Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

DrChu posted:

I understand that, but having such a huge dial with such a small range of travel means its gonna be hard to be precise, and considering they expect you to twist your foot to use it its gonna be awkward.
I think it's pretty cool that there's a pedal where you can turn a knob with your foot like that. But I wouldn't want that particular one, I like my distortion "sharper" and non-fuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

NarkyBark posted:

why would anyone want a 2-string bass?

I figured that it would be because of tendinitis or something of the sort. Either that or just the novelty of it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It's such a limited range though, you can't even do a single scale in place. When I first saw it I thought that maybe it was some weird MIDI bass or something, but I dunno. I'm even someone who prefers a 4-string over a 5 but 2, I don't get that.

Pedal seems strange to me. That's not the kind of sound I like so I wouldn't use it anyway, but if they want a foot control why not make it an actual pedal (like a whammy pedal)?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'd give it a shot, but I'm still a fan of the EHX Bass Big Muff for fuzz. That actually sounds more like tube overdrive, but I've got my VT bass for that. We'll see, depends on the price-point.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Lowest I've seen is $130, which is doable for me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, that's not bad. But honestly I'd like to see those trim-pots be more accessible, either on the face or on one of the sides with an actual knob.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

thegloaming posted:

Anyone got any advice for singing while playing bass? I find it almost impossible to play even the simplest rhythm while singing a melody with a slightly different rhythm. I guess it just takes time to do both independently...
Yeah, it's a practice thing. If you're able to, record the bass line how it's supposed to sound using a metronome to make sure you're keeping time. Then, play the recording back and use it as a background to sing and play at the same time. That ensures that you are playing the bass line accurately, which is my biggest problem with being a singing bassist.

You'll get better; just keep practicing! :)

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Anyone have any experience with the Markbass Little Mark II 500W Bass Head?

Very light and portable, but hows the sound?

Scuz, your recommendation of the GK 800RB is still in the air, I found one on craigslist for $300.

Any ideas of how the two compare?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
It really depends on what you're looking for. In my limited experience with MarkBass amps, its sound is very dependent on what sort of bass you have. Active basses play really well with them and their whole pitch is "brings out the sound of your bass" which was misleading for me since I thought I liked the sound of my bass, but turned out that I didn't. The MarkBass amps are what I would call "sterile" but it would help to know what genre you're playing. MB stuff is all over GuitarCenter these days, so I recommend bringing in your bass and trying out a bunch of different stuff.

If you're really hell-bent on the smaller form factor, give the Gallien-Krueger MB2-500 a look. Also $300 is perfect for the 800RB.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

scuz posted:

It really depends on what you're looking for. In my limited experience with MarkBass amps, its sound is very dependent on what sort of bass you have. Active basses play really well with them and their whole pitch is "brings out the sound of your bass" which was misleading for me since I thought I liked the sound of my bass, but turned out that I didn't. The MarkBass amps are what I would call "sterile" but it would help to know what genre you're playing. MB stuff is all over GuitarCenter these days, so I recommend bringing in your bass and trying out a bunch of different stuff.

If you're really hell-bent on the smaller form factor, give the Gallien-Krueger MB2-500 a look. Also $300 is perfect for the 800RB.

Well my bass isnt the best, but it gets the job done. It is an Ibanez soundgear. The tone is limited, but it does most of what I need it to do. Right now I'm playing through a 75w line6 practice amp.

I play reggae, jazz, funk, blues, and rock. So a little bit of everything. I would like a punch for some funky tunes and something to float very low, below everything for some of the reggae ones.

It was a dude at GC who told me about the MarkBass heads, which is why I was inquiring here.. because often they are just trying to sell you things. But that may not be the case. Thanks a bunch for your help :)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I have the combo version of the LMII. Performs very well, but I would not call it sterile. Of anything it is less colored than other amps. I love the sound of the gk, even had a few over the years, but it is a very colored gk sound. The markbass amps are more natural to your bass sound and can be colored slightly. You need to sit down with these for only a few minutes to see what settings work for your bass or basses. Passive or active does not matter. I have gigged with both and interchanged in gigs as well. DI works fine to soundboards.

