Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

zerox147o posted:

a while back i got a great deal from woot on http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-SS-5-Surround-Speakers/dp/tech-data/B0006G9I56/ref=de_a_smtd speakers and have been running 4x those + a klipsch synergy center channel + subwoofer. i'm looking to upgrade my two fronts, as 90% of the time this setup is just used as a stereo for mp3's and vinyl. looking around the $200 price point, but would be capable of going higher if someone puts forth a particularly good set a little higher. atm i'm thinking of grabbing these http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/tech-data/B00192KEY0/ref=de_a_smtd polk audio speakers. looking to stay at about this size though due to space limitations.

e: looking at the tsi200 as well, seeing as its just the next model up in the same line of bookshelf.

tldr: recommend me good bookshelf speakers for music listening across a broad spectrum of genres

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

I love these speakers, and if you can wait I'm sure they will go on special sometime before Christmas. I've bought a couple pairs of them for ~$200. The finish on them is fantastic as well. No fake wood bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ddogflex posted:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

I love these speakers, and if you can wait I'm sure they will go on special sometime before Christmas. I've bought a couple pairs of them for ~$200. The finish on them is fantastic as well. No fake wood bullshit.

Can AV123 deliver anything in less than 6 months now?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

qirex posted:

Can AV123 deliver anything in less than 6 months now?

Haha, no poo poo. But yeah, they are A LOT better now. I ordered an X-CS from them a couple weeks ago and got it within 2-3 days.

Also, to zerox147o, they apparently have the ELT525M for $169 on black friday.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ddogflex posted:

Haha, no poo poo. But yeah, they are A LOT better now. I ordered an X-CS from them a couple weeks ago and got it within 2-3 days.

available off the website? done, and done.

dawiyo
Jul 16, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

nope!

You said you don't use it!

Okay time to go to Amazon.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ddogflex posted:

with a $50 shipping cost probably (they include exorbitant "handling" in all shipping)

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009
I found a deal on a pair of Dynavoice Magic F-6 EX speakers and a Tangent AMP-100 receiver, are they any good or should I save up for something better?
I have no knowledge of these things so I am looking for package deals (and I live in Sweden).

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
If I'm a shitty poster, tell Silentman0
I'm interested in getting a Digital Audio Workstation for my computer. I am very well-versed in Pro-Tools, however at this current time, I own a PC, and I don't want to buy Pro-Tools until I get a Mac to use exclusively for Pro-Tools. Can someone recommend me a good (or a couple of good) DAW's that are available for PC?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

AngusOwnsYou posted:

I'm interested in getting a Digital Audio Workstation for my computer. I am very well-versed in Pro-Tools, however at this current time, I own a PC, and I don't want to buy Pro-Tools until I get a Mac to use exclusively for Pro-Tools. Can someone recommend me a good (or a couple of good) DAW's that are available for PC?

I can't answer this directly but you should look in the Musician's Lounge for answers.

wiz crack
Jan 18, 2008
I run a small mixer through to my laptop and metronome for practice (I'm a drummer).

Whenever I play tracks that are stereo, IE: Guitar left/right... only one side ever comes through and never in stereo. I originally thought it was just my crappy mixer, but I now think it may be I need some kind of stereo cable?? Anyone know about this?
Cheers

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wiz crack posted:

I run a small mixer through to my laptop and metronome for practice (I'm a drummer).

Whenever I play tracks that are stereo, IE: Guitar left/right... only one side ever comes through and never in stereo. I originally thought it was just my crappy mixer, but I now think it may be I need some kind of stereo cable?? Anyone know about this?
Cheers

It's hard to say without more details, but it could be as simple as a pan knob turned all te way to one side.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
On my PC I just have a decent t-amp and some small bookshelf speakers, sometimes a sub. Anyway, I think I hosed up the jack on my onboard sound, it sounds sorta fuzzy, almost like a blown speaker? The amp and speakers are fine with another source though. So I pretty much just want a cheap DAC that will sound decent. Anyone have any experience with the Creative Xmod? I won't use any of the FANCY features or whatever, it's nice that it has a line-out and a headphone jack though. So anyway, will it rape my music or what? I'm having trouble finding reviews that aren't from like a PC hardware site.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Xmod-Sound-Card/dp/B000IZ96LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259340501&sr=1-1

EDIT: OK, screw that, I'm ordering a Behringer UCA202. It's like $10 more, but definitely more what I'm looking for.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 28, 2009

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I've got a set of Creative T2900 speakers that have been fantastic for the entire time I've owned them -- until recently. The speakers are 2.1 and everything is run through the sub: the input, the power supply, the output to the the two speakers, and the volume control and power device. This device is the source of my problems, or so I think. If it is moved at all or bumped or if something hits the desk too hard, it spikes greatly in volume, which is a pain if everyone else is asleep.

