Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

jamal posted:

no it's just that some early 04s have that transmission.

Oh wow, this I did not know. Are there build dates I could reference to check if mine was indeed shipped out with the previous model year trans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Isn't the easiest way to check to see if you have the newer model transmission to check the drain plug? Regular bolt=old, torx=new?

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I'm having a hard time finding a used subaru that's not trash right now. Does the Audi A4 Quattro compare well at all? I'm seeing much better deals on those. And I like how the shifter feels.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Demie posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a used subaru that's not trash right now. Does the Audi A4 Quattro compare well at all? I'm seeing much better deals on those. And I like how the shifter feels.
They do much better at breaking down. Also being slow.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

nm posted:

They do much better at breaking down. Also being slow.

Mechanically Audis are great, just every little thing will break, and if you don't have lots of tools and complete factory service literature it'll be a complete pain to work on them.
Contrast this to subaru, where if the known potential issues are checked for and fixed once, and they aren't modified improperly, they will last literally forever.

edit: also it's several times as expensive to modify an audi for a specific level of performance. But audis are godlike in the snow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
it appears that this is what I've broken:

When I pull on the inner cv something is moving around inside the diff/trans although the car still drives mostly alright.

Really not looking forward to pulling the transmission apart, plus I don't see how I couldn't have damaged the sealing surfaces or the diff itself.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

My STi has blown struts (Factory Installed Option) I need to replace. What are the popular replacement struts that people have had a positive experience with?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ab0z posted:

But audis are godlike in the snow.
Just like subarus.

Audis are subarus for people who want german cars and/or care too much about interiors.

(Also, r8s, mmmm)

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?
Alright, finally getting around to purchasing winter tires and wheels. I'm going to go with 16" steelies and 205/55R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds.

Do I need to get the TPMS sensors, or will the car work without them and just throw a code for sensor errors?

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

jamal posted:

it appears that this is what I've broken:

When I pull on the inner cv something is moving around inside the diff/trans although the car still drives mostly alright.

Really not looking forward to pulling the transmission apart, plus I don't see how I couldn't have damaged the sealing surfaces or the diff itself.

I don't see how you can damage that. On a manual transmission those splined shafts (B on that diagram) are held into the centre diff with circlips and can't come out. If you pop the ball joint off the offending side and that whole inner shaft comes out then you've just snapped a circlip. If you've somehow broken the bearing retainer/adjuster then you would probably know about it when all your gear oil falls out and you front diff exits the side of the case.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Going to ask this one again. If you had to replace an axle on your Subaru on the cheap would you go for a potentially dubious axle made by USA industries or just pick up a junkyard axle and reboot/regrease it?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
I'd totally go for the junker - no reason it'd be worse than something made in the us bra

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ssh posted:

I'd totally go for the junker - no reason it'd be worse than something made in the us bra

Well strangely the junker axle would actually be more than the USA industries one. Thats whats making me worried about the USA axle, its cheapness. With a junkyard axle I at least have a good shot at getting a genuine Subaru axle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

8ender posted:

Going to ask this one again. If you had to replace an axle on your Subaru on the cheap would you go for a potentially dubious axle made by USA industries or just pick up a junkyard axle and reboot/regrease it?
USA seems to reman OEM parts, so. . . .

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I ended up picking up an A1 Cardone remanufactured axle from RockAuto for about $52. I was a little wary of a reman axle but this Endwrench article (http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/07FebRemanEW.pdf) where they say that Subaru offers reman Cardone axles through its dealers and how awesome they are made me feel better about it.

I'm trying out a crazy idea tomorrow to limp the axle until Christmas when I've got some more time to work on it. I've got a needle attachment for my grease gun and I'm going to inject some CV grease into the outboard CV and see if that quiets it down. I've got an all out front end overhaul planned for the holidays. New struts, mounts, ball joints, the axle, and I'll get the winter tires on.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Inject grease, wrap a plastic bag around the remains of the boot, and duct tape the poo poo out of it. It'll last nearly as long as a new boot.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Hey Jamal, how come you picked an older model Legacy that you may/may not drop a turbo-charged engine into in the future rather than just buying a later-gen turbo-charged Legacy? I figure either you're being frugal or just really like that gen (I like the looks myself), but was curious enough I figured I'd ask. It just seems unusual considering you're always working on the latest and greatest.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Is there any reason to not re-use my OEM rotors as long as they are in good condition and have more than a 1/4 inch of material left?

Or should I just suck it up and spend the additional money for new rotors?

05 WRX with 55,xxx miles and in need of brakes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

autozone blanks are $33 each, but if the rotors aren't grooved out too bad and you don't get any vibration while braking hard you could probably re-use them.

