Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eeek posted:

Are you saying if effectively goes to 1600? Because it does go to 3200.

3200 looks like doo-doo on the 40D unless you're shooting in black and white. I'd rather use a flash than 3200 if it's allowed. From what I've seen of the 7D samples online, 3200 on the 7D looks like 1600 on the 40D, which is pretty cool in my books. The 7D is definitely the camera I'm saving up for right now, which means it should be mine around, oh, 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eeek posted:

Are you saying if effectively goes to 1600? Because it does go to 3200.
Pretty sure it doesn't do hardware 3200. It's probably got extended range via a custom function, which will probably look like doo-doo indeed.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

It is a custom function, C.Fn I-3 1:on and quite frankly, it's not as horrible as either of you are making out. Noise Nijna will usually take out most of the noise if you are pushed to use it, unless you are making 20x30 blow ups, it's not going to kill you. And again, most of the time your shooting if you use it it will blow it out. But if you are in a small club, low light, no flash, then it's not going to ruin your night. Thrown in some good glass, then you don't have a ton to worry about.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
3200 is okay if it's a somewhat okay lit scene, but if it's a lower contrast scene, it's going to be a riot of noise. It wouldn't be so bad if it were random smooth noise, but it's that annoying patterned noise.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm doing a promo shoot this weekend for the local band Semester Abroad (http://www.myspace.com/semesterabroadma) on the roof of one of their friends apartments in Boston. It will be early in the evening (5is) so it will be pretty dark outside but I'll have ambient from the city. They want them in front of the city on the roof.

Thankfully I have a 430EX and a Westcott Apollo Softbox so with any luck lighting shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Focusing might so I think I will bring along some work lights to light them so I can focus (or somebody with a flashlight). I'm pretty nervous, I haven't really done any promo shoots before (mostly live stuff) and they (and me of course) really want these to come out great.

I'll post some results after the shoot.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pr0digal posted:

Thankfully I have a 430EX and a Westcott Apollo Softbox so with any luck lighting shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Focusing might so I think I will bring along some work lights to light them so I can focus (or somebody with a flashlight). I'm pretty nervous, I haven't really done any promo shoots before (mostly live stuff) and they (and me of course) really want these to come out great.

If you're using the 430EX on the hot shoe focusing shouldn't be a problem with the AF assist. Otherwise, if the light is really low, stick to your fast primes. The wider the max aperture on a lens, the better it autofocuses. You don't need that much light to focus, it's more about the camera having something to focus on. If you have your AF set to the back button, you can just mash that button until you get focus then shoot.

Another thing you can do is go to the local camera shop and pick up an old Canon flash like a 200E or something. Disable flash firing in the menu and you should be able to use just the AF assist on the flash. Hook the radio trigger up to the PC port on the side of the camera. Tape the trigger to the camera strap so it's not dangling around.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

rockcity posted:

Nice, enjoy, Drangonforce is a blast to shoot.

You weren't loving wrong. They were a bitch to keep up with. Also, TOO MUCH loving SMOKE.

I couldn't focus at all because it was wafting around everywhere.

I'll try and post some in a few days time if I get a chance.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

thehustler posted:

You weren't loving wrong. They were a bitch to keep up with. Also, TOO MUCH loving SMOKE.

Just a note... IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN... If you know a certain band like this likes to use way too loving much smoke, see if you can get permission to backlight the stage with remote flashes/strobes. You don't need much power, but if you light stage left/stage right/back of drummer (For those of you following at home, that's $700) you can do some magic. Again, this is only worth it if you know ahead of time you need to. Otherwise your flashes are, and your time is, better served blinding that fucker from returntothepit.com who never fails but to get into my field of view.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thehustler posted:

Yeah, they all run around like their pants are on fire, it's crazy. They didn't have too much smoke when I've shot them though, that would definitely make it even harder.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got the promo shoot done. There were a few shots that the band liked after I sent them some quick edits. The one they liked the most is below. It's a quick edit on an uncalibrated monitor so I still have work to do on it (such as switching my monitor over to sRGB and doing the final edit). I also need to work on the guy on the right.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What was the lighting setup for that shot?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well, here are my Dragonforce photos. They were a bitch to process. I am not good at processing. I would appreciate any help and guidance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622912039922/show/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

Looks like one light camera left. Probably through a softbox.

thehustler posted:

Well, here are my Dragonforce photos. They were a bitch to process. I am not good at processing. I would appreciate any help and guidance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622912039922/show/

