Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
Alright, thanks guys. I recommended that they take her to a vet, which my dad agreed to do after Thanksgiving. I'll post an update once that happens. :)

Edit: Although, from doing some research online it looks like female cats can spray, even though its more rare than male cats? Anyone heard of this?

Chicory fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ashwat posted:

Alright, thanks guys. I recommended that they take her to a vet, which my dad agreed to do after Thanksgiving. I'll post an update once that happens. :)

Edit: Although, from doing some research online it looks like female cats can spray, even though its more rare than male cats? Anyone heard of this?

I knew a female cat that sprayed. But only once or twice a year, not frequently.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

We once had a female cat who sprayed. Strangely enough, she was also the youngest of 3 cats, and taken in as a stray kitten, and was nearing 1 year old when it started. Mostly she sprayed in the kitchen and on the more vertical plants. The vet said she was fine. We figured it must have been a territory/overcrowding issue. Unfortunately we never solved it or got her to stop, so she became an outside kitty.

Satarufosu
Nov 19, 2005

a neglected pet is nothing but a sign of an independent owner

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Bullshit. If you hated to tell people this, you wouldn't. You obviously enjoy shocking them.
This is an issue people inquire about, and you are telling people that they're answering for cheap kicks rather than to provide information?
That's bullshit. You seem to enjoy to be combative for no reason.
Unless you're freaked out that cats have this behaviour, which makes you narrow-minded. And a hypocrite.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

skoolmunkee posted:

We once had a female cat who sprayed. Strangely enough, she was also the youngest of 3 cats, and taken in as a stray kitten, and was nearing 1 year old when it started. Mostly she sprayed in the kitchen and on the more vertical plants. The vet said she was fine. We figured it must have been a territory/overcrowding issue. Unfortunately we never solved it or got her to stop, so she became an outside kitty.

We're thinking this might be it. She's the youngest, about a year old, and she has a tendency to "fight" with one of the other cats... not actually fight, just show hostility. And according to my parents she is very territorial. They decided they weren't going to take her to the vet, even though I told them it would probably be a good idea just in case. There's really nothing else I can do, its not my cat and I'm leaving in a few days.

But thanks for the advice everyone.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

In a GBS thread a while ago, this exchange was posted:

Ever lose your poo poo at your job? thread

AAAAA posted:

I just about lost it when my dumb rear end of a boss fed my dog bread when I wasn't looking. I snapped and threw a cup of "hot coffee" at him...needless to say I was fired.

My sister died of cancer two months later.

Edit: VVV It wasn't even a big mug. I just can't beleive I got fired for such Bullshit. I guess I "Chose" wrong VVV

Asskicker064 posted:

Is your dog allergic to bread? Or is this some street term for drugs I've never heard?

Biscuit Eater posted:

I also like how "hot coffee" is in quotes, making it seem like some kind of euphemism.

Captain Blasphemy posted:

I gave a dog bread once and he was OUTRAGED

AAAAA posted:

[i]DO NOT{/i] feed ANY dogs bread. G*ddamnit. Ignorance is no excuse, if you love your dog you do NOT give it bread. loving look it up.

You say this like it's funny or something. A joke. Well it's not funny. Eat poo poo.

King Plum the Nth posted:

Since you mention it, dogs eat poo poo. I've seen this happen. How is it they cannot eat bread too? I will not look this up. I will feed 1 dog bread every day until you explain it to me. Their lives are in your hands.

e: gently caress. I mean

I will fead dogs bread one at a time every day
I will feed bread every day to one dog
Every day one bread will to to one dog
I will feed bread to one dog every day

One new dog each new day. will be fed bread. By me. Until this is resolved.

Why can't dogs eat bread? Is this an injoke or just silliness?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hey, totally dumb question, but what is that scrunchie thing that spaniel or long eared sighthound owners use to keep the dogs ears out of their food called? Kind of looks like A large flat scrunchie that you tuck the ears into. Also, any clue where to buy some? Thanks!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

In a GBS thread a while ago, this exchange was posted:

Ever lose your poo poo at your job? thread

Why can't dogs eat bread? Is this an injoke or just silliness?