Jared592 posted:

Hey Jamal, how come you picked an older model Legacy that you may/may not drop a turbo-charged engine into in the future rather than just buying a later-gen turbo-charged Legacy? I figure either you're being frugal or just really like that gen (I like the looks myself), but was curious enough I figured I'd ask. It just seems unusual considering you're always working on the latest and greatest.

Well I have always liked this gen car, but it mostly came down to me buying what I could afford. Going to school and being a tech at a performance shop doesn't pay so well. Although I make more part-time at the new place then I did full time at the old place.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Your story has become tiresome.
I've owned my 2001 Subaru Forester for over five years, and have had few problems. The catalytic converter needs to be replaced, which I'm not looking forward to. Stupid question: any problems with buying a CC online and having an independent shop do the work?

Oh ... I just moved to Buffalo from Austin, Texas. Looking forward to REAL winter driving with my lesbian magnet. (I'm a Buffalo native, so I'm experienced with driving in heavy snow.)

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

elmwood posted:

I've owned my 2001 Subaru Forester for over five years, and have had few problems. The catalytic converter needs to be replaced, which I'm not looking forward to. Stupid question: any problems with buying a CC online and having an independent shop do the work?

Oh ... I just moved to Buffalo from Austin, Texas. Looking forward to REAL winter driving with my lesbian magnet. (I'm a Buffalo native, so I'm experienced with driving in heavy snow.)

I don't see why not, I changed mine with a non-oem cat, and everything seems ok, although it seems to sit a bit lower than the factory cat did.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This probably gets asked every year around this time, but can somebody recommend me some mud flaps for my 09 WRX? Price isn't really a concern if they're well made.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

GravityDaemon posted:

This probably gets asked every year around this time, but can somebody recommend me some mud flaps for my 09 WRX? Price isn't really a concern if they're well made.

I bought the cheaper rally armor flaps, They seem pretty sturdy. The UR ones are pretty popular, but they cost a kidney (for what they are).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

GravityDaemon posted:

RallyArmor

edit: beaten

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tremblay posted:

I bought the cheaper rally armor flaps, They seem pretty sturdy. The UR ones are pretty popular, but they cost a kidney (for what they are).

warwick5s posted:

RallyArmor

edit: beaten

That was fast, thanks!

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
http://forums.nasioc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=30cd1df96d15cf1b579af09515dd9acb&t=1875708

DIY Ikea mudflaps. :\

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ugh. So I still have the 1 second death rattle at startup and I'm a little worried its rod knock. The only positive thing is that right now the engine sounds and drives fine after the initial rattle, which is odd considering how damaging rod knock should be. The rattle at start has been going on for at least 8000+ kilometers of driving as well, and I figure the engine would have eaten itself by now if it was serious. The oil light comes on at startup for about a second but I think the oil light always comes on at startup.

So I'm completely lost as to what to look at here. I'm going to take the timing covers off this weekend and disconnect all the belts and start it up and see what happens. Maybe its the oil pump? Is there a check valve to keep oil from draining out of the engine in the pump? Bad tensioner maybe?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm out of ideas and the rattle sounds awful :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn't see anyone mention here that there's going to be a new STI trim level next year. The SE will be a limited run in the spring and then become a full model later in the year.

quote:

The 2010 WRX STI Special Edition is aimed at the driving enthusiast who is willing to trade a few amenities to gain an extra measure of handling performance over the already extraordinary WRX STI. Suspension for the new version of this high-performance machine is adopted from the Japanese domestic market WRX STI spec C model, which adds a 1-millimeter thicker rear stabilizer bar, stiffer rear sub-frame bushings plus upgraded and retuned springs. The front springs are 16-percent stiffer, while the rear shocks have been stiffened by 29-percent.

Compared with the standard 2010 WRX STI, the WRX STI Special Edition features halogen rather than HID headlights; a single-disc CD player / 4-speaker audio system instead of the 6-CD /10-speaker system; manual air conditioning in place of automatic climate control, and body color side mirrors.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/24/la-preview-subaru-wrx-sti-special-edition-headed-for-u-s-showr/

The idea is it's going to be cheaper than the normal STI, we'll see by how much when the announcement is made at the autoshow.

So, general availability of the model will be later 2010, right around the time that I was thinking about picking up a new car. The timing seems too coincidental to me. We'll just have to see how much cheaper it is than the normal STI.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Around the same time they are releasing a WRX premium with leather. That is going to be an expensive car :(. I prefer cloth anyhow but I wonder how many nearly 30k WRXs they really expect to move.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

8ender posted:

Ugh. So I still have the 1 second death rattle at startup and I'm a little worried its rod knock. The only positive thing is that right now the engine sounds and drives fine after the initial rattle, which is odd considering how damaging rod knock should be. The rattle at start has been going on for at least 8000+ kilometers of driving as well, and I figure the engine would have eaten itself by now if it was serious. The oil light comes on at startup for about a second but I think the oil light always comes on at startup.

