me that he didn't watch or follow any news about MMA on CBS when all that hoopla was occurring. I thought he was full of poo poo on that one.

Here's an actual question: Whose fault is it when a wrestler misses a run-in? Take for example Wrestlemania 8, where Papa Shango was supposed to interrupt Hogan/Justice. Nobody interrupts Hogan's big boot/leg drop/pin, Justice half-heartedly kicks out, knowing someone missed their mark, Whippleman is the actual cause of the DQ just by standing on the ring apron, and Shango slinks out to the ring while this is unfolding.

Is this Shango's fault, or was the person in the Gorilla position supposed to tell him when to go and failed to do that properly? I imagine wrestlers don't just go out when they feel like they are supposed, but there's a stage manager working traffic in the back, right?

usually its a combination of the timekeeper and the wrestler responsible for doing the run-in.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Perry posted:

Edit: Wait a second Jerry Lawler, the guy who is now a commentator, can do a piledriver? Like, in a booked scenario today?! Could he even lift someone who's not cruiserweight anymore, let alone do the drop without slipping the shoulders down the knees?

He has the occasional match every now and then, but I'm not really sure how often he still breaks out the piledriver in WWE matches. The major move I see him use in matches normally is the jumping punch from the second rope.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dreamer occasionally busts out the piledriver too.

BurnHTML
Feb 18, 2003

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

It was was a while after Kidman smashed in Chavo's face with it. I remember they made it into a storyline and poo poo. Also Lesnar landing on his head.
e: Was it Kidman or London? I can't remember now.

I do believe it was Kidman. For some reason after a certain point, Kidman was just not accurate AT ALL with the SSP. It was never perfect but at least he wasn't a complete danger to everyone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

BurnHTML posted:

I do believe it was Kidman. For some reason after a certain point, Kidman was just not accurate AT ALL with the SSP. It was never perfect but at least he wasn't a complete danger to everyone.

He got fat. After going to WWE, because he was a skinny guy, he tried to bulk up to impress creative. He didn't carry the weight well, and more importantly it slowed him down. He was never the same worker after.

CM Junk posted:

He has the occasional match every now and then, but I'm not really sure how often he still breaks out the piledriver in WWE matches. The major move I see him use in matches normally is the jumping punch from the second rope.

Lawler wrestles on a weekly basis, just on the indies. Pretty sure he uses the piledriver most of the time, the reason he doesn't use it in WWE is because piledrivers are banned. Unless you're the Undertaker and it's a special occasion.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

From Yahoo answers, so take with a grain of salt,
"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If I remember correctly, his original purpose for the tennis racket was to protect himself from rowdy and unruly fans. This was back in the "old days" when heels often had to fight their way through the crowds back to the locker room to escape their wrath. Cornette was especially effective at riling up the fans and used the tennis racket to keep their hands off of him and the Midnight Express.
6 months ago "

That's mostly right. He needed something to defent himself with, and a tennis racket worked in two ways. First, it fit his spoiled rich mama's boy image. Second, there was no accepted way to hit someone with a racket. That meant he could hit wrestlers in ways that didn't hurt them. One of his pet peeves was people using a baseball bat and not swinging it like a bat, which looked fake.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
My understanding is that Undertaker and Kane have free reign to use the Tombstone while anyone else has to ask permission to use a piledriver in a match. I was told that Kane rarely uses it now because it was really messing his knees up.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

When's the last time Jericho hit a lionsault?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
a week ago

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FishBulb posted:

a week ago

This reminds me of Flair's last couple years in WWE, when he hit the move off the top rope about 10 matches in a row yet people were astonished every time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

This reminds me of Flair's last couple years in WWE, when he hit the move off the top rope about 10 matches in a row yet people were astonished every time.
That's not true at all and you know it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

WeaselWeaz posted:

That's mostly right. He needed something to defent himself with, and a tennis racket worked in two ways. First, it fit his spoiled rich mama's boy image. Second, there was no accepted way to hit someone with a racket. That meant he could hit wrestlers in ways that didn't hurt them. One of his pet peeves was people using a baseball bat and not swinging it like a bat, which looked fake.

