Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
So I just got Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe for cheap. Any thing I should know ahead of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Killer7: Con and KAEDE are the best characters to upgrade, because they get the ability that lets them auto-lock on to weak-points the fastest.
The plot's not supposed to make sense, just have fun with it.
Viewtiful Joe: Only hint I can remember is that you want to get the upgrade that increase your VFX regeneration as fast as possible - save up to get it as your first upgrade if you have to.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

wdarkk posted:

I could use a little more help/clarification with Phantom Brave.

First off, I have like 40 objects on top of the house and I haven't gotten any bottle mails other than the two you get at the end of each of the first two chapters.

Second, I could use advice leveling up new characters. I run into trouble trying to advance the plot because all my phantoms except Ash and a couple others are low level. Is there a way to advance levels really fast in the first 3 chapters?

Third, is there a way to get mana really fast yet? Or do I need to reach some later point?

Are you sure about those bottlemails? The ones you see between chapters are just delivering mail. The only two ways of geting bottlemails: open the class for creation by killing 20, or making Ash climb to a specific height on the island. You can only get one bottlemail this way.

To get the bottle mail on the island, you've got to stack things on top of each other on Marona's roof and climb on top of it. Use characters and trees because they're tallest. You should be able to do it with the stuff that's on your island when you start your game.

Levelling in the first 3 chapters, probably isn't too necessary. But if you must, just make sure that the characters who need to level the most are the ones who deliver killing blows. Each phantom you confine will get some experience bonus when you clear the map, but when the enemy levels are on par to yours, it's not much. There's no good ways to level at that point of the game. You could try going into failure dungeons, but this early in the game, even with no stats the enemies might put up a challenge.

Don't worry about getting mana really fast at this point of the game. The best way to get ridiculous amounts of mana fast is to create a failure dungeon rated at least twice your level. Then steal the scenery with the most mana. Bottlemails are really the only kind of unit that has a reasonable chance of stealing. Once you' return to your island, you can use a fusionist to graft that item's mana on to another character or item.

Remember you won't be able to create units of a given class until you kill an enemy of that class. Most humanoid units only appear as neutral units. To open up monster classes you will have to kill more than one of that class.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

First off, I have like 40 objects on top of the house and I haven't gotten any bottle mails other than the two you get at the end of each of the first two chapters.

Second, I could use advice leveling up new characters. I run into trouble trying to advance the plot because all my phantoms except Ash and a couple others are low level. Is there a way to advance levels really fast in the first 3 chapters?

Third, is there a way to get mana really fast yet? Or do I need to reach some later point?

You get the bottlemail by stacking stuff on top of the tree next to the house. You also get a Changebook this way. Which brings me to point 2:

To level up other characters, have Ash pick up the Changebook on the island and whack someone with it. You'll now control the other character. Have that character pick up a weapon and go to town on your other characters. You'll get experience as if you'd killed a monster of the same level. However...

Killing your own characters gives you a stat called "Dark" which, upon reaching 100, will give you the Blasphemer title and the "Dark Eboreus" skill you may have seen once or twice by now. Sounds well and good but characters with a high Dark stat will randomly kill other characters on the island while you're away. Not a big deal as long as you've got the money to res them. If you ally-kill for levels, stop around maybe ~50 Dark or so to keep yourself safe from that.

I don't honestly know the formula for getting mana. One of the classes gets a "Mana Strike" attack which gives you an extra bit of mana if you kill an enemy with it.

The number of "free stat points" you can give a new character depends on the highest-leveled character of that class you already have. Example, a class you've never made yet has 3 points you can distribute. If you have a level 100 of that same class, you might have like 20 points or something. If you've got money to spare, you can just keep remaking people like that, having them gradually get stronger.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Sworder posted:

You get the bottlemail by stacking stuff on top of the tree next to the house. You also get a Changebook this way. Which brings me to point 2:

To level up other characters, have Ash pick up the Changebook on the island and whack someone with it. You'll now control the other character. Have that character pick up a weapon and go to town on your other characters. You'll get experience as if you'd killed a monster of the same level. However...

