Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ma_NiC posted:

Ooooh, I hate that. I was going to make a shawl that was a modified version of "Mom's Sophisticated Scarf" from Stitch 'N' Bitch Nation (using worsted-weight yarn and size 10 needles), but I really got sick of looking at it and I just can't bring myself to work on it anymore. I went out and bought some super-bulky yarn and some size 13's to make something that will go quicker instead. I have ADD when it comes to knitting/crocheting projects and I have to work on smaller things or else I will either go insane or give up entirely when working on larger projects. I wish I had some hints or tips to give you, but I need them myself. I do seem to do better on larger projects if I work on smaller ones simultaneously. It keeps me from getting too bored.

I think part of the problem is I thought it would be easy and quick to knit because it's on 9mm needles, but it's turned out to just be really heavy and cumbersome. After knitting about 2 rows I get sick of wrestling the thing so give up.

Plus I'm now totally engrossed in this quilt I'm making for a friend, although I'm beginning to get sick of that so I'll just have to start crocheting something to give me a break.

Aah, the circle of craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Any Thanksgiving weekend yarn sales?

I went to JoAnns yesterday and they had a few sales, but their selection was tiny and I wasn't crazy about any of the colors. There is another JoAnns in another town, I might drive up there later today. I wonder if Michaels has any sales.

I want to knit a Jayne hat for my friend George for Christmas, but he has a HUGE head. How do I guess at the size?

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

hollaback grandma posted:

^noice hoodie, I love Brown Sheep Worsted! the model ain't bad, either :wink:

I recently finished a February Fitted Pullover!

It's the lace pattern from the February Lady Sweater, but I think the design is superior :colbert: Yarn is Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool in lime green. It's colors like these that make me glad I'm a redhead.

This is quite nice. How is it constructed?

NumbersAndNoise fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 28, 2009

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My favorite pair of slippers have finally given up. The elastic around the ankle is shot, so one of them won't stay on.

Does this look like an easy thing to knit? (is it even knit? not too sure about the difference between knitting and crocheting) I love the leather bottoms, and the knit insides, makes it comfortable and easy to wear on slick surfaces.

If I were to hire someone to make me another pair (since I bought them 10+ years ago and have never seen any others like it) Where would I look for a knitter, and how could I explain what I need.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

NumbersAndNoise posted:

This is quite nice. How is it constructed?

The body was starts bottom up in the round, then switches to straight knitting for the neckline shaping (left front, right front, and back). The sleeves were knit straight from the bottom up, and separately.

Here's the one in-progress shot I actually took:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm looking to get a 2 colored striped scarf but I'm not sure which colors actually look best because I'm daft when it comes to what looks good and what doesn't. Do any of these patterns look good for a scarf at all?

Scarf 1:

Scarf 2:

Scarf 3:

The person in question enjoys pinks and purples of all sorts and I am terrible at color choices.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

FirstAidKite: I think Scarf 1 looks best.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
I like scarf 2. Scarf 1 is also nice. Scarf 3 is an offense to my eyeballs, but then, I hate Barbie Pink with a passion.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I love watermelon/Barbie pink, but would never combine it with another pink. I say scarf 1.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think scarf 1 is okay, but subdued, and that combination just looks very old-lady to me. Scarf 2 is fug. Scarf 3 is good if she's a 10-year-old girl or just seriously likes pink. It's probably what I'd go with. Are you just doing rugby stripes or what? If so, I always think those look best when it's two shades of the same color, or one color plus a neutral.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I would take the light pink you've used in each scarf and choose a neutral cream for the other stripe. It will make the scarf easier to wear and match with things.

Terrestrial Octopus
Nov 5, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

My favorite pair of slippers have finally given up. The elastic around the ankle is shot, so one of them won't stay on.

Does this look like an easy thing to knit? (is it even knit? not too sure about the difference between knitting and crocheting) I love the leather bottoms, and the knit insides, makes it comfortable and easy to wear on slick surfaces.

If I were to hire someone to make me another pair (since I bought them 10+ years ago and have never seen any others like it) Where would I look for a knitter, and how could I explain what I need.

It'd probably be easier to just get some new elastic to put into the slippers you have. If I'm interpretting the construction right, couldn't you just run a few loops of something like this thru the ring of knitting at the ankle, tie the ends together, and push the knot inside the knit so it doesnt show?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FirstAidKite posted:

Scarf 1:

This one.

Spiffy!
Jul 15, 2007

I, Woodpecker.
Does anyone know how to do tassels like this for a scarf?

looks easy enough but if I tried it I'm sure they would unravel

Spiffy! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 1, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Spiffy! posted:

Definitely looks like quite a few strands of yarn twisted up and allowed to curl around each other. There's probably a strand of yarn tied very tight around the end before all the strands stick out. It would probably unravel if I did it too.

