Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I have the Haynes manual if you're interested; just pay for shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Seeing as I may go pick this up this weekend, I figure it was worth annoying you guys one more time for.

http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/f710ccdf0a0a0064003fa87a07fa1651.htm?useHistory=true

CarFax shows clean, price seems to be right. Any objections, concerns, questions worth asking before I drive 2 hours each way, this weekend?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

WildFoxMedia posted:

Seeing as I may go pick this up this weekend, I figure it was worth annoying you guys one more time for.

http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/f710ccdf0a0a0064003fa87a07fa1651.htm?useHistory=true

CarFax shows clean, price seems to be right. Any objections, concerns, questions worth asking before I drive 2 hours each way, this weekend?

From the pics it looks perfect. Factory tow package is a nice plus if you have a trailer. Those things are much better than the cheap aftermarket ones - mine is rusty as hell. Plus the wiring hangs out of the rear door. The 4.7 ain't a monster but you'll probably like it.

Find out if the rear diff has been replaced - the more complicated Jeep 4wd systems from that era seem to eat rear ends - some in as few as 3000-4000 miles. Not sure exactly which models that was. My brother has an 06 I think and had his done with low miles. Usually it's under warranty.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Philip J Fry posted:

I have the Haynes manual if you're interested; just pay for shipping.

I might just take you on that! Is it that same '87-'95 Wrangler manual? Where do you live? Let's PM/AIM this mother!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Very clean WJ. Definitely go for it.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
My OEM battery died, replaced it with a red top optima. But what I want to know is how did the radio forget the time but keep all the station presets?

Magic?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

My OEM battery died, replaced it with a red top optima. But what I want to know is how did the radio forget the time but keep all the station presets?

Magic?

SRAM. :) or EEPROM... RTC requires continuous current. :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Magic?

Same way it reset your average mileage but remembered your service reminder.

(yes, magic)

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I *LOVE* magic!

I've read to not hook up amps/winches to the side terminals. What CAN you hook to them?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I *LOVE* magic!

I've read to not hook up amps/winches to the side terminals. What CAN you hook to them?

Jumper cables

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have a link/info on that turbodiesel swap that someone in AI was doing? Did that ever get finished?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
Am I missing something here? The price for this Wrangler seems pretty low.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/1496407818.html

Edit: The Carfax available for free on the dealer's site reported 117k miles about two and a half years ago. Urgh.

upsciLLion fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 6, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Most 2000 Sports are around the 10k range but that's a killer deal for the mileage.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
A member of the Volvo army chiming in here.

I'm passively looking for Grand Wagoneer as a winter warrior. Anything I should know to look for?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
FSJ or ZJ?

If FSJ, besides typical older vehicle stuff:
-Rust, rust, rust. Rear quarters, floors, rockers, bottoms of doors, frame
-Look out for blow-by from under the oil cap
-83 and 84 Selectrac models have vacuum disconnect front axles, very crappy
-86 Selectrac doesn't have a limited slip center diff in fulltime mode (all other fulltime transfer cases should)
-All(?) Grand Wagoneers with fulltime transfer cases use a viscous coupling that may explode from underuse. Make sure it has been engaged occasionally if so equipped.
-No serpentine belts
-Carburetors
-No overdrive, but many later ones have 3.07 gears. Real dogs

And for additionally for Wagoneers (79 and earlier):
-Fulltime transfer cases have a chaindrive that are wear items, and will explode from neglect.
-Some fulltime cases do not have a low range. Check under the seat for the lever.
-Fulltime cases use vacuum to lock the center diff, which kinds stinks but not as bad as vacuum disconnect front axles
-Some have drums all around, stops like a duck on a frozen lake
-Get a 401

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 6, 2009

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When my gas tank is full and the XJ rocks back and forth at all, it seriously sounds like there are ice cubes or something rolling around in my tank. WTF? Is this normal? Maybe some kind of... floaty thing...that's supposed to be in there?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

How hard is it to get the front shocks off a 99 WJ? I put the new rear shocks on today (and fixed the drat fuel pump ring ... again :argh:) and it was dead easy.