Killing your own characters gives you a stat called "Dark" which, upon reaching 100, will give you the Blasphemer title and the "Dark Eboreus" skill you may have seen once or twice by now. Sounds well and good but characters with a high Dark stat will randomly kill other characters on the island while you're away. Not a big deal as long as you've got the money to res them. If you ally-kill for levels, stop around maybe ~50 Dark or so to keep yourself safe from that.

If you have an old woman summoned on the island while you're away, occasionally she'll remove a character's dark points. Although it's pretty random and not likely to happen.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just bought Way of the Samurai 3. It's my first time playing a game in this series and so far it seems...overwhelming. I need some tips on what to do my first (couple?) playthrough so that I can feel like I am accomplishing something. So far I've just been running around and using it like a Samurai-themed GTA to kill people and get better swords.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Jigsaw posted:

I just picked up Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 2 for the GBA. I'd love to play the first, but haven't found a copy, so I'm pretty much completely lost as far as plot goes. It also didn't have a manual, so if anyone could post a link to a place that has the manual (replacement docs doesn't), or a brief like what would be found in the manual, and maybe a link to a plot summary of the first game, it would really help. It's fun so far, but I'm so confused.

Aliens called ahead of time that they were going to attack earth with a giant loving battle station called the White Star, so a bunch of giant robot pilots got together and decided to mess their poo poo up. But a dude named Bian Zoldark was all like "no humanity isn't strong enough" so he decided to cause a poo poo-load of trouble just to level up the heroes. Then they fought the aliens and won. Turns out the last boss was one of the heroines' sister. There actually isn't a whole lot connecting the two games other than the characters, but if you absolutely have to know, El Maligno did a LP thread here. You might need archives, though. I guess if you ever see a phrase or name you don't recognize you can check this.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

wdarkk posted:

If I remember right, the way to level up characters really fast is to generate a high-level random dungeon (one that Ash can handle but your other guys can't), and have Ash kill all the enemies on the level while just having your low-level guys present (be sure to keep them alive, though). Once you clear the level, the weak guys get HUGE exp bonuses just for being on a high-level stage.

Also, not positive about this, but I think one of the quickest ways to earn mana is to destroy objects on stages, the higher level the better.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Just bought and started playing Pure for 360. Any tips to be more consistent in winning races?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
To the previous poster who had some great advice on FFTA2, thanks a bunch! I've now put another 10 or so hours into the game, and had a few more questions:

1 How do clan auctions work? I understand the better nature of the game and have gotten decent with it, but is there any overall tips you have? What does it mean to own a region?

2 Can I keep my "default" team for the whole game, or should I actively focus on plot leveling plot characters? There's a lot of fucks who keep trying to join my clan, but they're bringing nothing to the table (entry-level jobs with no skills mastered). What am I missing there?

3 When I go to the bazaar and enter some items, most of the time it produces a "???" type good, but sometimes I already know the good my items are going to produce. Should I just buy it anyway, or is it redundant?

4 How important are status effects? In my experience in traditional final fantasy games most effects can go get hosed, should I be focusing on a character that can blind, silence and poison for instance?

5 What are some good synergies between classes as far as stat growth and primary and secondary abilities for one character? I'm mostly interested in melee and healer types with a little bit of ranged (if status effects end up being important it might be nice to throw one in the mix).

You're the expert here, show me your knowledge!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Olaf The Stout posted:

1 How do clan auctions work? I understand the better nature of the game and have gotten decent with it, but is there any overall tips you have? What does it mean to own a region?

3 When I go to the bazaar and enter some items, most of the time it produces a "???" type good, but sometimes I already know the good my items are going to produce. Should I just buy it anyway, or is it redundant?

