Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

This game I think was for the Genesis, but it could have been for the Master System.

You were given a grid, and could ride along the lines. Your object was to ride along all the lines, thereby lighting them up.

Zoom! on the Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lotish posted:

I'm not sure how wide the distribution on this particular arcade game was, but when I was a child in Germany, the local base-exchange had a four player beat-em-up side scroller where you played four different palettes of the same basic model of a guy in jeans and a T-shirt, each one colored to look like a different race (I believe). The left most player was traditional white guy in a white shirt with blond hair, and one of the other characters was a black dude in orange and brown. The gameplay left a big blank on my mind, but I remember you didn't have a health bar--you started out with 9999 health and it counted down at light speed, and each time you got hit you lost a chunk of your counter, so it was pretty much impossible to beat one a single quarter since you would simply run out of life and die, as if you're doing all this fighting while suffering from a hemorrhage.

Anyone else inflict this on themselves as a kid?

Your life doesn't continually run out in it, but could this be Crime Fighters? Mostly Konami and Data East beat'em ups used the numerical "life meter," so that might be a good place to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFldTiclIoE

CalX
Jul 22, 2007
it is an old 3d game, windows 95 era, with some kind of day/night cycle where a wolf type monster comes and tracks you down when you run out of time. kind of creepy horror vibe. there were no words in the game, but there were items or things you could pick up. the game seemed very hard and frustrating. it was not very polished and i think it might be kind of an independent game.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, here's a one that's been puzzling me for years:

Down at the ol' Putt Putt Golf & Games off of State Route 48 a little north of Dayton, Ohio there was a two-seat racing game. The game itself ran on an engine similar to SEGA's Hang-On and Super Monaco series, and featured off-roadish-looking vehicles. The most notable feature I remember is that there were two triggers on the back side of the steering wheel like an XBox360 controller and you could fire some small, lovely looking fireballs to slow down your opponents.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Septimus posted:

Zoom! on the Genesis.

Yes, exactly! Thanks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Orange Mage posted:

Down at the ol' Putt Putt Golf & Games off of State Route 48 a little north of Dayton, Ohio there was a two-seat racing game. The game itself ran on an engine similar to SEGA's Hang-On and Super Monaco series, and featured off-roadish-looking vehicles. The most notable feature I remember is that there were two triggers on the back side of the steering wheel like an XBox360 controller and you could fire some small, lovely looking fireballs to slow down your opponents.

This game was total ownage when it was new like T-Mek, it's called Road Riot.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
Here's one:

-It was sort of like Oregon Trail, only you were a fur trapper boating your way through the Great Lakes, trying to reach your destination before winter.
-It's an oldie, as I remember playing it on my Commodore 64. Definitely came on 5-1/4" floppy, don't know about tape.
-There were portages, which were like river crossings in Oregon Trail.
-One of the last locations was "Sault Ste. Marie."
-There was this bitching animation of arrows raining down if you happened to piss off the natives.
-Sometimes the natives would be sneaky and give you poisoned berries, at which point a Frenchman in your crew would say, "Sacre!"

British Bee
Nov 4, 2009
There was an old PS2 game that I used to play where you controlled a blue and yellow lizard that mistakenly fell into some other world and had to travel through the world to beat the big evil guy at the end. You could morph into different forms depending on the level, like a ball so you could roll around or a big creature with wings. Probably not too specific, but I can't remember the name of the game at all and it's really starting to annoy me. I had endless fun with it.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

British Bee posted:

There was an old PS2 game that I used to play where you controlled a blue and yellow lizard that mistakenly fell into some other world and had to travel through the world to beat the big evil guy at the end. You could morph into different forms depending on the level, like a ball so you could roll around or a big creature with wings. Probably not too specific, but I can't remember the name of the game at all and it's really starting to annoy me. I had endless fun with it.

That sounds like Scaler, probably.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Orange Mage posted:

Is it Road Riot 4WD?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

CalX posted:

it is an old 3d game, windows 95 era, with some kind of day/night cycle where a wolf type monster comes and tracks you down when you run out of time. kind of creepy horror vibe. there were no words in the game, but there were items or things you could pick up. the game seemed very hard and frustrating. it was not very polished and i think it might be kind of an independent game.