It's generally a bad idea to feed dogs bread due to grain and yeast intolerance. Can make them not only sick but sometimes quite smelly, depending on their sensitivity. It's also not nutritionally sound for them at all.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Some dogs have allergies that their owners aren't even aware of. I think super gave her pug a treat with wheat in it for a "just this once" treat. Poor thing got some nasty horrible sore on his tail from an allergic reaction. :( Kind of a better safe than sorry thing.

biscuitbandit
Oct 19, 2004
I need some advice on how to control a 10 month male puppy. He's starting to show, what I'm told is dominant behaviour. He isn't my dog, and is a Boxer/Labrador cross.

Is there good advice anywhere for someone who has never raised a puppy before? I've read the FAQ on pups, crate training and such, but I need help with combating his behaviour.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Satarufosu posted:

This is an issue people inquire about, and you are telling people that they're answering for cheap kicks rather than to provide information?
That's bullshit. You seem to enjoy to be combative for no reason.
Unless you're freaked out that cats have this behaviour, which makes you narrow-minded. And a hypocrite.

Good job responding to a post made two years ago.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

paisleyfox posted:

Hey, totally dumb question, but what is that scrunchie thing that spaniel or long eared sighthound owners use to keep the dogs ears out of their food called? Kind of looks like A large flat scrunchie that you tuck the ears into. Also, any clue where to buy some? Thanks!

I think it's called a snood.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

It's generally a bad idea to feed dogs bread due to grain and yeast intolerance. Can make them not only sick but sometimes quite smelly, depending on their sensitivity. It's also not nutritionally sound for them at all.

Kerfuffle posted:

Some dogs have allergies that their owners aren't even aware of. I think super gave her pug a treat with wheat in it for a "just this once" treat. Poor thing got some nasty horrible sore on his tail from an allergic reaction. :( Kind of a better safe than sorry thing.

Huh. I never knew. Thanks for the info! Hopefully someone explained this to King Plum as well before any dogs were fed bread.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
Oops! Took in a lost dog.

This shivering chihuahua/thing approached us in a Safeway parking lot, seemingly begging for asylum. No collar, no distinguishing marks, no tattoos. Perhaps 6 months old, judging by size and teeth. We stuck around for a couple hours asking people if they'd lost this animal, but no owner could be found.

Now we're feeding the bitch, but she's been with us a few hours and won't stay out on the grass to piss. Should we just keep an eye on her and see when she starts getting restless? Never took in a stray before. Oh, and should we hit up the vet immediately or what? I don't know when they'll be open with the holiday and all.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

MockTurtle posted:

I think it's called a snood.

Ah! Thanks so much. <3

Satarufosu
Nov 19, 2005

randomity posted:

Good job responding to a post made two years ago.
No problem. In any case i don't think it was called on as much at it should have been. Back to pets.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Heres an animal question:

What the gently caress is with cats? Seriously what the gently caress. Every couple years they slowly regain my trust, then the chillest cat I know will be relaxing on my lap and decide its time to draw blood by gnawing on my arm out of the goddamn blue while im working. Now I'm high strung and very upset with Mr. Kitty and im starting to question why I ever consider letting them keep company with me. I have yet to meet a loving cat that doesn't bite/scar me for no goddamn reason. It's like once they hit a sweet spot of relaxation they decide it's time to dine on human skin or at least make me really angry.

Whats with cats?

Satarufosu
Nov 19, 2005

Mido posted:

Whats with cats?
My guess is that it was just bored. Cats are aloof creatures, and this is probably why we're attracted to them. Cats help us forget the conditionality that other people and dogs place on us, and act as an inspiration to be more aloof ourselves. The thing is that were pack animals. We can get into a sense of security and pack-ness with a cat, even though the cat thinks of you as merely convenient. When bored you might become a convenient scratchpole, and then you feel betrayed.
Just my take. Cats aren't chill, they just don't give a drat.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mido posted:

What the gently caress is with cats? Seriously what the gently caress. Every couple years they slowly regain my trust, then the chillest cat I know will be relaxing on my lap and decide its time to draw blood by gnawing on my arm out of the goddamn blue while im working. Now I'm high strung and very upset with Mr. Kitty and im starting to question why I ever consider letting them keep company with me. I have yet to meet a loving cat that doesn't bite/scar me for no goddamn reason. It's like once they hit a sweet spot of relaxation they decide it's time to dine on human skin or at least make me really angry.

Whats with cats?

So, you were working-- does that mean your arm was moving?

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Here's a weird one: can cats eat pizzles? We got a 6-mo that is a bit hyperactive/possibly wound up from neglect from its previous owner, and he loves to chew on them. Until they're gone. My girlfriend insists it's harmless, and he has still been pooping regularly and seems fine. I just want to make sure it's actually harmless, since google has been fruitless. He loves them, and seems to gobble them up as fast as a dog would.

