Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Darth Ronson posted:

It's awesome. So awesome in fact I knocked up a couple of desktop wallpapers..

Click here for the full 900x720 image.

Click here for the full 900x720 image.

OH HI DARTH RONSON. How could you miss "Sit down. Have some plaid!"?

SG-83 posted:

I just watched Transformers 2 for the first time, with RiffTrax of course. The commentary was so brutal and vicious, just one :iceburn: after another. You could really feel the rage building as the movie progressed.

I really don't know if I could have sat through that movie in the theater...and I managed to watch Twilight without RiffTrax. That's right, I think Twilight is better than Transformers 2.

OH HI SG-83. Yeah, I sat through Transformers 2 in the theater. It was loving excruciating. That movie should have had a warning label on it.

Which is odd because I kinda liked the first one as a cheesy action movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
So Michael Bay thought just packing the entire movie with incredibly unfunny CGI robots would be a good idea? After the 4534543th loving explosion you just can't possibly care anymore. Even with the rifftrax (even a very funny rifftrax) that movie was horrible. That movie had almost as many different robots as it had extras!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
After rewatching the Jurassic Park riff, I gotta go with Weird Al.

BOY? OR? GIRL?!?!!?!?!?!?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pooned posted:

So Michael Bay thought just packing the entire movie with incredibly unfunny CGI robots would be a good idea? After the 4534543th loving explosion you just can't possibly care anymore. Even with the rifftrax (even a very funny rifftrax) that movie was horrible. That movie had almost as many different robots as it had extras!

I don't have the editing software to test my theory, but I'm positive if you cut out all the completely superfluous poo poo like the parents, the roommate, megan "open-mouthed dull surprise" fox, the 486 fart jokes, and the minstrel-bots, you'd be left with 20 or so minutes of pure awesome robot destruction.

Then you just cut the obnoxious dialogue and set the whole thing to a Pantera album and you'd have the most badass music video ever, as opposed to the worst piece of bloated blockbuster poo poo ever made.

The same can be done for the first one, just cut out any female or black characters and you have a tight, almost decent movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I don't have the editing software to test my theory, but I'm positive if you cut out all the completely superfluous poo poo like the parents, the roommate, megan "open-mouthed dull surprise" fox, the 486 fart jokes, and the minstrel-bots, you'd be left with 20 or so minutes of pure awesome robot destruction.

Then you just cut the obnoxious dialogue and set the whole thing to a Pantera album and you'd have the most badass music video ever, as opposed to the worst piece of bloated blockbuster poo poo ever made.

The same can be done for the first one, just cut out any female or black characters and you have a tight, almost decent movie.
I made a version of the first film that only includes shots with actual robots in them - you know, the Transformers of the title.

It's 39 minutes long. Which means that over an hour and a half of a movie about transforming robots does not actually feature any transforming robots.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Payndz posted:

I made a version of the first film that only includes shots with actual robots in them - you know, the Transformers of the title.

It's 39 minutes long. Which means that over an hour and a half of a movie about transforming robots does not actually feature any transforming robots.

This may be a nitpick, but it seemed that, in the second movie, the robots appeared to have way more parts in robot form than they could possibly have in their not-robot form.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I would really rather see the results if someone did this with The Color Purple.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I was just thinking how awesome it would be if they did a riff of Juno. Anyone know if that's in the works?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I have one they need to do. Gamer.

Jesus christ that's the worst loving movie. How do you make a drunk dude wielding a machine gun that shoots grenades that shoot multiple person-seeking rockets that explodes a person into a fountain of gore BORING.

Seriously how the gently caress.

General Gravedancer
May 14, 2009

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Too bad they don't riff serious drama though. Something like a Lars von Trier movie. It takes real talent to make a dark, gritty movie funny.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mister Kingdom posted:

This may be a nitpick, but it seemed that, in the second movie, the robots appeared to have way more parts in robot form than they could possibly have in their not-robot form.
They did in the first film, too. The first time Bumblebee turns back into a car, the cabin's completely filled with machinery.

The idea of Shia and Megan being ground up by whirling robot parts when they get into the car is oddly appealing.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

Payndz posted:

They did in the first film, too. The first time Bumblebee turns back into a car, the cabin's completely filled with machinery.

The idea of Shia and Megan being ground up by whirling robot parts when they get into the car is oddly appealing.

Click here for the full 925x300 image.

That would be a definite improvement that might have made the movie actually worth watching.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sheldrake posted:

I would really rather see the results if someone did this with The Color Purple.