The front ones though, or at least the driver's side one, looks to be under all sorts of ... stuff. I hope I don't have to take all that apart to get at it. It looks like I could just put a long extension down to it, but aren't you supposed to hold the top of the post with an open-ended wrench? I have no idea how I'm going to get a box wrench on that fucker. :sigh:

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm thinking on doing a LED conversion on my taillights for my YJ '90 4.2L Sahara. I know Quadratec sells a pair for $155 but that's just too expensive. Dealextreme sells LED lightbulbs but they appear to be same as bulbs but in LED format. Are there any guides out there to doing this? I know this is probably too stupid/unnecessary but I like the look of LEDS on tail-lights (I might do it on the signal lights on the front later on). The main problem I'm looking is to basically how do I hook it up and what is done with the voltage/power differences? I'd be able to do it from scratch, just need to know how haha, this guy made it on his civic but I'm unsure on how this would go for a wrangler as old as mine.

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 6, 2009

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

powderific posted:

When my gas tank is full and the XJ rocks back and forth at all, it seriously sounds like there are ice cubes or something rolling around in my tank. WTF? Is this normal? Maybe some kind of... floaty thing...that's supposed to be in there?

Does your gage work? Could be the sending unit float wandering around.

New Jeep in the family:

1987 Cherokee, 172k miles, 4 door, 6 cyl auto. Its not something I would normally had gone looking for but the price was right, free! A guy at work just didn't want it anymore.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
^^^^^^^^^^^

That is awesome. Free Jeeps are the best Jeeps.

Hows it run?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gage works fine, maybe it's just loose enough to tap against the side but not enough to stop working.

That's a really nice looking XJ for the price.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm thinking on doing a LED conversion on my taillights for my YJ '90 4.2L Sahara. I know Quadratec sells a pair for $155 but that's just too expensive. Dealextreme sells LED lightbulbs but they appear to be same as bulbs but in LED format. Are there any guides out there to doing this? I know this is probably too stupid/unnecessary but I like the look of LEDS on tail-lights (I might do it on the signal lights on the front later on). The main problem I'm looking is to basically how do I hook it up and what is done with the voltage/power differences? I'd be able to do it from scratch, just need to know how haha, this guy made it on his civic but I'm unsure on how this would go for a wrangler as old as mine.

The LED Bulbs can be a crapshoot. It depends if anything depends on the voltage draw for input. Such as Cruise control deactivation, traction control and other options. I've seen a few LED setups requiring resisters soldered into the harness and new flasher relays.

I've seen the LED bulbs cause a few grounding issues, and other weirdness such as dim LED's staying on when the vehicle is off, or having one or two LED's on the assembly staying full on lit.

If you can swing it, I'd go with the an OEM replacement solution rather than going the LED bulb route.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

BigKOfJustice posted:

The LED Bulbs can be a crapshoot. It depends if anything depends on the voltage draw for input. Such as Cruise control deactivation, traction control and other options. I've seen a few LED setups requiring resisters soldered into the harness and new flasher relays.

I've seen the LED bulbs cause a few grounding issues, and other weirdness such as dim LED's staying on when the vehicle is off, or having one or two LED's on the assembly staying full on lit.

If you can swing it, I'd go with the an OEM replacement solution rather than going the LED bulb route.

Yeah ledbulbs definitely look crappy, however I'm still thinking on going the DIY circuit board way as that guy did. I'll swing by radioshack one of this days and see if I can do something like that, the other day I saw a '92 YJ with the quadratec leds and it looked awesome.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Snow has informed me that I want a Jeep. I really like the XJ Cherokees, and I don't mind the ZJ Grand Cherokees. Anything I should pay close attention to when looking at prospective vehicles?

