Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fire Storm posted:

Is it so bad that I want to see them do an autopsy?
It would be the first autopsy in history conducted with ladles and spoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
2 hour finale of Storm Chasers tonight!

On another note, where the gently caress did this Smithsonian Channel come from? I found it near my Science Channel today and I am pretty sure that it didn't replace anything. I've been watching this show about St. Nicholas, and it seems commercial free?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I caught a little bit of Storm Chasers today due to the marathon and was struck by just how bizarre the concept of the show was.

Its a TV crew filming guys, filming storms. What's next, Storm Chasers Chasers?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I caught a little bit of Storm Chasers today due to the marathon and was struck by just how bizarre the concept of the show was.

Its a TV crew filming guys, filming storms. What's next, Storm Chasers Chasers?

Well it had much more humble beginnings. The original concept focused on scientists trying to drop pods into a twister while the TIV tried to intercept one. This season has pretty much been the Reed show where most of the episode is Discovery cameras filming Reed and co. filming twisters.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Reed survived :sigh: well, there's always next season

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

ToastyPotato posted:

Well it had much more humble beginnings. The original concept focused on scientists trying to drop pods into a twister while the TIV tried to intercept one. This season has pretty much been the Reed show where most of the episode is Discovery cameras filming Reed and co. filming twisters.

And now that Sean got his shot I have a feeling that next season (if there is one) will pretty much just be the Reed Timmer Show.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Tyshalob posted:

And now that Sean got his shot I have a feeling that next season (if there is one) will pretty much just be the Reed Timmer Show.
How much you want to bet that Sean hosed something up with his camera and his footage is mostly/completely useless?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

nmfree posted:

How much you want to bet that Sean hosed something up with his camera and his footage is mostly/completely useless?

It's possible. The tornado made a real effort at pulling that IMAX camera and the turret out, but I had heard that he actually got the shot before the episode even aired. Not much more than a rumor among the chaser community and all that, but what scuttlebutt I had heard before the episode aired turned out true. I hope he got it because I really want to see all that footage he has compiled over the years up on the big-rear end screen.

Oh and all that data that Reed collected with his probes and radar. I generally don't care about the hard science behind it all, but I really want to see it all published. He really did achieve something pretty significant for the science of tornado study.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I gave up on Mythbusters a while back, but the dive suit failure one is on right now and god drat this is amazing. Why can't the show be this good all the time :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't know. :smith: Maybe this is a turn in quality?

There is some new crap on my tv guide after Mythbusters about making a real dragon or something, using SCIENCE! Monster Tracker. I'll DVR it but I am skeptical as hell. 10pm shows on this Discovery have been not so good lately.

On another note. Does anyone know if Monster Quest is coming back? It is such a guilty pleasure for me!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Smuggling maple syrup :laugh:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That prison break was disappointing :( A small part of the door gave out and that was it. I wanted some sort of destruction!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Overbite posted:

That prison break was disappointing :( A small part of the door gave out and that was it. I wanted some sort of destruction!

Seriously, I wanted them to build a second cell without a door at all, just six solid cinder block sides and a tube to toss water into a plastic enclosure of antacid and then have one of the walls bust out like when they recreated the safe explosion from The Score.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering what they're going to do with that prison cell since its pretty solidly constructed. You can't just knock it down with some sledgehammers.

meldroc
Feb 16, 2005
Waster of Electrons

Fire Storm posted:

Is it so bad that I want to see them do an autopsy?

What tools would they use for Meatman's autopsy? An ice cream scoop?

The deep sea squeeze myth and Meatman are serious high-octane nightmare fuel!!! :cry:

meldroc fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 3, 2009

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

ToastyPotato posted:

I read this as "the TVIV tried to intercept one." That would be the best show ever produced. A bunch of goons screaming about how the rain is getting them wet.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Capn Beeb posted:

I gave up on Mythbusters a while back, but the dive suit failure one is on right now and god drat this is amazing. Why can't the show be this good all the time :(

Because Kari is always on it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Clamknuckle posted:

I read this as "the TVIV tried to intercept one." That would be the best show ever produced. A bunch of goons screaming about how the rain is getting them wet.

I'm reminded of that soft drink commercial with people being sucked into those glowing fly traps, with the one fat guy on the couch helpless screaming "wehhhhhhh" as he hurdles toward it.

So Monster Tracker is kind of a waste of time. The host, who sounds like a damned parody of Michael Dorn(?), is cheesy as gently caress. He kind of reminds me of the host for Popular Science: The Future of, except 150 pounds heavier and with a voice deeper than a didgeridoo. Also more corny.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Avarcirwen posted:

Because Kari is always on it?

I'll take Kari over the squeaky wheel they replaced her with! I will be happier when Myth-Momma returns I tell you what.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Bah. Monster Tracker was a disappointment. Comcast's summary made it sound like they were actually going to build a huge-rear end fire breathing dragon, to which I was like "gently caress yes!". And then we just get a lovely CGI in the last 10 seconds.

Also what the gently caress was with that dude's voice? Christ.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

haveblue posted:

Smuggling maple syrup :laugh:

That was really stupid of them, I mean come on, it's not like nobody knows people smuggle illegal stuff.

Not to mention the whole premise for that myth is idiotic. You don't smuggle things by doing something that screams arrest me, like charging a boarder with your lights off in the middle of the night.

You wait until just before lunch time when people are hungry and looking forward to going on break, then you come up looking innocent and hope they don't pay close attention. It helps to have some kind of really good smelling food in the car as well, pizza works, or anything with onion and garlic. Now that's how you smuggle.

