Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

quote:

OH MAN the MIDI editor is driving me mad. I've been tracking for most of my computer music needs until I recently got Live. I cant even figure out how to program a simple pitch bend up to a specific note or even just up a particular interval. The automation for the pitch bend envelope is conveniently from -8191 to 8191, and the AU I'm using doesn't have an adjustable PB range. I don't seriously have to do math every time I want to program a gliss or whatever, right? (I guess P00-PFF is also math in a tracker, but at least it's doesn't change based on some arbitrary PB range).

That's just one example, but it has to be my ignorance on my part that's making this so difficult. Is there "MIDI Programming for Idiots" or something that would help me get up to speed and keep me from getting so frustrated trying to make the sound I hear in my head? I'm using mainly third party plugins since I didn't buy the suite and I'm honestly thinking about giving Renoise a shot (rewired into Live...that works, right?). But there's got to be a better way to get specific with midi.

edit: I did try the Pitch MIDI effect. I can't get it to work by simply automating the its envelope.
Oh man that is such a typical tracker question, I had that exact same problem. The way MIDI deals with this is so different and clumsy :( Your best bet would probably be to use a synth that has an adjustable portamento/glide time. If your weapon of choice doesn't have that you are pretty much out of luck. edit: or, if you're dealing with samples, use ReViSiT, which is basically IT as a VSTi plugin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2014

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I just use my ears for that kind of stuff. I always draw in an exponential curve anyway because it sounds more natural, if it's just a linear point to point glide it sounds weird. : /

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Might be a dumb question, but does the VCI-100 work with Ableton for DJing? I've been using Traktor for the past 2 years but I'm looking to start learning Ableton as well

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Is there a function in Ableton Live 8 which generates random Midi Notes in the Piano Roll?

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

chief touching you posted:

Is there a function in Ableton Live 8 which generates random Midi Notes in the Piano Roll?

You could just use an arpeggiator on random mode and somehow press all the keys on your keyboard, ha...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Vernacular posted:

Might be a dumb question, but does the VCI-100 work with Ableton for DJing? I've been using Traktor for the past 2 years but I'm looking to start learning Ableton as well

The buttons and faders should be easy to map into Live, but I'm not sure that anybody has had much luck getting the wheels to work. You might want to poke around on the djtechtools.com forums.

penneydude posted:

You could just use an arpeggiator on random mode and somehow press all the keys on your keyboard, ha...

Or use the Random MIDI effect build into Live.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

h_double posted:

Or use the Random MIDI effect build into Live.

Yeah, I've tried that, but I actually want to see and manipulate the midi notes once I've heard something I like. I would like to use it as a "happy accident" generator, persay.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Create a new track, set the MIDI From to the track with the Random MIDI effect on it, and record a clip.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

I don't seem to be able to record key presses into the arrangement while the instrument is playing a clip?

Right, when you're playing a clip, you can record into clips, not into the arrangement. If you want to record into the arrangement, play a loop there.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Made with, of course, Ableton Live.

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/string-theory

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Made with, of course, Ableton Live.

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/string-theory

That popping sound that comes in on upbeats...at first I thought I kept getting chat messages, but then I realized I wasn't that popular :smith:

thepettifogger
Dec 31, 2008
Ignore me if this has been asked before
I am using Ableton 8 and i have the simpler but not the sampler(funny to say)
Is there some way i can record a track while playing multiple different samples at the same time.
Thanks

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
No. Simpler's limitation is that it only keeps one sample stretched over the keyboard; it can read Sampler patches (in that case it doesn't show a waveform, just a notice).

The workaround is to build an Instrument Rack with several Simplers and to use the Instrument Rack's option to limit the number of keys the Simpler plays on.

Alternatively, use a different sampler (if you're running Windows, check out ShortCircuit).

Alternatively, load each sample up in a Drum Rack where you get a different sample per key.

thepettifogger
Dec 31, 2008

Yoozer posted:

Alternatively, load each sample up in a Drum Rack where you get a different sample per key.

oh true i didn't even think of that, i will definitely try that.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm coming to Live from Cubase, how do I get a drum map editor in the MIDI instead of a keyboard?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

No. 9 posted:

I'm coming to Live from Cubase, how do I get a drum map editor in the MIDI instead of a keyboard?

You don't. Live's MIDI implementation is pretty basic compared to the likes of Cubase/Sonar/etc.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

No. 9 posted:

For triggering samples you'll load in? Cause a drum rack would work for that if I'm getting the question.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It sounds like No. 9 wants something that shows meaningful names for the drums, instead of the keyboard in MIDI edit mode, so that you don't have to remember that G#1 = pedal hi hat.

