Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I resigned from my boring full time job making local TVCs today to take up a 5 month contract on a feature film. I found it hard giving up the security even though I hate the place, I'm still in my first industry job so this is a step into the unknown. I guess that makes me freelance now.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who gave me useful advice on my models and stuff, they basically got me this gig.

Watch this space for me complaining about being unemployed in 6 months :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

I don't know what to say

I'm completely at a loss for words

Jesus

I was too. I showed it to some friends. I draw the line at coworkers.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Well I resigned from my boring full time job making local TVCs today to take up a 5 month contract on a feature film. I found it hard giving up the security even though I hate the place, I'm still in my first industry job so this is a step into the unknown. I guess that makes me freelance now.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who gave me useful advice on my models and stuff, they basically got me this gig.

Good luck man you make fantastic models. I can't imagine you not getting another job pretty quickly after this contract finishes.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Just thought I would through this out there. The place I am at is looking for some Senior Maya FX-TDs, Senior Nuke or Shake Compositors and Senior Texture Artists at the moment. So if you want to come to Vancouver and work on what looks like it will be a cool film let me know and I can send you the recruiters details.

I don't have PMs on SA but you can email me at mashed_penguin [at] hotmail.com

EoinCannon posted:

Watch this space for me complaining about being unemployed in 6 months

Good luck man. Don't worry about the contract thing. It only gets easier as you get more experience. Not saying that there won't be downtimes but as long as you are prepared to move its not usually too bad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I had no idea you were still in your first job Eoin - I now feel like me moving on is so much further away. haha.

Good luck!

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Just thought I would through this out there. The place I am at is looking for some Senior Maya FX-TDs, Senior Nuke or Shake Compositors and Senior Texture Artists at the moment. So if you want to come to Vancouver and work on what looks like it will be a cool film let me know and I can send you the recruiters details.

I don't have PMs on SA but you can email me at mashed_penguin [at] hotmail.com

Good luck man. Don't worry about the contract thing. It only gets easier as you get more experience. Not saying that there won't be downtimes but as long as you are prepared to move its not usually too bad.

I think I know where you at are now :-D

I'm an FX TD but not senior, and Maya makes me wanna hurt myself :saddowns:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

I think I know where you at are now :-D

I'm an FX TD but not senior, and Maya makes me wanna hurt myself :saddowns:

Hehe in Vancouver its not that there are too many to choose from. Pretty easy to figure out if you read the various job boards.

I'm pretty sure that this definition Senior that they are after for FX-TDs is probably in the 3-5 years+ range.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

EoinCannon posted:

Dude I know the feeling. I just took a 4 month contract job for a game. I've always worked as full-time employee with a studio. I'm nervous as hell about what is going to happen when this contract is up.

Good luck man! your work is great and you totally deserve it!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Has anyone had a Max crash before in the Material Editor where when I click on either the Standard or the None boxes it freezes? I can apply a texture by dragging it in on to the None button but it's obviously less than ideal. I guess a reinstall is in order :-/

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Have you got any third party maps that may have broken/corrupted? If it's crashing when it tries to pull the list up then it's finding something it doesnt like.

May be worth stripping that out/copying them over from another machine before a full re-install.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I don't think so but I'll ask the I.T guy and see if he's put anything in. Thanks man.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Is there any easy way to quickly delete all double faces in 3dsmax? For that matter, is there a better method for curved surfaces like floors or tunnels rather than slicing tube primitives? Also, how can I turn off the backfacing polygons? They don't get rendered, and I don't want to see them in the viewport.

I was dicking with splines, but apparently a 90 degree arc does not actually end up creating a perfect 90 degree piece of geometry. :downs:

slovach fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 27, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Right click mesh-> properties -> check backface cull.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 27, 2009

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
edit: kinda answered my own question I suppose. :|

slovach fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 27, 2009

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one
Does anyone know if you have to make any changes to Maya09 to do batch renders?
For some reason it works when I am at uni but when i try and run the exact same batch file on my home computer it says it can not find the files even though i set the project to the correct folder.

wil
Mar 2, 2009
For some reason my UV seams are rendering on my image. Do you guys have any clue why this would happen?

Click here for the full 1280x480 image.

This is my first attempt at UVing something this complex...so I could be doing it completely wrong.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Anyone know about how low poly a low poly character/object for an iPhone would be?

wil posted:

For some reason my UV seams are rendering on my image. Do you guys have any clue why this would happen?

Presuming you used the UVs as a template to paint, you don't accidentally still have the UV layer enabled in the final materials bitmap do you?

wil
Mar 2, 2009
No, I had thought that was the problem, but the diffuse map has no lines on it... really weird!

#edit

Ah, I forgot that TGA saves alpha channel information, so the lines were in the alpha channel. Removed it and it works great!

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

wil fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 29, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Anyone know about how low poly a low poly character/object for an iPhone would be?

Presuming you used the UVs as a template to paint, you don't accidentally still have the UV layer enabled in the final materials bitmap do you?

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232

Search that thread for iPhone, should be some good reference.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
What would be the best way to quickly model some ribbed cabling like the black part of this in Maya? I'm pretty new to the software, having only started using it on this college course, so sorry if this is really really easy.

I could probably easily just do it as a texture but I'd rather do it in the geometry itself. Am I gonna have to add about a million divisions and extrude in and out?

I have looked around the net for tutorials, but I'm not exactly sure what to have looked for, and "ribbed cable tutorial" isn't helping much.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fool Circle posted:

What would be the best way to quickly model some ribbed cabling like the black part of this in Maya? I'm pretty new to the software, having only started using it on this college course, so sorry if this is really really easy.

I could probably easily just do it as a texture but I'd rather do it in the geometry itself. Am I gonna have to add about a million divisions and extrude in and out?

I have looked around the net for tutorials, but I'm not exactly sure what to have looked for, and "ribbed cable tutorial" isn't helping much.

Why don't you want to do it with a texture? A displacement map would do that pretty easily, but with geometry you're looking at a lot of niggly extrusion or a lot of tiny pieces of geometry.

If you don't want to do a material and it doesn't need to be one mesh, I'd suggest modeling a small section of the ribbing and just duplicating/instancing it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to use maya but I the way I would approach this would be to make a cylinder with as many height segments as you want ridges, select the edge loops along the length, chamfer them and extrude the resulting faces. If you want the ridges to be spiralling along the length then this is more difficult. I've found a good way to do it in max using a spring object but no idea for Maya.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fool Circle posted:

I don't know poo poo about Maya but in Max if you wanted to model this you'd do this:

Max a spline for the cable (this is assuming you want some bends).
Set it to renderable (you could also loft a circle down it, I suppose), and tweak the settings so the edgeloops are about equidistant.
Drop an edit poly modifier on the top.
select an edgeloop running around the thing, use ring and loop to select all of them.
Extrude/Bevel/Chamfer as needed.
Profit.

If you did it this way in Max you'd also be able to reposition the cable by dropping down the stack.

Realistically though you could do this just as easily for anything that isn't a super-closeup by just making a renderable spline and having Max autogenerate UVS, then drop a texture on it.

Unfortunately I don't know poo poo about maya maybe someone who has used it in the past 4 years could translate this process into the right buttons :)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Chenghiz posted:

Why don't you want to do it with a texture? A displacement map would do that pretty easily, but with geometry you're looking at a lot of niggly extrusion or a lot of tiny pieces of geometry.

If you don't want to do a material and it doesn't need to be one mesh, I'd suggest modeling a small section of the ribbing and just duplicating/instancing it.

I didn't think of displacement maps. I just didn't want it to look flat and crappy since there's gonna be sort of a close up 'camera panning along cable' thing going on, and if it was just flat colour it could look a bit crappy. I'll look into displacement maps then, thanks.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

So I made up this high poly fenced panel, and got ready to bake down to low poly for a game asset, when I started thinking about how I know very little about rendering in 3ds max. Shaders, Materials and Mental Ray are all things I've not got round to learning about quite yet. So! Can anyone point me in the right direction for the basics? I guess my main problem is I don't know where to start with it all. I am googling around but any top goon insight would be lovely!

Here's the prop:

And the notionn was inspired by Ceebee's TF2 turret:
http://www.curtbinder.com/TF2Sentry.jpg
yeah like that please :v:

E: I'm pretty broke, so I stuck these on my christmas wishlist :)

Fearian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My sentry was made using all procedural textures/shaders in Maya with mental ray. However I never baked the textures out into a map to throw on a low poly model.

I'm not sure about how you would go about baking them out in Max though. For games, I'd assume the fence would be a double sided plane with an alpha map for the transparency and a normal map to give the wires the appearance of thickness. You'd use the diffuse (color), spec, and normal map to break up the uniform look of the fence. Basically since it's supposed to be a game asset you have to figure out how to bake down textures/displacement/alpha into their respective game engine maps (diffuse, normal, etc)

Somebody else can probably help a little better, I'm not too familiar with Max. Take some keywords from this post and throw it into google, gameartisans, polycount, cgsociety's forum searches.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Fool Circle posted:

keep in mind that that tubing is actually a spiral, so a close up shot would probably reveal a bit of an angle to those divisions. If I had to model it (in max), I'd make a helix with 4 sides, 1 rotation, and just tall enough to fit the inner groove in there, convert it to a poly, make an array for however long you wanted it, weld them together, select an edge and loop the selection all the way around/down its length, clone the edges out to snap to the opposite side and weld them together. Displacement would be much better and look just as good with far less work. A simple gradient ramp with enough uvw offset to make it spiral around it would sort it out.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

