Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Novolin posted:

There are two sets, and you should be able to drive into the playground and then ram them (possibly running over a few people in the process)
Either I am at the wrong area or simply unable to figure this out. Can you just spoiler why someone would do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

McKracken posted:

Just got Dino Crisis from the PSN. What should I be aware of? I've got hours upon hours of experience with the PS era RE titles but this is my first time with Dino Crisis.

I havent finished yet but from what I have played. Dont be afraid to mix the poo poo you have together. It frees up space and gets you better items. I have come across numerous items that I couldnt pick up because my inventory was full.

Also, I have run past most of the dinosaurs. When you walk into a room, even if the dinosaur is right in front of you, it wont react immediately which gives you time to get to where you are going. It really isnt worth it to kill them since they soak up tons of ammo

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

abagofcheetos posted:

Either I am at the wrong area or simply unable to figure this out. Can you just spoiler why someone would do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79do0TSM0_M&feature=related

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Scalding Coffee posted:

How should I begin ruling the world in Evil Genius?

You should know there's quite a few bugs in the game, things that say they reduce heat but actually increase heat, things that say they reduce time for acts of infamy but don't change it at all, etc. I would recommend getting both the official and unofficial fan patches for it.

http://wiki.n1nj4.com/index.php?title=Official_Patch
http://wiki.n1nj4.com/index.php?title=Unofficial_Patch

If you want to be cheap about it, the pro-strat is to grind money during the mission with the maid (right at the beginning of the game). No one will come attack you during this time so lots of players let the game run over night and just accumulate millions of dollars so that it's one less thing you have to micromanage during the actual game. Make sure you have a big enough strongroom for it all if you do.

Super agents will wreck your loving day. Kill them the instant the quests become available.

Don't underestimate stat damage. Draining someone's wits is as good as killing them. Probably better because you don't have to make room in the freezers.

Make sure you keep one of each advanced type of minion around (like valets) so that you can train more. If your last of a type dies you'll have to go through the trouble of kidnapping/interrogating one all over again.

If you're feeling like "Hey, I'm not micromanaging enough things at the moment", feel free to pick up Red Ivan as an additional henchman. Just don't actually let him in your base.

Edit: There's at least one thing in the game that seems like it should be a left-click but it's actually a right-click. I can't remember what it is though. I think it might be when you interrogate people in holding. I guess if you're trying to do something and it isn't working try a right-click instead.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 2, 2009

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Coming a bit late to the party, but a couple more things I would emphasize very strongly for Fallout 3...

- Repair isn't just a useful skill, it's the most useful skill in the game, hands down. It makes your weapons and armor perform better, makes equipment sell better, cuts down on your encumbrance (since you can just salvage broken-down gear instead of lugging it around), and gives useful quest options more than once. This skill is absolutely vital and I would recommend maxing it as soon as humanly possible.

- Intelligence is the best stat, followed by strength. Skill points are everything and intelligence just plain old gives you a lot more of them. Ideally you should set your int to 9 when you start the game - this way you can get the bobblehead in Rivet City and max it out without being wasteful. Strength lets you carry more, which is great if you're like me and enjoy having a wide selection of weapons available.

- It's been said, but it bears saying again: Small arms dominate the early game and most of the mid-game as well. In the later stages, energy weapons (plasma in particular) become readily available and are very effective.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol holy poo poo. Yeah I was at the wrong spot, I am definitely doing this ASAP.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
So is the wiki gone forever?

blackguy32 posted:

I havent finished yet but from what I have played. Dont be afraid to mix the poo poo you have together. It frees up space and gets you better items. I have come across numerous items that I couldnt pick up because my inventory was full.

