Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Saharan Fiend posted:

Quick question:

I'm fostering a ~6 week old kitten, and there's just one small problem: she smells like all hell get out. Like, really really smells quite musky/I'm not sure what. We bathed her twice last night, and today she smells just like she did before the baths. It's especially bad around her face, so could it be her breath, and then it spreads as she licks herself?

Any ideas or suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

What's she eating? Kittens can smell really godawful on bad food, even worse than adult cats, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...

Fire In The Disco posted:

What's she eating? Kittens can smell really godawful on bad food, even worse than adult cats, for some reason.

She's on Before Grain dry and EVO wet, so I don't think it's a matter of crappy food. She has a little thing right between her nose and her mouth from when she was at the shelter and she rubbed the skin off against the cage, and if she's left alone for awhile, we'll find her with the whole area around her mouth all wet-looking, but I can't tell if it's her saliva or plasma or what.

I'm fairly sure it's something to do with her breath now, as we just bathed her again and her breath was still terrible even when the rest of her smelled quite nice. Is there anything to treat terrible kitten breath? The "fresh breath" mints aren't really working, as she'll just swallow them whole, which I think may defeat the purpose.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
This Russian Blue breeder is local to me, but is no longer breeding kittens - I fired off an email to ask about breeder referrals, breed rescues, general info. Do they look like a reputable source to you? (Almost all of my experience is with dogs; I can track down awesome dog breeders and rescues, but am kinda clueless about cats, short of health guarantees, FIV/FELV testing, and CFA registration.)

Here's another breeder - there's very little info on the site, so I fired off an email. I'm not holding my breath for them, simply because of the lackluster buyer's contract. It looks like they also breed French Bulldogs or bull terriers.

Finally, I've put the word out among my shelter contacts that I'm looking for a Russian Blue or mix thereof, or really any adult cat that will jive with my allergies, and plan on visiting two cats if they're still available after the holidays.

Advice? Comments? Much appreciated in advance. :3:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well, Thanksgiving is coming up which means visiting family. This also means abandoning my poor kitties. :( We are just going overnight and will probably just be gone from Thursday morning to early Friday afternoon. For that short amount of time, I don't really want to get a sitter or board them or anything like that. If my cats were free-fed this wouldn't be a problem but they are little piggies and need meals or they will become basketballs. I am sort of afraid to just try to free-feed them for one day since I figure that they will just gobble it all up in 5 minutes and then starve until we get back, but I don't really want to spend the money on an automatic feeder. What should I do for them while we're gone?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Splurge on an automatic cat feeder, and call it an early Christmas present to yourself. Or just free feed them for the day, but in many small bowls hidden around the house?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Meow Cadet posted:

Splurge on an automatic cat feeder, and call it an early Christmas present to yourself. Or just free feed them for the day, but in many small bowls hidden around the house?

I was sort of thinking of something akin to the latter . . . would it work to maybe put the food in a container that makes it hard to get the food out, like taping a cover most of the way over the bowl so they can only get their paws in, or putting it in a ball or something they have to roll around?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HondaCivet posted:

I was sort of thinking of something akin to the latter . . . would it work to maybe put the food in a container that makes it hard to get the food out, like taping a cover most of the way over the bowl so they can only get their paws in, or putting it in a ball or something they have to roll around?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cat-Powered-Automatic-Cat-Feeder/

You might have the materials around the house for a low-tech slow feeder.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

demozthenes posted:

This Russian Blue breeder is local to me, but is no longer breeding kittens - I fired off an email to ask about breeder referrals, breed rescues, general info. Do they look like a reputable source to you? (Almost all of my experience is with dogs; I can track down awesome dog breeders and rescues, but am kinda clueless about cats, short of health guarantees, FIV/FELV testing, and CFA registration.)

Here's another breeder - there's very little info on the site, so I fired off an email. I'm not holding my breath for them, simply because of the lackluster buyer's contract. It looks like they also breed French Bulldogs or bull terriers.

Finally, I've put the word out among my shelter contacts that I'm looking for a Russian Blue or mix thereof, or really any adult cat that will jive with my allergies, and plan on visiting two cats if they're still available after the holidays.

Advice? Comments? Much appreciated in advance. :3:
I would stay away from any breeder that bred a lot of types of cats much less dogs as well. (YMMV) CZARINA actually looks really nice. The problem is they tend to *really hate* change and adopting an adult may be more difficult with this breed. It can be done with success it is just going to take patience. Have you considered a Siberian? This is an awesome cat for people with allergies.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Okay, so we've had Zero for a few weeks now, and there's only been one real problem- recurrent blood in her poo. We took her to the vet a week and a half ago and she had a good feel, noted that Zero was definitely bright eyed and in good health but prescribed some antibiotics just to nip anything in the bud. Zero had the full course of antibiotics and all was clear for a few days, but upon cleaning her litter box out last night, I noticed blood there again. She also seemed to take a long time on the box (I don't generally watch my cat go to the toilet but she was right opposite me eating my dinner).