I've taken the thing apart, blown it out with compressed air, checked all the screws, and put it back together several times. Each time this has provided a very brief improvement, which then fades back into normal performance. I've also checked the DIN 6 connector; it seems fine. I checked Creative's website, and found that apparently I'm not the only one to suffer this problem. I went through the steps suggested to fix it, but that didn't work either. I emailed Creative, and they said it sounds as if the device needs replaced, which they can't do, and that basically I'm up poo poo creek, and I haven't even got a fly swatter to paddle with.

Here's where I turn to you. Do you have any idea what could be going on? Any suggestion is welcome. I'm also willing to accept a way to simply buy a new power device. I'll accept anything that'll get my speakers working again.

wiz crack
Jan 18, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

It's hard to say without more details, but it could be as simple as a pan knob turned all te way to one side.

It's definitely not any pan knobs. It's an Alto mixer (cheap brand......) just running a regular guitar lead to my laptop, which has a converter to make it into 3.5 plug size.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I run Traktor Scratch Pro on an XP machine. I use the Audio 8 DJ usb soundcard that runs into my Pioneer DJM600 and out into a pair of Mackie MR8's. all these items are within close proximity to each other and a few other electronic devices

I have a high pitched static that comes out of my speakers at all times, and occasionally a crackle.

how do i reduce this noise? is it a cable issue? (i only bought stock cables from guitar center) is it cause of the electromagnetic interference from the other devices? Ive tweaked my latency, buffer, and volume settings over and over and no results. any advice?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
So I have a pair of Infinity Reference 2000.6 floorstanding speakers. (see pic below, not my house) I also have an 18-month old. My son seems to share my love for the speakers - he took off the grill and poked in the center of the 2 6.5" speakers so they are now concave.

My old receiver recently died and I just ordered a new one so I can't test them for a few days. Will this affect the sound? If so, is there any way to repair them? I know they aren't the greatest speakers in the world but I would rather keep them if I can.

Click here for the full 1000x801 image.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Count Sacula posted:

he took off the grill and poked in the center of the 2 6.5" speakers so they are now concave.

Use a vacuum hose attachment to pull them out. They're just dust covers.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Love that floor.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

twice burned ice posted:

Here's where I turn to you. Do you have any idea what could be going on? Any suggestion is welcome. I'm also willing to accept a way to simply buy a new power device. I'll accept anything that'll get my speakers working again.

All I can suggest is that it sounds like one of the cables has a loose/cold joint before it hits the actual connector that plugs in, and that the motion is causing it to come loose.

Potentially, the one that controls the volume, in your circumstance?

If you disconnect the volume control 'pod' thing completely, does it happen? Or is that required for it to operate? (I don't own this just speculating)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sniep posted:

All I can suggest is that it sounds like one of the cables has a loose/cold joint before it hits the actual connector that plugs in, and that the motion is causing it to come loose.

Yeah, sounds like a loose solder joint alright. Try resoldering the connections to the external devices. If that doesn't work, resolder all components that could get hot since those are most likely to come loose over the years. Then move on to other components if the error persists. Let us know how it works!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

wiz crack posted:

It's definitely not any pan knobs. It's an Alto mixer (cheap brand......) just running a regular guitar lead to my laptop, which has a converter to make it into 3.5 plug size.

Sounds like your converter is mono, which would explain why you are only getting the left channel. Does the 3.5mm jack on the converter have one black band on it or two?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ZeldaLeft posted:

I run Traktor Scratch Pro on an XP machine. I use the Audio 8 DJ usb soundcard that runs into my Pioneer DJM600 and out into a pair of Mackie MR8's. all these items are within close proximity to each other and a few other electronic devices

I have a high pitched static that comes out of my speakers at all times, and occasionally a crackle.

how do i reduce this noise? is it a cable issue? (i only bought stock cables from guitar center) is it cause of the electromagnetic interference from the other devices? Ive tweaked my latency, buffer, and volume settings over and over and no results. any advice?

Use a process of elimination to isolate what component is introducing the noise.

