Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Demon_Corsair posted:

Resubmitted for your approval.

Much better now.

It looks like the horizon is slightly crooked or distorted.

Have you tried any other cropping options? It might add a little more drama to the shot as a more panoramic style image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

I like both of these.

From this past weekend:

Nice shot!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

RangerScum posted:

Nice shot!

Thanks, not so sure about this one. I feel like this sort of thing is probably better achieved with a tripod and long exposure.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Reichstag posted:

Thanks, not so sure about this one. I feel like this sort of thing is probably better achieved with a tripod and long exposure.

yeah, probably. at least that'll let you stop it down.

i just got a roll of velvia 50 back and apparently 1/30 really isn't fast enough to shoot handheld wtf

so i did a three shot pano with that velvia:

scanned, it's like 500+ MP, and i dont have enough scatch space on my windows partion to dodge and burn it to look good. i did the above by shrinking it down to something far more manageable. when i gave my windows partition 20 gigs i totally forgot about scratch space

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 4, 2009

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
A few more shots from Tibet. I've been procrastinating doing any post on these forever.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

drat that is some blue water. curiously what altitude were those at?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

drat that is some blue water. curiously what altitude were those at?

First one was near the 5km mark if I'm not mistaken. The others were at about 4-4.3km.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

scanned, it's like 500+ MP, and i dont have enough scatch space on my windows partion to dodge and burn it to look good. i did the above by shrinking it down to something far more manageable. when i gave my windows partition 20 gigs i totally forgot about scratch space
Pretty sure you can move your scratch file?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Pretty sure you can move your scratch file?

i just looked this up & fixed it. thanks!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

man thats gross posted:

A few more shots from Tibet. I've been procrastinating doing any post on these forever.

You should post a trip report, I'm interested to hear about it. I've only been as close as Qinghai, my Chinese friends wanted to go to Tibet but thought they would die of altitude sickness or something, so we didn't go :-\

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You should post a trip report, I'm interested to hear about it. I've only been as close as Qinghai, my Chinese friends wanted to go to Tibet but thought they would die of altitude sickness or something, so we didn't go :-\

They might. =/

Nah, if you just give it a few days at a moderate altitude (we stayed in Lhasa, 3.5km) you should be fine.

I'll definitely be posting a report as soon as all the post is finished.

omfg its jeff
May 14, 2004

I see you.
Went to Multnomah Falls recently, the trek to the top ended up being more than I expected, pretty day though.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

omfg its jeff posted:

Looks like a dangerous position to be taking a photo from :)

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

omfg its jeff posted:

I really like this but I feel like there are too many (great) subjects. If you took two photos instead, one with the waterfall under you and the trees, and one with the trees and the road/ocean, each would be a great picture and they would be less cluttered. As it stands, there are two great subjects (waterfall and ocean/road) and a great background/filler (trees), but you don't really know what to focus on.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Buller River from my recent NZ road trip

Click here for the full 1024x452 image.

omfg its jeff
May 14, 2004

I see you.

fenner posted:

Looks like a dangerous position to be taking a photo from :)

There's a pretty great platform at the top, but I was leaning pretty far over the rail to not catch it in the picture.

Thanks FBI, I have a couple sans waterfall that turned out, but I didn't get any that I like of just the waterfall.

The road looks weird and disconnected in that last one, but it matches up with other pictures, so I'm not sure what's really going on there.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Got my rear end out of bed for sunrise this weekend.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I was all excited to attempt to get some really cool landscape shots to actually contribute a bit to this thread while I was on my trip to Marco Island this weekend. Then it decided to pour rain and be insanely windy 90% of the time. I managed to get out and take photos for about an hour along the beach while there was a small break in the weather. Here's on of the ones I took away. I was trying to capture both how lovely the weather was and the tiny glimmer of sunny hope that was peaking through.