Reliability - very good. Have not had a warranty claim on mine either so I can not comment on that. Questions?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sterile is the only word that I can think of for it, but you're right, it's the wrong word. The last MarkBass amplifier I had was the LittleMark 1; a big, ugly yellow thing that weighed a ton and didn't have a VLF knob on it. Couldn't really get a picked tone out of it and I was pretty disappointed with the thing. Like I said, not a lot of experience with the amps. There was an LMII at the TalkBass meet I went to and it had a lot of presence to it, but I thought it was due to the $8k bass the guy was playing.

Here's a listing for an LMII on TalkBass: clicky. $425 is as much as you should pay for an LMII unless it comes with extras.

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 30, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you want a small but powerful and wonderful sounding head, look at the Genz Benz shuttle series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Little Mark II is a great amp. Very powerful and very light; going to this from a huge-rear end Peavey was a lifesaver. Sound is good as-is for jazz or funk or reggae. For rock I like a Sansamp in front.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My mouser order has been placed :neckbeard:

After I mod the DS-1, does anyone want sound clips? Do you want DS-1 soundclips BEFORE I do the mod, or does everyone know that it pretty much sounds like rear end and I can just do the post-mod recordings?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I have a LMII combo and a 2x10 cab, with the vle knob at 830 and no eq I find I have a really warm punchy sound that sits extremely well in a mix. I mostly play a passive jaguar bass or P. Sounds wonderful with bass>cable>amp, and with an overdrive.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's a poo-poo on the 800RB that I have (copy/pasted from TalkBass). Someone suggested that I need more efficient cabinets, so I guess my options are mod a fan into my 800RB (which may not even help), get new, more efficient cabinets, or double my driver count which would allow me to back off of the volume a bit.

My 800RB has started overheating and there's a perceived loss of volume. I'm running it at 4 ohms with the master at about 65%, volume 90%, boost 10% for about 3 hours. It's an older model with the laminated transformer if that makes any difference. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the top to allow to mount a fan in there over the transistor since that seems to be where the heat is coming from.

Am I crazy? Has this happened to anyone else?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I might just take warwick5s' advice and trade my 4-ohm 2x12 in for an 8-ohm, then buy another 8-ohm 4x12. That should double my volume and allow me to back off on the master/volume knobs a bit and hope that helps. Still going with my "cut a hole, mount a fan" idea, though.

Edit: Alrighty, I'm building those Jacks that kynetx built in the silly thread I made. Cost effective and it seems like my volume issues will be solved so that I can turn the amp down a bit and still be heard.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Was gonna post this in the "Post your sketches" thread but since it's just a rough bassline thus far, figured it'd be better suited here.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun writing songs while purposefully putting in bits of songs that are very influential to me. Kind of a "shout-out" to the original artist.

I call it, "What're Melons, Man?" (shout-out to Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man)

I flubbed a few bits, particularly at the turnaround at the end. The original piece does a bit of a time-change, and I'm trying to keep it all the same, at least for now since I'm just working with drum-loops in Guitar Rig.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Was gonna post this in the "Post your sketches" thread but since it's just a rough bassline thus far, figured it'd be better suited here.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun writing songs while purposefully putting in bits of songs that are very influential to me. Kind of a "shout-out" to the original artist.

I call it, "What're Melons, Man?" (shout-out to Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man)

I flubbed a few bits, particularly at the turnaround at the end. The original piece does a bit of a time-change, and I'm trying to keep it all the same, at least for now since I'm just working with drum-loops in Guitar Rig.
Haha, great idea you have there! Sounds pretty awesome to me, sir. Still using your old recording setup? :3:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Haha, great idea you have there! Sounds pretty awesome to me, sir. Still using your old recording setup? :3:

Nah, guitar rig.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Nah, guitar rig.
:psyduck: explain yourself!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

:psyduck: explain yourself!

