Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well Mythbusters does have a long and proud tradition of loving up every rocket myth.

In the rocket car retelling, where they tried to jump the rocket car into a mountain (and brought back Scotty :allears:), they fitted a huge gently caress-off rocket into a tube mounted down the centre line of the car but didn't bother securing the front of the tube with anything more than a thin metal plate welded in place.

Surprise, surprise, the car loving exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Well this sucks. My cable company decided to change their entire broad cast line up and now I no longer have the discovery channel, no more myth busters or anything for me. On the plus side I lost VH1 and gained Comedy central and cartoon net work.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Darth Freddy posted:

Well this sucks. My cable company decided to change their entire broad cast line up and now I no longer have the discovery channel, no more myth busters or anything for me. On the plus side I lost VH1 and gained Comedy central and cartoon net work.
What the hell cable company wouldn't carry all of those channels? I've always seen them on even the most basic cable packages.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

What the hell cable company wouldn't carry all of those channels? I've always seen them on even the most basic cable packages.

Back when I lived in Illinois we didn't have Comedy Central, VH1, or SciFi until 2000.

You could get Scifi in late 1999, but only if you subscribed to a premium digital cable package.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2009

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

WhiteHowler posted:

Small town and with their most basic package. It surprised me how many times I hear comments like that.I go through the local "US cable" here in town.

Strange thing is I now get a ton of channels I never heard of like BET "Black entertainment television" and some channel that shows nothing be religious programming. Some of it I really don't mind losing just a bitch to change tv habits with no warning.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really, Discovery? A Ghost Hunter show?

And it's the same as every other, the host is pretty much Randy in the Giant Guinea Pigs episode of South Park. "OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT?! I'M SO STARTLED!"

edit: Really? REALLY??? "Like, hey, did this spoon move by itself while the camera wasn't looking?" Great acting. I'm enthralled.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 18, 2009

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

We've been bitching about this show for the last page or so

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cotato posted:

We've been bitching about this show for the last page or so

I hadn't seen it until night. So.... sorry?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Does anyone watch Stormchasers? Seems to be yet again Reed Timmer catching tornadoes and the other guy Sean on the verge of tears.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Does anyone watch Stormchasers? Seems to be yet again Reed Timmer catching tornadoes and the other guy Sean on the verge of tears.

I've been watching. Reed's loud and annoying sometimes, but drat, he ALWAYS gets to the tornadoes. Sean is just constantly being poo poo on, things never work out for him :smith: I really don't understand why he and Reed don't team up.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

This special on 2012 is hilarious. It's like every apocalypse special from the early/mid 90's slammed together. Oh, Discovery, you and your sensationalism.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I could watch Jaime and Adam blow up water heaters all day. :allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The water heater and the super sled snow plow were insane. The way the sled cut through that car was awesome.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

nerox posted:

I could watch Jaime and Adam blow up water heaters all day. :allears:

Unless Adam continues to refer to them as HOT water heaters :argh:

But holy poo poo the rocket sled bifurcation was insane.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 19, 2009

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I want a rocket plow.

That was easily the best devastation on the show ever. We've seen bombs and cannons a million times. We've never seen an 800 pound sword going 500 mph slicing through solid metal before.

Vilthuril
Mar 30, 2004
I love it when my state gets on Mythbusters!

It's a great state for doing crap in wide open spaces, we have so much available!

The car split far more cleanly that I thought it had from the initial footage.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I want a rocket plow.

That was easily the best devastation on the show ever. We've seen bombs and cannons a million times. We've never seen an 800 pound sword going 500 mph slicing through solid metal before.
500mph is slow compared to the bigger faster tracks around the country. They could have sent the car into a stationary blade at Mach 1 or 2. Of course it costs significantly more than volunteer student labor at New Mexico Tech though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Teek posted:

The water heater and the super sled snow plow were insane. The way the sled cut through that car was awesome.

Mythbusters has been down for quite a while, but splitting the car with the rocket plow is one of the coolest things ever. Right behind the original Cement truck explosion.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Waverider posted:

500mph is slow compared to the bigger faster tracks around the country. They could have sent the car into a stationary blade at Mach 1 or 2. Of course it costs significantly more than volunteer student labor at New Mexico Tech though.

If anybody in a position to do so would refuse to volunteer to shoot a car into a snowplow blade at mach 2 for free, I don't want to know them

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spidoman posted:

Right behind the original Cement truck explosion.
http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

...like I needed an excuse to post that.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I hadn't seen it until night. So.... sorry?

Wasnt bitching, inviting you to the club :hfive:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
As silly as the general idea of the most recent Mythbusters was I have to admit they made for some out of control visuals. As mentioned, a rocket powered sword is amazing and while I thought the car initially vaporized the carcasses at either side were nearly perfect. Also, halfway through the repeated slow motion replays I realized that the concrete barrier behind it evaporated and that the sled itself exploded. That blew my mind.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

spixxor posted:

This is true but Mike Rowe narrates it so...

I'd love to have a beer with Mike and ask him what goes through his head everytime they make him narrate something like "In the paranormal world, shadow people are widely believed to be blah blah blah emf readings blah blah the team casts it's electronic net."

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Mylan posted:

I'd love to have a beer with Mike and ask him what goes through his head everytime they make him narrate something like "In the paranormal world, shadow people are widely believed to be blah blah blah emf readings blah blah the team casts it's electronic net."
Probably something between "well, it's a paycheck" and hoping they get slimed and feel funky so he can do a segment with them for "Dirty Jobs"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new girl on Mythbusters isn't too bad so far and by showing her welding they seem to be making sure you know she wasn't just hired as a pretty face. The Kari segments have been pretty inconsistent though with some obviously filmed after she had her baby and some before.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The meat man is one of the most disgusting and disturbing things I've ever seen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The new girl on Mythbusters used to do an offroad truck building show on Spike. Extreme 4x4, or something like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palleon posted:

The meat man is one of the most disgusting and disturbing things I've ever seen.

you said that much too early :barf:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

you said that much too early :barf:

Yeah, that was probably the grossest myth ending ever.

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007
Meatman and his violent end were seriously more disturbing than half of the horror films I've seen.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that was probably the grossest myth ending ever.

It really makes me wonder how they couldn't show the pigface being smashed, but they have 0 problems with recreating the budd dwyer suicide video with meatmans blood and guts geysering out of his face into a diving helmet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gently caress the ocean
:goonsay:

That was seriously disgusting for real though.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
As awful as that was, I'm still going to have to request a gif of the body exploding into the helmet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Responses got me so worked up to see it. :(

t was neat, though. I never would have thought it would be that violent.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

A good episode of Mythbusters without a gratuitous explosion? I think someone out there owes me a coke.

Valandil
Jul 27, 2004

Hmmm.....
I'm already pumped to see next episode of Storm Chasers, because this (spoilers!) will happen..

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I wish they had opened the suit up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I can't believe it took them until they brought the suit up to point out the entire helmet caved. That was way more amazing to me than watching a vacuum. That's some serious metal and it caved so quick.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Palleon posted:

Is it so bad that I want to see them do an autopsy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Crotch Bat posted:

That's some serious metal and it caved so quick.

I thought those kinds of helmets were just copper? That's a pretty soft metal isn't it?

• Locked thread