You do realize that the DJM 600 is pretty awful in terms of sound quality, right? Do those speakers have volume controls on them? If so, what happens if you wire the Audio8 straight into the speakers and bypass the mixer? That's my best guess (I doubt it's the cables)

Another thought Is the XP machine a laptop or a desktop? If its a laptop, does the sound go away when running on battery power? This would only make a difference if you had a ground loop issue (doesn't sound like that's the case or you'd describe the sound as a low-pitched hum, not as static)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 2, 2009

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
My computer came with a Dell 5.1 surround sound system, which has worked beautifully up until recently. Recently, I've noticed that the volume of whatever is playing through these speakers (be it itunes, youtube, DVD) intermittently drops to a lower volume and then raises back up again. It isn't a gradual decrease in volume, either, it is an instant change. I've had programs open on my computer during these volume changes to see if there is a change in signal within the computer, but all the meters read consistently during these volume changes. Also, I have repeatedly checked all the cords to make sure they are all plugged in all the way. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have this new Blu-ray player with DTS decoding in it but instead of it saying what it can decode under DTS, it only says it has Advanced Digital Out with the instructions saying it could do DTS-HD High Resolution but not Master Audio.

If I bitstream the connection to a receiver that is set to do Master Audio, would the speakers be able to play it back that way or any lossless standard or would be only be able to playback what the player can only do? If not, is there a way it be done?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

NYIslander posted:

I have this new Blu-ray player with DTS decoding in it but instead of it saying what it can decode under DTS, it only says it has Advanced Digital Out with the instructions saying it could do DTS-HD High Resolution but not Master Audio.

If I bitstream the connection to a receiver that is set to do Master Audio, would the speakers be able to play it back that way or any lossless standard or would be only be able to playback what the player can only do? If not, is there a way it be done?

It depends on the audio fuckery going on in the player, so this answer isn't definitive, but if you bitstream the audio to a receiver that has a DTS-MA decoder in it then it will probably work.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem
A friend of mine is looking to spend between £350-500 (UK Goon) and basically wants the best sound possible for the cash.

5.1 would be a bonus, as would (welp!) nice looking kit, and/or as an iPod dock.

Any ideas? I'm personally more than able to set this stuff up, but my expertise lies in PC's, not audio stuff. Thanks in advance.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

NYIslander posted:

DTS-HD (and the DD equivalent) can only be done via HDMI audio connection. Bitstreaming over a standard digital audio SPDIF interconnect (optical or coax) is limited to 5.1 DTS/DD or 2.0 PCM (lossless).

5.1 lossless (PCM) and discrete 7.1 or above require more bandwidth than SPDIF can support

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

vanilla slimfast posted:

DTS-HD (and the DD equivalent) can only be done via HDMI audio connection. Bitstreaming over a standard digital audio SPDIF interconnect (optical or coax) is limited to 5.1 DTS/DD or 2.0 PCM (lossless).

5.1 lossless (PCM) and discrete 7.1 or above require more bandwidth than SPDIF can support
I have no problem with bitstreaming a audio connection over HDMI since the manual made it clear lossless couldn't be done through coaxial. Not that I have the ability now since it's just HDMI to TV stereo for now anyway.
My issue was if I upgrade to a decent home theater system in a few years, Could a receiver handle the audio decoding instead of the player as long as the audio is bit streamed via HDMI if my player (a Momitsu BDP-799) cannot decode the audio format itself but can bitstream it?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

NYIslander posted:

I have no problem with bitstreaming a audio connection over HDMI since the manual made it clear lossless couldn't be done through coaxial. Not that I have the ability now since it's just HDMI to TV stereo for now anyway.
My issue was if I upgrade to a decent home theater system in a few years, Could a receiver handle the audio decoding instead of the player as long as the audio is bit streamed via HDMI if my player (a Momitsu BDP-799) cannot decode the audio format itself but can bitstream it?

Yes. A receiver will clearly state whether it supports decoding the HD bitstream formats.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Dmoz posted:

A friend of mine is looking to spend between £350-500 (UK Goon) and basically wants the best sound possible for the cash.

5.1 would be a bonus, as would (welp!) nice looking kit, and/or as an iPod dock.

Any ideas? I'm personally more than able to set this stuff up, but my expertise lies in PC's, not audio stuff. Thanks in advance.
This would work... it's probably the best set out there that meets all the requirements.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-HTS6205-Home-Cinema-System/dp/B002YOFHK8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260139444&sr=8-4
The speakers could obviously be better and if you go for a slightly less nice receiver you could get better speakers, possibly.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes. A receiver will clearly state whether it supports decoding the HD bitstream formats.