And am I the only one who really likes new-kari?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jessie is fine, but her diction is overly theatrical most of the time.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

ToastyPotato posted:

Jessie is fine, but her diction is overly theatrical most of the time.

The problem is that she didn't grow into the hamminess like Grant, Tory, and Kari. She came in while everyone's at their height of "let's mug to the camera and woop like howler monkeys every time anything happens ever" and so she feels like she has to keep up. She's doing okay but she's forced into the manic excitement everyone has - I get the feeling she's quieter than that and I wish she'd show it.

Still though, she's not bad and seems to know what she's doing with building stuff.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's definitely a far cry from being around the droning muses of her Xtreme 4x4 counterparts. She's been working with them for years and those guys are always so serious. She probably just really enjoyed being in a more carefree, scientific environment for once. Hell of a fabricator, too...probably the best of the bunch.

Kari was fine when she was new but now I find her gratingly annoying. She was just a temp that was lucky enough to get her rear end scanned for a myth and now she has this perpetual starlet attitude about her. Tori and Grant are enough; she's superfluous.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

It's definitely a far cry from being around the droning muses of her Xtreme 4x4 counterparts. She's been working with them for years and those guys are always so serious. She probably just really enjoyed being in a more carefree, scientific environment for once. Hell of a fabricator, too...probably the best of the bunch.
I used to watch her occasionally on Xtreme 4x4; she sounds so stilted because all the people on those shows have to spend so much time reciting sales pitches written by the PR departments of manufacturers who give them free parts. She's definitely got the chops to keep up with everyone else on Mythbusters, though, and she's easy on the eyes, too.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Karthillion posted:

It helps to have some kind of really good smelling food in the car as well, pizza works, or anything with onion and garlic. Now that's how you smuggle.

Every since Forrest Hawkley went off the grid I haven't been able to update my copy of The Smugglers Bible...

This is the same show that had Grant blather a disclaimer discouraging would-be thieves against using nitrogen to crack locks. Monster Tracker should be a ScyFy show. Planet Earth is two years old - but they still play it non-stop on Mondays. ...and then there's Ghost Lab...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Professor Kaku's new show on Science Channel is ok I guess. It's about how he would tackle sci-fi ideas using real science. But it is such a short show, and there is a lot of over lap with previous shows he's already been on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Philip J Fry posted:

Kari was fine when she was new but now I find her gratingly annoying. She was just a temp that was lucky enough to get her rear end scanned for a myth and now she has this perpetual starlet attitude about her. Tori and Grant are enough; she's superfluous.

Scotti Chapman, who could weld and fix just about anything mechanical, was miles better than Kari. Hell, she was 90% of the reason why the "Build Team" got its name.

Plus, she could absolutely rock short shorts.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Philip J Fry posted:

That's a little harsh. She has an art degree with is as plausible an entry into the special effects field as an electrical engineering (Grant) or film degree (Tori). She's also about four to six years younger than Grant, Tori, and Adam; which would have put her at just finishing college when the other three were working on the Star Wars films at ILM in the mid to late 90s. Oddly enough all three build team members have more relevant formal education then Adam or Jamie.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!
Could someone with the necessary tools create a GIF of Adam's face after Jamie hit his target pistol with the bat, the high-speed footage was clearly designed for this :awesome:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tzar posted:

Could someone with the necessary tools create a GIF of Adam's face after Jamie hit his target pistol with the bat, the high-speed footage was clearly designed for this :awesome:

I also noticed this part, definitely one of their best slomo shots ever. Apart from the explosions obviously:

Bonus:

The new chick isn't too bad, but it looks like she can't decide how bit it actually was:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I also noticed this part, definitely one of their best slomo shots ever. Apart from the explosions obviously:

A few weeks ago he posted a picture of his smashed-up finger on Twitter. I bet this is where it was from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Adam and Jamie part of that episode just kind of petered out. I mean, it was an interesting myth but there just wasn't that much to it.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Myth confirmed!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I never thought Gary Busey in drag could be topped.

Tori in drag was terrifying.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BrainMeats posted:

Myth confirmed!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks his hair looks awful. I mean, Adam's had his fair share of bad haircuts throughout the course of the show, but I think this is by far the worst. Unless I've blocked one of them out for being too terrible.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

A few weeks ago he posted a picture of his smashed-up finger on Twitter. I bet this is where it was from.
The way his finger was trapped inside the trigger guard and torqued I honestly thought he broke it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

feedmyleg posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks his hair looks awful. I mean, Adam's had his fair share of bad haircuts throughout the course of the show, but I think this is by far the worst. Unless I've blocked one of them out for being too terrible.

It's the last gasp of a man who knows he's going bald but isn't yet ready to face up to the fact.

I know because that was me ten years ago. With the exact same hairstyle. And many different hats - which you may have noticed Adam has also started sporting at every opportunity.

Yet, weirdly, Adam has shaved his head before on the show. I don't know why he's getting all sensitive about it know.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 11, 2009

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's the last gasp of a man who knows he's going bald but isn't yet ready to face up to the fact.

Alton Brown went through the same thing, exact same hair style too, but he's finally admitted it and his hair looks MUCH better now that he's keeping it shorter even if he is balding.

I'm really sick of the build team being nothing but "We saw this in a movie once is it possible!?" when 99% of the time the answer is "No and you're dumb for thinking it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Gorilla Salad posted:

This makes me unreasonably sad. Poor Adam is losing his hair.

• Locked thread