I want a manual, but apparently the ZJ is pretty much impossible to find, especially mated to the 5.2L. :(

E: Apparently no such beast was made. So if I want a manual I have to get an I6. Question stands though.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 10, 2009

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
So mine broke down, transmission and clutch both went. I've got the new clutch in, but my fancy rebuilt tranny that I was supposed to put in on Thanksgiving didn't end up being ready until last Friday (3 weeks late.) So it's just laying on the floor of my garage. On top of all that, the assholes who did it managed to smear sealant all over the loving thing, and it just looks like a sloppy job. It'd better work right, or so help me God.

Goddamnit, I miss my Jeep. I really miss my Jeep.

cory ad portas fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 10, 2009

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

upsciLLion posted:

Am I missing something here? The price for this Wrangler seems pretty low.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/1496407818.html

Edit: The Carfax available for free on the dealer's site reported 117k miles about two and a half years ago. Urgh.

Ask them where the hardtop went, because the Jeep is wired for one - the switches for the top wiper and defrost are there in the console. As far as I know they didn't get the top wiring unless they were going to be sold with the top.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

Snow has informed me that I want a Jeep. I really like the XJ Cherokees, and I don't mind the ZJ Grand Cherokees. Anything I should pay close attention to when looking at prospective vehicles?

I want a manual, but apparently the ZJ is pretty much impossible to find, especially mated to the 5.2L. :(

E: Apparently no such beast was made. So if I want a manual I have to get an I6. Question stands though.

I just bought a 98 XJ with the I6 and I love it. Things people told me to look for: the rear main seal tends to leak, rust on the unibody is pretty common, 97 to 99 are the best years, certain very early models had a really crappy transmission (I don't think it's real common though). More knowledgeable people than me can probably chime in with better info.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

powderific posted:

I just bought a 98 XJ with the I6 and I love it. Things people told me to look for: the rear main seal tends to leak, rust on the unibody is pretty common, 97 to 99 are the best years, certain very early models had a really crappy transmission (I don't think it's real common though). More knowledgeable people than me can probably chime in with better info.

Is it possible to get a manual '98/'99 XJ? I've always dreamed of having such car but I can't find it. Currently being satisfied by a '90 4.2L YJ and this thing's destroying my wallet, so I'm just wondering for the future.

Speaking of, how would a swtich to 4.0L go? The 4.2 has great low RPM torque, but it's just shy of 112hp and it's even more gas-oholic than it's 4.0 brethren. I'd definitely benefit from ~180hp and a little less consume of gas. What I'm asking mostly is would a switch in transmission be necessary? This one's a manual 5-speed, so I'm not sure if I'd actually have to go with that. Also with being fueled by a Weber carburetor, should I look into adapting the fuel injection from whatever XJ I can take the motor off? Thanks!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
They're all the same bellhousing bolt pattern. You can also grab a head and all of the EFI gear from any 4.0 and put it right onto the 4.2. That can turn into a big swap though, and at that point you might as well get an entire 4.0, harness, and everything else that comes with it. Even if you just put on the 4.0 head and put a carb on it, it's a huge improvement in airflow.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Manual XJ's are out there but seem to be more elusive in some areas.

You could always do a 4.0 head swap onto your 4.2, bumping the HP up to around 150~155 and increasing your fuel economy around 15%. Or even better, get a 4.0, swap in your 4.2 crankshaft and connecting rods and turn the 242 into a 4.5L stroker. :black101:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys is anyone looking for a parts car or a project? I've got an ad in SA-Mart I've posted other pictures of it in this thread previously if anyone wants to dig them up for a closer view as the picture in that thread is pretty small. It's a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE V8.

SA-Mart posted:

I'm trying to sell my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm in the Seattle, Washington area, but the car is currently in the Fort Lewis area. This vehicle is not running, the transmission died completely and I just can't afford to fix it. The car has aprox 160,000 miles. Recently I've put in a new alternator, new starter, new breaks and had some work done on the differential. Besides the transmission there is a pressurized line for the power steering fluid that needs to be replaced because its spraying fluid everywhere, there's also some cosmetic damage in the rear hatch a large dent and rear bumper as well as the driver's side door the black side paneling was torn off. This car is currently un-drivable and doesn't go into gear at all so would need to be towed, I'm hoping to get $800 for parts or to some lucky mechanic that wants to fix her up. Small picture, but I'll update later with bigger ones if I can find them.