The vet had suggested she might be constipated, but didn't give us any guidance on this. She's not lethargic or unhappy and is generally reeking havoc of kitten proportions.

Suggestions?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
How's the consistency of her poo, besides the blood? Does she seem constipated to you? If so, you can try some canned pumpkin in with her wet food; fiber will help getting her moving again. But I would be bringing her back to the vet if it were me, just to rule out any other issues. The vet will probably want a fecal sample; when you call to make the appointment, find out if they want you to bring one.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

ChairmanMeow posted:

I would stay away from any breeder that bred a lot of types of cats much less dogs as well. (YMMV) CZARINA actually looks really nice. The problem is they tend to *really hate* change and adopting an adult may be more difficult with this breed. It can be done with success it is just going to take patience. Have you considered a Siberian? This is an awesome cat for people with allergies.

I'm mostly trolling the breeders for resources - I would prefer an adult over a kitten, if possible, and a breed rescue would be ideal. "Dr. Evil Cattery" isn't a breeder I'd buy from, but if they can point me toward a rescue resource, that'd be great. If I ran across a Siberian, or really, any other cat that jives with my allergies, in rescue or as an adult, I would definitely go for it, but I really enjoyed all of the RBs that I've met (and would prefer the lighter shedding load of a short haired cat). I have yet to meet a Sibe in the flesh to see how I'd react.

There doesn't seem to be any reputable RB breeders in the general area (MA/NH/RI/CT would be ideal), and meeting the cat is important to me - if only so I can take a big sniff of fur and see what happens - so breeders who ship are pretty much out unless they're really, really reputable. Maybe I can ask for a mailed baggie of shed hair if I find a really good breeder? (That would be so creepy...)

Both MY BOYFRIEND and I have a lot of experience in animal rescue and rehab, and he's always been focused on feral and abused cats, while I focused on large dogs and rats with behavioral problems, so we both have a lot of patience with animals. I assume that it wouldn't take much more than time and treats to bring a cat around to living in our quiet apartment with no other animals - I'm more than willing to put in the work for a difficult cat. (You know I'll be turning here for advice...)

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...
Just as an update, Izzy the foster kitten had rubbed the skin off right under her nose and that had gotten infected. She's currently on antibiotics and is smelling much better.

Here she is with her red nose:

And here she is, enjoying the hell out of her bath:

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
Any holiday cat advice? Tree setup tips, things that are common around the holiday but really bad for cats? I put up a 5 foot tall tree today and placed all the ornaments off the base of the tree, but I'm curious if there is more I should do to prevent him from trying to climb it and crash it to the ground.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

How's the consistency of her poo, besides the blood? Does she seem constipated to you? If so, you can try some canned pumpkin in with her wet food; fiber will help getting her moving again. But I would be bringing her back to the vet if it were me, just to rule out any other issues. The vet will probably want a fecal sample; when you call to make the appointment, find out if they want you to bring one.

It's the general gross squishy consistency of kitten poop, although it was much runnier when she was on antibiotics. I didn't see if she had blood in her stools yesterday because my notoriously unobservant brother cleaned up, but I told my mum and she's going to get her another vet appointment.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Xerin posted:

Any holiday cat advice? Tree setup tips, things that are common around the holiday but really bad for cats? I put up a 5 foot tall tree today and placed all the ornaments off the base of the tree, but I'm curious if there is more I should do to prevent him from trying to climb it and crash it to the ground.

Set a hook in the ceiling and secure the tree with some heavy fishing line.
No tinsel or flocking.
Unbreakable/soft fabric ornaments.
Use yarn or something similar to secure ornaments, not metal hooks.
Don't use chemical stuff in the tree water just in case.

I'm sure there are other things to add about holiday hazards for kittys, somebody else jump in here?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

dee eight posted:

Set a hook in the ceiling and secure the tree with some heavy fishing line.
No tinsel or flocking.
Unbreakable/soft fabric ornaments.
Use yarn or something similar to secure ornaments, not metal hooks.
Don't use chemical stuff in the tree water just in case.

I'm sure there are other things to add about holiday hazards for kittys, somebody else jump in here?

Watch the loops on your power cords for the tree lights as a choking hazard and/or biting --> electrocuted kitty hazard.

monsterbunny
Feb 2, 2007
I just picked up two ~4-6 month year old kittens today! They were found when they were only a few weeks old and fostered. The caretaker at the adoption clinic explained that since they were abandoned at such a young age, they didn't have enough time to truly socialize with their mother/other cats so they still have yet to learn certain catly arts such as proper grooming their faces.