That's why the sledgehammer always looks kinda goofy. It's designed for swinging, not for poking.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Althought it's wielded strangely, sledgehammer still beats tennis racket.

I'm suprised no-one's used a plastic retractable knife. Stabbings = ratings.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

reality_groove posted:

"I think hes trying to trim his beard!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

reality_groove posted:

Triple H has used a screwdriver, which is just mean.

Rally Millar
Aug 2, 2006

Who needs a rally monkey?
When did HBK and Undertaker become permanent faces? Even when Shawn plays a heel he still gets a face pop(except Montreal??) and I haven't watched Smackdown long enough to remember the last time Taker getting any heel heat.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Rally Millar posted:

When did HBK and Undertaker become permanent faces? Even when Shawn plays a heel he still gets a face pop(except Montreal??) and I haven't watched Smackdown long enough to remember the last time Taker getting any heel heat.

I think the last time Taker was a heel was in 2002.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control

Nibble posted:

That's why the sledgehammer always looks kinda goofy. It's designed for swinging, not for poking.

Didn't Triple H swing the sledgehammer and break it over Vince's back?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rally Millar posted:

When you've been a veteran/legend for that long and you're still around, at a certain point, it becomes awful hard to make fans boo you. This is more for the Undertaker, though--the whole Undertaker gimmick is "I pick a guy, assault him, and leave," the only time they successfully made him a heel in the 21st century involved stripping that away entirely and making him an evil biker who was anal-retentive about respect and made leather jackets out of people and such. It'd be pretty hard to get people to boo the present, classic-style Undertaker.

As for Michaels, the fans want to like him because he's Shawn Michaels, he moves face merch becuase he's Shawn Michaels, and there really isn't a face they can heel him up against. No one can get full-blown heel heat against Cena anymore due to the part of the fanbase that wants his blood, so the only main-event face he could turn on for any reaction would be Triple H, and that's only slightly better. That being said, if Michaels really wants to be a heel, he'll find a way. He can pull it off.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

When you've been a veteran/legend for that long and you're still around, at a certain point, it becomes awful hard to make fans boo you. This is more for the Undertaker, though--the whole Undertaker gimmick is "I pick a guy, assault him, and leave," the only time they successfully made him a heel in the 21st century involved stripping that away entirely and making him an evil biker who was anal-retentive about respect and made leather jackets out of people and such. It'd be pretty hard to get people to boo the present, classic-style Undertaker.

As for Michaels, the fans want to like him because he's Shawn Michaels, he moves face merch becuase he's Shawn Michaels, and there really isn't a face they can heel him up against. No one can get full-blown heel heat against Cena anymore due to the part of the fanbase that wants his blood, so the only main-event face he could turn on for any reaction would be Triple H, and that's only slightly better. That being said, if Michaels really wants to be a heel, he'll find a way. He can pull it off.

See the Bret Hart promo in Canada. God drat, the heat.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Whats the song on that Summer of Love video stickied at the top of the forum?

Has there ever been a Welsh professional wrestler? I want a UK stable.

What does the timekeeper actually do?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

reality_groove posted:

Whats the song on that Summer of Love video stickied at the top of the forum?

Has there ever been a Welsh professional wrestler? I want a UK stable.

What does the timekeeper actually do?

1. Wake up- Arcade Fire

2. Rob Terry and Dopple-tista are welsh

3. Rings the fuckin bell

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See the Bret Hart promo in Canada. God drat, the heat.

That's a pretty special circumstance though...Michaels can get heel heat in Canada without much effort. I also remember the MSG crowd booing him pretty heavily at WM 20. Other than that, he's been a pretty permanent face since he came back from his back injury. It's just hard to boo a guy who is still the best overall performer in the company even after he had a near-career ending injury.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

reality_groove posted:

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

Probably does more, but thats all I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Perry posted:

Hi, I have a few questions. I recently stumbled across this collection of interviews with the McMahons by what I believe is congress.....

I read parts of a couple of these. I have this awesome vision in my head of the Rock giving one of these Congressional interviews in full character.