Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Recently picked up and am half way through Innocent Mage by Karen Miller. Picked it up pretty much at random, like it pretty well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. Just starting it tonight!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Currently reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Just picked up and next on plate is:
Empress of Mars by Kage Baker
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar

Just discovered Baker for myself and absolutely love the Company novels. Completely jealous of the library's copy signed by the author and artist.

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

Last night I ordered Wildlife, to add to my Richard Ford collection, and Humboldt's Gift, to begin a Saul Bellow one. I read Herzog a few years ago and loved the style so much that I knew I would eventually have to read everything Bellow'd written. Looking forward to them arriving in the mail in about a week. I'll be starting Lolita as soon as I finish Infinite Jest, of which I have only twenty pages left to read.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Kerafyrm posted:

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. Just starting it tonight!

You are in for a treat! I just got Finch by him. It's set in the same place as City of Saints and Madmen, but hundreds of years later. I don't even doubt that it'll be a fantastic read.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Picked up THE INHUMAN CONDITION by CLive Barker.
I've been looking for this book for a few years now, I know amazon would have been fastest but dammnit I enjoy serendipity!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes you a Happy Birthday by Neil MacFarquhar besides having an amazingly inflammatory title it's proving to be a good read so far covering his 20 some odd years of encounters as a middle east correspondent for the AP and NY times. Next will probably be Byzantium Endures by Moorcock.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
About a quarter of the way into War & Peace. gently caress Dolokhov!

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

Mein Eyes! posted:

About a quarter of the way into War & Peace. gently caress Dolokhov!

I envy a person for whom a quarter of the way into War and Peace is 'just begun' :)

To contribute, I've just started Lolita. The prose is quite different from the poetic style I'd been led to expect by the famous opening sentences - much more formal, but still full of puns and jokes. I'm also a little worried that my lack of French is going to cause problems, but apart from that I'm really enjoying it.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Currently simultaneously reading Gallipoli by Les Carlyon, East and West by Chris Patten and The Living and the Dead by Patrick White.

The first two are pretty mediocre, but they've been sitting on my shelves for awhile and I'm trying to get through everything I currently own before I buy any new books.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Started Shohei Ooka's Fires on the Plain about a Japanese soldier in an American prison camp. Good so far.

Also reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Loved Everything is Illuminated, but ELIC seems to be trying a little TOO hard to be quirky.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's a good read so far. Heard her interviewed on NPR a week or two back and figured, why not?

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

Chamberk posted:

Started Shohei Ooka's Fires on the Plain about a Japanese soldier in an American prison camp. Good so far.

Also reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Loved Everything is Illuminated, but ELIC seems to be trying a little TOO hard to be quirky.

I felt the same way about Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - the quirky stuff was fun in Everything is Illuminated, but it gets old pretty quickly. The writing about Trachimbrod in EII was by far my favourite part, because Foer was able to let his imagination loose without playing too many technical games. ELIC didn't have quite the same spark for me, but I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

I just bought Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, trying to collect some more David Foster Wallace after finishing Infinite Jest. I'm not sure if the movie will be released over here, but I'll definitely check it out if the book's good.

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.
After failing to finish Cosmos, I have just picked up One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest for school, all I know is that it HAS to be better than Jane Eyre.

I don't really know what the literary worlds consensus is on the Bronte sisters, but I really can't stand their work. I understand the importance to the treatment of women in literature, but I (and most of my classmates) truly hated some parts.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
I posted a couple of days ago about what I'm reading. This is what I just less than an hour ago bought:

That's the first edition of Burrough's first book. Nobody was home, so I had to show it off somewhere.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Beaters posted:

I posted a couple of days ago about what I'm reading. This is what I just less than an hour ago bought:

That's the first edition of Burrough's first book. Nobody was home, so I had to show it off somewhere.

That is loving radical.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Beaters posted:

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's a good read so far. Heard her interviewed on NPR a week or two back and figured, why not?

Just picked up Atwood's Handmaid's Tale almost by accident. Needed change for the bus and the oxfam store was right there, my sister had been recommending Atwood so thought why not?

Several chapters in, and wow. I hope the quality remains this high. Atwoods seems to have an amazing facility for allowing you a glimpse of protagonist, her past, her current situation, without ever saying it outright. I'm transfixed.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Was just given this today for my birthday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Went looking for Freakonomics (Steven Levitt & Steven Dubner), came away (also) with More Sex is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics (Steven E. Landsburg).

Started MSiSS first, feelings so far: :love:

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

A Certain Ratio posted:

I just started A Confederacy of Dunces. Someone was giving it away and I had heard about it before so I figured why not. I'm about 90 pages in and nothing really interesting has happened at all. I'm pretty disappointed with it so far considering how much praise it seems to have gotten for being funny.

edit: I think it's not a bad book by any means, but I think the humor it was known for has caught up to it. It feels fresh which is great for any book written 40 years ago, but I think so many people have kind of based their sarcastic, odd, anti-hero on Ignatius that it's not really innovative or rare to see the exploits of the archetype.

I actually came in here to post this book and let me just say the last half is much better than the the first and ties it all together in a really amazing way.

I just finished The wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami and liked it almost as much as Hard Boiled wonderland and the End of the World but still enjoyed it greatly.

I've just started reading Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee about a professor in South Africa. Really engaging style great subject matter but it's not in my top 15 books so far. I find most anything well-written about South Africa to be fascinating so I'd be interested to hear another goon's opinion on the book.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just bought Jeff VanderMeer's latest novel Finch. If I didn't have a huge pile of library books to wade through, I'd definitely be digging into this. The laudatory jacket quotes from Richard K. Morgan and Ken Bruen alone, not to mention the other quotes likening it to Raymond Chandler on acid would have me sold on it even if I wasn't a huge VanderMeer fan already.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:
Just bought Umberto Eco's Turning Back the Clock: Hot Wars and Media Populism and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. Also The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace.