I can help with these 2 at least:

1. You can tell what other people are going to bid each round based on what their avatar was doing (crouching, walking, running, jumping). From memory the clan auctions are worth doing, but not a huge deal if you gently caress them up, but I only got about halfway through the game, they might become more important later (although they come up every year for each region anyway, so you only gain/lose control of the area for a year).

2. At the Bazaar when you are turning in items, it puts one of those items into the shop for sale, rather than into your inventory. If its ??? that means its an item you havent seen before, if it tells you then you have. Only trade in for a known item if you know you want it, otherwise its a waste. So (for example) if your trade in comes up as "fire stave", then if you trade in your stuff you get a fire stave put into the shop (you still have to buy it, and once you buy it you have to trade in more stuff before you can buy another one).

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Olaf The Stout posted:

2 Can I keep my "default" team for the whole game, or should I actively focus on plot leveling plot characters? There's a lot of fucks who keep trying to join my clan, but they're bringing nothing to the table (entry-level jobs with no skills mastered). What am I missing there?

4 How important are status effects? In my experience in traditional final fantasy games most effects can go get hosed, should I be focusing on a character that can blind, silence and poison for instance?

5 What are some good synergies between classes as far as stat growth and primary and secondary abilities for one character? I'm mostly interested in melee and healer types with a little bit of ranged (if status effects end up being important it might be nice to throw one in the mix).
1. Adding to SiKboy's advice, auctions are only really important once you're able to bid on every area in a region. If you're able to claim them all at once, you gain control of them permanently. All further auctions in that region turn into freaking awesome item auctions.

2. I don't remember if the main character is ever stuck in a solo battle in this one, but you're probably using him most of the time anyway. Everyone else can be ignored if you want to stick with your generics. As for all generics that try to join, none will ever have skills mastered. You may want to watch for classes with very good growth in a stat you like. Such as assassins for speed.

4. Status effects are perfectly viable, but I stuck to the more debilitating ones like sleep, stone, disable and silence. Protect and shell are always welcome too. There's even a class that gains the ability to use items on enemies with reversed effects.

5. It's been a while, but I cheesed it a little with fast viera. Most of the old combinations are still fun like red mage/summoner with Blood Price, which lets you double cast summons by consuming HP instead of MP. People are also probably still going crazy for Seer-subbed humans with dual wield. There's a lot of room to use a party that's fun for you.

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

So I just got Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe for cheap. Any thing I should know ahead of time?
For Viewtiful Joe:

* You want to get the VFX turbo charger as soon as possible. It's expensive, but save up for it. Only buy Sliding and Red Hot Kick, in that order, before the VFX turbo charger. You can throw in a Life upgrade or two if you feel you need it, but the VFX turbo charger will probably save you much more life.
* You should almost always wait to dodge an attack before hitting the enemy. They will wind up and a skull will appear on the screen before they attack, indicating whether they will attack high or low. Dodge accordingly to daze them.
* Once an enemy is dazed, you can perform combos in Slow mode. This is what the game is all about. Dodge an enemy's attack to daze them, then go into slow and start punching people around. The more hits you can land before leaving Slow, the more Viewtifuls you'll get. Viewtifuls are used to buy new techniques and upgrades. Stay in slow as long as you can comboing enemies - Sliding and Red Hot Kick make comboing more enemies at once easier.
* There are some puzzle sequences involving uses of slow, mach speed, and zoom. In general, slow has the additional effect of lowering objects and making things (like explosions or falling water droplets) bigger. Mach speed has the additional effect of raising things. You can use slow to lower certain minibosses, like helicopters, as well.
* You are (with a few exceptions) invincible while in Slow. If an attack would hit you while in Slow, Joe will automatically dodge it, but doing this drains a huge amount of VFX and usually reverts you to normal Joe.
* Red Hot Kick is great because jumping cancels any and all attack animations. So jumping and then immediately doing a Red Hot Kick allows you to cram far more hits into a given Slow combo than you could otherwise.
* Slow + Zoom + Red Hot One Hundred (hold B) is the highest damage output against all bosses. Stick to comboing most normal enemies unless you find them hard to dodge, though.
* While in Slow, kicking enemies sends them at a 90 degree angle. Punching them sends them straight forward. Uppercutting (crouch + punch) sends them, well, up. Use these facts accordingly to maximize combo potential.
* There are V canisters scattered throughout each level. Every 50 V canisters extends your maximum VFX power until the end of the level. Try not to miss these.
* Objects, such as V canisters, can be acquired by knocking enemies into them via uppercuts. Likewise, you can punch, kick, or uppercut enemies into larger enemies (like tanks or helicopters) while Slow'd to do huge amounts of damage. You can also deflect bullets with punches or kicks while in slow.
* When you get to the sequence in the last stage where you have to punch rockets into spaceships, hold Slow right before they hit the ship to generate a bigger explosion. It will make it go much, much faster.
* Cromartys (the enemies with black helmets) have a four-hit attack sequence instead of one, and all of them need to be dodged to slow-break them. Worse, they only display two skulls instead of four. But they only have two possible attack patterns, which if I recall correctly are down-up-down-up or up-up-down-up. (Don't quote me on this though.) Just try and learn their two patterns - you can always tell what the second two hits will be by the first two hits.
* If your VFX bar runs out, you'll revert to normal Joe. While you are normal Joe, enemies do twice as much damage to you and you will get your poo poo kicked in. This is part of why VFX Turbo Charger and Viewtiful Forever are important. VFX Turbo Charger will help you turn back into Viewtiful Joe faster, and if you activate Viewtiful Forever before getting hit, you will get invincibility frames which last just as long as it takes to turn back into Viewtiful Joe - meaning you can never be hit while as normal Joe.
* You will sometimes see chests that appear in the background rather than the foreground. You can only get these by using mach speed. If you attack an object while in mach speed, miniature versions of Joe will fly out and break any chests in the background. If you still can't seem to open them, you need a higher version of the mach speed upgrade.
* If you get stuck on the early minibosses like helicopters, remember: You can lower them with slow, and hitting Slow-dazed enemies into them does tons of damage.
* Have fun! This game is awesome.

Puppy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 6, 2009

John Adams Norsemen
Nov 25, 2009
I've gone through the first fifteen or so pages looking for Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) tips and found some but would appreciate more. I just started my first file and I'm not too far in at all.

Forklift Operator
Dec 6, 2009
I borrowed my brother's old NES in addition to Mega Mans 1-6. This is my first time playing any Mega Man game. They're supposed to be hard an stuff, but which one is the LEAST hard to start? Also, any other general advice?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

John Adams Norsemen posted:

I've gone through the first fifteen or so pages looking for Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) tips and found some but would appreciate more. I just started my first file and I'm not too far in at all.

Items are powerful in recovery, as they are instant. Being able to throw them, more so.

When casting, remember to check the turn order-press right on the spell selection page. Check when the spell will go off-you DON'T want your enemy to carry a powerful damage spell into your forces. They WILL do it without fail-they care not if they die. Of course, you can have an ally 'carry' a healing spell to someone out of range, or carry a damaging spell to the enemy. This is why you're allowed to set a spell to target a person or an area.

Thunderstorms increases the power of Thunder magic. Rainstorms and Thunderstorms reduce the power of Fire magic.

Auto-potion uses the LOWEST potion in your inventory. So make sure you've got only the highest sort, to keep it effective.

High Brave is very important-reaction abilities fire based on your Brave.

Different weapons use different calculations for damage. Knives and Ninja Swords, for example, use Speed in addition to Physical Attack. Sticks use Magic attack, NOT Physical attack. Katanas and Unarmed attacks use Brave as well as Physical Attack. Axes and Hangbags are highly random in their damage-they roll between 1 and your Physical Attack for their damage calculation.

Monks are surprisingly sturdy. It's worth going through Knight to get to them. Chakra can be surprisingly potent as self-healing, since it scales based on Physical Attack. Move-HP up can also be a life-saver.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Forklift Operator posted:

I borrowed my brother's old NES in addition to Mega Mans 1-6. This is my first time playing any Mega Man game. They're supposed to be hard an stuff, but which one is the LEAST hard to start? Also, any other general advice?

I like Mega Man 2 the best, but I really haven't played many others. Personally, I'd reccomend bombing through them from 1-6 because after you get used to some of the features later on (charge shots, sliding) it's harder to go back to the older games.

A few general tips:

You will die, you will game over. Accept this, and learn to live with near-impossible difficulty.

Every boss has a weakness, look up what they are if you're stuck. Sometimes they're obvious, sometimes they're dumb.

Don't worry about getting ever extra life or E-tank. you will jsut lose them when you inevitably game over.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

You've probably run across this tip already, but when the game asks you to save immediately after a battle always use a separate file. The last thing you want is to be stuck right before a battle you can't win and not be allowed to leave and grind levels/jobs.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That reminds me.

Level is nowhere near as important as abilities and job levels(to get new classes and more abilities). 90% of the power of your human characters is your gear and what abilities you have avalible. Monsters, on the other hand, are entirely dependant on level, and have the stat growth appropriate to that.

Concentrate on your abilities and let levels look after themselves.

Oh, and on the subject of abilities: When it comes to the Lancer, only bother learning the top ranks of Horizontal/Vertical jump. The skills control your maximum range, so you only need the highest rank.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 6, 2009

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

In Mega Man 2, beat Metal Man first. His weapon can shoot in six different directions, compared to the Mega Buster's pitiful two.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Binowru posted:

In Mega Man 2, beat Metal Man first. His weapon can shoot in six different directions, compared to the Mega Buster's pitiful two.

And it's strong against several bosses instead of the usual one. If I remember correctly it also uses almost no energy so you don't have to worry about running out that often.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The easiest is Mega Man 5 because of the obscene rate of 1-ups along with the general lenient game design, but I don't recommend you start there. I would recommend starting with Mega Man 2 and working your way up from there, then playing the original if you want more.

Mega Man 2 - As already said, Metal Man's weapon replaces your arm cannon as soon as you get it.

Mega Man 3 - (1) Learn the slide. It's crucial against most bosses. (2) Starting with this game, some bosses become hard-to-impossible without the right weapon. For example, try and fight Needle Man with the arm cannon and you will get destroyed.

Mega Man 4 and onwards - In these games you can charge up your shot. In general you should charge your shot against bosses and whenever you're not shooting. Against normal enemies charging your shot a second time isn't worth it because you'll do damage faster by spamming your regular attack. Against bosses, who have invincibility frames after getting hit, charging is more effective.

Mega Man 4 - There are optional, mobility-boosting items hidden pretty well in Dive Man's stage and in Pharaoh Man's stage.

Mega Man 5 is really easy and doesn't require any tips. Just find the letters to spell out MEGAMANV.

Mega Man 6 - (1) You get two transformations that are really useful; don't overlook them. (2) Make sure to find the alternative boss door in four of the stages to get access to Beat.

Mega Man 1 - (1) Elec Man's weapon destroys everything. (2) You will need the Guts Man weapon to access a necessary mobility enhancement.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jigsaw posted:

I just picked up Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 2 for the GBA. I'd love to play the first, but haven't found a copy, so I'm pretty much completely lost as far as plot goes. It also didn't have a manual, so if anyone could post a link to a place that has the manual (replacement docs doesn't), or a brief like what would be found in the manual, and maybe a link to a plot summary of the first game, it would really help. It's fun so far, but I'm so confused.

CaptainRat gave some good advice about it earlier in the thread. Also, he's a swell guy; he didn't mind me PMing him a zillion times about questions. Try dropping him a line with your questions.

If I had the manual, I'd scan it in for ya, but in all honesty I think my cat ate it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

You are forced to use Cid and Adelle during some optional missions, but my team was strong enough to beat the mission anyway. Adelle can actually turn into a pretty good character though so you could even use her in your main team.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

Megaman

Megaman 1
You must defeat Gutsman before Elecman. Like Draile said, you need his weapon to access an accessory which is required in the final stages of the game and if you beat Elecman first you can't go back and get it. This item will also make some of the regular levels easier, especially those with disappearing blocks.

*edit* I am an idiot :(

There's a yellow blob boss that is an absolute bitch to kill. You can cheese him though: Shoot the eye with the Elecman's weapon. Once it starts hitting the boss, rapidly pause and unpause the game. The elecbeam will hit the eye multiple times and the fight will end quickly.

Megaman 2
One boss is you fighting a bunch of half-circles on the wall. He's a bitch, but you can make him easier:
You will need full Crash Bombs to kill him. One way is to destroy all the barriers first, die, refill on crash bombs, and fight him again. The barriers will be gone and you can actually miss once or twice and take the easier route through the room.

If you're having trouble dodging his shots, you can rapidly pause/unpause when he shoots at you. When unpausing the bullets will go right through Megaman and mashing is good enough for perfect timing.

Seriously, gently caress that boss.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 7, 2009

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I just started playing Fallout 3, and my friend lent me the discs for all of the expansions minus Mothership Zeta.

He told me to hold off on installing Broken Steel since it will populate the world with high-level enemies. Also, he said to do Operation Anchorage early since it will allow me to use power armor.

Any other tips like this relating to the expansions?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

who cares posted:

I just started playing Fallout 3, and my friend lent me the discs for all of the expansions minus Mothership Zeta.

He told me to hold off on installing Broken Steel since it will populate the world with high-level enemies. Also, he said to do Operation Anchorage early since it will allow me to use power armor.

Any other tips like this relating to the expansions?

Collect all the ingots in The Pitt before installing Point Lookout -- for some reason a roof you need to walk across to get some of the ingots stops being solid after Point Lookout is installed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Collect all the ingots in The Pitt before installing Point Lookout -- for some reason a roof you need to walk across to get some of the ingots stops being solid after Point Lookout is installed.

Hmm. The Fallout wiki says this has been fixed, although I don't know what version of Point Lookout is on the discs.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

I just bought Two Worlds for PC from GoGamer for $1.90. I've heard the game was terrible at launch, but improved with patches and mods. Is this true, and if so, where should I go for said improvements? If it's still horrible, will it still be fun for shits, giggles, etc.?

Crusty Juggler fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 6, 2009

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Anyone have any tips for Titan Quest? I played around with it a bit and it seems like one of those RPGS that if I pick the wrong class combination I'll end up with something useless halfway through the game.

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.

Most of what needs to be said has already been said, but

* The Squire has an ability called Gained JP Up, which makes you gain substantially more JP for every action you take, allowing you to learn abilities much faster. Learn this on every character ASAP (it's relatively cheap) and use it often. Of course, there are lots of really good abilities which are mutually exclusive with it, so if you are having a hard fight then by all means equip Two Swords or whatever instead.

* Likewise, Auto-Potion can be learned from the Chemist very early on and is extremely powerful for most of the game. It may be worth fighting 4-5 random battles early in the game to acquire these abilities for your core team.

* Get accessories which increase your movement stat early on. You can buy Battle Boots which give Move+1 very early in the game. These will serve you very well.

* Each character needs to level particular jobs to a certain level before other jobs unlock for that character. For example, being a Lancer requires having a level 3 Thief. I'd advise finding a guide or chart that tells you the job level requirements for each advanced job. Getting access to Ninja early in the game is really powerful.

