Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Apropos of nothing watching the 1991 rumble when Heenan says "now we're off to Jack "On the take" Tunney always makes me crack up. I am watching this because I decided to use my tax refund to get Rumble tickets this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Jason Sextro posted:

Tom Zenk is the only wrestler I know of whose bitter hatred for Ole Anderson seems to match the bitter hatred Ole Anderson has for just about everyone involved in the wrestling business in any way.
The Z-Man is also responsible for one of the funniest interviews I've ever read http://www.armpitwrestling.com/tom-zenk-z-man-interview.shtml

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

They disbanded because Demolition kicked their asses too hard one night

But they broke up one year after Demolition beat them for the titles. If anything, it was Tully & Arn that kicked their asses too hard that night.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

But they broke up one year after Demolition beat them for the titles. If anything, it was Tully & Arn that kicked their asses too hard that night.

Nope. It was Tito's fault. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Critical posted:

Nope. It was Tito's fault. :colbert:

Tito's only fault was that he was the best and Martel couldn't handle it.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Is there a specific reason the WWE is doubling up Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 as a PPV sponsor? Do you think it's worrisome that zero sponsors stepped up to get a product into this PPV, despite it being directly before Christmas, to the point where the WWE just said "gently caress it, we'll publicize our own game. Again."

For comparison sake, here's the PPV sponsorships for '09 and '08:

2009:
Royal Rumble - None
No Way Out - None
Wrestlemania 25 - The National Guard
Backlash - None
Judgement Day - None
Extreme Rules- AT&T
The Bash - Gillette Fusion
Night of Champions - None
Summerslam - Slim Jim and 7-11
Breaking Point - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Hell in a Cell- TMNT: Smash-Up
Bragging Rights - Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
Survivor Series - None
TLC - Smackdown vs. Raw 2010

2008:
RR- None
No Way Out - None
Wrestlemania 24 - None
Backlash - None
Judgement Day - Rambo DVD release
One Night Stand - None
The Great American Bash - AT&T
Summerslam - Street Kings
Unforgiven - None
No Mercy - None
Cyber Sunday - None
Survivor Series - Smackdown vs. Raw 2009
Armageddon - Prince of Persia

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!

AKA Driver posted:

Is there a specific reason the WWE is doubling up Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 as a PPV sponsor? Do you think it's worrisome that zero sponsors stepped up to get a product into this PPV, despite it being directly before Christmas, to the point where the WWE just said "gently caress it, we'll publicize our own game. Again."

It's Christmas. they're pimping a video game. go figure.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They've had their own games be sponsors plenty of times.

Also Tom Zenk on Wrestling Observer Live from the beginning of the decade is hilarious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Charisma posted:

They've had their own games be sponsors plenty of times.

OK, but are the games a sponsor because no one else will step in? I would think if you order a PPV, you already watch their programming which is full of the game ads. So it's not like someone orders a PPV and sees the game as a sponsor and goes "OH! A game."

Because if the WWE is their own sponsor, they are losing money right?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

oldpainless posted:

I'm totally just spitballing here, but I don't think, like, John Madden ponies up the promotional costs of his game. Pretty sure that even though it's a WWE game, the game's distributors/publishers pick up the tab on advertising.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

RKOMG! posted:

I'm totally just spitballing here, but I don't think, like, John Madden ponies up the promotional costs of his game. Pretty sure that even though it's a WWE game, the game's distributors/publishers pick up the tab on advertising.

He doesn't buy the TV commercials, but when he was doing commentary there would frequently be footage from Madden used to hype up the games. Similarly, while WWE probably doesn't pay the costs for commercials for SvR in other shows, I'd be surprised if they made THQ pay to sponsor a WWE PPV.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

AKA Driver posted:

For comparison sake, here's the PPV sponsorships for '09 and '08:

2009:
Royal Rumble - None
No Way Out - None
Wrestlemania 25 - The National Guard
Backlash - None
Judgement Day - None
Extreme Rules- AT&T
The Bash - Gillette Fusion
Summerslam - Slim Jim and 7-11
Breaking Point - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Hell in a Cell- TMNT: Smash-Up
Bragging Rights - Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
Survivor Series - None
TLC - Smackdown vs. Raw 2010

2008:
RR- None
No Way Out - None
Wrestlemania 24 - None
Backlash - None
Judgement Day - Rambo DVD release
One Night Stand - None
The Great American Bash - AT&T
Summerslam - Street Kings
Unforgiven - None
No Mercy - None
Cyber Sunday - None
Survivor Series - Smackdown vs. Raw 2009
Armageddon - Prince of Persia

According to that list they've had more sponsors throughout the course of 2009 than 2008, they just used Smackdown vs. Raw an extra time.. What are you even talking about?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

oldpainless posted:

No, it's advertising for their game. I would also guess that THQ throws some money their way.

The Goog posted:

He doesn't buy the TV commercials, but when he was doing commentary there would frequently be footage from Madden used to hype up the games. Similarly, while WWE probably doesn't pay the costs for commercials for SvR in other shows, I'd be surprised if they made THQ pay to sponsor a WWE PPV.