I really wish I had something that was between my 20mm and my 8mm fisheye for this. Well, really I wish I had a full frame.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

rockcity posted:

I could just be imagining things, but there is something really strange going on with the horizon line here.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I could just be imagining things, but there is something really strange going on with the horizon line here.

Nah, I think you're right, I was shooting at a bit of an angle and wasn't focusing on getting things perfect on the camera. I'll fix that.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

rockcity posted:

Nah, I think you're right, I was shooting at a bit of an angle and wasn't focusing on getting things perfect on the camera. I'll fix that.

Is the sky comp'd in?

Whitezombi posted:

I'm loving all of these canyon shots of yours, especially this one.

Dread Head posted:

Got my rear end out of bed for sunrise this weekend.

I've been too busy to get out in ages, just starting to find some time now just in time for eternal northern darkness :( Might try a sunrise or set this weekend I guess, but waking up in the dark and leaving work in the dark is killing me already and it's only December.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

whaam posted:

Is the sky comp'd in?

Nope, that's just the weather that day. There was a brief bit of blue sky for maybe 20 minutes and the rest of the day the sky was just a dark mass of ugly as you see on the right there.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Taken about an hour before landing in Beijing.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

I've been too busy to get out in ages, just starting to find some time now just in time for eternal northern darkness :( Might try a sunrise or set this weekend I guess, but waking up in the dark and leaving work in the dark is killing me already and it's only December.

It sucks, we don't have it as bad here and it is still terrible.

--

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

spf3million posted:

Taken about an hour before landing in Beijing.

I really like this, there's a great sense of movement in the clouds.

I took these up in Rocky Mountain National Park last weekend:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

not many cool landscapes near me, just generic medium-sized cities

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I like that.

It doesn't quite feel like a, to borrow a term, fine print, though.

Wubble
Dec 29, 2008
Finally got a working tri-pod.

Edit: I reedited the photo a bit, and removed most of the spots the best I could, but most of them were actually rain drops that got on the lens.

Wubble fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 29, 2009

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wubble posted:

I like this. A lot. But, dude, clean your sensor.

edit:

Wubble posted:

Edit: I reedited the photo a bit, and removed most of the spots the best I could, but most of them were actually rain drops that got on the lens.

Ah, makes sense. In any event, beautiful photo.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 29, 2009

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
was playing with some long exposures sans-tripod a few months back. This is on the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm going to Hawaii next month and I'm planning on doing some hiking and taking pictures along the way, so no tripod.

I was thinking of renting a 70-200 while I was out there for my 7D, but I think that would be entirely too bulky/heavy to really hike with. I have a 17-50 Tamron f/2.8 (no VC) that I would use instead.

I have a lowepro micro trekker 100 backpack that I'm pretty sure won't fit a 70-200 in it with the 7D either. Although I'm reading online it will...

Any tips? I don't know quite what to expect and I definitely don't want to hike having a 7D with a 70-200 around my neck.

edit: I am going to post this in the gear thread too.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 29, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dunkman posted:

I'm going to Hawaii next month and I'm planning on doing some hiking and taking pictures along the way, so no tripod.

I was thinking of renting a 70-200 while I was out there for my 7D, but I think that would be entirely too bulky/heavy to really hike with. I have a 17-50 Tamron f/2.8 (no VC) that I would use instead.

I have a lowepro micro trekker 100 backpack that I'm pretty sure won't fit a 70-200 in it with the 7D either. Although I'm reading online it will...

Any tips? I don't know quite what to expect and I definitely don't want to hike having a 7D with a 70-200 around my neck.

Take a tripod, even if it is a smaller one they are really useful and if you have a bag then you can probably strap it to it. as for a 70-200 you need to decide what you are wanting to take photos of I think it would be handy and you could keep it in your bag until you needed it.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
fack. ingore this for now...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dunkman posted:

Monopod. Get an inexpensive one you won't mind hurting, and just keep it out and use it as a walking stick.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

If you are going to hike get a walking staff with a built in camera mount.

I have this one and it's great - really light.

http://www.rei.com/product/745686

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm