Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Toadsniff posted:

Am I to understand correctly that the emperor of the Kushan Empire turned into a loving magic sparkle tree? I miss huge mile long feet stomping armies...

Now we just need a giant spider to suck it dry.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

http://i36.tinypic.com/2upb8qv.jpg

I just saw this. I think I've been reading the manga from roughly 2003-2004 so I had a strong suspicion it had been a steady decline like that.

Unfortunately at this rate that would mean within the next 5 years it was cancelled. How much lower than 8 chapters a year can it get and still make sense to keep going?

I think I predicted there would be no more than 8 chapters this year at the start of the year. :v:

EDIT: drat I said 6 chapters. Well I guess I should be happy I was a little off!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If Hunter x Hunter can go on hiatuses that eclipse a year without getting cancelled then I see no reason why Berserk can't do the same.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

wid posted:

Now we just need a giant spider to suck it dry.....

A giant spider made of pure darkness, conceived out of leftovers from the world's beginning?

(Now you've got me imagining Miura illustrating the Silmarillion.)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
And now for something truly horrifying:

That's my face when you people bump the thread with no news/chapters.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
I am sad that berserk the anime only lasted 25 episodes :/

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It aired at like 1am in the morning or something and ended up with fairly poor ratings. I think they realise it's a huge risk trying to make money from an ultra-violent-troll-rape-fest of an anime and have hence been very hesitent to ever make a second season.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Mr. Deathy posted:

It aired at like 1am in the morning or something and ended up with fairly poor ratings. I think they realise it's a huge risk trying to make money from an ultra-violent-troll-rape-fest of an anime and have hence been very hesitent to ever make a second season.

According to the nerds at Skullknight, all they're really waiting on for a second season is Miura to choose what to cover.

some guy from SkullKnight.net posted:

Hello folks, some interesting news.

The guys from NTV Japan (producers/licensers of the Berserk anime) were in our studio yesterday, and of course, John Sirabella (CEO of Media Blasters) finally was able to ask them face to face about a new Berserk TV series and about the pictures that were released. Here is the answer:

"We have the money and desire to create a new Berserk, but nothing is being done yet because Miura and Hakusensha have not decided which part of the story to do, and how many episodes it should run."

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Well, if they're relying on Miura, they might as well sit back and get comfortable, because it'll take him about 3 years or so to make up his mind.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'd say it should probably only be like 26 episodes max and only cover up until maybe...where Gutts gets the armour and fights the dragon guy?

That would probably be a good dramatic way to finish up a season, which would leave another series to start with Gutts beginning his journey with the armour and his group, attempting to get to Elfheim and what not.

The only thing I see being a struggle for them though is how they can logically introduce Skullknight and Puck into the story and whether or not a new series would be reliant on people having saw the old one for backstory.

I mean it's pretty essential that people know the story of Gutts and Griffith, but can they really make a new series all these years later and just assume people have seen the previous one?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I don't understand the problem people have with Skull Knight and Puck appearing. Just make the new series start from near the eclipse, have Skull Knight pop up in and save Guts then later have them have a short conversation where SK maybe introduces himself or something. I don't remember, but isn't that the first time they meet anyways?
For Puck they can just throw in the original scene from the manga somewhere.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Demicol posted:

I don't understand the problem people have with Skull Knight and Puck appearing. Just make the new series start from near the eclipse, have Skull Knight pop up in and save Guts then later have them have a short conversation where SK maybe introduces himself or something. I don't remember, but isn't that the first time they meet anyways?
For Puck they can just throw in the original scene from the manga somewhere.

Skull Knight warns Guts that the Eclipse comes a year before it happens. It occurs the night he leaves the Hawks if I remember right. However, a lot of the back story such as Charlotte's story about Gaseric wearing a mask that looked like a skull. You could add the battle between him and Zodd at the start of the series.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 29, 2009

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
They should do everything from the after-math of the Eclipse, to the battle on the hill of swords. That should only take twenty six episodes, with a minimum of skipping over stuff, right? Plus that'd be one hell of a final episode.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think a complete do over like FMA: Brotherhood would be best.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Schubalts posted:

Berserk deserves it. Picking up where the last series left off trying to patch up its failures would leave me, and I think the rest of us, wanting more. If they are going to do it all, it should be done right.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Schubalts posted:

Yeah it could definitely use it to improve the animation (the original animation is pretty terrible compared to today's standards)and fill in the gaps of the plot. It's definitely best to be consistent and FMA brotherhood (while missing some plot details of the manga) is doing a good job telling the important events in a well paced condensed form.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
And it should be animated by SHAFT. or Madhouse.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

cooldude2.0 posted:

And it should be animated by SHAFT. or Madhouse.

I think you meant to say "Bones".

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009
It should be animated by Ghibli.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
As long as it isn't CG.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think a Berserk do-over could be justified as a TV series. For one thing, the story isn't finished, so trying to tell a "definitive" version is kind of pointless, but beyond that...unless you're going to put everything--every demon loving, child raping, Caska's hymen-breaking moment--then you may as well just pick up from where the last one left off. And the only way I could see them doing EVERYTHING would be in OAV format, which would take so long to come out it'd be like it didn't really exist, like Hellsing Ultimate.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think a Berserk do-over could be justified as a TV series. For one thing, the story isn't finished, so trying to tell a "definitive" version is kind of pointless, but beyond that...unless you're going to put everything--every demon loving, child raping, Caska's hymen-breaking moment--then you may as well just pick up from where the last one left off. And the only way I could see them doing EVERYTHING would be in OAV format, which would take so long to come out it'd be like it didn't really exist, like Hellsing Ultimate.