Also, I have run past most of the dinosaurs. When you walk into a room, even if the dinosaur is right in front of you, it wont react immediately which gives you time to get to where you are going. It really isnt worth it to kill them since they soak up tons of ammo

I'm halfway into my second playthrough now and I would agree that avoiding 99% of the enemies is the way to go. If there's not a lot of space to dodge, or I'm sandwiched I'll use darts but that's about it. Also it seems that dinosaurs respawn in certain rooms which makes killing them the first time even more useless.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
I'm about to start Parasite Eve for the very first time. Any tips?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I bought myself Bioshock and have been having fun luring splicers into water to shock them. Im not much further than when you first get Electro Bolt, what should I be doing to get the most out of this game?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

System Shock 2
The weapons are heavily unbalanced. The assault rifle, grenade launcher and crystal shard are the most useful, in that order. The exotic weapons that shoot worms, the heavy weapons after the GL and the energy rifle are mostly useless. Don't spend points to be able to use weapons that you won't end up using much or don't get enough ammo for.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

*You cannot create a genocide cannon despite the seemingly unlimited customization of your weapons. Some combos refuse to work. Stick with a 3X shot to keep damage/bullet under control before you get the harder stuff.
*Changing equipment will reset the growth of your energy meter should it become too slow.
*You should take on an enemy that gives lots of experience and avoid taking damage, to get the most out of your level bonuses.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Use BP as soon as you get it. Put about 2/3rds of it into attack and 1/3 into range. Don't worry about the other stats as much (if at all). The higher your attack, the faster you kill. The faster you kill, the more likely it is you don't get hit, which means even more BP, which means higher attack, etc. You'll also get bonus BP if you don't save during days (this may not be so viable until NG+, but there is a reason to play NG+, so...).

Hang onto every weapon you have. Use Tools and Super Tools on them to dump stats and some attributes onto your primary weapon.

Avoid Uzis, they are ammo hogs. plus the X1 shot weapons do more damage later on when you get better attributes than the X2, X3, and X5s (I think X10 does more, but that's a lot of ammo) X2 and X3 are OK at the start of the game, as you have less options then.
Pistols are good, but become really good later on, as they get more attribute slots than other weapons.
Rifles are OK (always have a backup one on you for range until you make your super weapon).
Shotguns are ridiculous. if you don't use one use a Tool to put its burst effect on another weapon. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

Junk has a purpose, give it to the weapon guy. 300'll do the trick, it is worth it if you tackle the NG+ content, otherwise not so much...

In the last day you'll be able to inscribe a weapon and an armor. You'll keep those for NG+, so make sure you do it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Secret Ooze posted:

I bought myself Bioshock and have been having fun luring splicers into water to shock them. Im not much further than when you first get Electro Bolt, what should I be doing to get the most out of this game?

Any second now someone is going to post to tell you how to break the game, personally I think to get the most fun out of the game, you just play it how you want to play it. The only things I'd say are that mathematically, you are better to save all the little sisters than harvest them, and that the chemical thrower is theoretically the best gun (although I played through the game twice and used it maybe 4 times total, its still technically the best gun with the electric gel).

Oh, actually, if you want to get all the upgrade stations, and all the audio logs, dont (repeat DO NOT) kill Sander Cohen in front of his artwork. You'll know the bit when it happens. If you dont kill him you can get into his apartment later for an audio log and an upgrade station.

Other than that, go nuts, its a great game.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Secret Ooze posted:

To make the game a bit easier, take pictures of everything moving with the camera. In addition to all the different splicers, you can take pictures of Big Brothers, Little Sisters, and Cameras/Turrets. You can also take multiple pictures of the same subject, but each successive picture will return less gains. The pictures typically make you do more damage to that particular subject, but there are some bonus tonics thrown in the mix.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Ooze posted:

Save all your electric ammo for big daddys
Don't underestimate the wrench, it can be straight up amazing with the right plasmids

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

To make the game a bit easier, take pictures of everything moving with the camera. In addition to all the different splicers, you can take pictures of Big Brothers, Little Sisters, and Cameras/Turrets. You can also take multiple pictures of the same subject, but each successive picture will return less gains. The pictures typically make you do more damage to that particular subject, but there are some bonus tonics thrown in the mix.