Both girls are yet unnamed, so suggestions are welcome. What I want to know is whether it's possible to try and teach them how to clean their own eye-cheese and boogers. You can see it in the last photo especially, both of them have yet to truly do it on their own and without human assistance it builds up into gunk. They're also caught up with all of their immunizations/shots and have a clean bill of health otherwise.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats weren't abandoned early that I know of, although they were all strays, and they don't clean their own eye boogers off; the closest they come is the whole "lick the paw and swipe the face" thing. If you want to encourage them to do that, I'd say try using a warm wet washcloth, wrung out pretty well. It simulates a cat's tongue decently. Also, if they tend to be in cat piles often, they might get to cleaning each others' face. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Also, if they tend to be in cat piles often, they might get to cleaning each others' face. :3:

The GIS'd "cat pile." The results were mostly awesome, as you can imagine. :3:

Click here for the full 500x657 image.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Complete :3: overload. I might actually explode now.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

monsterbunny posted:

Both girls are yet unnamed, so suggestions are welcome. What I want to know is whether it's possible to try and teach them how to clean their own eye-cheese and boogers. You can see it in the last photo especially, both of them have yet to truly do it on their own and without human assistance it builds up into gunk. They're also caught up with all of their immunizations/shots and have a clean bill of health otherwise.

They are sooooo cute! congrats! My cat is really prone to boogers, and I pick them. Yes I pick my cats boogers. If she gets like some gunk in her eye or a black booger I just do a quick face swipe, she gives me a look and that's that.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
I know this problem has been addressed, but since I can't find a thread for it and because I don't want to start a new thread for it, I'll just ask amongst the cat experts here.

My cat, Nori, previously used to be outside either on a leash or under strict supervision. For a while, it wasn't a problem and she never ventured more than a couple of feet away. Lately, though, she's been venturing dangerously far. There's a fence across the stoop in front of the door she never used to go through, and now she loves running through and perching on a rock on the other side. This makes me very nervous, not only because it's a pain in the rear end to have to carry her and hop the fence but also because that puts her too close to the street for comfort.

My first step that I took to fix this was the obvious one of unilaterally banning her from the outside so as not to give mixed signals. The problem is, she's become weirdly obsessed with getting outside and will try to bolt at the first chance that she gets when the door's open.

What's the best way to get her to stop obsessing with running outside? I've been thinking of getting an air canister and spritzing her whenever she makes a move towards an open door. Good/bad idea? Another possibility is doing the same thing with a can of coins or some other annoying noise.

She's about 2 years old and is spayed. She's an indoor cat, other than the previous times she was let out briefly, and given that the apartment is fairly close to the road, her becoming an outdoor cat is out of the question.

Picture from a time in the past when she was let outside for your help:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I would start by making sure you're really offering her as much stimulation as possible-- she wants to go outside because she gets stimulation out there. So lots of play and interaction that wears her out should help. Can you have another cat, or is that not possible for you? A companion might help a lot.

Last resort would be seeing if you can construct some sort of cat run or something with a cat door leading to it. That's a great long-term solution, but obviously a bit of a pain in the rear end to build/execute, and less practical if you're renting.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

One of the most important things is consistency too, along with the other stuff Fire said. My cats have never been let outside, but every time we move somewhere new, they don't know the boundaries and constantly try to get through every door. The way I do it is jingle my keys at the door they're not supposed to go through so they know to stay back, but you could use sssscat or something similar. Be consistent about where a boundary is, plus have lots of fun stuff to do inside (do you have a cat tree or a perch near a window?)

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I would start by making sure you're really offering her as much stimulation as possible-- she wants to go outside because she gets stimulation out there.

It's also just new = exciting. My cats are obsessed with getting into the laundry room, and there's truly nothing interesting in there, they're just not allowed to patrol it normally.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:
Dumb question, first time cat owner here.

Adopted and brought home Pete today. As soon as I opened the carrier he bolted and after much searching we discovered that he has somehow found his way into the stove. Like, behind the back panel of the oven. And he's not coming out.

Any tips on luring him out? I would like to use my oven again some day. And also get my cat back.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
New cats love hiding under bookcases and other impossible corners. You can try toys but usually only the allure of other cats work. Just leave his food and water out, and he'll come out in a day usually.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It may take him a few days to come out to do more than eat and piss. Give him time; this is how cats adapt to new homes. Don't try to lure him out, as you'll probably just scare him more. However, if he does come out on his own, feel free to try to block off the oven's back, so that he finds a less...hot place to hide. :D

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
When my kitten gets neutered will he be less annoying? I mean, they have to chill out a little bit once you cut their balls out, right? Serious question.

In general, when do kittens get less kitten-y and annoying? And do they ever stop making GBS threads SO MUCH because AGH. Where is all that poop even coming from?