Not bad, the shots are pretty decent, and that close up of the keyboard player is money. The processing could definitely use some work. Did you desaturate a lot of them? At times it's making them look sickly. Also I find with bands that have a really lively image desaturating in general seems to feel off, at times I up the saturation. If you shot raw you also may want to toy around with your white balance a bit to see what looks natural. The other thing I'd recommend is when you get those bright orange lights, watch out for that muddled skin blowout look. You can combat that a bit by dropping the vibrance in your raw editor. Try messing with your black levels and contrast too, some of the shots are a bit flat.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 1, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

psylent posted:

rockcity got it right, it was a single light setup. A 430EX in a softbox camera left at full power probably about 10 feet away from the band. They were up on a little hill and I was below them shooting slightly up. It was a tough shoot as the lead (the dude in the middle) pretty much refused to lighten up and act anything but serious and was over critical of every single little loving thing. This is literally the second promo shoot I've done and while not amazing it's not bad either. I was also shooting in the North End in Boston so there were a poo poo ton of people/cars/cops/etc

*edit for EXIF Data*
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

I metered for the background (they wanted Boston behind them)

*edit v2: another (bit more goofy) one

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 1, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on all the people at concerts with P&S cameras:

http://ishootshows.com/2009/07/28/preview-incubus/

Wouldn't it be funny if you had a buddy in the crowd with a flash taped to a P&S and a radio trigger receiver up their sleeve?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Okay, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on all the people at concerts with P&S cameras:

http://ishootshows.com/2009/07/28/preview-incubus/

Wouldn't it be funny if you had a buddy in the crowd with a flash taped to a P&S and a radio trigger receiver up their sleeve?

I've actually done the catch flash thing before. I've also shot at a super slow speed to catch the bands strobes like a flash too. It's hard to do and most of the time a waste, but you can get some decent shots here and there. That being said, that photo of Todd's sucks aside from the fact that he caught someone's flash.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Eeek posted:

It is a custom function, C.Fn I-3 1:on and quite frankly, it's not as horrible as either of you are making out. Noise Nijna will usually take out most of the noise if you are pushed to use it, unless you are making 20x30 blow ups, it's not going to kill you.

It's pretty horrible IMO, but I haven't tried with Noise Ninja. I'll get some samples when I use my 50mm 1.8f and see how it goes. But being in Melbourne may mean I will be a while.
But honestly, how much noise you get is pretty personal esp. as an amateur (which I so am), because it's really only yourself and friends who are going to appreciate it. I just find that after 1600 it just gets... really distracting.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

pr0digal posted:

rockcity got it right,
Thanks for this, I upgraded to the 7D/580ex about a month ago and I'm trying to get my mind around using the flash off camera like this. I've got an umbrella, but it looks like I'll need a softbox too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

Thanks for this, I upgraded to the 7D/580ex about a month ago and I'm trying to get my mind around using the flash off camera like this. I've got an umbrella, but it looks like I'll need a softbox too.

Flash softboxes are cheap. I highly recommend getting a whole bunch of flash modifiers. Lumiquest makes a ton of them and they're all pretty cheap. I have their softbox and 80-20 bounce kit and they're both great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Make some snoots out of coroplast too, itīs tons of fun to throw wee spots of light right where you want them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

rockcity posted:

Looks like one light camera left. Probably through a softbox.

Not bad, the shots are pretty decent, and that close up of the keyboard player is money. The processing could definitely use some work. Did you desaturate a lot of them? At times it's making them look sickly. Also I find with bands that have a really lively image desaturating in general seems to feel off, at times I up the saturation. If you shot raw you also may want to toy around with your white balance a bit to see what looks natural. The other thing I'd recommend is when you get those bright orange lights, watch out for that muddled skin blowout look. You can combat that a bit by dropping the vibrance in your raw editor. Try messing with your black levels and contrast too, some of the shots are a bit flat.

I brought down the saturation in a lot of them because the red lighting was too over the top. I was sick of everyone having orange skin.

On another note, the paper for the university has asked if they can use 1 or 2 of my shots of The Magic Numbers. Nothing in it, of course, but it'll be cool to see something of mine in print for the first time ever. I'm going to be a complete human being and keep a cutting.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I am shooting Steve Aoki at a concert tonight.

I have never, ever done live bands/musicians other than DJs before. Any quick advice? I have a Sigma 30mm 1.4, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8, and my diffused 430 EX II.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well the standard advice is that you probably wont be able to use your flash, you'll probably only get a few songs, and that you need as fast a lens as you can get away with. Is that 17-50 a constant 2.8? If so you're pretty much sorted.

Whack your camera into shutter priority, use as fast as you can get away with, and just shoot away. Is the act a very mobile act? If not, then you can increase the shutter speed and get the benefit of a bit more light going in.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Start the show with your Sigma 30 since it's your fastest lens and you'll need your basic shots in hand before you can get more experimental. Plus the lights are usually lower earlier on too. If you get three songs, shoot the first song with the 30mm, the second with the 17-50 for the wider and narrower shots, then you've got the third song to do whatever.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

dunkman posted:

I am shooting Steve Aoki at a concert tonight.