Taking pictures of the cameras, turrets and security bots is especially useful because you can instantly hack them once you've maxed out your research level on those subjects.

Also, the games flavor text about the research camera suggests something about DNA sampling, which implies that it does nothing for cameras/turrets/bots, you can run out of cameras and turrets to take pictures of, and I want my achievements :argh:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
With regards to taking pictures: photos of the subject attacking are worth more, and photos of them dead are worth less. Also, don't worry about messing up a shot as if it's not worth anything you don't use up film.

pseudorandom name posted:

Also, the games flavor text about the research camera suggests something about DNA sampling, which implies that it does nothing for cameras/turrets/bots, you can run out of cameras and turrets to take pictures of, and I want my achievements :argh:

You can keep taking pictures of the same thing, they just become worth less and less each time. I don't know if eventually you wouldn't be able to get anything from one subject.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

You can keep taking pictures of the same thing, they just become worth less and less each time. I don't know if eventually you wouldn't be able to get anything from one subject.

If memory serves you get 3 usuable shots, worth less each time, and even then I think the last one pretty much has to be them attacking or multiple subjects.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 2, 2009

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

So I get a camera eventually? And the wrench gets better than electrically-stunning someone and one-shotting them with it?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Secret Ooze posted:

So I get a camera eventually? And the wrench gets better than electrically-stunning someone and one-shotting them with it?

Yes, you get a camera. You need film to power it, so buy a bunch as soon as you see it in a vending machine. Don't be afraid to spend your money because after a level or two you'll be flirting with the max ($500) for the entire game.

And yes, the wrench is so powerful with its boosting tonics that guns become utility weapons. You'll use the chemical thrower and shotgun to kill big daddies, the crossbow to snipe distant targets, and that's about it.

Also, regarding plasmids: you'll benefit if you don't buy plasmid upgrades the second they become available. The longer you wait, the cheaper they get. Since there's a finite amount of ADAM in the game, waiting will let you buy more stuff. (This is totally unnecessary, however, because the game is so easy after the first stage or two that it doesn't really matter if you're min/maxing.)

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The wiki seems to be down, so does anyone have any info for Dragon Quest V for DS? I know that in 4 there's the whole thing with the shop and cautery swords to make a ton of money, is there anything like that in 5 I should be aware of?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Grundma posted:

The wiki seems to be down, so does anyone have any info for Dragon Quest V for DS? I know that in 4 there's the whole thing with the shop and cautery swords to make a ton of money, is there anything like that in 5 I should be aware of?
When you get the ability to recruit monsters, try to recruit a Rotten Apple. Up until it maxes out at level 20 it will be one of your best party members.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Slime Knights have an incredible equipment selection and learn great healing magic. I used two of them in my active party for for most of the game, and even when I replaced them with humans I still kept them in reserve for healing.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just got Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, any tips?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SiKboy posted:

Any second now someone is going to post to tell you how to break the game, personally I think to get the most fun out of the game, you just play it how you want to play it.

Hah, I was going to tell him to play on a harder difficulty if he was enjoying the challenge level so far. Yes, the wrench is the strongest weapon in the game (and possibly ANY game). Be aware that if you load up with wrench tonics, there will be no challenge for the rest of the game. Even if you're not going full-on wrench, the Wrench Lurker tonic turns the game from a tense, dark shooter to a cakewalk; you'll turn invisible if you stop moving for a second, and all the splicers just bumble around until you kill them.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find any Gun Skill tonics, though. There's also no way to upgrade plasmid damage, so expect to do most of your killing with the left mouse button / left trigger.

Have fun, though! I played through the game once at full retail price on PC and picked it up again on 360 a few months ago, making this the only game I've ever bothered to own on two platforms.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just bought Odin Sphere from Gamestop, and I'm wondering what to do in that and it's sister game, Muramasa.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I just bought Odin Sphere from Gamestop, and I'm wondering what to do in that and it's sister game, Muramasa.

