Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Reacharound posted:

content: "Paparazzi" kinda sounds like "Don't Stop Believin'".

I have acquired a mashup called Just Stop Believing, Just Dance vs Don't Stop Believing. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I have acquired a mashup called Just Stop Believing, Just Dance vs Don't Stop Believing. Amazing.

Just listened to this, it's great. The melodies work so well together, color me surprised.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Oh my god that's awesome!

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I just looked up that mashup and... Yeah it's friggin awesome. :3

hilly
May 26, 2005
Yeah, sometimes mashups (or "clever" DJs) lose their dance floor appeal when they change the beat. This works really well. And it makes me smile!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I bought a remix of a Lady Gaga song on iTunes and had to buy $20 of Múm just to get the poo poo out of the iTunes recommendation box and the blood off my hands.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I bought a remix of a Lady Gaga song on iTunes and had to buy $20 of Múm just to get the poo poo out of the iTunes recommendation box and the blood off my hands.

Look at this paper gangsta.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Yeah, that was really great, it brings this goofy smile to my face. Good mashups are kinda like whoever decided to mix peanut butter and jelly for the first time- super awesome :D

This may be wayyy off (I'm so not musically inclined) but something about Monster makes me think of Chris Brown's song Forever, and I'd love to hear a mash up of those two. Regardless, Monster is now my favorite everything song.

(Edited to try to sound less like a retard who just got out of bed.)

snail goat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 26, 2009

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

This may be wayyy off (I'm so not musically inclined) but something about Monster makes me think of Chris Brown's song Forever, and I'd love to hear a mash up of those two. Regardless, Monster is now my favorite everything song.

I don't know anything about this Chris Brown song (I stopped listening to him after he beat women and also all his songs suck anyway except he doublemint gum one) but Muh-muh-muh-muh-Monster is my fave new track on the new album for suuuure. I think Bad Romance rules though and Telephone or Alejandro would be a great next single.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

I don't know anything about this Chris Brown song (I stopped listening to him after he beat women and also all his songs suck anyway except he doublemint gum one) but Muh-muh-muh-muh-Monster is my fave new track on the new album for suuuure. I think Bad Romance rules though and Telephone or Alejandro would be a great next single.

Forever is the doublemint gum song.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

ArmoredBlue posted:

Yeah, they say they're making it available asap: http://twitter.com/cherrytreerec/status/5945702666

Goddamnit, I should have read this thread before buying it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

illcendiary posted:

Forever is the doublemint gum song.

And it is an amazing song because I'm pretty sure one of the lyrics goes "look what I can do with my feet!"

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

My favorite part of the Bad Romance video was spotting all the product placement. Not like it was terribly subtle but it was still fun.

1. Parrot by Starck (some wireless ipod docking speakers that apparently cost $1600)
2. Nemiroff vodka
3. Beats by Dr. Dre headphones/HP tie-in laptops
4. Carrera sunglasses

Probably the most subtle, I'm pretty sure group of guys were bidding on Gaga with Wii nunchucks.

Edit: Hmm after googling a little bit it seems I missed some vitamin water sitting on a table too.

Trisk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 26, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Serious question: what is the crossover point from slightly dark synthpop to full blown urgh pop. I was just listening to Bad Romance on youtube and realize that like the first 30 seconds of the song I could totally listen to unironically.

Oh god why did I find that one remix? The Space Cowboy remix of Poker Face is basically normal Poker Face plus the drums the Björk used in Volta (particularly the song "Innocence"). Seriously that's all it took to make it unironically listenable to me.

:suicide:

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I haven't listened to any of her songs all the way through yet so I can't comment on the "quality" of her music, but she reminds me of Marilyn Manson in the way that she tries to shock everyone and that's why I honestly can't stand her.

and she has a penis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mister_Eel posted:

I haven't listened to any of her songs all the way through yet so I can't comment on the "quality" of her music, but she reminds me of Marilyn Manson in the way that she tries to shock everyone and that's why I honestly can't stand her.

and she has a penis.
This is why Lady Gaga is so awesome. People do this.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

IntoTheNihil posted:

This is why Lady Gaga is so awesome. People do this.

See, the thing is I want to like her. She's hot. But I just can't. I find her act and music just too annoying.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Mister_Eel posted:

I haven't listened to any of her songs all the way through yet so I can't comment on the "quality" of her music

quote:

I find her act and music just too annoying.

Right then. :geno:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that she's accomplishing. I know what she's doing, but the minutia and why are still rather intriguing. Most stars like her are born from X-factor/American Idol-esque attempts by the recording industry to pick up people to turn into their tools for profit. Gaga isn't... and yet she's allowing herself to live that style of life. She's proven she has the talent and is an actual artist, and the only thing I can assume is that she's ushering in a new era of glam rock with a different flavor.