While I should have read Turning Back the Clock when it came out I suppose it's better late than never.

Just started Chesterton's The Club of Queer Trades.

robomechatronsaurus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 1, 2009

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just bought The Katurran Odyssey (on Book Depository), a children's illustrated fantasy novel in the vein of Dinotopia. It's by some of the artists who did creatures on the Star Wars prequels.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful. You can view a lot of it and read about the book at the official website: http://www.katurranodyssey.com/

I can't wait for it to arrive.

Neural Misfire
Jun 7, 2007
Ironweed by William Kennedy.

Very interesting stuff about a drunk bum who accidentally killed his baby.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Book of Lost Things by Jonn Connolly. About 100 pages in; seems interesting so far.

Parildo
Jan 18, 2008

Just a little bee
Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire.

It is the second book on the "Millenium" series, I am liking it, but it is a bit sad because the author is dead. :arghfist:

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Parildo posted:

Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire.

It is the second book on the "Millenium" series, I am liking it, but it is a bit sad because the author is dead. :arghfist:

I thought it wasn't as good as Dragon Tattoo. Gets a bit Kill Bill towards the end.

Anyway, I just started a book about the history of English cookery. The introductory chapters are interesting and so are the recipes but I find it annoying that the author has provided "translations" of 12th C. English that "modernize" ingredients and methods. Why assume I'm enterprising enough to stew up a porpoise but at the same time too lazy to read dated English?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
Just started Anatomy of Criticism by Northrop Frye, and it's cool and all, but goddamit does Harold Bloom write the shittiest foreward I've ever seen and one of the worst things I've ever read by him. He pretty much just complains how much of a dick Frye was and how he never appreciated his own theory of poetic anxiety. Pssh.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Going to start on The Fall by Albert Camus sometime tonight. I've also got Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood and Dante's Inferno waiting for me.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Just started Anatomy of Criticism by Northrop Frye, and it's cool and all, but goddamit does Harold Bloom write the shittiest foreward I've ever seen and one of the worst things I've ever read by him. He pretty much just complains how much of a dick Frye was and how he never appreciated his own theory of poetic anxiety. Pssh.

Frye is a really good writer. A lot of theory is hard to get through, but for whatever reason I really enjoyed Frye when I read him.

For myself, I have read a few dozen Garcia Marquez short stories, and I'm working through 100 years of solitude right now. I'm not sure yet if I like seeing all the little connections to the short stories, or of I would have rather read this stuff in reverse order and seen the more detailed accounts of the parts that get glazed over in the novel come to life that way.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 6, 2009

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I just finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series :argh: and needed some good splatterpunk, so I picked up a copy of Jack Ketchum's Cover that my boyfriend had laying around. I loved Red, The Lost and The Girl Next Door, so I expect this will be much the same. I've met the author twice and am always taken aback at how super-sweet he is for someone who writes what he does.

Ketchum had a non-horror book that nobody seems to talk about but which I've heard was really good - can anyone clue me in as to what it's called?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Just ordered The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam by Charles Palliser

and
Smarra and Trilby by Charles Nodier

Gives me some reading over Christmas, when I should really be studying:eng99:

Omena
Aug 29, 2008

One day we will die
and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
Charles Bukowski's Ham on Rye, I've only read Post Office and I craved more Bukowski. The writing isn't up to much but the story and ideas throughout the book so far have been brilliant and entertaining.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just started Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union the other day. So far it's pretty cool, kind of like a cross between Mordecai Richler and Raymond Chandler.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Fifty or so pages into Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, it seemed like the logical thing to do having read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich earlier this year and enjoyed it. So far its quite similar in tone to One Day in the Life and is giving me the problem many seem to have with remembering who's who when it comes to Russian names (the 2 names per person issue).

Also bought these today to get me through winter:unsmith:
Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia, Gore Vidal
The White Tiger, Aravind Adiga
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Ron Hansen
A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
Tokyo Year Zero, David Peace

Parildo
Jan 18, 2008

Just a little bee

Facial Fracture posted:

I thought it wasn't as good as Dragon Tattoo. Gets a bit Kill Bill towards the end.

Since you posted this I was not able to read even one further page of the book and started to read Wit'ch Fire by james Clemens that I've got for free on Kindle.
Hopefully will get back to Larsson's work as soon as the Kill Bill image leaves my brain. Not that I hated Kill Bill, but it just not seems to fit on the book right now.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I WHITE-KNIGHT FOR MY SOCIOPATHS! OH GOD SUH PLEASE PUT YOUR BALLS IN MY MOUTH!
I got John Dies At The End as an early Christmas gift from one of my students. It actually looks kind of entertaining. I understand it was some sort of internet thing before it was a book, I guess. I have high hopes, however.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:

wickles posted:

..the problem many seem to have with remembering who's who when it comes to Russian names (the 2 names per person issue).
Hopefully this doesn't mean you give up on it. Could you try printing out a character list from, say, the Cancer Ward's wiki and sticking it inside the front cover of your book?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

robomechatronsaurus posted:

Hopefully this doesn't mean you give up on it. Could you try printing out a character list from, say, the Cancer Ward's wiki and sticking it inside the front cover of your book?
I was thinking of doing this and now you've suggested it I think I will, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gay4BluRayz posted:

I got John Dies At The End as an early Christmas gift from one of my students. It actually looks kind of entertaining. I understand it was some sort of internet thing before it was a book, I guess. I have high hopes, however.

I just started reading this myself (got it from the library) and so far I'm enjoying it. It's certainly an easy read.

• Locked thread