Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Good dad, horrible wrestling fan.

I think you come out ahead here, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is there any word on what HBK, HHH, Vince, etc think of Flair wrestling again? Around the retirement festivities, I remember everything being so sentimental between them all what with the ceremonies, Rolex watches, "I'll never wrestle again out of respect for HBK" talk, etc. Now with Flair out there cutting heel promos about how they forced him to retire and whatnot, is it "oh that zany Flair needs the money to pay off his wives" or does everyone think he's making a fool of himself?

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
There's nothing in the parenting handbook that says it's acceptable to teach your son to love mediocrity. :colbert: Maybe you should take him to see Twilight next, that's popular too.

;)

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

CrankyProf posted:

I stand before you, Wrestlehut brethren, in shame.

In Target this afternoon, my son asked for John Cena pajamas. And I bought them.

I feel dirty.

John Cena is a good human being, if an obnoxious wrestler. As long as you dont buy Jeff Hardy pajamas, there's nothing to feel dirty about.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CrankyProf posted:

I stand before you, Wrestlehut brethren, in shame.

In Target this afternoon, my son asked for John Cena pajamas. And I bought them.

I feel dirty.

Does your son know that when he wears them, you will in fact be able to still see him?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

An odd question: When was the last time Cena actually SAID "You Can't See Me?"

It's weird, because it's his catchphrase and yet it feels like he hasn't said it in forever.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

He'll probably want the new John Cena pj's in a different colour scheme that come out in three months time too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Violator posted:

Is there any word on what HBK, HHH, Vince, etc think of Flair wrestling again? Around the retirement festivities, I remember everything being so sentimental between them all what with the ceremonies, Rolex watches, "I'll never wrestle again out of respect for HBK" talk, etc. Now with Flair out there cutting heel promos about how they forced him to retire and whatnot, is it "oh that zany Flair needs the money to pay off his wives" or does everyone think he's making a fool of himself?

I recall reading some interview thing from a few months back about Flair WANTING to get back into wrestling, and Triple H or Shawn Michaels said something along the lines of,"Well that's Ric for you!"

They (WWE) gave him an incredible send-off, and have done a good job of keeping him retired from WWE, and as far as I know he has avoided actually wrestling in North America since (and for far longer than anyone thought he would last), anything he says during heel promos is hardly going to upset any of his friends since he's just doing heel promos.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

It's weird, because it's his catchphrase and yet it feels like he hasn't said it in forever.

He wears the shirt with the saying on it, it's in his entrance music and he gets the crowd to say it in basically every match.

It's kinda like how DX stopped saying suck it - they just had two words for you.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Violator posted:

Flair was only willing to wrestle again with HBK and Vince's blessing, so they don't really care too much. They probably understand better than anyone that no one retires from wrestling.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

Neodoomium posted:

Good mom, horrible wrestling fan.

I think you come out ahead here, ma'am.

Fixed it. :)

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

Doesn't he usually mouth it to his opponents as he waves his hand back and forth in front of his face? I swear I saw him do it Monday night...

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Why is Jake Roberts referred to as Jake the Sanem on this forum?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I recall reading some interview thing from a few months back about Flair WANTING to get back into wrestling, and Triple H or Shawn Michaels said something along the lines of,"Well that's Ric for you!"

They (WWE) gave him an incredible send-off, and have done a good job of keeping him retired from WWE, and as far as I know he has avoided actually wrestling in North America since (and for far longer than anyone thought he would last), anything he says during heel promos is hardly going to upset any of his friends since he's just doing heel promos.

And as far as I know, part of the "promise" he made to HBK and Vince was that he wouldn't wrestle in North America again after his send-off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HorseHeadBed posted:

A guy made a post about him once and managed to INCREDIBLY mangle his typing of "snake" on his keyboard.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

HorseHeadBed posted:

It was a typo in a title thread about him a long time ago. Look at your keyboard. See how it's nearly impossible to accidentally type "sanem" instead of "snake?"

That, combined with "sanem" sounding vaguely like the title of a holy man in some foreign culture, means it stuck.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Yeah, that takes some doing. Thanks, fellas!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CrankyProf posted:

Doesn't he usually mouth it to his opponents as he waves his hand back and forth in front of his face? I swear I saw him do it Monday night...

