Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

colonp posted:

What's the price of Live 8 to Suite?

I paid a little over $200 for it. Maybe $209?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 8, 2014

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

colonp posted:

Huh. That seems like a bit less than the difference between LE to Suite and LE to Live (220 EUR). Anyone got a EUR figure?

Are you taking into account the 10 year anniversary sale? Also, I got the download version because I didn't want to pay $40 for a box when I already have the stickers. (If you send them an email and ask politely they'll send you some stickers).

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Mandals posted:

Are you taking into account the 10 year anniversary sale? Also, I got the download version because I didn't want to pay $40 for a box when I already have the stickers. (If you send them an email and ask politely they'll send you some stickers).

I've been told there are more instruments to be had with the box set, not true?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Homie S posted:

I've been told there are more instruments to be had with the box set, not true?

I believe the instruments are the same, but the box set gives you a whole lot of canned loops and sound libraries. And since I already have a ton of hits, loops and parts, it wasn't needed.

EDIT - Yep. The parts marked with an asterisk are boxed-version only, and are just loops. http://www.ableton.com/suite-8

Mandals fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 24, 2009

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
Can you learn how to be creative?
I'm proficient around software and making things sound good and adding effects...but when it comes to creation, I can never get past choosing some drum sounds and rhythms. Melodically, I don't know where to begin. Chord progressions? Melody lines? Bass? I have a basic understanding of music theory but...I just get stuck. Or am I just screwed and I have to be born with that talent?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You're never screwed. There's plenty of books on how to produce melodies and stuff like that, if you want to go that route -- go on Amazon and buy a used copy of the best rated books.

The best route? Practice, practice, practice. Try writing as many melodic phrases, progressions, etc. as you can, the more you spend time in the realm, the more you're going to learn about what you really like.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

k0konutz posted:

Can you learn how to be creative?
I'm proficient around software and making things sound good and adding effects...but when it comes to creation, I can never get past choosing some drum sounds and rhythms. Melodically, I don't know where to begin. Chord progressions? Melody lines? Bass? I have a basic understanding of music theory but...I just get stuck. Or am I just screwed and I have to be born with that talent?
I had this problem for a long time, and I got over it by just spending a huge amount of time practicing. One big things that I was doing wrong was that I was trying to make overly elaborate poo poo, and really I think that in electronic dance music sometimes less is more when it comes to complexity. It depends on what you're going for, though. Just keep tweaking it until it grooves, and if it doesn't work out scrap it/start over. One of the hardest things about being a producer is cutting something you worked hard on out of a track, but sometimes that's just what you need to do.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 8, 2014

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Is there a similar feature in ableton to elastic audio in protools? Even a plugin I could check out would be great.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

pennywisdom posted:

Is there a similar feature in ableton to elastic audio in protools? Even a plugin I could check out would be great.

Ableton is all aboutelastic audio. It's one of it's core features.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Lewk posted:

Before Pro Tools 7.4's addition of Elastic Audio, it used to ship with a lite version of Ableton because of the warping!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 8, 2014

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Lewk posted:

True enough. I guess I've never warped audio files before.

I have an acoustic guitar track thats off the kick in a couple parts in the song and I just want to nudge it around a bit. Whats the best way to do this?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

colonp posted:

Live LE to Suite is €449. Live LE to Live 8 is €229 and Live 8 to Suite is €189. So going the last route is €30 cheaper ($40?).

I'm cheap :D

How do I make Triplets when editing a midi clip?

Right click inside the grid and it'll bring up the grid quantize settings, near the bottom there's one that should say 'triplet grid' or something of the sort.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 8, 2014

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

colonp posted:

Thanks!

How do I edit autiomation in clips and do I need to authorize every time I open Live?

I'm pretty sure you can't edit automation in clips. They've said a while back that to allow this would require a fairly substantial rewrite of the entire application. That said, people keep clamoring for it so it may show up in V9.

That authorization issue is weird. Send them an email--they're really good about responding and actually paying attention to the issue you're describing.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

pennywisdom posted:

True enough. I guess I've never warped audio files before.

I have an acoustic guitar track thats off the kick in a couple parts in the song and I just want to nudge it around a bit. Whats the best way to do this?

Here's a video on warping...it can explain it much better than I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCqX9veJSKY

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a complete moron and I can't figure out how to make my Alesis Micron synth act as a midi controller in ableton. Keep in mind I don't really know anything about anything and have never tried messing with this stuff before.

I have one of those midi to usb cables plugged in to my computer, and I'm messing with some options but I can't make this poo poo do anything for the life of me

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a complete moron and I can't figure out how to make my Alesis Micron synth act as a midi controller in ableton. Keep in mind I don't really know anything about anything and have never tried messing with this stuff before.

I have one of those midi to usb cables plugged in to my computer, and I'm messing with some options but I can't make this poo poo do anything for the life of me

After you've installed any necessary drivers and made your selection in the preferences...was "Remote" On?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mandals posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't edit automation in clips. They've said a while back that to allow this would require a fairly substantial rewrite of the entire application. That said, people keep clamoring for it so it may show up in V9.

You can manually edit clip automation -- click the little "E" in the lower left of the clips pane to bring up the envelope tab, then select the envelope you want to edit. You can use the draw tool or the select tool to draw/move/delete automation points.

What you can't do is record clip automation with an external MIDI controller; you can only do that in Arrange mode.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Also it looks like Max for Live is out now; they sent me an email offering me an upgrade sale of US$458 to upgrade Live 7 -> 8 ($179 by itself), plus Max for Live.

Anybody had a chance to give it a try yet?

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Mandals posted:

I believe the instruments are the same, but the box set gives you a whole lot of canned loops and sound libraries. And since I already have a ton of hits, loops and parts, it wasn't needed.

EDIT - Yep. The parts marked with an asterisk are boxed-version only, and are just loops. http://www.ableton.com/suite-8

What? The Essential Instruments Collection 2 and Session Drum are sample libraries, not loops.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Goose Halo posted:

What? The Essential Instruments Collection 2 and Session Drum are sample libraries, not loops.

Oops, I said sound libraries in my original post but forgot to in my edit.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Speaking as someone who has one, you can forget about using the knobs and M2 Slider to control MIDI. They use NPRN and it doesn't really work, unless there's some workaround I'm unaware of. The keyboard, pitch bend wheel and M1 Slider work fine, though. As some other people said, you'll need Remote enabled for your USB-MIDI thing under Live's MIDI options.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

h_double posted:

Also it looks like Max for Live is out now; they sent me an email offering me an upgrade sale of US$458 to upgrade Live 7 -> 8 ($179 by itself), plus Max for Live.

Anybody had a chance to give it a try yet?
Jesus CHRIST MFL looks loving awesome. And only a $99 upgrade if you already own Max5!!!

I hope my copy of Max works with it (its legality is questioned, got it off a friend)...

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

colonp posted:

I am unimpressed with the modulation routing options in Operator. Can't do LFO -> Volume, only one LFO, no extra envelopes either. Are there really not much at all of that, or am I missing something?

Clearly, since I do LFO->Volume in Operator all the time.

EDIT: Try reading the manual.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 27, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2014

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
If we have Max5 or MFL questions, should we post them in here? I'm thinking questions of that nature are probably going to take up a lot of space...should we start a seperate Max/Jitter/Max For Live thread?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

What is Max4Live missing compared to Max/MSP by itself? I've been resetting the 30 day MAX trial for a while now and have been debating which is the more useful purchase, Upgrading live 7->8 and getting max for live, or getting max/msp.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

How does Live manage files?
In a matter of a few weeks, I've gone from having 40 gigs on my hard drive available to 6.
All my source clips are on my external hard drive. I haven't done much work at all on my laptop's hard drive.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

k0konutz posted:

In a matter of a few weeks, I've gone from having 40 gigs on my hard drive available to 6.
All my source clips are on my external hard drive. I haven't done much work at all on my laptop's hard drive.

It does tend to save every take as a raw wav, I've noticed. But there is an option somewhere to get rid of them.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

k0konutz posted:

Options -> Preferences, then the file/folder tab
1/3 of the way down, there's a maximum cache size thats off by default, but you can set it to whatever, or clean up stuff that isn't used.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
I'm having a fairly annoying problem...I have an M-Audio Keystation 88es that I'm using as a MIDI controller for Ableton, and everything seems to be working great, except when I'm in MIDI mapping mode I can assign the wheels (or anything for that matter) to parameters in Ableton. The little "MIDI messages are happening now" square in the upper right of the window lights up when I move the mod wheel, but it never shows up in the MIDI mappings window like it should.

Somewhat odder, the pitch bend wheel still bends the pitch on MIDI instruments, even though I never assigned it to do that...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Go into Midi Sync in preferences, you might have to click those boxes under "sync" and "remote" until it works.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

penneydude posted:

Somewhat odder, the pitch bend wheel still bends the pitch on MIDI instruments, even though I never assigned it to do that...

Isn't this normal?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
OH MAN the MIDI editor is driving me mad. I've been tracking for most of my computer music needs until I recently got Live. I cant even figure out how to program a simple pitch bend up to a specific note or even just up a particular interval. The automation for the pitch bend envelope is conveniently from -8191 to 8191, and the AU I'm using doesn't have an adjustable PB range. I don't seriously have to do math every time I want to program a gliss or whatever, right? (I guess P00-PFF is also math in a tracker, but at least it's doesn't change based on some arbitrary PB range).

That's just one example, but it has to be my ignorance on my part that's making this so difficult. Is there "MIDI Programming for Idiots" or something that would help me get up to speed and keep me from getting so frustrated trying to make the sound I hear in my head? I'm using mainly third party plugins since I didn't buy the suite and I'm honestly thinking about giving Renoise a shot (rewired into Live...that works, right?). But there's got to be a better way to get specific with midi.

edit: I did try the Pitch MIDI effect. I can't get it to work by simply automating the its envelope. :confused:

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 1, 2009