This kind of has to go fast as I'm going to be contacting junk yards and such as its currently about 30 miles from my house and I don't care to tow it that far.

This vehicle has never been in a major accident and has had only two owners.

Please e-mail OlyBenjamin@gmail.com with any questions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Reason posted:

Hey guys is anyone looking for a parts car or a project? I've got an ad in SA-Mart I've posted other pictures of it in this thread previously if anyone wants to dig them up for a closer view as the picture in that thread is pretty small. It's a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE V8.

Could try this thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2400145

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

incredibull posted:

They're all the same bellhousing bolt pattern. You can also grab a head and all of the EFI gear from any 4.0 and put it right onto the 4.2. That can turn into a big swap though, and at that point you might as well get an entire 4.0, harness, and everything else that comes with it. Even if you just put on the 4.0 head and put a carb on it, it's a huge improvement in airflow.

This actually sounds really good. I have access to a beat up and unused '88 XJ which I was hesitant on grabbing the motor from. It's been there for the long part of 5 years. Would that be ok? Also, by head what do you mean? Valves etc? What parts? Am I asking too much? Is your mother so fat I'd actually give my tow package some use?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Calling all XJ guys.

I'm having a problem with water getting into my 91 Cherokee. Recently after a heavy rain I'll find a puddle of water in the driver's side floorboard. Are there any common problems I should look for? I can't see where it is coming from. Everything but the floor is dry. It mostly seems to happen when it's parked.

Any ideas?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Steiler Drep posted:

This actually sounds really good. I have access to a beat up and unused '88 XJ which I was hesitant on grabbing the motor from. It's been there for the long part of 5 years. Would that be ok? Also, by head what do you mean? Valves etc? What parts? Am I asking too much? Is your mother so fat I'd actually give my tow package some use?

I mean the entire cylinder head and everything attached to it, and no my mommy ain't fat.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Stormangel posted:

Calling all XJ guys.

I'm having a problem with water getting into my 91 Cherokee. Recently after a heavy rain I'll find a puddle of water in the driver's side floorboard. Are there any common problems I should look for? I can't see where it is coming from. Everything but the floor is dry. It mostly seems to happen when it's parked.

Any ideas?

Rough guess - heater box or something in your vent system is leaking. Air comes in from right in front of the windshield on the drivers side (between the hood and the windshield) going straight down to the heater box area. Try pouring water into it and seeing if it comes out on your floor.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

It's almost always a clogged cowl drain (easy fix) but the windshield seal is likely as well.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

incredibull posted:

I mean the entire cylinder head and everything attached to it, and no my mommy ain't fat.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=277013

That seems like a really awesome guide, so I guess I'll begin searching for 4.0L heads if I can. The site provided there is dead so I'll look for other sources. 17-18% increase in fuel economy and 40hp+ gain is absolutely awesome for the little amount of work this actually is! Just a question though, would I still retain that incredible 210@2000 torque or would it be the high number on the 4.0L? And will a RPM meter replacement be necessary or will the red line keep the same? (I'm really new to changing engines and just engines themselves, this will all be done by my mechanic in the end most probably but I'm just curious).

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Steiler Drep posted:

Is it possible to get a manual '98/'99 XJ? I've always dreamed of having such car but I can't find it. Currently being satisfied by a '90 4.2L YJ and this thing's destroying my wallet, so I'm just wondering for the future.

From what I am told, RHD XJs are actually more common in the states than Manuals, but they are out there.

Thanks for the advice, powderific. I'd love to get the '98 ridiculous overkill 5.9L, but I really can't afford to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Not enough Jeeps on this page.

1983 CJ8 Scrambler