I think Ecstatica had a wolf monster chase you at night, but I can't be sure.

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.
Sorry if it got answered the last time I asked it, but I missed it and it was over a year ago if it did get answered.

There was this game in arcades in the early '90s that was an Asteroids clone (I think, possible it was a Sinistar clone, but I'm leaning towards Asteroids) and it had this weird, fugly living planetoid thing with crater-like trunks that I think it used to shoot stuff at you. That thing scared the living poo poo out of me as a kid, so I'd like to know what game it was for posterity. The graphics were, IIRC, around the level of a 16 bit console.

The Fifteenth Pen fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2009

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Blasteroids.

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...

The Walrus posted:

It was a 2.5D first person shooter type game that you saw on a lot of those "50 GAMES IN ONE" shareware packages, like Wacky Races. I don't remember much about it at all other than:

- Bright, garish colour scheme, mainly green I think
- I seem to think it took place in a trailer park kind of environment.. maybe..
- I think there was one weapon that shot eggs
- I think you bought stuff at vending machines
- It was bad. Really, really bad. Dire.

I don't really have any reason for wanting to know the name of this game other than to look at some pictures of it and be nostalgic.

Was it H.U.R.L.?

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

Guerrilla Warfare posted:

There was a PS2 mech game that I only remember from a Judgement Day review. The interesting part was that you controlled the mech along with the operator to stay close or get him out of the way of the carnage. Another interesting part was that any collateral damage from your battle would have to be paid.

Any ideas?

Could it be Project Eden?

CalX
Jul 22, 2007

Catellite posted:

I think Ecstatica had a wolf monster chase you at night, but I can't be sure.

high five man thats the one.

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

beef express posted:

Blasteroids.

Sweet! Thank you! Now I shall at least know the name of what haunts my dreams. *shudder*

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

British Bee posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alter_Echo

British Bee
Nov 4, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

That sounds like Scaler, probably.
You are the best person ever. Thank you!

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Rudger posted:

Sounds like Rolling Thunder 3.

That's it exactly! Thank you!

Fantastic interpretation or guesswork, by the way. Looking at screenshots is showing me how much I misremembered about this game and I always had trouble looking it up because the Rolling and Thunder combined to make Runner in my head.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

TheElectronicOne posted:

How many of you guys played this when you were little? Fess up.

http://www.archive.org/details/012280

Not me, gently caress! Thanks for bringing this to my attention---Gahan Wilson is a good friend of my mother's and I've been blessed with several personalized autographed books. I met him a few times, really awesome dude.

Pinky
Jan 3, 2004
9 fingers, no way!
Ok, I have two.

First was some strange early online game. I think it was freeware, or maybe there was a demo of it. Anyways, in this game you constructed an island. This island could fly. You could also attack all sorts of weapons to it. Spikes and cannons and things. Anyways the more stuff you added the heavier and slower your island got. You were supposed to fly your island around and battle other peoples islands. I wish I knew more about it than this, but I am positive that they were fighting islands. I remember always building a small fast island with ramming spikes. It was so fun. I hope someone here knows what Im talking about because Id love to play it again.

Second was this old school rpg style game. I think it may have had some kind of educational value. Anyways it was a side scrolling puzzle type rpg. You were like a bee keeper or something. You carried a net and collected bugs I think. I remember less about this game. I think there was something about digging holes. Anyone know?

To be honest, I only read the first page of this thread. I started thinking about these games and couldnt wait 20 pages to post. If they have already been posted, please direct me to the page, as Im working on finals stuff and probably wont have time to read those 20 pages for a week. Thanks!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pinky posted:

First was some strange early online game. I think it was freeware, or maybe there was a demo of it. Anyways, in this game you constructed an island. This island could fly. You could also attack all sorts of weapons to it. Spikes and cannons and things. Anyways the more stuff you added the heavier and slower your island got. You were supposed to fly your island around and battle other peoples islands. I wish I knew more about it than this, but I am positive that they were fighting islands. I remember always building a small fast island with ramming spikes. It was so fun. I hope someone here knows what Im talking about because Id love to play it again.
Probably Stratosphere.