Because it's easier to play through my computer than to lug my entire gigging rig up and down 2 flights of stairs to my room :confused:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Because it's easier to play through my computer than to lug my entire gigging rig up and down 2 flights of stairs to my room :confused:
I'm still confused. Where does the guitar rig come in if you're playing through your computer? Nevermind, it doesn't matter. Good recording no matter how it happened :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

I'm still confused. Where does the guitar rig come in if you're playing through your computer? Nevermind, it doesn't matter. Good recording no matter how it happened :)

Guitar Rig by Native Instruments. It's a computer program w/ amp, cabinet, and effects models.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Guitar Rig by Native Instruments. It's a computer program w/ amp, cabinet, and effects models.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's my fault for being plebian in regards to computer software. When I read/hear "guitar rig" I think of a physical amplifier.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Do you use the bass amp model in Guitar Rig, scarf? I've never really been able to get a tone I liked a whole lot out of it and some little tips and tricks if you have any would be cool. Also do you have any experience with Ampeg's software, AmpegSVX?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Plastic Snake posted:

Do you use the bass amp model in Guitar Rig, scarf? I've never really been able to get a tone I liked a whole lot out of it and some little tips and tricks if you have any would be cool. Also do you have any experience with Ampeg's software, AmpegSVX?

Actually I was the same way... Then I decided to essentially do the old SVT channel-bridge trick through GR. I added in another "Bass Pro" amp in front of the other one. Set one to focus primarily on highs and with the bright switch on, and the other on lows and mids (granted I never completely cut ANY frequency from either).

Here are my settings:

Amp 1
Bright: ON
Ultra lo/hi and graph EQ: OFF
Volume: +14.5db
Gain: -22.8db
Drive: 5.9db
Bass: 0db (noon)
Mid: 0db (noon)
Mid-freq: 930hz
Treble: 8.4db

Amp 2
All switches off.
Volume: +17db
Gain: -20.8db
Drive: 5.9db
Bass: 3.0db
Mid: 3.0db
Mid-freq: 765hz
Treble: -4.2db

Never tried Ampeg's software but I *THINK* the guy who recorded my band's demo (before I joined) used one of those plug-ins in the studio and it sounds pretty drat good (well, the tone does, his playing sucks).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for the tips on singing and playing at the same time. I actually surprised myself today when I could do it on one of the songs I had been playing for a while -- it's all in the muscle memory!

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

thegloaming posted:

Thanks for the tips on singing and playing at the same time. I actually surprised myself today when I could do it on one of the songs I had been playing for a while -- it's all in the muscle memory!

Congrats! I remember trying to practice doing it and it really does just come down to learning a song well enough to play it on autopilot and it'll eventually just "click" (at least that's what happened to me.

Also thanks for posting those scarf, I never really though about stacking two amps together like that but I'll have to play around with it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Plastic Snake posted:

Congrats! I remember trying to practice doing it and it really does just come down to learning a song well enough to play it on autopilot and it'll eventually just "click" (at least that's what happened to me.

Also thanks for posting those scarf, I never really though about stacking two amps together like that but I'll have to play around with it.

No prob. Next time you see someone playing an old SVT, take a look at what they're plugged into. A lot of SVT players use a little patch cable on the amp going from the Bright to Normal channels to activate the two... Each channel has it's strong and weak points, so why not make use of both of them? :)

Then there are some people who go flat out and bridge multiple amps together. Those people are called "rich." Or, "playing off the label's bank account."

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone identify this bass for me?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone identify this bass for me?

Could be any multitude of 60s-70s Japanese basses, like a Teisco. If it is, they've got some cool camp value, but generally considered to be novelty instruments.

But who knows, could be something really cool I don't even know about.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cool thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Where'd you find it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Craigslist, browsing for jazz basses and teles. The guy thinks its a Kay. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1488430093.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Also, worth $250? http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1462456440.html

And how much should I ask for a 4 string MIM Zone from 2004?

Thanks

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Also, worth $250? http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1462456440.html

And how much should I ask for a 4 string MIM Zone from 2004?

Thanks
Fernandes makes some decent instruments, actually. I would take the Fernie for a test drive and make sure the construction is sound (straight neck, good fret job, etc) and if you don't like the electronics you can always upgrade them. I'd say it's worth the $250.

I dunno what the Zone is, but I "paid" $400 for a MiM Jazz made about the same time, but it was loaded with upgrades; Aguilar OBP-1, Bartolini pickups, and a Schaller rolling bridge.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Zone replaced the P-bass Lyte in the early 2000s. I'd say 300-400 would be pretty fair. I'd actually suggest becoming a supporting member over at the TalkBass forums and sell it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Zone replaced the P-bass Lyte in the early 2000s. I'd say 300-400 would be pretty fair. I'd actually suggest becoming a supporting member over at the TalkBass forums and sell it there.
Seconding this. Weird stuff like that gets snatched up pretty quickly if you price it right.