If it was OAV format it'd actually be fitting considering the release schedule of it's source material.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
If it is made into an OAV, I just hope they don't screw up the soundtrack like they did with Hellsing. I really liked the TV version.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Nguyen Leet posted:

According to the nerds at Skullknight, all they're really waiting on for a second season is Miura to choose what to cover.

They have several stopping places at this point if they so desired and if Miura EVER got out a timely response.

End it with Griffith being reborn again as a "human" or from the end of the last chapter with Griffith getting his kingdom and Guts looking to the future of cutting Griffith in half and wearing his balls as a necklace. I do agree that a OAV format might be best, or at the very least just a restart altogether.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

I think you meant to say "Bones".
Heck, Studio 4°C.

I think Madhouse is p likely though, seeing as they have Black Lagoon, new Hellsing, Kurozuka, Gungrave, Souten Kouro. Berserk really fits in with those and they were all good shows.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

abbad0n posted:

If it is made into an OAV, I just hope they don't screw up the soundtrack like they did with Hellsing. I really liked the TV version.

Truth. Though the OAV soundtrack is forgotten to me, it's a total shame they didn't license the jazzy TV series' soundtrack which is still one of the few anime soundtracks I gladly listen to.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Truth. Though the OAV soundtrack is forgotten to me, it's a total shame they didn't license the jazzy TV series' soundtrack which is still one of the few anime soundtracks I gladly listen to.

Yes, the jazzy TV soundtrack which doesn't fit the manga at all, hrm quite

The OAV soundtrack is orchestral and occasional rather rabid techno, which certainly fits the manga a lot more!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

Yes, the jazzy TV soundtrack which doesn't fit the manga at all, hrm quite

The OAV soundtrack is orchestral and occasional rather rabid techno, which certainly fits the manga a lot more!

The OAV soundtrack is completely forgettable. Conversely, I watched the Hellsing TV series over two years ago and I can still remember the opening theme.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The OAV soundtrack is completely forgettable. Conversely, I watched the Hellsing TV series over two years ago and I can still remember the opening theme.

I listen to the OAV soundtrack, because I enjoy it

And again, just because music is good doesnt mean it should be used if it doesn't fit at all. The OAV's music fits it very well.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the best part of the Hellsing OAV's soundtrack is all the Nazi marching music. Does this make me a bad person? :(

Also, Maaya Sakamoto singing in German. That girl has got talent.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
As long as Susumu Hirasawa is on board, it doesn't really matter.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
What the hell do you mean by "it doesn't fit the manga?" Manga doesn't have footnotes about what sort of music you should imagine while reading. A bold stylistic choice can make a show memorable by giving it a really intriguing flavor (see: Hellsing), while techno can make anything seem boring and samey.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Macheath posted:

What the hell do you mean by "it doesn't fit the manga?" Manga doesn't have footnotes about what sort of music you should imagine while reading. A bold stylistic choice can make a show memorable by giving it a really intriguing flavor (see: Hellsing), while techno can make anything seem boring and samey.

Jazz doesn't really fit a show that is mostly "epic explosions of blood, Alucard turns into a billion handed corpse god", no. That's called killing dramatic tension. You'd might as well be playing Country music in the background.

Meanwhile, orchestral symphony tracks and marches as Nazis invade and stuff? Dramatic orchestral pieces as Alucard goes nuts on folks? Yes, that does fit.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
I didn't think it killed dramatic tension at all, actually. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You think jazz/rock sucks, I think techno blows eight-dicked stygian Megagoats.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Macheath posted:

I didn't think it killed dramatic tension at all, actually. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You think jazz/rock sucks, I think techno blows eight-dicked stygian Megagoats.

No, I like jazz, but I wouldn't play jazz everywhere; I wouldn't include it in Berserk, for instance. It worked well for the original anime since the original anime was mostly ALucard standing around being cool. The OAV is mostly Alucard standing around on a ship on fire as it approaches a London being eaten alive by Nazi vampires. Also Alucard throat-raping a chick. Yeah, jazz doesn't work as much there! Playing operatic music while the girl in question quotes a rather famous german opera though? Works.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I think my most memorable moment of Berserk was me reading through the Mozgus pseudo-apostile while listening to Boards of Canada's Geogaddi album. Any music will fit if you're in the right mindset.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

Jazz doesn't really fit a show that is mostly "epic explosions of blood, Alucard turns into a billion handed corpse god", no. That's called killing dramatic tension. You'd might as well be playing Country music in the background.

Meanwhile, orchestral symphony tracks and marches as Nazis invade and stuff? Dramatic orchestral pieces as Alucard goes nuts on folks? Yes, that does fit.

I find that the jazz perfectly suits Alucard's carefree attitude and the generally silliness of how over the top the material is. Orchestral stuff gets really hammy and ULTRA-DRAMATIC too often for me. I also don't see the harm in experimenting with musical scores to play with the mood.

These are Nazi vampires here, let's have some fun.

PS: Is he indecisively plotting the series to perfection, or just slowly sinking into an early senility? This is almost killing me.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 1, 2009

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I just started picking up the Dark Horse volumes a couple of weeks ago -- I really liked the anime series, so I thought it was time to start reading the manga. I just finished volume 8, and so far I'm just as enthralled with the manga as I was with the anime.

I'll be back when I've caught up, I guess.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

TheChirurgeon posted:

I just started picking up the Dark Horse volumes a couple of weeks ago -- I really liked the anime series, so I thought it was time to start reading the manga. I just finished volume 8, and so far I'm just as enthralled with the manga as I was with the anime.

And another one joins the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Take your time.

No, seriously. Don't rush.