Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a pretty special circumstance though...Michaels can get heel heat in Canada without much effort. I also remember the MSG crowd booing him pretty heavily at WM 20. Other than that, he's been a pretty permanent face since he came back from his back injury. It's just hard to boo a guy who is still the best overall performer in the company even after he had a near-career ending injury.

Eh, you're not wrong, I guess it's less "Shawn can still pull off being a heel" as it is "Shawn can pull off being a tremendous tremendous dick" which doesn't always get booed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Perry posted:

Thank you all, that cleared a lot of things up. Here's Vince McMahon to play me out.

For reasons unknown, I feel like I just read a really dirty joke.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

reality_groove posted:

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

Look excited and look like you're about to ring the bell for every nearfall.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

HulkaMatt posted:

Hope Kane doesn't get mad about anything.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Also keep the time in time-limit matches. Or any match where they put in "rounds" for some reason.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Accept that in the order of people to be thrown around by monster heels, you're above the cameraman, but still below announcers, even Cole.

Also, remember that when a wrestler asks for your chair (or your tiny, deadly hammer) that he isn't really asking.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

HulkaMatt posted:

Like this?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

You'll also once in a while get your head loving kicked off by Shawn Michaels.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

apsouthern posted:

Like this?

Are you telling me there's a separate, microphoneless timekeeper's bell for use in matches?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

apsouthern posted:

Like this?

Look. You know drat well they get that poo poo wrong.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a pretty special circumstance though...Michaels can get heel heat in Canada without much effort. I also remember the MSG crowd booing him pretty heavily at WM 20. Other than that, he's been a pretty permanent face since he came back from his back injury. It's just hard to boo a guy who is still the best overall performer in the company even after he had a near-career ending injury.

Everyone always talks about HBK's Bret Hart promo in Canada and rightly so. But there was two other awesome heel promos that Shawn did in the same month that people seem to have forgotten about. In one of them, in a debate format, Shawn completely destroyed Hogan on the mic directly to his face. He was downright vicious and came out as if he was trying to bury Hogan's real life character.

It should be remembered more than their Summerslam match with Shawn's overselling, but for some reason it isn't. It's a shame I can't find it on youtube. I might have to put it on there one day.

Shawn would have no problem at all with getting heel heat anywhere if he really wanted to be a heel.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 26, 2009

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CarlCX posted:

When you've been a veteran/legend for that long and you're still around, at a certain point, it becomes awful hard to make fans boo you.

Kane heat?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Grant DaNasty posted:

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Off the top of my head-Umaga?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Grant DaNasty posted:

Bob Holly? Faarooq?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Farooq, Bob Holly, and Umaga all had at least action figures before they got title shots.

Farooq's title shot was at King of the Ring 1997. He blamed the loss on the Nation of Domination and he fired Clarence, Crush, and Savio, so this toy set was from before his title shot.

Bob Holly's title shot was at Royal Rumble 2004. This action figure was from 1999.

Umaga's title shot was at Royal Rumble 2007. This action figure is from Cyber Sunday 2006 because he had his "Samoa" tattoo by Cyber Sunday 2007.

Yes I'm very bored.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 26, 2009

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When did Farooq Asad get a title shot?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

When did Farooq Asad get a title shot?

King of the Ring 1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Ring#1997

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
From the CM Punk promo on Monday I have to admit that I might actually be living under a rock or just behind on the times or something, so I ask, how prominent is the Straight Edge lifestyle in the US?

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

From the CM Punk promo on Monday I have to admit that I might actually be living under a rock or just behind on the times or something, so I ask, how prominent is the Straight Edge lifestyle in the US?

it's a small subset of hardcore kids, like it always was. when other people abstain from substances etc, it's just called "being uptight"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Meat Recital posted:

Are you telling me there's a separate, microphoneless timekeeper's bell for use in matches?

To add; It has a sticker on it that says "Title". That implies to me that there is a SEPERATE bell for title and non-title matches. Title-match bell is holding Non-title-match bell down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SiKboy posted:

To add; It has a sticker on it that says "Title". That implies to me that there is a SEPERATE bell for title and non-title matches. Title-match bell is holding Non-title-match bell down.