Madden is paid for the use of his name, likeness, and voice. He has no involvement in the games past that. Also, just to note, WWE makes no money off of commercials, at least during Raw. For Raw, USA has sole commercial rights.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

WeaselWeaz posted:

Also, just to note, WWE makes no money off of commercials, at least during Raw. For Raw, USA has sole commercial rights.

Which makes it all the more likely that they are being paid by THQ to sponsor PPVs.

Besides, stuff like that happens all the time in the entertainment industry, Warner Brothers films has to pay DC comics to make Watchmen into a movie, even though Warner Brothers owns DC. Seems pointless, happens all the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

OK, I was wrong apparently about WWE losing money when their game is a sponsor of a PPV. The publisher ponies up the cash. But then there's something I'm still fuzzy on. Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

Maybe someone can explain it to me because I must be missing an obvious point or something. Does anyone know why it's a smart move finacially to do this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

OK, I was wrong apparently about WWE losing money when their game is a sponsor of a PPV. The publisher ponies up the cash. But then there's something I'm still fuzzy on. Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

Maybe someone can explain it to me because I must be missing an obvious point or something. Does anyone know why it's a smart move finacially to do this?

Advertising a product that you get a cut of? Advertising to people who may not watch Raw religiously every week?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Holidays are coming up

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

According to that list they've had more sponsors throughout the course of 2009 than 2008, they just used Smackdown vs. Raw an extra time.. What are you even talking about?

I just thought it was an interesting list. But it points out that they didn't really need to inflate their sponsorship numbers with SvR10 again (as they were beating last year), but did anyway, leading to a question about why that was. And the answer to that would be: Christmas.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Well, the sponsor is mentioned in all of the ads on other channels/programs leading up to the PPV, right?

So attaching it to those ads for the PPV is even more lucrative and will reach people that might not watch Raw or the PPV.

Honestly though, it's just an attempt to continuously remind children of the game so they continuously bug the poo poo out of their parents to buy them the game for Christmas.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

Dad doesnt watch Smackdown every week, but he'll sit down with little johnny to watch the occasional PPV and bore him with how much better the wrestlers he liked as a kid were. Huh... Theres a new WWE game that johnny would like? And Xmas is coming up? BAM, sale.

There are probably a lot of parents/caregivers who dont watch the shows but will dip in and out when their kid is watching a PPV (if for no other reason than its on their TV for like 3 hours on a weekend). Constantly barraging the message "We have related merchandise! Kids today love their pac-man videogames" probably makes more financial sense (particularly with the WWE refocussing on family-friendly programming again) that AT&T or the Rambo DVD.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

You don't understand advertising as a concept. You can't just show or mention something once and assume people will buy it. You repeat it and remind people. By your logic, people would only buy a game the first week and then sales would go down to 0 because the market bought it. What happens with a successful game is a big spike the first week but sales maintain a strong position as people get around to buying it, get some spare cash, etc. I mean, seriously, I don't know how to respond. You're asking "why advertise to people who know about your product?" Just because someone knows of a product doesn't mean they're convinced they should buy it. Hell, Coca-Cola spends a ton on advertising and it's one of the most popular brand names in the world. They advertise to make people go "hey, I should buy a Coke!"

There is no guarentee WWE fans will buy their game or remember it is out. Hell, the fans don't remember or give a poo poo about the first hour of 3-hour Raw episodes. Plus, you get the Smackdown vs Raw game mentioned on PPV commercials, event advertising, and posters that people see outside of WWE TV. That's why companies sponsor PPVs, you're getting your name mentioned and shown on advertising. Hell, it's similar logic to sponsoring a sports arena, you get your product's name out there.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ok. It was obvious and I just somehow didn't see it. Thanks to everyone for answering my question. It makes sense.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wazzu posted:

Considering it was 20 years ago, but I keep hearing this, can somebody elaborate on why?

Tito was the man because he was a classic fiery babyface who could sell and rally fans behind him, and he had good chemistry with a lot of different wrestlers. Inheriting a bunch of 80s wrestling tapes from a friend's dad has shown me just how great Tito was.

Not sure if I'd call Strike Force the best tag team of their era, but they were a fast-paced, NWA-style team in a promotion that didn't have very many teams like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tito was good enough that Vince put him out in the first match of the first Wrestlemania. I know we can joke about curtainjerkers etc, but opening the first ever Wrestlemania is a pretty good sign that the guy is drat good at his job of getting the crowd going without overshadowing the top draws.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Not sure if I'd call Strike Force the best tag team of their era, but they were a fast-paced, NWA-style team in a promotion that didn't have very many teams like that.

I can't think of anyone who would call them that, or even in the top 10. Purely fast-paced Rockers were betterm and the Hart Foundation and Bulldogs were also better. NWA-style, they had loving Arn and Tully.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

NWA-style, they had loving Arn and Tully.

For about two seconds, yeah.

I agree that the Bulldogs, the Rockers, and the Harts were better, but when you consider the (sometimes literal) bulk of WWE's tag division up to that point, it's not hard to see why people thought so highly of Strike Force.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Can I get a link to the Low Ki vs KENTA match from ROH? It is being way too difficult to find.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The A-Team Van posted:

Can I get a link to the Low Ki vs KENTA match from ROH? It is being way too difficult to find.