Even dumber subquestion: My mom came up with the far-fetched idea that the pizzles were giving the cat too much testosterone, as I told her that he tried to mount my older female a few times (he's been here about 2 months and are still keeping them separated when we're not around). I insisted it was just a social dominance thing, but come to think of it I have no proof she was wrong, although I don't think the concentration of testosterone gathered from eating dried bull penises would be enough to get a cat horny. This probably isn't a very well-explored science.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

So, you were working-- does that mean your arm was moving?

Not really, one hand on keyboard one hand on mouse (I dont move my arms when mousing, just my wrist. Both arms were completely static and he was on my lap, then took a pretty good bite out of my arm and it stings like hell. I washed it out pretty well knowing that cats mouths are dirty.

What is with cats and wanting to claw/bite things

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mido posted:

Whats with cats?

There are some cats out there that don't do this. I can count on one hand how many times my 15-year-old cat has bit me, and they all involve giving him a bath.

E: My 9-year-old cat bites once in a blue moon when you play with him with your hands, but never unprovoked.

Now the third cat is a bitey shithead, though he's laid low for the last month. It's always provoked by someone petting or playing with him, though, never him seeking out a person to bite.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2009

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How easy is it to catch ringworm? I babysat my friend's cat at my house and quarantined it from my cat but I've pet it a bunch of times. What's the general treatment for ringworm?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mido posted:

Not really, one hand on keyboard one hand on mouse (I dont move my arms when mousing, just my wrist. Both arms were completely static and he was on my lap, then took a pretty good bite out of my arm and it stings like hell. I washed it out pretty well knowing that cats mouths are dirty.

What is with cats and wanting to claw/bite things

Mine never do this, but I can see it happening, especially if he was surreptitiously watching your hand/wrist moving, etc.

urmyokazu
Mar 4, 2006
otaku
So another quick question involving my bundle of joy, Bishop.

I've been perusing around PI and the Cropped Ears thread led me to Cuchulainn's thread for his Cane Corso (I wanted to see the dog's head that looks like a butt). In it, the subject of large breed puppies and stairs came up and I understand the reasoning why they shouldn't be using stairs.

I just wanted to know if my dog, a Border Collie, is OK to go up and down stairs? He's been using them for a couple of weeks now and is used to them, but I'll carry him if needed. Tell me PI, did I just condemn my boy to a world of joint problems and pains that will only subside with medical marijuana? (I kid I kid)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How much water do aquatic animals ingest when they eat? I'm thinking mostly of sharks and dolphins and the like, where they tend to eat prey whole or in large chunks. I think I'd heard that they get water from their food, but was wondering how they manage to keep the water around them from filling their stomachs.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

urmyokazu posted:

So another quick question involving my bundle of joy, Bishop.

I've been perusing around PI and the Cropped Ears thread led me to Cuchulainn's thread for his Cane Corso (I wanted to see the dog's head that looks like a butt). In it, the subject of large breed puppies and stairs came up and I understand the reasoning why they shouldn't be using stairs.

I just wanted to know if my dog, a Border Collie, is OK to go up and down stairs? He's been using them for a couple of weeks now and is used to them, but I'll carry him if needed. Tell me PI, did I just condemn my boy to a world of joint problems and pains that will only subside with medical marijuana? (I kid I kid)

He should be fine. Border collies aren't supposed to do jumps with agility till they're about a year old thanks to their shoulders, but I can't see how stairs would be that big of a deal for them.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

How much water do aquatic animals ingest when they eat? I'm thinking mostly of sharks and dolphins and the like, where they tend to eat prey whole or in large chunks. I think I'd heard that they get water from their food, but was wondering how they manage to keep the water around them from filling their stomachs.

With sharks, water flows out through the gills--that's how they breathe. Dolphins have a muscle in the throat to help prevent ingestion of water.

Ramalama
May 6, 2007

It's coooool to be squ... squ... brrr

*snip*

Ramalama fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 21, 2022

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
My cat is bleeding somewhere on his body but I cannot find out where. He likes to drink directly from the bathroom tap instead of from his waterbowl and I'm finding little drops of blood randomly in the sink. Just this morning I found a little scab just on the back of his neck. The location wouldn't really explain the blood as he's a long hair persian so there would be some traces of blood in his fur.