So I'm completely lost as to what to look at here. I'm going to take the timing covers off this weekend and disconnect all the belts and start it up and see what happens. Maybe its the oil pump? Is there a check valve to keep oil from draining out of the engine in the pump? Bad tensioner maybe?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm out of ideas and the rattle sounds awful :(

it's probably just piston slap. If my car hasn't ran in a few days it sounds especially bad. If you take the covers off you may see a lot of dust in there from bearings, but the best way to check the idlers is to take them off and spin them, which also means taking off the timing belt.

Spoke to a friend of mine at the dealership today and he says they're doing more long block replacements on 2.5 turbos because of a bad batch of bearings. This is in addition to the problem of casting residue being left in the blocks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Tremblay posted:

Around the same time they are releasing a WRX premium with leather. That is going to be an expensive car :(. I prefer cloth anyhow but I wonder how many nearly 30k WRXs they really expect to move.

WRX's with leather own. The 2010 limited would be at the top of the list if I had to buy something new.

I have dogs, I need leather. :( (But I have an 07 Limited so I'm set :) )

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

it's probably just piston slap. If my car hasn't ran in a few days it sounds especially bad. If you take the covers off you may see a lot of dust in there from bearings, but the best way to check the idlers is to take them off and spin them, which also means taking off the timing belt.

Wow, so the piston slap can be that loud? This is like a loud BRRAAAPP sound right after it catches on start up. I figured piston slap was the noisy ticking type noise it makes for the first minute or two of cold driving.

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

I have an annoying whine I can hear when driving my '05 Saab 9-2x Aero, which pretty much an '05 WRX. It sounds kind of like gear whine. The sound depends solely on engine rpm, and increases in pitch and volume as engine rpm increases. It is not particularly noticeable until above 3000 rpm. I listened around the engine bay and concluded that it was coming from the A/C idler pulley. I replaced this pulley, and expected this to solve the problem as the bearing in the old pulley had a lot of play.

Unfortunately, the whining noise was still there. I revved the engine with both v-belts disconnected and the noise was unchanged. Listening more closely it appeared to coming from just below and to the right of the A/C idler pulley.

Looking at the above manual diagram I think it may be the idler pulley 'C', which is not too expensive of a part.

Does anyone know if this is the likely culprit and if I will be able to replace this part relatively easily? Maybe I can even replace this pulley with the timing belt in place and minimal disassembly? I hope it's not the automatic tensioner, which is just to the left of the idler in the diagram.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BatDan posted:

Does anyone know if this is the likely culprit and if I will be able to replace this part relatively easily? Maybe I can even replace this pulley with the timing belt in place and minimal disassembly? I hope it's not the automatic tensioner, which is just to the left of the idler in the diagram.

Watch this informative Youtube video and judge for yourself. I'd bet its pulley C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEk0-UIE-k

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

that small pulley is always the first one to wear out, so I suppose it's possible.

At 100k I recommend doing the belt, water pump, tensioner, and all the pulleys.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

jamal posted:

that small pulley is always the first one to wear out, so I suppose it's possible.

As in replace all of said parts ? I had a 97 Legacy 2.5, one of the pulleys siezed , belt jumped and smashed the valves/destroyed the heads. $1500 bill thanks to a $20 pulley. Any way to check the pulleys to see if they are on the way out ?

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

jamal posted:

I only have 64,000 miles on this car. I figure I'll just replace this single pulley now. When I get to 105k I'll do all that stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Me-262 posted:

As in replace all of said parts ? I had a 97 Legacy 2.5, one of the pulleys siezed , belt jumped and smashed the valves/destroyed the heads. $1500 bill thanks to a $20 pulley. Any way to check the pulleys to see if they are on the way out ?

yes all of them. You shouldn't need to worry about them not making 100k miles unless something is leaking on them.

I lost a water pump at 130k, which meant new belt.

then I lost an idler at 180k, which meant new belt and new idlers.

Thankfully it was a old 2.2 and I didn't really hurt anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just shy of 8 years of ownership and I rolled over into six digits today on the way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BatDan posted:

I only have 64,000 miles on this car. I figure I'll just replace this single pulley now. When I get to 105k I'll do all that stuff.

You're going to have to re-tension the cambelt while you're in there, so you might as well do the belt, idlers, tensioner and water pump now if you plan to keep the car for awhile. It's not all that difficult, actually - since you're dropping the water anyway, pull the rad and it's a piece of cake.

(Can you tell I've got a naturally-aspirated 2.5L twincam? It's a red BD. Thanks for the lovely headgaskets, Subaru, in the otherwise awesome engine and car.)