* There are some jobs which are pretty bad themselves, but have abilities which go well on other jobs. For example, Knights, Archers and Thieves will not have much use past the first chapter (I actually kind of like Archers once you get really high-end equips but that is neither here nor there) but carry abilities like Concentrate which are extremely powerful. You may also need to level them to unlock better jobs. Try to avoid using these in tough fights, but don't neglect them.

* If you use Thieves, make them female. Steal Heart is an ability which charms enemies of the opposite sex, and far more enemies are male than female.

* There is a way to look at what the turn order will be for the foreseeable future (i.e. Ramza goes next, then Delita, then Algus, etc.) This is extremely helpful for figuring out how to cast your spells - you can know whether your Cure spell will resolve before the next enemy gets his turn, for example. However, I forget how to do this every game (does anyone else remember?)

Puppy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 6, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

In addition to what's already said:

* Counter is the best all purpose reaction ability. All units should spend some time as a monk to get it. Blade Grasp, Damage split and Counter Flood are also very useful, everything else has uncommon triggers or isn't very useful.

* Move-MP up coupled with MP Switch will keep your guys that don't need MP alive for a very long time.

* Reload the Zigolis Swamp plot battle until you see the Uribo (pig monster). Be sure to invite it. Breed it and poach its offspring. You can't claim poached items until chapter 3, but the items you can poach from the Wildbow and Porky are very useful, and can make your female characters unstoppable.

* Speaking of Poaching, don't bother poaching the first or second tiers of most monsters. (Yellow/Black vs. Red Chocobos). Notable poaches: Sacred(Purple minitaurus) -> Holy Lance, The best poaching rewards of come from dragons/hydras/behemoths/pigs. The rest really aren't worth it.

* Most jobs have skillsets that are better suited for use with other jobs. Example Battle Skill (Knight) works best on classes that can equip guns for the increased range. Math Skill (Calculator)/Draw Out can be devastating, but calculators/samurai are both too slow and don't have the Magical Attack to back it up.

* If you target a unit with a spell and that unit moves before the spell is triggered then the spell will be centred around the unit's new location. Take advantage of this by using element absorbing armour or summons which only effect enemies.

* Never equip axes, flails or bags. They may have the best Physical Attack stat when you get them, but they're too unreliable for regular use.

* Geomancers are often underrated, but they have decent physical attack and Elemental is extremely useful for it's added effect. Particularly Carve Model.

* It's not going to come into play for a long time, but you can catch some weapons thrown by very high level ninjas that are otherwise limited to one each play through.

* Do not put units with low faith onto the magic based jobs (Anything that stems from chemist). Less than 70 and you're going to be disappointed with magic.

* Low brave is best for units who will be using Move-Find item. Each trap square contains two hidden items, but you can only get one of them each game. Your chance is of getting the worse one is linearly related to your brave. That said, don't worry about picking up Move-Find Item with the exception of Nelveska Temple, The Volcano, Germanias Peak and the Deep Dungeon. None of which you will see before the 4th chapter.

* Some spells and summons can be learnt for free by being hit with and surviving them. In general that's Fire/Ice/Bolt 4, Haste/Slow 2 and the most expensive half of summons. There are also a couple of abilities that can only be gained this way.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Megaman 1
You must defeat Gutsman before Elecman. Like Draile said, you need his weapon to access an accessory which is required in the final stages of the game and if you beat Elecman first you can't go back and get it. This item will also make some of the regular levels easier, especially those with disappearing blocks.

This is not true. You can go back to competed stages in all Mega Man games but 2 and 3. Elecman's weapon can also be used to retrieve the item in question, but requires a return trip to the stage.

General Mega Man tips. Play around with your special weapons. There is no reason to stick with the p shooter all the time. Also knowing how to use a weapon will make using it simpler.

Random weapon tricks:

Megaman 1: Ice slasher can freeze enemies and even fire jets. Elecman's weapon can destroy the blocks that gutsman's weapon can pick up.

Megaman 2: Atomic Fire can be charged.

Crash bombs do more damage to enemies caught in the explosion as opposed to direct hits.