Glam from the 70s was a direct attempt to shut hippies up. Their music was too serious, they were too full of themselves, and actual singer-songwriting acts such as David Bowie, Elton John, Gary Glitter, and T. Rex popped up, soon to be followed by classic rock and mega-acts like Iggy Pop and Kiss. Enter the 80s when this sound was mass-produced and gave us the industry's "pop" we know today where celebrities are made from people who look hot (Britney) or sound great (Mariah, Christina).

The underground glam scene has found its fans, but has yet to fill the airwaves with actual talent (USA here). Electric Six, The Ark, Mika, Scissor Sisters and their contemporaries have yet to hit it big with songs of their own about essentially nothing more than fun and glitz with no opinion towards anything.

My hope is that Gaga is trying to bust through the industry, punching a hole large enough for these groups to make it big, and essentially hit a reset button on the music industry's retarded stranglehold on the airwaves. I'm sick of the mass-produced R&B-pop bastard hybrid we hear on the radio these days, and really hope Gaga's trying to change things rather than have an ultimate "ha ha i got you" in a few years.

McHuman Deluxe
Dec 11, 2004

just the tip...just to see how it feels
Thanks a loving lot Lady Gaga Megathread because of you Lady Gaga and Lamb of God appear sequentially on my Ipod. :mad:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

GAGA WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Amazon have hosed me right off and still haven't delivered my pre-order of the digipack so I went out and bought the regular edition just to keep me going.

And now it's taking every bit of willpower I have left to stop me dropping £60 on the super deluxe thing with the book and everything and I AM THIS CLOSE.

But it's all good because basically it is amazing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Backweb posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that she's accomplishing. I know what she's doing, but the minutia and why are still rather intriguing. Most stars like her are born from X-factor/American Idol-esque attempts by the recording industry to pick up people to turn into their tools for profit. Gaga isn't... and yet she's allowing herself to live that style of life. She's proven she has the talent and is an actual artist, and the only thing I can assume is that she's ushering in a new era of glam rock with a different flavor.

Glam from the 70s was a direct attempt to shut hippies up. Their music was too serious, they were too full of themselves, and actual singer-songwriting acts such as David Bowie, Elton John, Gary Glitter, and T. Rex popped up, soon to be followed by classic rock and mega-acts like Iggy Pop and Kiss. Enter the 80s when this sound was mass-produced and gave us the industry's "pop" we know today where celebrities are made from people who look hot (Britney) or sound great (Mariah, Christina).

The underground glam scene has found its fans, but has yet to fill the airwaves with actual talent (USA here). Electric Six, The Ark, Mika, Scissor Sisters and their contemporaries have yet to hit it big with songs of their own about essentially nothing more than fun and glitz with no opinion towards anything.

My hope is that Gaga is trying to bust through the industry, punching a hole large enough for these groups to make it big, and essentially hit a reset button on the music industry's retarded stranglehold on the airwaves. I'm sick of the mass-produced R&B-pop bastard hybrid we hear on the radio these days, and really hope Gaga's trying to change things rather than have an ultimate "ha ha i got you" in a few years.

From her interviews she really does seem to embrace the glam aspect and she constantly references Bowie so I wouldn't be surprised.

Some people always bring up listening to Gaga ironically and I really don't see the point. You either like something or you don't for whatever reason. You're trying way too hard if you that's how you listen and talk about music.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Backweb posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that she's accomplishing.

Why do you assume she has a larger goal than "make music she enjoys making and make a living doing it?"

If it's because of her visual style and things like the penis stunt, then this may be a "once you see it, you can't unsee it" thing, but imagine someone like Rihanna, Beyonce, Miley Cyrus, etc. performing the songs Gaga does in their own wardrobe, style, etc. Doesn't work, does it?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

:suicide:

is it physically possible for you to post something without the word bjork in it

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
You have to wonder whether she started some of the rumors herself. Most great artists have a bevy of rumors about them at some point.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Backweb posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that she's accomplishing. I know what she's doing, but the minutia and why are still rather intriguing. Most stars like her are born from X-factor/American Idol-esque attempts by the recording industry to pick up people to turn into their tools for profit. Gaga isn't... and yet she's allowing herself to live that style of life.

Jesus why do people act like Lady Gaga isn't like every other pop artist? Commercially she is, and it doesn't matter because she's great anyways. She opened for New Kids and the Pussycat Dolls.
I mean she's signed to Kon Live/Interscope. Akons label. Not some indie or something.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Wezlar posted:

Jesus why do people act like Lady Gaga isn't like every other pop artist?

Because she isn't? She doesn't look wholesome and blond (like... regular blond). She's not "another teen pop start" cranked out of a machine. She was the immaculate conception of six gay men. And she can actually play the piano and sing at the same time, an ability she's demonstrated more than once.