In all seriousness, watching a Transformers movie is about as racially sensitive as whipping your slaves.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I finally got around to the Troll 2 VOD. I have been so comforted by the MST3k voices in the past that I feared Rich's voice would be jarring to my apparently sensitive sensibilities. Quite the contrary I found it to fall in quite well and the movie overall is really well riffed. Of course it's perfect riff fodder as it makes no loving sense at all.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Payndz posted:

Bear is driving car, how can that be?!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Overwined posted:

I finally got around to the Troll 2 VOD. I have been so comforted by the MST3k voices in the past that I feared Rich's voice would be jarring to my apparently sensitive sensibilities. Quite the contrary I found it to fall in quite well and the movie overall is really well riffed. Of course it's perfect riff fodder as it makes no loving sense at all.

The best guest riffer (sorry Lowtax) was Weird Al. Jurassic Park was classic. Troll 2 would be second.

The guest riffer on Spider-man 3 (some comic book guy) wasn't very good and I was surprised that Richard Cheese was just okay on Ocean's Eleven.

But the best ones are always the tried and true Mike/Kevin/Bill ones. Mike works so much better in the straight-man role with Kevin and Bill being silly. Mike solo just doesn't have the same feel to it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The best guest riffer (sorry Lowtax) was Weird Al. Jurassic Park was classic. Troll 2 would be second.

The guest riffer on Spider-man 3 (some comic book guy) wasn't very good and I was surprised that Richard Cheese was just okay on Ocean's Eleven.

But the best ones are always the tried and true Mike/Kevin/Bill ones. Mike works so much better in the straight-man role with Kevin and Bill being silly. Mike solo just doesn't have the same feel to it.

I really gotta check out that Weird Al guest riff. When I saw that he had done one I thought to myself there'd be no way that was unfunny.

You know who I think would be a great, albeit far-fetched, guest riffer? Mike Rowe. That guy has some serious on the spot sarcasm skills.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Overwined posted:

I really gotta check out that Weird Al guest riff. When I saw that he had done one I thought to myself there'd be no way that was unfunny.

If I was going to pull a Top Ten List out of my rear end, it would probably go:

1. The Day After Tomorrow
2. Titanic
3. Twilight
4. Jurassic Park
5. X2
6. Transformers
7. Transformers 2
8. The Happening
9. The Matrix Revolutions
10. Troll 2

Batman and Robin was the worst. And I'm not brave enough for Glitter or Crossroads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the Maniac riff tonight and man that is probably the strangest movie they've EVER done. It starts out like a standard horror movie with a crazy professor who creates a drug that can bring people back to life but it quickly goes off its rails when his assistant (who was a vaudeville impressionist) murders him and takes his place (using his mastery of impressions.) That's not even getting into the weird stuff.

Also next time I talk to an ex-girlfriend I apparently need to confront her about her time traveling ways as one of the characters looked just like her, just with dyed hair.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The guest riffer on Spider-man 3 (some comic book guy) wasn't very good

That's no comic book guy, that's Minnesota's own James Lileks, a scholar of midwestern kitsch

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
That seems like a good top 10 list (I still need to see Titanic and Transformers 2), but any list that leaves off "The Room" is no list to me. That movie is loving ridiculous.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

And I'm not brave enough for Glitter or Crossroads.

Glitter is fair, but I've never been a big Mary Jo fan. Crossroads is pretty good for a Mike solo effort.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guess what Three Frames had up the other day?

OH HI TWITCHING!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ninja Bob posted:

That seems like a good top 10 list (I still need to see Titanic and Transformers 2), but any list that leaves off "The Room" is no list to me. That movie is loving ridiculous.

Also no Road House, easily the funniest for me even though it's a solo riff. There's just so many classic lines there.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Anybody listened to DRAG ME TO HELL yet, aka where the gently caress was Bruce Campbell?

Only two week to the Wierd Al xmas show. I'm going to the Tysons Corner AMC in virginia http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Comedy/RiffTrax_Xmas.aspx?utm_source=RiffTrax_RTxmas&utm_medium=HomepageLink&utm_campaign=RTxmas_Fathom%2BPage

Also, where was Ted Raimi in DMTH? Serious question, he was in the credits as a Doctor but you never saw him. Wonder if that gets pointed out in the riff.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That's no comic book guy, that's Minnesota's own James Lileks, a scholar of midwestern kitsch

James Lileks's midwestern brand of snark is amazing. It's like if you crossed the MST3K guys and/or Dave Barry with Garrison Keillor.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ninja Bob posted:

Also you can't leave off the Star Wars Holiday Special.