In Odin Sphere, balancing use of Phozons (I think that's what they're called?) is how you level up. Make good use of seeds to grow poo poo, and remember that the phozon-producing plants require no seeds so its free phozons. The spell that creates the phozons is especially useful. Just know that any plant that hasn't gotten all of its phozons and grown fully is essentially a waste.

Oh and there are two endings, depending on what characters fight what end bosses. You can learn these by reading 'prophecies' around the game.

Muramasa should be played on hard mode for fun times. It doesn't matter what order you play what character's chapters, but once you beat both you unlock another chapter to play through.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Odin Sphere can be really, really hard at times, especially as it progresses. The thing is, it wants you to succeed, and you can bail out of any given story, chapter, battle, or anything, without losing any progress at all, and there is no penalty to dying at all.

Use the restaurant frequently once you discover it, and, for the same reason, try and keep all your Ariel, Valentinian, and especially Commemorative coins, and try and spend the other two exclusively as much as you can manage.

Save your cash early on as much as you can bear to buy bigger bags as chapters progress.

Spread your phozons out evenly, at least until you get the hang of the game. Sucking too many into your weapon will probably hose you on HP.

Get in the habit of using the alchemy multipliers as much as you can. Make level 90 jugs as often as you can--mulberries add 5 by themselves and take almost nothing to grow, so you can make a 10, a 5, and then throw seeds or bones at the 5 til it's a 9, and then make that into a 90, and then add to it to get whatever ones digit you need for potions. This gets you an absolute flood of phozons for potions you need anyway. (this paragraph probably makes no sense yet but come back to it later)

When you get to a character's Epilogue chapter, do your best to beat the boss in a way that leaves you as full as you can manage on good potions, food, and the like, and the ability to make more. You'll thank yourself when the final chapter rolls around.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Muramasa is a bit more straightforward--as was said, hard mode is not nearly as hard as it'd have you think, and the game is a lot more entertaining on it, especially if you've just gotten done with Odin Sphere.

Grab all the spirits even if your swords are all full--they're currency for making swords.

Sword spells/abilities/whatever almost all make you invincible for their duration, and this is incredibly handy with some skills, especially ones like Gale.

Look at swords' passive abilities--lots of them make it worth using them even if the item itself is kinda butt.

Big swords are generally kind of clunky, but most of the enemies are on the whole predictable enough to get away with using them once you know what you're doing.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Muramasa.

Save your items for boss fights. There's no penalty for dying so using healing items against random baddies isn't worth it.

Also thirding the Hard mode suggestion, I think the only real difference is that in Easy you automatically block attacks.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I'll add one more piece of advice for Odin Sphere. When you finish a character's chapter, put the game down and play something else for awhile, then come back to play the new character, and repeat. Odin Sphere is one of my favorite games, but you do retread a lot of old ground with each character. I treated each chapter like it's own "little" game, Tales of Monkey Island-style, and I think it improved my experience with it immeasurably.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Polite Tim posted:

It's been a while since I played that game but I remember filling up a unit with nothing but mages is really overpowered. They get a really powerful offensive spell that you can use without even having to enter combat.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Polite Tim posted:

Give each unit a cleric in the back row. Other than that place things where they're most effective. Mages in the back, archers and dracosages in the middle.

Aim for larger rooms. Don't expect to get 9 spot rooms right off the bat. However every so often when you exchange rooms, they'll come with occupants. Some aren't worth your time, but the one full of witches are. They'll add extra spots to the room they spawn in every few battles. You do have to fight them before you can use the room though.

Don't worry too much about shops, items and decorations in the main quest, the game is pretty easy if you treat battles like a Fire Emblem game. As in that you're always attacking/defending with an advantage.