Try googling twisted cord and just...upsizing it.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

Spiffy! posted:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTswell.html

Have a look at the tassel instructions under Finishing. It's not exactly like it, but it might help.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

NumbersAndNoise posted:

New finished object: Tom hoodie from Jane Ellison's Queensland Collection 9 in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted.

Front:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Hot! I need to go whole hog and just knit a hooded sweater for myself one of these days; I've amassed a collection of balaclavas and cowls but they don't do it for me anymore. :(

Hobo Camp posted:

Any Thanksgiving weekend yarn sales?

@ Joann's? Sales, sure. Product, no. I won't buy much from them anymore these days if I can avoid it (I am a psychotic quilter who legitimately holds a grudge against them for a kefluffle last year involving a TOO EDGY QUILTING MAGAZINE- how sad is that?), but their yarn selection hasn't done much for me. Beverley's has been better lately. Even the Ace Hardware store that I go past on my way to work has a better yarn selection than Joann's on most days.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ozma posted:

Hot! I need to go whole hog and just knit a hooded sweater for myself one of these days; I've amassed a collection of balaclavas and cowls but they don't do it for me anymore. :(

@ Joann's? Sales, sure. Product, no. I won't buy much from them anymore these days if I can avoid it (I am a psychotic quilter who legitimately holds a grudge against them for a kefluffle last year involving a TOO EDGY QUILTING MAGAZINE- how sad is that?), but their yarn selection hasn't done much for me. Beverley's has been better lately. Even the Ace Hardware store that I go past on my way to work has a better yarn selection than Joann's on most days.

Ace hardware has YARN?!

I need to know more about the edgy quilting magazine, please. Was there a pattern for a giant goatse quilt or something?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I need to know more about the edgy quilting magazine, please. Was there a pattern for a giant goatse quilt or something?

I am also intrigued. All I can think of is a block that looked far too much like a swastika.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

I am also intrigued. All I can think of is a block that looked far too much like a swastika.

And I'm suddenly wondering if I can make a subtle enough goatse quilt to give to my rear end of a brother and his rear end of a wife, because that would be hilarious for years to come.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

And I'm suddenly wondering if I can make a subtle enough goatse quilt to give to my rear end of a brother and his rear end of a wife, because that would be hilarious for years to come.

Oh great, now I'm imagining your sister in law prodding a fabric anus while exclaiming how squishy and well made it is.

Thanks a lot.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Oh great, now I'm imagining your sister in law prodding a fabric anus while exclaiming how squishy and well made it is.

Thanks a lot.

lol

She deserves it! She insisted on hosting thanksgiving and yet made everything "diet" because she's a fatass and wants to lose weight. Also she owes me money. And about a billion other horrible things.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Terrestrial Octopus posted:

It'd probably be easier to just get some new elastic to put into the slippers you have. If I'm interpretting the construction right, couldn't you just run a few loops of something like this thru the ring of knitting at the ankle, tie the ends together, and push the knot inside the knit so it doesnt show?

I feel like such a dummy now. :doh: I swear when I looked at it it seemed like the elastic was somehow ingrained into the yarn... but you're right. There's just a string of elastic that I can replace. Thanks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

lol

She deserves it! She insisted on hosting thanksgiving and yet made everything "diet" because she's a fatass and wants to lose weight. Also she owes me money. And about a billion other horrible things.

Just write her a nice, polite email asking for the money.

After I did that my annoying Aunt never bothered me again! :v:

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Diet Thanksgiving? Yeah, she definitely deserves a goatse quilt.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ma_NiC posted:

Diet Thanksgiving? Yeah, she definitely deserves a goatse quilt.

She took the skin off the turkey and THREW IT AWAY. Not like, on her serving, on the whole thing. And low fat gravy? I don't know what it is but if it's low fat it's not goddamn gravy.

And I'm knitting her a Hemlock Ring blanket as we speak. Amazing. Maybe I should spit on it or something before I give it to her...

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

And I'm knitting her a Hemlock Ring blanket as we speak. Amazing. Maybe I should spit on it or something before I give it to her...

incorporate some real hemlock and do it up Socrates-stylee

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Ozma posted:

Currently at Michaels for the holidays, and ordering from knitpicks while I'm in the US. Michaels accepts everyone else's coupons (AC Moore, Joannes, etc), and the fisherman's wool (which felts!) has a lot of yardage and is a very nice price when half off.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Ozma posted:

I need to go whole hog and just knit a hooded sweater for myself one of these days; I've amassed a collection of balaclavas and cowls but they don't do it for me anymore. :(

Mark my words, I WILL knit a Vivian someday. Or some version of it.