When's the last time you saw a Taylor Swift get eaten by a gyroscope dress? Never.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So I bought The Fame Monster deluxe for my girlfriend and ended up keeping it, is this a bad thing?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Triple Tech posted:

Because she isn't? She doesn't look wholesome and blond (like... regular blond). She's not "another teen pop start" cranked out of a machine. She was the immaculate conception of six gay men. And she can actually play the piano and sing at the same time, an ability she's demonstrated more than once.

When's the last time you saw a Taylor Swift get eaten by a gyroscope dress? Never.

You might think she's better but she's certainly square in the 'pop star' category.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LuckySevens posted:

You might think she's better but she's certainly square in the 'pop star' category.
You say that like there's something wrong with that.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I'm a recent convert to the Lady GaGa phenomenon, so I went out and bought The Fame Monster the day after it came out at Target. I get it home and listen to it, and realized something wasn't right. Oh wait, that's right, it's been loving censored! So unhappy about this. One of the things I love most about her is that she is so loving raunchy. Besides, "bluffin' with my muffin" and "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" is okay, but yes, let's please omit "gently caress" and "bitch"? I know I'm kind of late to the party here, but drat that really pisses me off. I hope this is resolved soon, and I do NOT want to have to repurchase the entire album because there was absolutely no warning on it that anything was censored.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
Tomorrow (well, I guess today, technically) Lady Gaga will be on Ellen, interviewing and performing Bad Romance and Speechless. If you can't be bothered to watch it live, her performance of Speechless is already up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRILEQhJqoo&feature=player_embedded

I would say it's one of my least favorite songs on The Fame Monster, but she absolutely nailed it live. It's one of those songs that benefit from the full emotion of a live performance.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Ma_NiC posted:

I'm a recent convert to the Lady GaGa phenomenon, so I went out and bought The Fame Monster the day after it came out at Target. I get it home and listen to it, and realized something wasn't right. Oh wait, that's right, it's been loving censored! So unhappy about this. One of the things I love most about her is that she is so loving raunchy. Besides, "bluffin' with my muffin" and "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" is okay, but yes, let's please omit "gently caress" and "bitch"? I know I'm kind of late to the party here, but drat that really pisses me off. I hope this is resolved soon, and I do NOT want to have to repurchase the entire album because there was absolutely no warning on it that anything was censored.

That's happened with all the different versions. Apparently the next pressing will be uncensored, but yeah, there's a lot of unhappy little monsters around the world at the moment with regards to this, especially since the single of 'Bad Romance' escaped uncensored.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Jesus why do people act like Lady Gaga isn't like every other pop artist? Commercially she is, and it doesn't matter because she's great anyways. She opened for New Kids and the Pussycat Dolls.
I mean she's signed to Kon Live/Interscope. Akons label. Not some indie or something.

Didn't mean to come across as a Gaga-tard, just meant it's interesting that someone with all that talent would want to sound pop and be categorized as pop. I'd be trying to do something different with music if I had that talent.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Why do people hate pop music so much?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

Why do people hate pop music so much?

POPULAR STUFF I HATE STUFF OTHER PEOPLE LIKE ARGH HOW CAN PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS LOW BROW GARBAGE WHEN THERE'S SO MANY GOOD LO-FI INDIE BANDS FROM OBSCURE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO LISTEN TO BECAUSE THEN I HAVE TO HATE THEM TO MAINTAIN MY E-CRED :combination of :mad: and :smug: :

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Music as art vs music as entertainment.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Music as art vs music as entertainment.

Art is entertainment.

Gaga is pop because you go where your influences went and follow in their steps in the hopes to go further than they ever could. Bowie and Madonna were pop acts (still are). It could also be argued that irony is a major factor in her performance and you can't be ironic if you don't embody what you're criticizing. "Just Dance" is a killer dance song about what wastes of life people that get into dance music are, and so on, etc.

The girl is just starting out but to have hit the scene and be instantly coherent in her message and the path she's walking is extremely exciting. The next five years of material she puts out will be fascinating to follow.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Zophar posted:

Art is entertainment.
It's this. The proper place to direct your bitter, I-can't-dance-and-have-no-friends rage is either at people who make pop (or really any) music without actually having their heart in it, or at yourself for being a square. Even if it's not your style of music, you can't deny that she pours herself into her work.

Going to see her on Thursday, sort of wondering if I'll be the only straight dude there. Tempted to work up a monster look for me and my crew. Hoping to hell she does Teeth.

Hotlinked because I think that's a nipple and somehow this thread isn't marked NSFW

There is no God but GaGa and I am Her Monster

Star Phlatulence fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
After reading the thread from beginning to end it's pretty funny to see how the thread has mirrored everyone's conversion from disgust/laughing at Lady GaGa to honest appreciation.

I don't listen to much pop music, but I'm definitely a convert. My friends may think I'm a weirdo but I just don't care. :colbert:

• Locked thread