Whatever could be the reason for having two seperate bells?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

SiKboy posted:

Title-match bell is the HHH/John Cena of ring bells. I knew it!

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

SiKboy posted:

Non title match bell is in the doghouse

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rockfish posted:

when other people abstain from substances etc, it's just called "being uptight"

Or just being ordinary people who for whatever reason abstain from substances and don't make a big deal (or any deal) out of it whatsoever.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Or just being ordinary people who for whatever reason abstain from substances and don't make a big deal (or any deal) out of it whatsoever.

Yeah, and "I try to be sensible with the substances I put into my body because I'm not too keen on the bodily reactions they cause and I'm better than you :colbert:" doesn't have as much of a ring to it.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That's what he said :smug:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jerusalem posted:

But I AM better than them.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

reality_groove posted:

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

They're usually part of the ring crew or office. I think Mark Yeaton does stuff managing merch sellers at arenas. Ring announcers often had a similar thing. Howard Finkel was part of the office after becoming full-time announcer and Tony Chimmel is head of the ring crew.

oldpainless posted:

Whatever could be the reason for having two seperate bells?

One's gimmicked.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is wrestling considered easier to do athletically than football? The Rock became a Pro Wrestler after his football career was cut short, and Brock Lesnar quit wrestling to try to be a Minnesota Viking. I wouldn't think that's the case since you lift people and whatnot but I'm curious.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

football has an offseason.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Football players also get to wear pads and helmets.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

Is wrestling considered easier to do athletically than football? The Rock became a Pro Wrestler after his football career was cut short, and Brock Lesnar quit wrestling to try to be a Minnesota Viking. I wouldn't think that's the case since you lift people and whatnot but I'm curious.

Athletic ability is only one of many criteria for being a successful wrestler but it's the only criteria for being a successful football player. There have been plenty of wrestlers with little to no 'athletic' ability that have become successful by entertaining the fans in other ways. On the other hand, making a professional football teams roster requires you to simply be faster, stronger and more skilled than everybody else who wants that job. Kickers dont count and never will.

If the question was supposed to be 'which is harder overall to succeed at' then that's a different story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

Athletic ability is only one of many criteria for being a successful wrestler but it's the only criteria for being a successful football player. There have been plenty of wrestlers with little to no 'athletic' ability that have become successful by entertaining the fans in other ways. On the other hand, making a professional football teams roster requires you to simply be faster, stronger and more skilled than everybody else who wants that job. Kickers dont count and never will.

If the question was supposed to be 'which is harder overall to succeed at' then that's a different story.

Football is harder.

Brock was world champ within six months of debuting in professional wrestling.

He never made it in the NFL.

I rest my case.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

harder athletically, wrestling wins. just look at the amount of deaths under age 40 and the amount of people who've had to have that spinal fusion surgery in WWE alone. to succeed in, football by a mile. wrestling relies more on politics and knowing the right dude than actual wrestling ability. football is all skill.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok. Possibly the dumbest question of all time.

Was the WWF ever an actual "federation" in the true sense of the word (small companies getting together as a unit)like the NWA or was it just a name to make it sound good?

If the latter's the case, then WWE is probably a more accurate, if dumber sounding, name for the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Certain football positions are harder on the body than wrestling. There are some players from the 70s and 80s who are worse off than wrestlers from that era, and had a much shorter career than guys like Hogan who wrestled a safe style but did it for 25 years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hey, what is the deal with Jesse Ventura's commentary on some of the videos? Sometimes he is on there but other times, like on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, you can plainly see Jesse at ringside talking and moving but it is all blanked out and only JR commentates. Does anyone know the reason for this?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Hey, what is the deal with Jesse Ventura's commentary on some of the videos? Sometimes he is on there but other times, like on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, you can plainly see Jesse at ringside talking and moving but it is all blanked out and only JR commentates. Does anyone know the reason for this?

vince didn't want to pay jesse royalty fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

dusty udder smoker posted:

vince didn't want to pay jesse royalty fees.

But doesn't he have to pay royalty fees to anyone who ever commentated then? What makes Jesse such a special case? Did he want like ten times as much as anyone else?