I really just wish my kitten would stop terrorizing my older cat. :(

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

spatula posted:

When my kitten gets neutered will he be less annoying? I mean, they have to chill out a little bit once you cut their balls out, right? Serious question.

In general, when do kittens get less kitten-y and annoying? And do they ever stop making GBS threads SO MUCH because AGH. Where is all that poop even coming from?

Well, around 7ish months, I'd say they become more like teenagers than little spazzy kittens. Certainly still full of piss and vinegar, but a bit more restrained about it. They probably won't be fully mature (physically and mentally) until around 2 years. This is why kittens suck. It's also why they are awesome.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

spatula posted:

My kitten got his snipped about, hrm, a month agoish, and he's still as big of an rear end in a top hat as ever. I just figure cutting their balls out just makes them hate you a bit more. He spent the morning meowing to wake everyone up and is now taking to pulling down every wreath in the house.

He still play fights with Tigger, too, but afterward they cuddle and clean each other.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

spatula posted:

Sometimes they do but most of the time they don't. I got Smudge neutered and I was promised - PROMISED - by the vet that he would be groggy the day of the surgery and probably quiet all day long. Ha! I ended up calling up the vet about an hour after I got him home concerned that he was so fuckin' zoomy that he was going to tear something, and in fact he managed to worry his microchip spot open and was bleeding everywhere.

They do stop the paint peeling poop at some point though. I've noticed that Smudge gradually has stopped driving me from the apartment with the odor of his poop, although he still manages it on occassion. He's about...uh...8 months old now? I think? He's also still insane and a total rear end in a top hat and I find myself taking unnecessarily long drives with friends to avoid going home. Buuuuut then I do come home and he's so happy to see me that he's all crawling around my feet and begging to be picked up and he just purrs and purrs and purrs and I can't be mad :)

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Thanks guys!

My little man Dwight is somewhere in the range of 4-5 months old now, and the whole annoying, crazy kitten thing is very new to me. My adult cat came declawed so it's also a little shocking how much trouble this guy can get into with claws intact (the first time he climbed straight up my screen door I freaked), so I am looking forward to slapping some SoftPaws on this dude.

Anyway, here's a funny picture of my boyfriend and Dwight.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So is there *any* spray that will keep these two assholes out of the tree? No-Stay spray from PetSmart has no effect whatsoever, nor has the two dozen or so times they've gotten a blast of water to the phiz for climbing around inside it. They basically wait till I'm not looking and jump right in.

Oh, and thanks to whoever recommended Da Bird earlier in the thread; my two kittens are going absolutely apeshit over it. They've liked other toys, but not like this; leaping almost 5 feet in the air to grab it, hissing at one another if one catches it and won't let the other have it, etc

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's the exact reaction my cats have to Da Bird as well.

As for the tree, the only surefire combo I've ever heard of is wiring the tree to the ceiling and using plastic and fabric ornaments only.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Weird question but: Where do your guys' cats usually lose/keep their toys? My cats always seem to lose their toys instantly and they hardly ever end up in the obvious spots (under the couch, under the fridge, etc.). Do cats often stash their favorite toys in awkward spots on purpose? If so, I haven't found their stash yet.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

I don't know about your cat, but mine hides socks in this cheap cat tent he has. He also will hide his toys in there, except for a dolphin keychain thing which he runs around the house with and keeps near him the majority of the time. As for anything that rolls on the floor, rubber or plastic, he will lose them and I'll never see them again.

If your cat is like mine and he loses a toy he likes, he'll try to paw under wherever it rolled. I stopped buying mine any small toys that he can lose unless I'm around to watch him play with it because of that same problem. He's got larger rolling balls if he has to play with something and they're too big to fit under anything.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats like to toss their toys under the door to the nursery. We keep the door closed because we're painting and wainscoting and furnituring in there, but the space under the door is just big enough for many cat toys to fit under. Every time I go in there I find a little stash by the door. :3:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

HondaCivet posted:

Weird question but: Where do your guys' cats usually lose/keep their toys? My cats always seem to lose their toys instantly and they hardly ever end up in the obvious spots (under the couch, under the fridge, etc.). Do cats often stash their favorite toys in awkward spots on purpose? If so, I haven't found their stash yet.

My boy Kleng likes to push his toys under a storage container that's on wheels. Then he spends 30 minutes trying to fish it out again. It's the cutest thing. It's not so cute when he dunks them in the water bowl. And he doesn't just keep them there for safe keeping like some cats, he gets them soaking wet, then pulls them out and plays with them up and down the hallway, leaving a big wet mess.

Maneki used to lose all her krinkle balls under the stove. Every few months we'd pull them out with a wire clothes hanger. She'd get SO excited when she saw that wire hanger come out of the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mine stuff them under the area rugs. But a large amount of them go missing forever. I go through about 6 of the tiny cloth mice a month. when I move they will find hundreds of them.