This is really good if you want to start from the basics of baking out a normal map in Max. http://poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Ah, sorry I guess I was being unclear. I was baking it down in Max for a game prop, something I know how to do, when I realised I know nothing about procedural materials or rendering in Max/Maya. Which is what I was interested in learning about. Vague I know, that's because I don't have a good starting point. v:shobon:v

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Fearian posted:

Ah, sorry I guess I was being unclear. I was baking it down in Max for a game prop, something I know how to do, when I realised I know nothing about procedural materials or rendering in Max/Maya. Which is what I was interested in learning about. Vague I know, that's because I don't have a good starting point. v:shobon:v

For proper rendering of metallic surfaces you'll want to try a Cook-Torrance shader. Or at the very least, something using Beckman distribution for the highlight (Cook-Torrance shaders use Beckman distribution for the highlights; I think it's the 'g' term in the shader, but don't quote me on that)

I don't remember if Mental Ray has an explicit Cook-Torrance shader though, or if they called it a BRDF shader or something else. A Cook-Torrance shader is generally how a metal shader is implemented (although a lot of people just use 3 samples for red, green, and blue instead of integrating the whole spectrum for proper brdf, but this won't matter unless you're working on super-photorealism).

So just look for something using the words Cook-Torrance, or BRDF on it. The characteristics of a metal shader are that they have very bright highlights, and a Fresnel effect across the surface.

Sorry if that's a lot of words, but I'm just throwing out a bunch of terms so you'll know what to look for when playing with shaders. And you *will* have to play with them - no shader program is perfect, and often times stuff may be mislabeled or use slightly incorrect formulas. (I've seen shaders that have added when they were supposed to multiply and result in odd ring artifacts - I think the Max Blinn shader does this)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
MAX users out there should check out the demo of Hairfarm
http://www.cyberradiance.com/hairfarm/
We're beta testing it at the moment and so far it's way better than ornatrix/hair fx and max standard hair and fur. Renders quickly (although we just got new i7s) and best of all the lighting and shadows are predicatble.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
edit: nm.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm doing an anime character in Max.

Figured the eyes should be animated textures and not built like actual eyes because the 3d eyes ruins the whole anime look.

Hair I'm figuring building out of just boxes and extruding/manipulating in sub-object mode.

Textures, I'm abit iffy on though. Toon shader for max may or may not be ideal because it generates too many thick black lines and it has a tendency to slow everything down to a crawl when rendering. I'm wondering if I can still get a believeable 2D look with just flat colors.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Two things I am currently working on, the creature is pretty much done as I feel pretty much burnt out by it but the briefcase is still very much a work in progress.

Please comment or criticize :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Pretty cool google search for 3d models:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/advsearch

Been too long since I posted anything.

Something I am working on.

This is based on a friend's photo session, so I have some nice reference. Here is some concept art I made from one of the shots as well.

All very WIP, but it has been too long since I posted anything.

Odddzy: If that is a leather case, you might want to give it a touch of spec. Also give the straps or brackets around the case a different color. Can we see the character subdivided and with a wireframe?
There is also no clasp or locking mechanism on the case.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2009

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Been working on the body

I think I need to add some sort of cuff to the sleevs because they just look odd without it.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
So I just got offered an interview at a company in NYC... but it's for a 3-month unpaid internship. I'm going to take the interview anyway, but as far as taking the internship, how the gently caress do they expect someone to live in manhattan on zero money? How does that work? I've had calls before from some big awesome companies before, but never flown out for interviews I think because I'm about 3,000 miles away from most companies I want to work at. So now that I've got an opportunity to interview, it's for an unpaid job in one of the most expensive cities of all time. WTF man.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

John Blaster posted:

So I just got offered an interview at a company in NYC... but it's for a 3-month unpaid internship. I'm going to take the interview anyway, but as far as taking the internship, how the gently caress do they expect someone to live in manhattan on zero money? How does that work? I've had calls before from some big awesome companies before, but never flown out for interviews I think because I'm about 3,000 miles away from most companies I want to work at. So now that I've got an opportunity to interview, it's for an unpaid job in one of the most expensive cities of all time. WTF man.

Are you sure it's an unpaid internship?

I mean, where I work we have 1-2 month internships. We put people up in corporate housing [hotel for long term business days], and they get a shuttle bus to work and a modest food allowance.

I mean, why spend money on flying an intern in? It doesn't make sense.

I know big studios who are too cheap to fly experienced senior td's in for an interview :)

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Yeah, I realized that in my haste I completely left out some crucial geographical information. I live on the East Coast. I'm only a few hundred miles from NYC, so I can make the drive for an interview there. As far as the companies I'd like to work at 3,000 miles away, those are in California. I've had calls from them but not much follow up. So now that I have an opportunity to really sit down and interview, it's for a job that gives me no money. And it's NYC. And I'm in a loooot of debt from school. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
By unpaid they usually will put you up in housing with food money, it just wont be a wage you can save any money from.