Using drum racks is okay if you're playing single sampled hits, but doesn't help you if you're using a full-on drum sampler like Battery.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

h_double posted:

It sounds like No. 9 wants something that shows meaningful names for the drums, instead of the keyboard in MIDI edit mode, so that you don't have to remember that G#1 = pedal hi hat.

Yeah something like this. Using ezdrummer and Battery.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

No. 9 posted:

Yeah something like this. Using ezdrummer and Battery.

Oh. Then no. Just gotta remember which button's which. Though if you're using something like ezdrummer regularly you'll get the hang of it in no time, although ezdrummer and addictive drums use different maps which is really god drat annoying. I can pretty much play drums with addictive drums and a midi keyboard but am hopeless with another map.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

colonp posted:

What's wrong with this?

Yes, you can do that with drum racks, but not (as far as I know) with other drum samplers.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 3, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Ahh, just got my APC40!!
Loving it...I didn't expect to graduate so quickly from the Launchpad.
So...Launchpad for sale?

Also: How do you undisclose grouped tracks with the APC40?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can someone tell me what sort of power adapter the APC40 has?

I'm off to Vancouver for vacation in a few weeks, and have found that I can pick one up over there for £120 less than I'd pay here in the UK. Of course, the only obstacle is the voltage difference over here. Is the APC40 one of those helpful devices which allows you to interchange UK/US power leads, or does it have an awkward power transformer thingy on the plug that I'd need to buy a converter for?

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

moron posted:

I'm off to Vancouver for vacation in a few weeks, and have found that I can pick one up over there for £120 less than I'd pay here in the UK. Of course, the only obstacle is the voltage difference over here. Is the APC40 one of those helpful devices which allows you to interchange UK/US power leads, or does it have an awkward power transformer thingy on the plug that I'd need to buy a converter for?

you'll have to get a travel adapter...the one I have here is US only.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

moron posted:

The APC40 comes with a switching power adapter that switches from 100V-240V. I am using one I imported from the US fine over here in Australia, just by using a $1 US to AUS plug adapter.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

colonp posted:

Ah.

How do I get it back to normal?

Click here for the full 646x229 image.

dude never mind how do you get back to normal, how the gently caress did you get there in the first place

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Here's some stuff you might not have known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA&hd=1

I was pleasantly surprised by the grain delay and I really have to dig deeper into effects racks with the parallel stuff and whatnot.

Jimix posted:

dude never mind how do you get back to normal, how the gently caress did you get there in the first place

Best post/avatar combo.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 8, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

forum doesnt do lotsa spaces

Use " "

Like so: TR909 ClsHat2.wav                .wav

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

RivensBitch posted:

What is Max4Live missing compared to Max/MSP by itself? I've been resetting the 30 day MAX trial for a while now and have been debating which is the more useful purchase, Upgrading live 7->8 and getting max for live, or getting max/msp.
From what I understand, MFL is basically the same thing as Max/MSP, except instead of making standalone applications, you're creating extensions to Ableton Live. It all depends on what you want to use it for, really.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Picked up some new gear to enhance my Ableton live experience this week - some KRK Rockit 6's, an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, and the new U-He ACE virtual modular synth

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

chief touching you posted:

Picked up some new gear to enhance my Ableton live experience this week - some KRK Rockit 6's, an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, and the new U-He ACE virtual modular synth

Let us know how ACE is, cause holy gently caress I loving love zebra

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

There's a fully-functional (except slightly crackly audio and maybe save/loading limitations?) demo available, give it a try. Seemed pretty drat cool when I checked it out the other day.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
So I've been having a hell of a time trying to get tracks to sound good and not warp like a bitch in Live 8. I'd taken to not warping on transients, or switching depending on the track. Lots of tracks still didn't sound super great, and even with what appeared to be razor-sharp custom warping, many of them still didn't keep very good time. On a whim I decided to try "Complex Pro" and see how that worked.

2 hour flawless mix, no additional warping or futzing done. If like me you were having any issues with warping your tracks, give it a shot. This may have been obvious all along, but I never really investigated the different warping methods too closely.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

mezzir posted:

It's pretty amazing but HOLY HELL does it crash a lot

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

xpander posted:

On a whim I decided to try "Complex Pro" and see how that worked.

Yeah, complex and complex pro are the only two warping methods that should be used for full songs. Complex pro is definitely preferable if your CPU can handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Dopo posted:

Yeah, complex and complex pro are the only two warping methods that should be used for full songs. Complex pro is definitely preferable if your CPU can handle it.

i've never really noticed that big of a hit between complex and complex pro, honestly. Pro sounds great though -- it gets rid of a lot of the smearing of transients and the occasional digital noise.