HMMM

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

HulkaMatt posted:

HMMM

You try lazily searching Google videos for 'low ki vs kenta' and tell me what you get :colbert:

thanks honeypie:allears:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if tito were 10 years younger and debuted 5 years later, he would have become a much bigger star.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

dusty udder smoker posted:

if tito were 10 years younger and debuted 5 years later, he would have become a much bigger star.

Had he debuted 5 years later, he probably would have been stuck with a Santo gimmick.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

dusty udder smoker posted:

He was a 2-time IC champion in a time when that meant something and a 2-time tag champ. I would argue that he was a pretty big star for his limitations.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Matlock posted:

Had he debuted 5 years later, he probably would have been stuck with a Santo gimmick.

Tita Santino?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tito had a really great feud with Greg Valentine in the mid 80s I'd advise anyone unfamiliar with either to track down. 24/7 ran an LA house show from like 1988 a year or so ago with them on it (the actual feud was in like 83-84 btw) and it was loving great. They just beat the poo poo out of each other.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Tito had a really great feud with Greg Valentine in the mid 80s I'd advise anyone unfamiliar with either to track down. 24/7 ran an LA house show from like 1988 a year or so ago with them on it (the actual feud was in like 83-84 btw) and it was loving great. They just beat the poo poo out of each other.

Yes they did. Their lumberjack match is on the WWE Superstars of the 80s DVD set, and stupid finish aside, it's a fun match. Tito was a machine during that period and got good matches out of pretty much everyone.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I was curious as to what the overall opinion here was about which Wrestlemania match is Shawn Michaels best. I've listed all of them below even the Rockers matches just for the hell of it but I think it's safe to say you can start the list at Wrestlemania X.

WrestleMania VI: The Orient Express defeated The Rockers
WrestleMania VII: The Rockers defeated The Barbarian and Haku
WrestleMania VIII: Shawn Michaels (with Sensational Sherri) defeated Tito Santana.
WrestleMania IX: Tatanka defeated Shawn Michaels (c) by countout in a match for the Intercontinental Championship .
WrestleMania X: Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels (c) in a Ladder match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
WrestleMania XI: Diesel (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XII: Shawn Michaels defeated Bret Hart (c) in an Iron Man match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIV: Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIX: Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho.
WrestleMania XX: Chris Benoit defeated Triple H (c) and Shawn Michaels in a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship
WrestleMania XXI: Kurt Angle defeated Shawn Michaels.
WrestleMania XXII: Shawn Michaels defeated Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match
WrestleMania XXIII: John Cena (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XXIV: Shawn Michaels defeated Ric Flair in a Career Threatening match
Wrestlemania XXV: The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels

It's REALLY tough to just pick one. For me personally it's between the Jericho and Angle matches, going back and rewatching those I enjoyed them the most. Jericho tuning up the band will always hold a special place in my heart. There really is no wrong answer to this unless you picked the WM9 match or something.

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2009

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Bearnt! posted:

I was curious as to what the overall opinion here was about which Wrestlemania match is Shawn Michaels best. I've listed all of them below even the Rockers matches just for the hell of it but I think it's safe to say you can start the list at Wrestlemania X.

WrestleMania VI: The Orient Express defeated The Rockers
WrestleMania VII: The Rockers defeated The Barbarian and Haku
WrestleMania VIII: Shawn Michaels (with Sensational Sherri) defeated Tito Santana.
WrestleMania IX: Tatanka defeated Shawn Michaels (c) by countout in a match for the Intercontinental Championship .
WrestleMania X: Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels (c) in a Ladder match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
WrestleMania XI: Diesel (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XII: Shawn Michaels defeated Bret Hart (c) in an Iron Man match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIV: Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIX: Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho.
WrestleMania XX: Chris Benoit defeated Triple H (c) and Shawn Michaels in a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship
WrestleMania XXI: Kurt Angle defeated Shawn Michaels.
WrestleMania XXII: Shawn Michaels defeated Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match
WrestleMania XXIII: John Cena (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XXIV: Shawn Michaels defeated Ric Flair in a Career Threatening match
Wrestlemania XXV: The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels

It's REALLY tough to just pick one. For me personally it's between the Jericho and Angle matches, going back and rewatching those I enjoyed them the most. Jericho tuning up the band will always hold a special place in my heart. There really is no wrong answer to this unless you picked the WM9 match or something.

drat, a 6-9 record?! Mr. Wrestlemania my rear end.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pneub posted:

drat, a 6-9 record?! Mr. Wrestlemania my rear end.

How many of those matches were the best of the show?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bearnt! posted:

I was curious as to what the overall opinion here was about which Wrestlemania match is Shawn Michaels best.

vs. Angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

If we're going to look at it from a historical perspective, it's easily between his matches at WMX and WMXXIV. The ladder match with Razor revolutionized the ladder match entirely and the match with Flair (supposedly :smith:) put Flair into retirement. The others were just really, really good matches.