Well the reason no one remembers him doing that is because they can't see him do it.

Also do you mark out for the heel in front of your kids? Do they look at you weird?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think "You can't see me" is more a throwback to his earlier gimmick. Much like pumping up his sneakers. And his throwback jerseys. Were also throwbacks.

Throwback.

Mind you his other catchphrase is "The champ is hurr", so not a great selection by any means. I love how he tries to awkwardly get it in occasionally even when not the champ.

Much like the NAO's intro speil when they weren't tag champs.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

KungFu Grip posted:

Well the reason no one remembers him doing that is because they can't see him do it.

Also do you mark out for the heel in front of your kids? Do they look at you weird?

Usually, wrestling is on after bedtime for them. They see a few YouTube clips, and I've been known to call them "Little Jobbers" from time to time.

Both the 8-year-old and the 5-year-old are CHIKARA fans, though. The boy, in particular, loves him some Ants.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Which is why I didn't really side with Regal, either, although that was just as much Regal misunderstanding what it meant to give Goldberg a "good match."

If he literally refused to learn how to sell, then he got what was coming to him.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Pneub posted:

If he literally refused to learn how to sell, then he got what was coming to him.

If you watch that Regal/Goldberg match without knowing that Goldberg is no-selling everything it doesn't look that strange. Your typical mark wouldn't notice anything weird going on.

Regal merely upped the level of his offence to get the responses he wanted. Which means turning it all the way up to "stiffing the poo poo out of him" if need be.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Umbra Dubium posted:

If you watch that Regal/Goldberg match without knowing that Goldberg is no-selling everything it doesn't look that strange. Your typical mark wouldn't notice anything weird going on.

Regal merely upped the level of his offence to get the responses he wanted. Which means turning it all the way up to "stiffing the poo poo out of him" if need be.

The way Meltzer (I think) explained it, WCW told Regal to give Goldberg a good match. Regal, with a background in old-style carny wrestling, took that to mean "guide this big, untrained lug through a back-and-forth fight, hold his hand the whole way and in this case, let him win."

WCW, of course, meant for Regal to sell his rear end off in a squash that looked good.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

CrankyProf posted:

Usually, wrestling is on after bedtime for them. They see a few YouTube clips, and I've been known to call them "Little Jobbers" from time to time.

Both the 8-year-old and the 5-year-old are CHIKARA fans, though. The boy, in particular, loves him some Ants.

The Colony is awesome, they got my sister into CHIKARA (well, that and UltraMantis promos on youtube). Have you told them about Carpenter Ant yet...? I would love to know a kid's reaction to that.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
When is the last time Orton has landed a really good punt? He needs to layout kofi before their next match.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

He says it literally every time he does the five knuckle shuffle.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

The way Meltzer (I think) explained it, WCW told Regal to give Goldberg a good match. Regal, with a background in old-style carny wrestling, took that to mean "guide this big, untrained lug through a back-and-forth fight, hold his hand the whole way and in this case, let him win."

WCW, of course, meant for Regal to sell his rear end off in a squash that looked good.

Honestly, knowing that it was all scripted but not following dirt back then, I remember the match and thinking "boy, Regal's loving great." Like it didn't look bad to me, just that Goldberg hit his first real challenge in the technical master Regal. Even though I thought Regal was just a creepy fat British guy with a lovely haircut. He just seemed so good at rasslin!

It came off as Goldberg's first good match, I think is what I'm saying.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

My favorite Goldberg story has Raven trying to teach Goldberg how to sell. Goldberg is unresponsive, and Goldberg tells Raven he wont sell because "he wouldn't sell in a real fight". Raven gives up trying to teach Goldberg to sell.

Goldberg's not a bad person, he's just a huge mark for himself.
That is hilarious. Just imagine Raven trying to explain that Goldberg needs to act like he's being hurt when he is punched, and Goldberg is just completely bewildered, all "...But if you hit me I wouldn't be hurt, I'd just kill you" :confused:

And Raven just throws up his arms, like "gently caress it, I'm starting to come down anyway, and I haven't even found a rat to plow yet."