I have never, ever done live bands/musicians other than DJs before. Any quick advice? I have a Sigma 30mm 1.4, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8, and my diffused 430 EX II.

Last time I checked Steve Aoki was a DJ...

Use his laptop for light and be careful some 18 year-old in sunglasses and torn leggings doesn't spill a vodka-based cocktail on you.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

dunno posted:

Last time I checked Steve Aoki was a DJ...

Use his laptop for light and be careful some 18 year-old in sunglasses and torn leggings doesn't spill a vodka-based cocktail on you.

And here I was thinking he was a band of some kind.

wikki wikki wack

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

dunkman posted:

And here I was thinking he was a band of some kind.

wikki wikki wack

The first youtube results after searching 'Steve Aoki': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNZofg1Pos

So think normal Ghostbar wednesday night x 1000.

Have fun!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

dreggory posted:

The first youtube results after searching 'Steve Aoki': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNZofg1Pos

So think normal Ghostbar wednesday night x 1000.

Have fun!

Well that was exciting. First time I've been up on the stage, the "official" photographer kept trying to get people off of the little raised stage, but then he fell off into the crowd so more people kept taking pics.

There were several other photographers there, and it was fun. There was no song limit and he played a 2 hour set, so I took a bunch of pictures, wandered around, then came back for more pictures. I'd say I took about 200 of Steve and maybe 6-10 are any good. I have lots of good pictures with a giant camera lens and flash on the other side of him.

I'll post some later once I edit them. Also, I never shot a whole bunch of raw before. 8gb goes REALLY quickly.

Edit: Also Billy Zane and Audrina from the Hills was there.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 3, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
You should listen to your friend Billy Zane... he's a cool dude.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

psylent posted:

You should listen to your friend Billy Zane... he's a cool dude.

There was a walk off.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
oh god be gentle:

http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Music/Steve-Aoki-at-GhostBar

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

What gear are you using?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

No. 9 posted:

What gear are you using?

Canon T1i
Canon 430 EX II ($20 Stofen Diffuser on it since my Lumiquest 80/20 broke)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC (although the girl with the camera was using it for half the show).

edit: you can hit Photo Info on all the pictures to get my settings. I'd like to point out I have no idea what I'm doing.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dunkman posted:

Canon T1i
Canon 430 EX II ($20 Stofen Diffuser on it since my Lumiquest 80/20 broke)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC (although the girl with the camera was using it for half the show).

edit: you can hit Photo Info on all the pictures to get my settings. I'd like to point out I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks, yeah I saw the photo info but was curious on what lens(es) you had in your arsenal.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

No. 9 posted:

Thanks, yeah I saw the photo info but was curious on what lens(es) you had in your arsenal.

Here's the flickr dump:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157622806654325/

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I think the ones on your smugmug are really good. not too many of the performer, but for club and atmosphere shots, they work well. are they your friends or random people who posed for you?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think the ones on your smugmug are really good. not too many of the performer, but for club and atmosphere shots, they work well. are they your friends or random people who posed for you?

Thanks! I put the ones I thought were better up on the Smugmug, the other one was just the dump because all my friends are asking me where the pictures are!!!!!

It's about half and half between friends and random people who posed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

If there's one thing I hate it's photographing acoustic shows with no loving lights.

Ian Broudie (ex-Lightning Seeds) and James Walsh (Starsailor) did a joint show tonight at my uni and it was impossible to photograph because they had NO spots at all.

I did manage to go backstage and arrange a photo-op with Walsh and a Christmas tree, though :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thehustler posted:

If there's one thing I hate it's photographing acoustic shows with no loving lights.

Ian Broudie (ex-Lightning Seeds) and James Walsh (Starsailor) did a joint show tonight at my uni and it was impossible to photograph because they had NO spots at all.

If the lights are so dark that I can't get a half-decent photo even with everything cranked, I have zero reservations about busting out the flash. I figure if they don't want me to use a flash, they should have turned the lights up. Unless it's a theatre performance or something light-critical, in which case there's nothing to do but crack open a beer, sit back and chill because there's not a damned thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

HPL posted:

If the lights are so dark that I can't get a half-decent photo even with everything cranked, I have zero reservations about busting out the flash. I figure if they don't want me to use a flash, they should have turned the lights up. Unless it's a theatre performance or something light-critical, in which case there's nothing to do but crack open a beer, sit back and chill because there's not a damned thing you can do.

Well yeah, if I didn't think it'd be rude of course I'd do it. But I have to behave myself because I want to photograph there in the future. I did ask the tour managers and lighting guys ("any chance of pushing the sliders up a bit, I'm dying on my arse here!") and was met with a negative response.