My god, it's full of curves. :aaaaa:

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
So, I'm determined to knit socks for people this christmas, but I've never knitted socks or anything that involves knitting in the round. Can someone recommend a site or a book or a pattern or something thats good for beginners to teach me how to do this?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Firequirks posted:

Mark my words, I WILL knit a Vivian someday. Or some version of it.

My god, it's full of curves. :aaaaa:
Vivian has been my favorite thing forever. I have the yarn and the needles and the pattern, all of it, and I'm dying to start. I love the yarn/color, I love cables, and I cannot wait to have (and WEAR) that sweater. But I need to wait until my size is stable fffffffuck.

Until then, have more photos of hot curvy sweaters.

This is my favorite mod of Vivian (I'm going to do mine like this with the collar and the short-row shaping):

I also really want to make a mod of the Urban Aran Cardigan, which is usually dude-appropriate, but with the ribs the way they are the shaping could be amazing. Here's one woman's I want to base mine on:

This sweater has the charming, euphonious name of Pull #480-T7-260 by Phildar Design Team

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh, yeah, Vivian is gorgeous. I'm gonna make one someday. Right now it would look absolutely awful on me (I hate you, hips, please go away quicker).

I want the Urban Aran too but I'm always stymied when I can't just order a pattern online and download it. It's in a booklet or something, right?

Bolivia_is_Good
Jul 7, 2007
Christmas gifts!

This year I decided I would only give knitted gifts (except for the bf- he's getting a coffee machine). I still have a long way to go, but here's what I got so far....

Kitty hat for my niece (and I still have to make two more):

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Purse for my mom (it doesn't have the handle on it yet):

Robot hat for my little brother:

Small, keyhole scarf for my grandma:

Skull hat for my dad (I think I'm going to add some ear flaps to this so he can wear it when he snowboards):

I love being the crazy knitter in my family. Hats for everybody!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
For some goddamn reason I decided to make socks for everyone. :gonk: Thank God I got laid off and don't start my new job until 12/14! I love knitted socks but all that stockinette drives me bonkers.

We draw names in my husband's family and we'd better do it soon so I can start planning THAT project. Whoever I draw is getting felted slippers or thrummed mittens.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

So, I'm determined to knit socks for people this christmas, but I've never knitted socks or anything that involves knitting in the round. Can someone recommend a site or a book or a pattern or something thats good for beginners to teach me how to do this?

Silver's Sock Class!

That's how I did my first (and only) pair. I keep meaning to knit more but I've got so many projects going on. But I found it to be a very easy to follow tutorial, although I converted mine to ankle socks, which doesn't change anything really except how long you knit the "tube" part for.

You probably would want to start with "One Sock on Four DPNs."

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Lackadaisical posted:

I like the Ann Budd sock book a lot! The instructions are really clear and she helps you troubleshoot a lot of potential problems.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Whatever you do don't use the one in Knitting for Dummies. Oh my god, I thought I had actually gone insane.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

This sweater has the charming, euphonious name of Pull #480-T7-260 by Phildar Design Team

NICE.

The quilting mag drama was regarding Mark Lipinsky's magazine, Quilter's Home. It's a quirky little magazine that's obviously geared towards younger folks, and they had an issue dedicated to art quilts- ones with race, sex, and religion as themes. They packaged it in plastic to be safe and Joanne's still refused to carry it because it was "controversial." In the end I think it was a good deal for him- I think it sold out and people like me got subscriptions as a result, so he should be happy they did it. :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Last year, for my birthday (in November), my mom got me some Skacel Merino Lace yarn. For Christmas, she got me some more Merino Lace, and a couple of skeins of some really nice alpaca (Araucania Atacama) with "for mom's scarf" written on the labels. So, she got a scarf for her birthday in the end of January. I asked what she wanted this year, and she looked all sheepish and said, "a sweater". She's getting the Stacy Pullover from Big Girl Knits, she just lost a ton of weight, and I wanted to make her something to show it off. I've finished the body, I just have the sleeves to finish before Christmas.

(picture is before I finished the other shoulder)

Yarn is (sigh) Vanna's choice. nice enough for an acrylic, mom gets warm too easy, but it's already starting to pill. I wanted something she would ACTUALLY WEAR, not avoid for fear of felting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Christmas knitting dump! Here's what I've got so far.

Felted slippers for my sister:

Beret for my grandmother:

Fingerless gloves for my cousin:

Thrummed mittens for Mr. Longpig:

Classy mustache for my Dad:

Assorted Fish and Bee hats!