ACT is king. It determines how far each unit moves and how often it moves. Try to make your unit leaders something with an ACT up tactic. Which you should use any time you're out of range for anything.

More characters of the same type in each unit enhances the special attacks avaiable. Bonuses usually come at 3 5 and 9. For every two matching mage/dracosage characters in a unit the same type of the leader the range of their tactical magic strike increases.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey just got Jade Cocoon 2 and Ultimate Spiderman from my brother, any suggestions on these?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Madmarker posted:

Ultimate Spiderman

It's been a while since I've played this, but I remember, vividly, enjoying the game a lot more once I decided to not do the races against Johnny the loving Human Torch. He's a cheating dick and the speed upgrades he gives for winning are far from essential.

It's a fun, but very short game so enjoy it while it lasts.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Draile posted:

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks for the tips

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I just picked up Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 2 for the GBA. I'd love to play the first, but haven't found a copy, so I'm pretty much completely lost as far as plot goes. It also didn't have a manual, so if anyone could post a link to a place that has the manual (replacement docs doesn't), or a brief like what would be found in the manual, and maybe a link to a plot summary of the first game, it would really help. It's fun so far, but I'm so confused.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Thinking about playing SMT: Nocturne... the only SMT games I've played are Persona 3 and 4 (which I liked a lot). What should I know?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Thinking about playing SMT: Nocturne... the only SMT games I've played are Persona 3 and 4 (which I liked a lot). What should I know?

Once you forget a skill, you can never learn it again, so you do have to plan out your skill learning accordingly. You shouldn't have to grind for too much of the game, except for one fiend you are required to fight (The rest are optional, the one you have to fight is Matador, who is a giant pain in the rear end.

You will get a Pixie as your first demon. Under no circumstances should you release her from your party. It is okay to fuse her into other demons, and fuse that demon into other demons, but you must keep that derived demon in your party at all times (it should always be at the top of your list). You will understand why in the endgame.

Buffs are absolutely essential for Nocturne, far moreso than Persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Argon_Sloth posted:

Phantom Brave
- Pile up as much stuff on top of Marona's house as you can to get a Bottlemail. Do this as soon as possible

- Kill any neutral humanoid units. Killing an enemy unit allows you to produce that type of units.

- Try to specialize each phantom in one of the 7 types of attacks. Best to match up their ratings and attack stats. You'll earn more SP by using the attacks. Every weapon carries an SP 0 attack of it's dominant type. Atk and Int based attacks are easiest to work with. Marona is best suited for Resistance based attacks which comes from healing and support magics. She can get some really damaging support magics off of crystals.

- Unlike just about every other NIS game, units don't have tiers, just titles. Get a titlist and apply a title. You get titles by banishing phantoms/objects (pick it up and talk to Marona). And you can apply titles to random dungeons, phantoms and objects.

- Abuse failure titles.
You should have no trouble making it through dungeons with a level that's twice the level of your party after applying a failure title. You won't get any exp for your kills, but you can use it to level up your skills. Also bring out every one you can, because they'll get bonus experience based on enemy levels. Pick up any items you can, usually your bottle mail will be the only one who can take things home.

Use those items picked up from failure dungeons to boost your weapons/characters mana for use when fusing.

If you apply a fresh failure title to a weapon than fuse a better weapon into it, its stats will greatly improve for less mana. The effect will be more noticeable when you remove the failure title. Try to refine negative stats out of weapons by fusing items with higher equip efficiencies.

Just remember to remove the failure titles when you're done.

I could use a little more help/clarification with Phantom Brave.

First off, I have like 40 objects on top of the house and I haven't gotten any bottle mails other than the two you get at the end of each of the first two chapters.

Second, I could use advice leveling up new characters. I run into trouble trying to advance the plot because all my phantoms except Ash and a couple others are low level. Is there a way to advance levels really fast in the first 3 chapters?

Third, is there a way to get mana really fast yet? Or do I need to reach some later point?