Pinky
Jan 3, 2004
9 fingers, no way!

MMAgCh posted:

Probably Stratosphere.

Your my hero! Now to find a copy...

Thank you so much, Ive tried to explain this game to so many people and everyone thinks Im a crazy person. They arent wrong, just their reasoning is. Thanks more times than the dollar value of the US deficit.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
Alright, real long shot here.

It was a RTS from 95-02 maybe,PC, I'm pretty sure the PAL boxart was like a farmers field with pumpkins in it, with the games title in scaffolding, I always thought it was Rise of -something- but I couldn't find anything matching that. I remember that pumpkins were a harvestable resource though and maybe cogs? it's been bugging me forever, any help would be great.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Guerrilla Warfare posted:

There was a PS2 mech game that I only remember from a Judgement Day review. The interesting part was that you controlled the mech along with the operator to stay close or get him out of the way of the carnage. Another interesting part was that any collateral damage from your battle would have to be paid.

Any ideas?

Could it be Robot Alchemic Drive? (RAD)

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Hydrocodone posted:

That's it exactly! Thank you!

Fantastic interpretation or guesswork, by the way. Looking at screenshots is showing me how much I misremembered about this game and I always had trouble looking it up because the Rolling and Thunder combined to make Runner in my head.

Selecting the weapons and the panthers gave it away. I really liked the game growing up, I need to play through it again.

DaveCG posted:

It was a RTS from 95-02 maybe,PC, I'm pretty sure the PAL boxart was like a farmers field with pumpkins in it, with the games title in scaffolding, I always thought it was Rise of -something- but I couldn't find anything matching that. I remember that pumpkins were a harvestable resource though and maybe cogs? it's been bugging me forever, any help would be great.

You wouldn't be talking about Rise of Nations, would you? Pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DaveCG posted:

Beasts and bumpkins, maybe?

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
I don't think theres literally any chance of anyone getting this one, but I remember a game I used to play on my ZX Spectrum, I think you were some weird looking armless dude(could be wrong about the character) bouncing around your house collecting parts of your car so you could put it back together. I think (and again I could be wrong about this) you were doing it to escape your wife? :confused:

edit: Just bumped into it on Moby games, it was Olli & Lissa 3: The Candlelight Adventure, Jesus Christ that was a bit of luck.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/olli-lissa-3-the-candlelight-adventure

Depressing Drawers fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 16, 2009

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing an old Pacman game on the PC a while ago, like over a decade ago if I'm remembering right.

At least, I'm fairly certain it was Pacman.

Anyway the graphics were fairly bland: Pacman was a small, yellow circle with no features. It was a side-scrolling platformer title. I think you could jump, but the best method of transportation was a little grappling hook-type device that you could use, akin to the ninja ropes of the Worms games. I really enjoyed it, but could never find what it was later on.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Morpheus posted:

I remember playing an old Pacman game on the PC a while ago, like over a decade ago if I'm remembering right.

At least, I'm fairly certain it was Pacman.

Anyway the graphics were fairly bland: Pacman was a small, yellow circle with no features. It was a side-scrolling platformer title. I think you could jump, but the best method of transportation was a little grappling hook-type device that you could use, akin to the ninja ropes of the Worms games. I really enjoyed it, but could never find what it was later on.

Pac-In-Time.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.
Fun fact: Pac-in-Time is a rebranded graphics hack of a game called FURY OF THE FURRIES.

Vendetta77
Jul 22, 2004

by Peatpot
Wow, this is exactly the kind of thread I'm looking for. Ok, I've got a tough one. I wish I had more info for it, but I don't. If you guys get this one I'll be impressed.

It was for NES, it was a side scroller shooter where you pilot a weird looking ladybug type ship. At the end, the boss fight is your father. (I think in his own ship)

Now that's all I know about the game itself, but what I think may help you guys is I remember the actual NES cartridge for the game being jet black. It was one of those sleeker NES cartridges if I recall correctly.

