Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I think these new Avatar toys are just repainted GI Joes.

I assume you're being facetious, they're by two different companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
That's true, but they still do look like terrible GI Joes.

The gimmick where you scan a dodad with your webcam and the characters fight on your computer is pretty funny though, I suppose.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That's true, but they still do look like terrible GI Joes.

The gimmick where you scan a dodad with your webcam and the characters fight on your computer is pretty funny though, I suppose.

I agree that they look spindly as gently caress, but supposedly that's for movie accuracy. Vehicles look pretty cool though.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Art Asylum/Diamond has pushed back ship dates on Battlestar figs again. Nothing new until January for the first 2-pack (unless they push the whole thing back again.)

:smithicide:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Zeitgueist posted:

I agree that they look spindly as gently caress, but supposedly that's for movie accuracy. Vehicles look pretty cool though.

I think their long skinny limbs could be great for some customs. Some guy made a sweet Ragdoll figure out using an avatar figure as the base.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 3, 2009

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?

Joe Fisto posted:

Question: Are the holes in mini-mates feet compatible with lego bricks? My Ghostbuster 'mates don't want to stand solidly.

Yes they are, there was even a ripoff building block system for minimates for awhile there.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think they're long skinny limbs could be great for some customs.
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw them...

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Found two Man-Bats today. I haven't bought a small toy in a while, but I couldn't resist picking them up.

Hoping that Starman is a Jack Knight toy. That will be amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

profbobo posted:

Hoping that Starman is a Jack Knight toy. That will be amazing.

Jack was the Starman in last year's Mattel/Four Horsemen poll to determine the DCUC "Fans' Choice" character for this year's wave 11. The Question won, but they also included Jack Knight Starman, Huntress (in the Jim Lee costume), Catman, Ragman, and someone else... essentially what could have been a very cool wave all together. But since Question won, they threatened that we wouldn't see the other characters any time soon, and the most recent poll included all new characters (and Raven won).

As much as I'd love to upgrade my old DC Direct Jack Knight with a flawless Four Horsemen version, I'm willing to bet they will stick us with the "starry" Starman (easiest repaint ever), and possibly Golden Age Ted Knight as a variant.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jack was the Starman in last year's Mattel/Four Horsemen poll to determine the DCUC "Fans' Choice" character for this year's wave 11. The Question won, but they also included Jack Knight Starman, Huntress (in the Jim Lee costume), Catman, Ragman, and someone else... essentially what could have been a very cool wave all together. But since Question won, they threatened that we wouldn't see the other characters any time soon, and the most recent poll included all new characters (and Raven won).

Who was in the new poll besides Raven?

I'm going to the TRU in Times Square today; it's been pretty lovely pickings the last month. They've put every DC toy on clearance, and I don't think they'll put out any new waves until all of the old stock is gone. I'm hoping Black Friday cleared out the crap so I can snag a GA or Parademon.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Action Man posted:

Who was in the new poll besides Raven?

Toyman
Uncle Sam
Geo-force
Captain Marvel Junior
Libra

Toyman would have been cool, the rest I could care less about.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?target=products&product_id=496

Oh my god Hot Toys just stop it. I can't afford this stuff.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

profbobo posted:

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?target=products&product_id=496

Oh my god Hot Toys just stop it. I can't afford this stuff.

Oh poo poo, it comes with an articulated robot arm. That excites me far more than it should.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The headsculpt is amazing, and I'm sure the whole thing is top notch, but what a stupid figure. Robert Downey Jr. in a sweatshirt with robot legs. Totally worth $200.

The head is awesome though. If you have the first Iron Man figure, it'd be great to just buy the head separately on ebay to put on it.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Toyman
Uncle Sam
Geo-force
Captain Marvel Junior
Libra

Toyman would have been cool, the rest I could care less about.

I would have liked Toyman just because I want a full Legion of Doom (good luck finding a loving Riddler). Libra would have been nice, but I'm glad we won't be seeing Geo Force anytime soon.

Also. TRU was a complete letdown.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Action Man posted:

I would have liked Toyman just because I want a full Legion of Doom .

Agreed. Though I guess I need to get that Braniac in the two pack

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Action Man posted:

I would have liked Toyman just because I want a full Legion of Doom (good luck finding a loving Riddler). Libra would have been nice, but I'm glad we won't be seeing Geo Force anytime soon.

I guess people decided they wanted a complete Teen Titans more than complete LOD.

You could also get the DC Direct Toyman, which is actually a really good figure. I don't think we've ever gotten a good Raven figure.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Fish Of Doom posted:

The headsculpt is amazing, and I'm sure the whole thing is top notch, but what a stupid figure. Robert Downey Jr. in a sweatshirt with robot legs. Totally worth $200.

The head is awesome though. If you have the first Iron Man figure, it'd be great to just buy the head separately on ebay to put on it.