Megaman 3: The height of Hard knuckle can be changed while the shot is in the air by pressing up or down.

Top spin only works while jumping, and can be pretty devastating.

Megaman 4: Drill Bombs can be detonated prematurely by hitting the attack button again.

Phaoroh Shot can be charged, if you hit an enemy with the ball that appears above your head you can still fire the shot at that sane strength.

You can still basic shots while Flash Stopper is in effect.

Sorry don't remember specifics for the other two right now.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I want to kill (a life)time and just reinstalled Dungeon Siege 2.

I basically just want to steamroll it without cheating. It's been ages since I played it now, what are the imba skills and are there any mods and patches I should get my hands on? I got the expansion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Polite Tim posted:

Just got Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, any tips?

If you don't want to spend a lot of time grinding, just run with one group. And I'd advise against filling it with unique characters because they get less xp or don't count as the class they actually are or something (I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know there's some drawback to loading a party with the unique guys).

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

ActionPlatypus posted:

I just bought Two Worlds for PC from GoGamer for $1.90. I've heard the game was terrible at launch, but improved with patches and mods. Is this true, and if so, where should I go for said improvements? If it's still horrible, will it still be fun for shits, giggles, etc.?

The Steam version i have is fine, and its a fun game, just a few things to note really:

If an item has a permanent effect it needs to be combined with a potion in order to recieve that effect.

Boost lock pick asap because the majority of the best loot comes from advanced lock chests (obviously).

Do all the sidequests as it gets you buff for fighting some of the harder enemies.

Make sure you do all the sidequests in the oriental town at the bottom left of the map before proceeding with the main quest in that town,Orcs ransack the poo poo out of the place immediately after you get the scepter piece

Go full class whichever one you choose, mix matching makes your character pretty poo poo overall. If you are going for Mage, make sure you loot everything in order to get decent spells, and have a back up plan ready.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ornamented Death posted:

If you don't want to spend a lot of time grinding, just run with one group. And I'd advise against filling it with unique characters because they get less xp or don't count as the class they actually are or something (I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know there's some drawback to loading a party with the unique guys).

The main character can get bonus stats from merging with certain townsfolk, making him/her quite strong as long as the other members of the group support him accordingly. I'm running with two pyremages, two archers and Vitali in my main team at the moment.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just started Beneath a Steel Sky, and I have mad respect for whoever made this game legally free. Anything I should pick up? I suck at point-and-clickers, so any advice would be good.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I've been playing Mass Effect, I remember from earlier in the thread that you shouldn't do any quests in the citadel until something or other but I've completely forgotten what I was supposed to be waiting for :doh:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

So I just got Killer 7 ... for cheap. Any thing I should know ahead of time?

MASK is a generally useless character outside of necessary plot moments; you get extra blood for knocking off limbs and hitting weak points but MASK's grenade launchers just kill without allowing you to get blood. However, he does have the best cutscenes and becomes a superhero so that's pretty cool I guess.

Kevin sucks and is never useful. I don't think any puzzles require you to use his invisibility power outside of one where you have to get through a laser grid. Don't use him and don't waste your vials on him. Put them all into Con until you get his auto-lock ability, then farm blood with him to pump up the character you really want to use (not Kevin/MASK).

Ulmeyda's weakness is his afro.

The fast girl running around and is the only "standard" boss, use Con against her; everyone else is a puzzle/game.

Sidenote: describing Killer7 makes you realize how hosed up a game it is, but it really is one of the best games I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kuno posted:

I've been playing Mass Effect, I remember from earlier in the thread that you shouldn't do any quests in the citadel until something or other but I've completely forgotten what I was supposed to be waiting for :doh:

If you're going for the achievement for having Liara with you for most of the game, then you need to avoid citadel quests. If it's your first run don't bother, just pick a couple dudes you like (I'm fond of Wrex/Garrus, myself) and go hog wild. I would recommend going to the Normandy, though, since I think one party member joins you there.