I really wish I knew more, but if I did, I could find it myself. So, kind of a bug theme, but the bugs are actually spaceships I think. You fight your dad at the end (so the story goes anyway) and the game itself was a jet black cartridge. If you guys could help me out it would help complete my goal of watching playthroughs from game I played when I was a kid. Thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vendetta77 posted:

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thread I'm looking for. Ok, I've got a tough one. I wish I had more info for it, but I don't. If you guys get this one I'll be impressed.

It was for NES, it was a side scroller shooter where you pilot a weird looking ladybug type ship. At the end, the boss fight is your father. (I think in his own ship)

Now that's all I know about the game itself, but what I think may help you guys is I remember the actual NES cartridge for the game being jet black. It was one of those sleeker NES cartridges if I recall correctly.

I really wish I knew more, but if I did, I could find it myself. So, kind of a bug theme, but the bugs are actually spaceships I think. You fight your dad at the end (so the story goes anyway) and the game itself was a jet black cartridge. If you guys could help me out it would help complete my goal of watching playthroughs from game I played when I was a kid. Thanks!

May or may not help, but the black cartridges were usually Tengen games. Try looking through Tengen's catalog to see if anything seems familiar.

Vendetta77
Jul 22, 2004

by Peatpot

chairface posted:

May or may not help, but the black cartridges were usually Tengen games. Try looking through Tengen's catalog to see if anything seems familiar.

You're an intelligent man. I found Tengen on wikipedia and it had a list of their games.

The game is Fantasy Zone for NES, if you're curious,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUFrxr6Tv4

Thanks bud you're the bomb.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Beasts and bumpkins, maybe?

Nah not that, although I did have that game, I felt it was maybe done by the same studio as them, but wiki revealed nothing.

Rudger posted:

Rise of Nations?

Nope, not that either.

I'm trying to remember anything other than pumpkins and cogs as harvestable thingies, I think that in between missions you'd get a briefing screen with hand drawn ink line art of the main monsters in that level, and if I remember rightly (although I could be mixing two games together here) the storyline was something like a dark taint running through the land and theses monsters were appearing.

The Mad Hatter
Aug 14, 2008
Ok, let's see how much I remember from this game. Hope it hasn't been brought up before.

It was a top-down shooter. I played it when I was little, must have been around 94 or something, not very sure on that one. You played a spaceship, and got upgrades after shooting things. The screen scrolled continuously downwards. You had things on either side which you couldn't bump into, and sometimes you could get trapped and die when the screen scrolled down.

The biggest hint I can come up with is that after one level(maybe the first, maybe after the whole game), you got to an asteroid field, which was dead hard(for me), and you had to have gotten many of the upgrades to survive it.

Any ideas?

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
I have four. The first two, I have very little details for, but the latter two I remember better.

1. An NES game in which the first level had you attempting to fight past skeleton warriors. From what I remember, the ceiling and floor were comprised of light blue bricks, and the rest of the background was black.

2. A Sega Genesis game, if I recall correctly. It was a top down, RPG-like game in which you fought enemy humans in real-time and they left blood patches where they died. The graphics were not particularly good - I recall the "grassy areas" being bare patches of green.

3. A PC game, this one I had on one of those old Gold Star 100 Shareware Games discs. The graphics looked almost like they were done in MSPaint. It was a fighting game, and featured a variety of odd characters, including a golem, a dragon-like humanoid or two, and other warriors. My recollection is that it had a story mode, and there was some degree of blood I think.

4. Also from the same Gold Star CD, this one had "Cyber" somewhere in its title. It took place in a cyber punk setting with a kid on a hoverboard fighting robotic teddy bears.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

DaveCG posted:

This sounds so familiar, I'm sure I know what you mean. The pumpkin thing in particular. I'm almost definite I played it on a demo disc or something.

Could it be Rising Lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Stahlgeist posted:

1. An NES game in which the first level had you attempting to fight past skeleton warriors. From what I remember, the ceiling and floor were comprised of light blue bricks, and the rest of the background was black.

Kind of a long shot, but maybe Astyanax?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 19, 2009