Haha I have the first three Iron Men, with the Battle Damaged one on preorder and I still want it :(

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy spare weapons etc for figures? I'm thinking of bidding on a couple of large 19" Jason Voorhees figures on E-Bay, but they don't have their weapons which, in this case, is a machete.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Do any customizers here have any tips for removing paint from a plastic figure?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
what kind of plastic, what kind of paint?
Vinyl? - an acetone dip is fine, or graffiti wipes.
ABS? Rubbing Alcohol works ok for stamped graphics. Simple Green works, but you have to soak it for a while.
I dunno, I guess I need more information, really.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Most figure paint can be removed with paint remover/brush cleaner stuff that can be bought at almost any hobby store. At Hobby Lobby, it's in the saem aisle as the model paints.

Just brush it on, let it sit like 30 seconds, and wipe off with a rag or thick paper towel.

Darth Ronson posted:

Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy spare weapons etc for figures? I'm thinking of bidding on a couple of large 19" Jason Voorhees figures on E-Bay, but they don't have their weapons which, in this case, is a machete.

I don't know of anywhere to get extra 19" scale weapons. There are several places to get 4" and 6" scale weapons, though.

Anyone who wants custom made weapons for 4" figures, these two places are great

http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/cart/
http://stores.ebay.com/Marauder-Gun-Runners

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2009

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't know of anywhere to get extra 19" scale weapons. There are several places to get 4" and 6" scale weapons, though.

Anyone who wants custom made weapons for 4" figures, these two places are great

http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/cart/
http://stores.ebay.com/Marauder-Gun-Runners

Those sites are excellent; are they mostly 3 3/4th or 6 inch though? Does it even really matter for weapons?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I believe everything on those sites is 3 3/4" stuff, meant for Star Wars and GI Joe. Their stands are that size as well. Some of the bigger guns could probably be fudged to fit in with 6".

There are a few other sites that do 6" weapons and headcasts and stuff, but both that I know of are under maintenance.

http://www.skintuckyfried.com/dmc/dmcdirect/dmcdirect.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/vikings2007/vike.htm

And this guy on ebay makes headcasts of marvel legends and DC direct figures.
http://shop.ebay.com/camcokid/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

My Immortal Iron Fist custom team was part of Fwoosh's customcon today if anyone wants to see the final product.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/2009/12/cc24-iron-fist-and-the-immortal-weapons-by-rust-this-world

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Nice work one of the top entries this year.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Randomly came across DCUC Wave 9 tonight at Fred Meyer, snagged Green Arrow. So if anyone has a Fred Meyer near by they're getting this wave. Only 9.99 too which beats Target and Wal-Mart by 3 bucks where I live.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

The Rage posted:

Randomly came across DCUC Wave 9 tonight at Fred Meyer, snagged Green Arrow. So if anyone has a Fred Meyer near by they're getting this wave. Only 9.99 too which beats Target and Wal-Mart by 3 bucks where I live.

Found them at Target in Oklahoma City today as well. Finished out my set. I thought they were only at Toys R Us, that was the only place I had seen them before.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
The new waves of Superhero Squad are excellent. I got Deathlok, Iron Fist, and motherfuckin' MODOK

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm really late but GODDAMN I would pay GOOD money to get that Megaman figure or commissioned.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A figure like that would unfortunately need to cost good money, because they take me weeks to make. The paint job alone on Mega Man took like 3 days. Sometimes I can bust a whole figure out in a weekend, but not one with that kind of attention to detail. Anybody that's serious about getting custom work done can always hit me up via AIM or PM... but I honestly feel like it's pretty hard to justify paying art gallery prices for toys, which is one reason why I prefer to make my own.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

12" Egon and 6" Winston are up for sale today.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
DCUC Wave 10 is actually starting to trickle into the NoVA/DC area. While mods rename me helped me out with a few figures previously, I've also managed to find everything but Forager at this point in the past few weeks (including a spare Beast Boy and Joker I posted over in the SA Mart thread). We rarely see any of the "rare" waves in this area, so maybe Wave 10 will wind up not, in fact, being a total cluster gently caress disaster.

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004
What do people think of Minimates in this forum? Are they generally cheered or jeered?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pleatherface posted:

What do people think of Minimates in this forum? Are they generally cheered or jeered?

I've never collected them seriously, but I think they're terrific. I have fewer than ten remaining, but the little things are so drat tempting.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Pleatherface posted:

http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/spideybank.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/miniunor.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/batmanmini.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/HPIM2466.jpg

I love minimates, still have a lot to open and a lot more to collect, also got the zomebies hanging around somewhere.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Here's my newest custom, Harley Quinn from Arkham Asylum

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Except for the jaundice titties its looking good.

Pleatherface posted:

I have some of the Ghostbusters and Terminator 2 sets and they're awesome.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Pleatherface posted:

Minimates are awesome and have only been getting better as time goes on; the Marvel ones are easily the best "figure" scale of Marvel stuff coming out anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sanschel posted:

Minimates are awesome and have only been getting better as time goes on; the Marvel ones are easily the best "figure" scale of Marvel stuff coming out anymore.

Sadly that is very true. They even finally got the price right on them as well, since last time I was in the CBS I saw a 4 pack for 12.99, which is just about right for me.

I think most of the Minimates success is that they give people the figures people want in a timely fashion. Hell they have even got really good at getting figures tied into a event out before the event has ended lately. Hasbro can't seem to get with that program on any scale and seems like it would make very good business sense since the market buying your figures has to have some sort of large crossover with those buying the figures.