The B&R riff crashed in the second half, but the first half, especially the L'eggo my Eggo line, is great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

mobo85 posted:

James Lileks's midwestern brand of snark is amazing. It's like if you crossed the MST3K guys and/or Dave Barry with Garrison Keillor.

I will not have you insult James Lileks by conflating him with Garrison Keillor, sir.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

rereedrumr posted:

Anybody listened to DRAG ME TO HELL yet, aka where the gently caress was Bruce Campbell?

Only two week to the Wierd Al xmas show. I'm going to the Tysons Corner AMC in virginia http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Comedy/RiffTrax_Xmas.aspx?utm_source=RiffTrax_RTxmas&utm_medium=HomepageLink&utm_campaign=RTxmas_Fathom%2BPage

Also, where was Ted Raimi in DMTH? Serious question, he was in the credits as a Doctor but you never saw him. Wonder if that gets pointed out in the riff.
According to IMDB:

quote:

Cameo: [Ted Raimi] Sam's brother makes an off-screen cameo as a doctor. Their brother Ivan (also the co-screenwriter of this and several other Sam Raimi-directed films) really is a practicing doctor of osteopathic medicine.

I watched the preview of the DMTH riff and decided to pass. The preview just wasn't funny at all. It felt way too forced like they were just trying to make funny comments to make funny comments because they picked a bad film to riff.

DMTH itself is not a bad film at all. It's tongue-in-cheek in the first place and more of a comedy than a horror movie so it doesn't lend itself to being good riffing fodder like something like Transformers 2 does.

It would be like if they tried to do a riff of Army of Darkness. It just wouldn't work.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Turmoil posted:

It would be like if they tried to do a riff of Army of Darkness. It just wouldn't work.

There already is a riff of Army of Darkness. It's called the commentary of the Director's Cut.

Bruce's impression of Sam Raimi kills me every time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ninja Bob posted:

The movie is funnier by itself.

The segments where you had 5 Disembaudios talking over each other is just grating as hell. If you mute them, though, it's probably #11 if I expanded the list. RoadHouse would be #12. The Dark Knight #13. etc.

And I haven't seen the Star Wars Holiday Special (with rifftrax)

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

They do their best, but that thing is so painful, it's STILL hard to sit through it, even with a funny Rifftrax.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The segments where you had 5 Disembaudios talking over each other is just grating as hell.

This is very true.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Please do. It's really good. Such a horrible 'movie'.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The segments where you had 5 Disembaudios talking over each other is just grating as hell.

I would never have considered watching most of the movies that have been riffed so far. I am able to disconnect myself from the riffing and decide whether or not I would like the movie if watched on its own. So far, I haven't run into one. This is not to say the movies are all bad, just that I wouldn't have watched them without the Rifftrax (like the Harry Potter movies - I don't dislike them, they just don't appeal to me, but they seem to be well done).

There is no way I could have watched The Room without the riffing. Agreed on the multi-Disembaudios. A little of him goes a long way.

Also, the Star Wars Holiday Special is a must see. In the past, I'd only been able to watch no more than 10 minutes at a time.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Interesting, I didn't know that "Off Screen cameos" were something that existed.

I watched Drag Me To Hell, thought it was drat funny. Lots of The happening references.

Mike: More leaves blowing in the wind? I'm shocked nobody has asked her if she likes hhhhhawt dogs.

Bill: hhhhhhawt dogs...

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would never have considered watching most of the movies that have been riffed so far. I am able to disconnect myself from the riffing and decide whether or not I would like the movie if watched on its own. So far, I haven't run into one. This is not to say the movies are all bad, just that I wouldn't have watched them without the Rifftrax (like the Harry Potter movies - I don't dislike them, they just don't appeal to me, but they seem to be well done).

There is no way I could have watched The Room without the riffing. Agreed on the multi-Disembaudios. A little of him goes a long way.

Also, the Star Wars Holiday Special is a must see. In the past, I'd only been able to watch no more than 10 minutes at a time.

Well they've got to do something while Tommy Wiseau's naked rear end is on the screen, thrusting away. I thought the Disembodio sketches were better than the 'There's a Hole in My Bucket' sing along, but to each his own.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is the Star Trek Rifftrax any good? I've never listened to one before and am thinking of watching it with the missus tonight...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Jagtpanther posted:

Is the Star Trek Rifftrax any good? I've never listened to one before and am thinking of watching it with the missus tonight...

It's not bad, but not their best work.

Get Twilight or The Happening instead.

This is the ONLY time I will ever recommend either movie.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Jagtpanther posted:

I really liked it - both the Riff and the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Wow you people seem to dismiss the best one. Reign of Fire. Worst movie ever. And they make it a complete joy.

• Locked thread