I think the big question is, could it be fleas or parasites of some sort? He is an indoor cat so I'm not too sure. Is this something I should be concern about?

He's not showing any change in attitude, granted he always likes to walk around and meow and it always craving attention.

Ashling
Jan 20, 2007
Bride of Alowishus
Just ducking in to ask - anybody here been skunked? My dog and I both got a face full today - yippee! and we still reek. Have both been shampooed, deodorized, and treated with some sort of skunk smell killer. Now reading that shampoo and water make it worse and we should have tried Hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and dish soap. Yes? No?

It's late and dark now, and I don't really feel like washing him again tonight - but could run to the store and get whatever I need now and wash him in the morning. I, however, would like to sleep in my bed and not make everything reek. What about my clothes? I"m washing them with vinegar, but should I just toss them?'

Thanks

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Ashling posted:

Just ducking in to ask - anybody here been skunked? My dog and I both got a face full today - yippee! and we still reek. Have both been shampooed, deodorized, and treated with some sort of skunk smell killer. Now reading that shampoo and water make it worse and we should have tried Hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and dish soap. Yes? No?

It's late and dark now, and I don't really feel like washing him again tonight - but could run to the store and get whatever I need now and wash him in the morning. I, however, would like to sleep in my bed and not make everything reek. What about my clothes? I"m washing them with vinegar, but should I just toss them?'

Thanks

If vinegar doesn't do it for your clothes, I'd toss them. I've never been sprayed, but have had friends get it. Consider shaving yourself and trimming your dog's hair very short. I'm told a tomato sauce bath helps as well.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Ashling posted:

Thanks

Oh god, Quinn didn't get hit did she???

Here's what my fav online vet recommended recently:

Dolittler posted:

Then there’s the anal gland messiness and the skunk-sprayed dog to consider: Both extreme odors respond to freshly mixed baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide (1/3 cup to a quart, respectively), but the formula doesn’t really do it’s job without a dash of Dawn to break down the sebaceous, stick-to-the-fur components these materials are made of.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Ramalama posted:

tl;dr: Cat just died, what's the best way to store the body for a few days while waiting to consult the family about cremation/burial?

I believe the real best thing to do is wrap up the corpse really well in sealable bags and put it in the freezer. That'll prevent it from beginning to rot or smell. You definitely want to do as thorough a job as possible on sealing it up. Maybe you can get extra-large ziploc bags at the supermarket?

Ashling
Jan 20, 2007
Bride of Alowishus
No, Quinn was far, far away. We were over an hour away from home on a job, and well, we found a skunk. Yippee.

We're going to try more baths tomorrow - yay us.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ashling posted:

Skunked!

If you use peroxide, just remember that it's bleaching! We had a client use that "trick" on her dark grey/black dog, and he's still growing out of his "highlights". :laugh:

Ashling
Jan 20, 2007
Bride of Alowishus

WolfensteinBag posted:

If you use peroxide, just remember that it's bleaching! We had a client use that "trick" on her dark grey/black dog, and he's still growing out of his "highlights". :laugh:

Oh lord, thank you for this. My dog is black and I like him that way! And I was totally going to put it in my own hair - DUUUUUH. I've never done that so it wouldn't have occurred to me until after the fact. Oh my, disaster averted - thank you.

Ramalama
May 6, 2007

It's coooool to be squ... squ... brrr

chutwig posted:

I believe the real best thing to do is wrap up the corpse really well in sealable bags and put it in the freezer. That'll prevent it from beginning to rot or smell. You definitely want to do as thorough a job as possible on sealing it up. Maybe you can get extra-large ziploc bags at the supermarket?

Thanks for the advice. It looks like we'll be burying him tonight, so I won't have to worry about storage anymore.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok, follow up to my bleeding cat. It looks like he has two scabs behind his neck. I think he may be scratching too hard and breaking the skin. Could this be a problem? Aside from the little scabs he seems like the same cat, still affectionate. What would cause him to scratch himself until he bleeds?

EDIT: Looks like it "MAY" be fleas, although he is an indoor cat and has never been outside. Is it possible for an indoor cat with no contact to the outside world to get fleas?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

m.hache posted:

EDIT: Looks like it "MAY" be fleas, although he is an indoor cat and has never been outside. Is it possible for an indoor cat with no contact to the outside world to get fleas?

Yep, a flea could catch a ride on your pants while you're outside and come in that way. One of mine got worms even though she's never been outside.