That's what I assumed, the receiver takes over audio for the player without loss of quality even if the player won't support a certain format as long as it's bitstreamed.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I don't think this warrants its own thread, I'm looking for suggestions regarding a dock. I have the option of getting a JVC RA-P51E (or similar) portable CD player or £200 to spend on an alternative. This is for use in large indoor spaces, such as halls and is for music classes involving singing and using percussion instruments.

There are two reasons I'm looking for a replacement, I've got a Creative Zen and would prefer to build playlists on that rather than burn CDs or skip through tracks (so one requirement is an auxiliary port) and I'm looking for something a bit less bulky and a bit lighter than those monster JVC systems.

The company providing the system only vouch for the JVC, and recommend I look for something with the same wattage (40W total). I used to work in an electronics retailer so I know that wattage is only half the story but will get bullshitted to if I ask a rep when I go looking. I have, however, seen the Altec Lansing T612 which is 60 watts and rather compact. I also had a look at some Bose units (the few that fall within the budget) but I couldn't get any decent information on them.

Would I be losing out on quality in opting for a unit that's so much smaller than the JVC? Are there any recommended docks (iPod is fine if they have line-in) or portable speakers/CD systems for this purpose?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Do we have a receiver megathread? I'm looking at getting a new one and am not sure where to start reading...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ghostnuke posted:

Do we have a receiver megathread? I'm looking at getting a new one and am not sure where to start reading...

there's a cheap reciever thread but if you ask about something over $500 I don't think anyone would yell

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007

AngusOwnsYou posted:

My computer came with a Dell 5.1 surround sound system, which has worked beautifully up until recently. Recently, I've noticed that the volume of whatever is playing through these speakers (be it itunes, youtube, DVD) intermittently drops to a lower volume and then raises back up again. It isn't a gradual decrease in volume, either, it is an instant change. I've had programs open on my computer during these volume changes to see if there is a change in signal within the computer, but all the meters read consistently during these volume changes. Also, I have repeatedly checked all the cords to make sure they are all plugged in all the way. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I think this got lost in the mix, thought I'd try bumping it down here.

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003

AngusOwnsYou posted:

I think this got lost in the mix, thought I'd try bumping it down here.

Is there any chance you could try them on another computer and see if it may just be the speakers and not your computer?

Phrog
Aug 24, 2005

That damn green thing
Am I potentially heading into an overkill situation when it comes to setting up a surround sound system? Currently I am living in a room in my parents house and am setting up a system of 2 tower fronts, a center, 2 bookshelf surrounds, and a subwoofer. The combined total of the speakers, sub, and receiver is just over $1,000 from Newegg (and I am inclined to buy these soon since they are running some insane deals right now).

The thing is, the loft I am living in is not a large one. The room is roughly 13 feet wide and the surrounds will be located some 13 feet away from the opposite wall (making for a 13x13 listening space though the room itself is probably closer to 18 feet long). I'm wondering if a HTiaB would suit my space better.

I don't plan on spending an eternity here but due to illness I am unlikely to leave any time soon. However, when I do move out into my own apartment I don't want to be under-served by an inadequate HTiaB with the extra space I'll likely have (assuming I am not broke and living in a shoebox).

Thoughts? One concern I had was with the small space screwing me acoustically. Will this be a considerable factor?

EDIT: A video question, but it has to do with receivers so I thought I'd ask. The receiver I am looking at performs 720p/1080i upconversion but all my video sources and my display are 1080p-capable. Will the receiver simply forward the data the HDMI video is sending it or will it actually not be able to "take" the 1080p?

Phrog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 10, 2009

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Phrog posted:

EDIT: A video question, but it has to do with receivers so I thought I'd ask. The receiver I am looking at performs 720p/1080i upconversion but all my video sources and my display are 1080p-capable. Will the receiver simply forward the data the HDMI video is sending it or will it actually not be able to "take" the 1080p?

My Onkyo does the same thing and it has a setting to only upconvert SD sources or none at all. In these cases 1080p is just passed through untouched. You will be fine.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I'm looking to get a Bose Wave radio for my father for Christmas as he's always wanted one. My only problem is that the radio has no controls on it. You have to use the remote, and you have to pay an extra $150 for the CD player.

Should I just get it or is there something better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Just bought a Q Acoustics 1010i set, plus an Onkyo TX-SR507. I'm VERY excited about this. It's a little bonus from work which makes it a lot easier than if I would've had to spend the money myself.

I've looked at so many website and reviews that I'm pretty drat sure all of this will be worth the money.

I've also ordered a good amount of speaker cable.
Question: I have random RCA cables lying around. Do I need a special one for my subwoofer?
Do the Q Acoustics speakers work with Banana plugs?