Also, Crankyprof, don't feel bad about the Cena jammies, your kid likes a character that is marketed to be his own personal superhero. Cena isn't my favorite wrestler by a long shot, but he is by all accounts a very nice guy and he really seems to care about his fans and the kids that idolize him.

If he wanted some Hogan poo poo, you should feel bad because Hogan is an awful wrestler and an rear end in a top hat, but Cena spends half his life making dying children happy, so padding his wallet isn't such a bad thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Kids are stupid and like dumb things. My baby's favorite thing in the world is a cardboard box, I would buy her cardboard box jammies if I could.

My point is kids like dumb poo poo.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

FishBulb posted:

Kids are stupid and like dumb things. My baby's favorite thing in the world is a cardboard box, I would buy her cardboard box jammies if I could.

My point is kids like dumb poo poo.

Now I want to buy your child "Dr. Cube" pajamas.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Happy Happyist posted:

The Colony is awesome, they got my sister into CHIKARA (well, that and UltraMantis promos on youtube). Have you told them about Carpenter Ant yet...? I would love to know a kid's reaction to that.

There's a new ant!? Hell, I haven't been following CHIKARA enough as I want to. They are expensive to follow.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Hockles posted:

There's a new ant!? Hell, I haven't been following CHIKARA enough as I want to. They are expensive to follow.

The two main ants are still Fire and Soldier. (Current Chikara Campeones de Parejas, too!) Worker Ant was retired back in February by F.I.S.T., specifically by Chuck Taylor's Omega Driver on the floor of the venue. Green Ant made his first appearance that same night, coming out to check on the fallen Worker, though Green didn't have a match for like two months.

Back in May, at Anniversario Yang, toward the end of the Colony vs F.I.S.T. (Icarus & Chuck Taylor) Masks vs Hair match, Akuma took out Green, but then a brown ant (Carpenter Ant) showed up and took out Akuma.

Carpenter made his official debut in August at Young Lions Cup VII, made a pretty good showing against Soldier (heavy striking and drat good submissions), and teamed with Green a few times through the fall. He also won the Torneo Cibernetico, eliminating Soldier with an INVERTED Chikara Special.

Then at the end of the Season 8 Finale, "Three Fisted Tales," he turned out to be part of the BDK group, along with Vokoder/Tim Donst, Sara Del Rey, Daizee Haze, Ares, Claudio, a big Viking guy, and an unnamed eighth member. And Carpenter unmasked to reveal that he was Pinkie Sanchez.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

If he wanted some Hogan poo poo, you should feel bad because Hogan is an awful wrestler and an rear end in a top hat, but Cena spends half his life making dying children happy, so padding his wallet isn't such a bad thing.
Did you type the wrong name? Hogan's the one who spends all his time with Make a Wish. It's the only thing that's unquestioningly decent of him.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

Did you type the wrong name? Hogan's the one who spends all his time with Make a Wish. It's the only thing that's unquestioningly decent of him.

Hogan might too, I dunno I don't really keep up on him but Cena does tons of Make A Wish.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So did Rock. I wonder if it's something Vince turns guys on to. Goldberg did it all the time too. It's pretty big in Wrestling.

Make a Wish doesn't pay people, right? Because that would make it way less cool.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

Deranged Hermit posted:

*CRAPADO*

I laughed WAY too hard over this. Like, falling out of my chair levels of laughing.

My hat is off to you, good sir.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Make a Wish doesn't pay people, right? Because that would make it way less cool.

No, it's strictly volunteer. Community service without the court order.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

LividLiquid posted:

Most requested (hogan) is very different from the person who fulfills the most wishes (cena).

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wazzu posted:

Most requested (hogan) is very different from the person who fulfills the most wishes (cena).

Well that's kinda sad for the kids who think Hogan is coming to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Well that's kinda sad for the kids who think Hogan is coming to see them.

The saddest Make a Wish story ever is the one in Bret's book where all the little kid wanted to do was meet Ultimate Warrior and Warrior was like "I'LL DO IT LATER" and he never ended up doing it and the kid died like two days later. :(